Exit your aircraft when landed

645 members have voted

1. 1. Exiting the aircraft after landing

• That's what we need
    • We don't need it

This poll is closed to new votes

In IL2 series, we lack this key. We can only bail out or remain in the cockpit until mission ends, which in some cases may be dangerous for the pilot ( enemy strafing, teamamtes crash on landing ).

I would like to see this feature in BoS - it would let us keep our full mission score and watch how our squaddies are doing, without leaving the mission and waiting for new one in the lobby.

Added to suggestions http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/767-thread-gather-your-suggestions/page-3

Poll is up - vote away!

Guys, this suggestion is not to make you take a stroll around your aircraft, but to finish the mission without exiting it and without bailing out when landed. So this isn't meant to be a gimmick.

You can either sit in your cockpit till mission ends and hope not to be strafed, bombed or crashed into, or hit "end flight" key and remain in-game thus see what others are up to.

This is not present in IL2 series yet.

Bailing out on friendly airfield/carrier means you score half of your points for the mission. Introduction of this feature would prevent it, provided "end flight" would only work when safe on the ground, as "bail out" is there to quickly exit plane with a wing missing few thousand feet above the ground.

Keep on voting.

• Upvote 1

Guys, this suggestion is not to make you take a stroll around your aircraft, but to finish the mission without exiting it and without bailing out when landed. So this isn't meant to be a gimmick.

You can either sit in your cockpit till mission ends and hope not to be strafed, bombed or crashed into, or hit "end flight" key and remain in-game thus see what others are up to.

It's still a gimmick. What is supposed to happen if your airfield is strafed, bombed, or a plane crashes into you after you exit the plane? Should the pilot be able to walk only, or should be able to run? Should he just stand there after exiting, or should he be able to sit down somewhere? What if I end the mission as a gunner? Would that mean I'd have to crawl up to a fuselage hatch and then exit (i.e., lots of animation work). What if the plane sits so high on the ground that a ladder is the only feasible way to exit the plane? In such a case, should said ladder just magically appear when I exit the plane? 

Sorry, but unless something like this is well-thought out and executed, I don't want it. 

• Confused 2

Hmhm, in absence of "nice to have" i voted i need it... though i don´t .

Best, Allons!

Yeah me too.. for the same reason..

Bailing out on friendly airfield/carrier means you score half of your points for the mission. Introduction of this feature would prevent it, provided "end flight" would only work when safe on the ground, as "bail out" is there to quickly exit plane with a wing missing few thousand feet above the ground.

Keep on voting.

I understand exactly what you mean. Sort of like a way to exit your aircraft without loosing points..

I vote for it to be a necessary thing, because once upon a time, I performed an ugly emergency landing at Hawkinge and I flipped my Spitfire over its nose. While I thought that I was just safe enough if I didn't undo my straps, reminding that I might have broken my neck, I decided to remain in the cockpit for a while and listen and look around for the battle upon my skies, since I knew that I had been followed by a few 109s. Then I heard that gut wrenching whistle approaching. Then bullets were tearing down my airframe and myself. That volley killed me instantly.

While I was greatly amazed at how the AI behaved that time, I had also wished that maybe, if I was careful enough, I might have undone my straps and made it out alive.

Edited by Picchio

Hi all, my first post on this forum :salute:

I voted yes of course. Having a virtual body and being able to climb in and exit the plane is the first step towards a truly immersive approach of history imo. Missions should start and end in the briefing room. A textual menu would suffice there though.

Regards,

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

Gentlemen, with all due respect,you misunderstand this idea.

This is not about animated pilot walking around the aircraft or move out of the aircraft. No animation whatsoever.

We have CTRL+E to eject from the aircraft but we don't have the key to FINISH the mission ( i.e. CTRL+F ) when on the ground. You end mission and that's it, no animated body to run around in

Simple MISSION END key while staying in the game

• Sad 1

That option is present in RoF and will thus also be in BoS.

Unless you also mean the possibility to spectate, that's only possible if the server allows external views.

This is a good idea, and expanding on it, we could go so far as a "Ready Room".  Hang out while your buddies are getting on line, a usable map so you can post up a jpeg of the days mission like they did in the day... Man that would be the bee knees. And would be grand with my side project for this.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i know the walking around thing is not priority, but the kind of immersion you get with a game like star citezen, how you can walk up to your plane and get in, that takes the immersion to a whole new level, maybe after the game is out. for future updates, it would be killer if i could walk around, nothing else just walk, maybe sit in the briefing room. not too much, but maybe when the game is actually out.  :) 

Great idea, but to me the big thing is making sure the game works well in all key aspects....then add in immersion things like this... but i must say also the game is way more immersive than War Thunder in full real mode....after CoD, i didnt think i would enjoy another il2 game, but man.....hooked already. well played 777, #golfclap

• 2 weeks later...

Cool.

Just imagine finishing a successful mission in P-39, than come home, land, exit the plane and slam the cockpit door behind you like a boss. :big_boss:  :biggrin:

I have a good idea.

If you land, you can walk around wherever you want and either end the mission or enter some sort of building and trigger the end of the mission. OR, if you happen to bailout over friendly territory, the squadron's car is spawned as you hit the button. As you land you can see it driving through streets and when you land you walk over to it, get inside it and drives off, thus ending the mission.

If over enemy territory, an enemy truck with soldiers is spawned and takes you prisoner.

