BM357_TinMan

Dead Horse Beating (Regarding Buying BoM)

Ok so I'll preface by stating the obvious.  What I am about to say has been stated many times already.  However, it is the way I feel and I wanted to post it, if for no other reason, to let the developers know how one (more) of their customers feel.

I'm still on the fence concerning BoM.  There are many reasons for my hesitation and that hesitation has little to do with the quality of BoS.  For the most part BoS is actually a pretty good sim.  I enjoyed several hours playing the prerelase version.  I enjoyed riding the wave of development week to week (mostly).  I can and will list, briefly the issues that have contributed to the fact that I have not played this game since it was released for more than about 20 minutes.  But, the reason I am hesitating at this point an be summed up in one sentence:

The producers of this product seem to have little concept on how a proper producer to customer relationship should work.

They have made a few decisions that were patently absurd and also even gone so far as to threaten the customer base when a good portion of the customers balked.

The way said customers behaved leads something to be desired and the merits of it can be debated, however, when a good portion of your customer base is truly upset about a development decision and takes legitimate and reasonable exception to it, your best course of action is to see how best to meet your customer somewhere.  Not dig in your heels, get offended and defensive, then right nasty threatening posts. 

This here is the main reason I hesitate.  I would probably have still bought the stupid BoM game already if it wasn't for one more thing....

I can NOT seem to figure out how to host a multiplayer game.  If there is something I'm missing, I apologize, but at this point, it doesn't seem like it is possible.
There is no "multiplayer" section in the main screen that allows you to host a computer to computer connection like there has been on p.c. games since.....who knows when.  I don't even see a dedicated server anywhere that I can download.  I have a small number of friends that I fly with.  I told one, "let's check out IL BoS and fly it together."  I went to put up a quick game and low and behold, there was no apparent way to host.  Needless to say, we do NOT fly BoS at all at this time.

List of what has put a sour taste in mouth concerning this product and this company:  *See above for details

- Really crappy customer relations*
- Multiplayer*
- Forced unlocks and the developers stance/reaction concerning them
- Forced locked/limited video settings (really?!)
- Stupid difficulty setting presets.  There are ways to make this actually work halfway decent (see Desastersoft's IL2 SoW addon if you can't seem to figure it out) I REALLY HATE THIS STUPID limitation
- The fact that it took so long to get a mission editor and when we finally did get the editor, the general feeling I got was "be glad we even gave you one"
- There are few other things, but I feel that they are more personal perferance/nit-picky stuff, so I won't include them as a reason for not buying

There is one other thing, but it really doesn't play much into why I have bought BoM yet.  I am not interested in the Russian front.  I bought BoS because I had hoped it would be the beginning of a long list of add-ons that would start in Russia and add theaters/planes that I am interested in.  My thought at the time was, I am not interested in this theater, but I am sure that there are plenty that are and, understandably, the developers are interested.  However, the next add-on they create is another Russian theater.  And this one is actually kind of obscure.  Battle of Moscow?!  It just kind of smacks of what I started out saying about how these developers/producers appear to regard their customers.  I might be way of base here but, I bet that most people who fly these want to fly something other than the Russian front but are willing to support this project because they are hoping for a high quality sim in the theater that they are interested in.

Anyway, that last paragraph is probably total b.s. on my part, but it is how I feel.  And, like I said, had it not been for the first two issues, I would have already purchased BoM.

777/1C or whoever you guys are, take that for what it worth and if you care, that is why you have, up until the time of this posting, lost a customer.  A customer that bought IL2 BoS as soon as it became available for pre-purchase.

S`

TynMahn (aka BM357_TinMan)

• Upvote 4

I have like a million maps in my modded 1946 game. I always seem to be flying the eastern front maps. I was actually hoping Moscow would be the next step so I could get a MiG-3. I really thought the next step was going to be MTO though.

• Upvote 1

I don't even see a dedicated server anywhere that I can download.

You really don't need download, because you can find a file called DServer.exe in /bin/game folder. :lol:  

You really don't need download, because you can find a file called DServer.exe in /bin/game folder. :lol:  

Thank you for that....I am looking into it now....Kind of excited about it.  But again, the whole tone of having to request a special account to host a dserver and that said account is "property of ....." is off putting.   I bought this game, it is a m/p game, I should be able to host m/p without jumping through any additional hoops with the, below the surface, understanding that my ability to host is at the pleasure of the people who make this game.....wt&?!

Edited by TynMahn

You raise some valid points along your rant, but you completely lose me at the end when complaining about the choice of theatre for the next installment.

Battle of Moscow, obscure???? Are you friggin' kidding me???

It's only, like, one of the major turning points of the entire WW2 (arguably the turning point) it was the dramatic high tide of the largest and bloodiest invasion in history and marked the first point where a major German land offensive completely failed. If not for the victory outside Moscow there might have been no victory in WW2 altogether.

In terms of scope, the battle also ranks among the largest ever fought in terms of numbers involved, size of battle space and casualties. It was certainly larger than Stalingrad by a large margin and much, much larger than anything the Western theatre ever saw.

Please take this opportunity to educate yourself about this, you are missing out on one of the greatest dramas in history.

• Upvote 3

While I respect that the Eastern Front may not interest you, it did produce the highest scoring aces in history on both sides. 

Erich_Hartmann-1_zps5sk6pxbw.jpg9c268ea0e9c7a426ea758016a7c0fc41_zpseimg

cap_rall_zpsjj5moc3z.jpg

kozhedub-2_zpstsqqtmyt.jpg

I personally think its a very interesting and sobering part of the history of WWII

Regarding the DServer, there are some fairly clear instructions here (They've worked for us, anyway), as well as a quick tutorial about setting up a basic DF map. Prangster's done a couple of other tutorials for us too, which he's put in that forum.

I agree that the DServer set up is convoluted (and if you have TIR running, start the game before the dserver (alt-tab out to start up the server!). Grrrrr!), but it works pretty well. I also agree that the Mission Editor is also convoluted in many ways, but it is very powerful and also works well once you're used to it - particularly if you import ready-made "groups" of objects from the mission making forum.

Personally, I completely disagree about the communication from the Devs. I think this has been exemplary, and much more thorough than I've experienced from any other developer I can think of. Yes, some of their decisions have seemed arbitary, and many of them I disagree with, but they've explained many of them. Even though I disagree with some of them I can understand why they've made the decisions they have - mostly! But they are craaaazy Russians!  ;)

Edit: there's also a growing collection of SP and MP missions in the mission makers' forum. Some of them are great!

Edited by No601_Swallow

You need to register a 2nd account to run the Dserver from a separate PC. I looked for the thread briefly and didn't find it but basically you register a 2nd account on the main page with a separate email and then send a support ticket to customer support asking for the permission to get the limited account.

One of the greatest things of original Il-2 and BoS is the fact that they model air war in eastern front. There were huge war going on but not so much sims about it.

I find it very interesting theater and hope to see other eastern battles in future. But thats just me :)

And hopefully we get decent campaign to fly these great battles eventually ;)

• Upvote 1

Apart from your motivation for not choosing the Moskow theatre, I fully share your feelings and actions on this topic.

The main message of your post however is undeniable IMHO,

Devs, I hope you continue improving on  your already slightly altered  course.

I am gonna wait this one out. 

Well, your thoughts are noted. Sounds like you have some thinking still to do. Good luck with your decision.