Sign in to follow this  
=BKHZ=Furbs

Trees

So I made a test on my computer in RoF environment. And I have to say yes, trees are really still watching me. BUT:

1) It doesn't happen when I'm flying low over the ground and trees. It means I've never experienced something like this in close distance/low level flying when it could disturbed me.

2) I realized the trees are spinning, when I was at about 1km of altitude and with full zoom in on nearest trees I was passing over.

So on my computer and with my setting (and I have the RoF set up for the best visual output) spinning trees are unnoticeable.

Well, as far as I know distant trees use 2D billboard textures (always facing you), there is no way you can have hundreds or even thousands of real 3D tree models visible with that distance. Even the latest Battlefield still uses billboards.

Hundreds would be easy, using instancing from DX11 or OpenGL.  

In fact  on a flight sim the techniques are a bit more complex than in shooters.  At long distances you have generic forest objects that   can  five the fluffy effect trough shaders, that can become  impostors (aligned billboards)  when approaching and finnaly   transform into  instancing of  simple objects when even closer.

What's the point of having trees at all if they are not going to have collision modeled. We're trying to experience the excitement of flight simming and being able to fly through trees without penalty ruins that realism. IMO, there's no question that trees must have collision models. I'd think the tree collision would be as basic a feature as being damaged from crashing into the ground.

:lol:

Guys, this is all a moot point. All of ROF's trees have a collision model and so will those in BOS. 

:lol:

Guys, this is all a moot point. All of ROF's trees have a collision model and so will those in BOS. 

LOL. True. Too true Luke. I got caught up in the moment. Given Furbs parameters I thought it was okay to muse about the necessity of collidable trees, though.

And Stalingrad area have few trees, probable not sufficient to someone hidden between then. :P

Online flight sim players, if allowed, fly under water and bellow the ground.  :)

BTW - Battleground Europe have nice (solid) trees, and have thousands.

Sokol1

Edited by Sokol1

Luke, the reason for the post wasn't a question to whether BOS has collidable trees or not, i know it does. It was more a question of does a WW2 flight sim really need them or can it manage well enough without.

Are they really important or not?

I think they are myself, but i was interested to hear peoples opinion.

I prefer the speedtree solution in CoD because spinning sprites are so 1990's and remind me of playing Wolfenstein3D. I always thought they should have combined the speedtrees with transparent object 'walls' tho, so people would collide with some thing when flying through trees. Just 'walls' following the tree-line around a field, or around the perimeter of a forest, plus a few 'walls' criss-crossing the forest. Object-wise I don't think such 'walls' would be prohibitive.

Wings of War (an arcade WW1 game) had a similar solution, Frey.

I looked at it as another 'ground level' where the land would extend to tree top level.... an invisible twenty foot plateau that outlined and followed the tree-line, if you will.

Edited by Robert