How about that! :)

• Upvote 1

I have voted some time ago, but yesterday during a mission I had to land (worth to note that it was not a belly-landing, so my aircraft was still intact and engine still running, although coughing heavily) on the snowy fields of Russia because of the damage taken by my engine, and the clever AI strafed me a couple of times. It was thrilling for sure, but I'd like to have the chance to undo my straps instead of sitting in there like a poor fool.

I have voted some time ago, but yesterday during a mission I had to land (worth to note that it was not a belly-landing, so my aircraft was still intact and engine still running, although coughing heavily) on the snowy fields of Russia because of the damage taken by my engine, and the clever AI strafed me a couple of times. It was thrilling for sure, but I'd like to have the chance to undo my straps instead of sitting in there like a poor fool.

that's exactly the reason for this poll. We should be able to finish the mission and yet remain in-game to view our friends as they fight.

Voted yes, and of course - as in the original il-2 -  the "exited" pilot should by "strafable" (like in some gun cam).  :hunter:

But, if he duck - like in original il-2 - means he take cover and became "un-strafable". 

And mission points?  :P  This sound "gamey".

:biggrin:

Sokol1

It's still a gimmick. What is supposed to happen if your airfield is strafed, bombed, or a plane crashes into you after you exit the plane? Should the pilot be able to walk only, or should be able to run? Should he just stand there after exiting, or should he be able to sit down somewhere? What if I end the mission as a gunner? Would that mean I'd have to crawl up to a fuselage hatch and then exit (i.e., lots of animation work). What if the plane sits so high on the ground that a ladder is the only feasible way to exit the plane? In such a case, should said ladder just magically appear when I exit the plane? 

Sorry, but unless something like this is well-thought out and executed, I don't want it. 

:salute:

• 1 month later...

I think it should be implemented but in a limited way to add immersion, like you shouldn't be able to take a stroll around the city but something like a small scene around your plane on ditching or landing where your taken off as prisoner, casualty or picked up by a staff car then it cuts back to your base/hospital or prison camp to help round off the mission and move onto the next- bit like the convoy rolling along the road in RoS.

I'd love to add being able to enter building to access screens and have a mess back at your own base but I guess that would be a ton of extra work so the short scenes would be less time consuming to produce and because naturally this is a flight sim not arma as somebody has already pointed out.

Yes in ARMA 3 teh effect of getting in an aircraft is awesome.. having this into a sim.. well it's a matter of time that we will so why not it's fun and we can enjoy other sides of a monotone square ideas about what a Sim should only do..   well DCS already simply started it too. :)

I play combat flight sims for (wait for it)...the aspect of flight. I don't care one iota about being able to walk around my plane. If I want to walk around an airplane I'll go to a museum. 

we can enjoy other sides of a monotone square ideas about what a Sim should only do.

What?

• Haha 1

I think it'd be great to have something like what Star Citizen is doing (i.e., animations for getting in and out of your AC, ability to walk around, grab your gear perhaps?) Imagine a well animated frantic sprint to your plane while your base is being attacked and the struggle to get your plane airborne...

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This feature is even more important when using realistic setting difficulty and therefore not being able to check aircraft for damage. I hope that developers will consider this feature.

i want exit anytime option, even in the air. and parachute will be manually deployed by pressing another button!

That's a really good point about having to press separate buttons for exiting an aircraft and for deploying your 'chute. As far as I know none of the parachutes WWII pilots wore were static-line deployed, so the pilot would need to actually deploy after egress, and even then after getting at least somewhat stable in the air.

IIRC, in CloD you also had a separate button for jettison canopy you had to press before you could bail. So I suppose three buttons would be more appropriate.

Some would probably script the three buttons in their HOTAS so they only have to press one button, but I for one would not. Instead, I would appreciate the slight additional workload of pressing three buttons in proper sequence to represent having to keep some wits about you in perhaps the most stress-inducing situation our pilots would have faced.

Oh - and back on topic, on full-real MP servers I would really like the option to walk around my plane and look for damage.

Charlo

Edited by Charlo
  • Upvote 1

I never thought I'd make this poll stay active for such a long time. Thank you all for adding to this. Regretabbly, I cannot edit the poll and add the option "would be nice to have".

"Finishing the flight" key would be great to safely disappear from the aircraft/or run away from it... Let the Devs work their magic on the issue. The key here is to remain in game upon landing safely, to enjoy the view of your squaddies still in the air. Exit mission would be definite "back to lobby".

Multiplayer/Co-opeartive modes are not yet implemented yet, but I cannot imagine Co-operative mode without this feature. Also I would love to see rearming/refueling the aircraft and scrambling again...

• 4 weeks later...

Keep on voting.

Upvoted

The key here is to remain in game upon landing safely, to enjoy the view of your squaddies still in the air.

I think you are proposing a limited spectator view where you can watch whatever action is happening near where you landed/crashed/bailed. The chief problem I see with that (at least for MP) is that TeamSpeak will still be possible after you leave your plane. There will be some who will use this to act as air traffic controllers for their friends who are still in the fight.

There is no lobby with this title. When you end your mission you remain in the map, as has been seen with the current MP playability. There is no need to stay on the airfield, you'll see your squad mates being shot down or shooting down planes while remaining within the game/mission. It's a feature that may have worked with the old Il-2 series, this isn't doing anything the same as the old Il-2 series.