Feathered_IV

Download: Ambient VVS Radio for MP Immersion

This small modification provides replacement sound files for the default rep_infire.ogg and rep_wounded.ogg ones.

What it does:

Instead of the very repetitive cry of "I'm wounded!" whenever an online player is injured, you will now hear distant radio chatter from other Soviet units in combat.  The voices of both Male and female pilots are included.  The recordings run over the course of several minutes.  For those who do not speak Russian, you will hear a flight of four aircraft attacking a vehicle column, engaging with rockets before strafing with guns.  One flyer will have a very close call.  The other scenario sees a reconnaissance aircraft pursued by an enemy fighter.  Two Soviet aircraft race to save the recon plane, however the leader of the two is shot down before the German fighter is in turn destroyed. 

What it does not do:

It doesn't break your game or get you banned.  Don't worry. 

What I might do in the future:

If player numbers increase to the point where the sample plays so often that it too becomes repetitive, I may make another one that is more generic.  Or perhaps shorter.  I dunno.  We'll see...

INSTALLATION:

To install, extract the folders Actors 1 to 5 and place them in your RuS folder located in, IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\Audio\radio\rus
It is strongly recommended that you back up your original "rep_infire.ogg" and "rep_wounded.ogg" files from each of these Actors folders before doing so.

Enjoy and happy flying!
F_IV

As always with Mediafire, right click the download button and select "save target as" to avoid being buggered about by ads.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/381147qhozgay7k/Ambient+VVS+Radio+for+MP+Immersion+by+Feathered_IV.rar

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Upvote 14

Cool stuff...I'm only just listening to them in VLC right now (not in game) but it does sound like it may be a bit distracting since there's always background noise. That may be an issue since you can't change the volume of the radio in-game. Very visceral though, great stuff!

For those that want to try this but want to have the option to return back to stock sounds with a click of a button, I highly suggest installing this using JSGME. http://www.oovee.co.uk/forum/files/file/694-jsgme-mod-enabler/

Edited by AbortedMan

JSGME is a good idea. Regarding the background noise, it's impossible to hear it over the sound of the engine. It wouldn't be hard to reduce though. I found some freeware sound editing programs that are a dream to work with. :)

JSGME is a good idea. Regarding the background noise, it's impossible to hear it over the sound of the engine. It wouldn't be hard to reduce though. I found some freeware sound editing programs that are a dream to work with. :)

Awesome. Thanks for putting this together. I'm going to test it out tonight.

OH NOEZ! NOT MODZ!

Excellent stuff here.

thank you, I've always been a fan of your ROF enhancements.

Bring on the mods!

Thanks!  Bring em on indeed.

Here's an improved version.  I've removed an unwanted burst of static from the beginning of the sound file, so that it fades in without you realising it.  It sounds a lot more natural.

I've also saved the files at a much lower bit rate so they are about half the size.  The lower the better so that there is no stutter when they begin to play.  Oh, and its JSGME ready now too.  :salute:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5vsh206kjmae7nh/V.2+Ambient+VVS+Radio+for+MP+Immersion+by+Feathered_IV.rar

• Upvote 5

Installed JSGME into BoS over a month ago just waiting to use it.

And now I can.

I know nothing about modding. But, I sure do appreciate those that do and share their talents.

Thank you.

S! 

Hi Feathered, just to let you know that I installed your sound mod, went online and its just great. I particularly like the female voices and it was very immersive, many thanks again for your great efforts.

Very cool. I'm just having a listen to the tracks now.

I will have to try this out later tonight, cheers! 

I was thinking though -if your other thread is anything to go by- only about 5% of the community will ever fly VVS to hear it!  :lol:  

Been playing tonight and realized I haven't heard the new radio stuff at all...then realized I'm flying Germany tonight. Need moar German radio chatter please!

Thanks Feathered.....this is just another positive indication of how guys like you are going to make this game better...

Thank you for your work. I have a feeling, the mods-on mode will be eventually re-introduced, if only for single player. 

This was pretty nice man. I could tell it was repeating but because it was spoken so softly/consistently it wasnt glaring or anything. I felt like it added a lot of ambiance. If you add more in the future I would suggest you have shorter transmissions, since radio comms are supposed to be as concise as possible. Long conversations are the exception.

Oh an please, pleas do this for germany too if you could!

I'm testing a German one now.  I don't have as many voice samples to work from, but it should work out okay.  Most of the testing involves doing lazy eights in a Heinkel somewhere, waiting for somebody to get wounded so I can see how it sounds.  :dry:  

If the Devs added an in-flight music folder like the old Il-2 had, we could really do something great.  But hopefully this will do as a workaround until then.

• Upvote 2

Awesome work Feathered!

Will have to wait till I get home from vacation to try it out, but I really appreciate your efforts.

They should introduce the mods-on mode just to make you happy :)

Have a cookie.

Yeap. Looks also god. I will try it on the weekend if I have time. Thaks for the effort!

Another cookie from me :-)

Edited by peterla

Hi Feathered, thanks for this. I have installed JSGME and downloaded your JSGME compatible mod from Mediafire but it comes as an Adobe file that I cant open nor do anything with??????????//

Wha?! How strange. Did you right-click on the mediafire download button and select Save Target As?

Hmm. Are you on a PC? Macs might be different I think. Just to be clear, you click the link above that takes you to the Mediafire page. Then you right click the long rectangular download button on the upper right. A drop down menu appears, from which you select save-target-as? Google chrome uses a different phrase I think, but there is an identical function. I'm not at home right now but I'll double check that it's working as soon as I get back.

No hurry mate. I am on a PC with Firefox. I get the drop down box from the download button but "save target as" is not one of the options.

Edited by pilotpierre

No worries. I just ran downstairs to a cafe with free wifi (needed a break anyhow) and downloaded onto my phone. The files are definitely there. Internet explorer definitely works if you paste the link in. Maybe that's the way to go.

Edited by Feathered_IV

Hi Feathered,

First of all, thanks for your many effort you put to share with everyone your great job, ideas and feelings.

I am just gonna give a try to your new voices but the link provided in the first post seems to not work for me... when clicking on it I got a message from mediafire:

Invalid or Deleted File.

The key you provided for file access was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on MediaFire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or MediaFire.

Still have questions, or think we've made a mistake? Please contact support for further assistance.

(the one for JSGME is ok though)..

Anything I'm missing right now??

Any tips you could share to help on that part??

anyway, enjoy your coffee...and Salute !

Edit: Ok nevermind... I may need another coffe to wake up... the second link provided for JSGME contains the audio files so it should be ok...

Edited by Spacesheep
  • Upvote 1

No hurry mate. I am on a PC with Firefox. I get the drop down box from the download button but "save target as" is not one of the options.

I have downloaded it yesterday with Opera, tried now with Firefox and it works - right click on the download button and choose "Save link as...".

Worked for me just now...

Edited by Ami
  • Upvote 1

Yep that will do it. As I do any revisions I'll delete the previous links and create a new one. The forum limitations don't let me edit an earlier message after more than a few minutes.

Apologies for being a pain in the arse, but what should be showing in the JSGME Enabler, Rus or each of the actors 1 to 5?

My JSGME folder has Actors 1 to 5 folders plus a Mods folder that has a Rus folder with another lot of Actors 1 to 5 folders and another GSGME configurations setting.

Hi Pierre, the V.3 "Ambient VVS Radio for MP" folder just drops straight into the JSGME Mods folder as-is.  Once you enable it via the JSGME interface it should be good to go.

Make sure all the JSGME stuff (the Mods folder, JSGME.exe, JSGME.ini etc.) is located in the IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad main folder.  Not the data folder or any other funny location.  Hope it works for you.  Let me know if you have any probs.  ;)

oh you use some VeteranenMissions radio calls ;)

nice make

Hi Veteran, hope you don't mind!