Sign in to follow this  
6./ZG26_Emil

What's the difference between Activate and Spawn

When should you use these two triggers? They both seems to do the same thing.

Cheers

Emil

I suppose that;

Activate can be used to add group of objects (planes, vehicles) to the mission,

Spawner can generate multiple copies of a object.

Ah ok and why would people use multiple copies of an object rather than a group? I noticed that most of the groups shared plus some of the better missions shared tend to use multiple copies of an object and the spawn command.

Thanks

Emil

I use a spawner if the logic calls for an object to come to existence whenever something happens. For instance, if I want to prevent vulching, I will spawn a couple of angry ace fighters whenever fighters approach the airfield.

I use an activate CMU if the logic calls for an object to come to existence once, at a specific time or the first time some condition is fulfilled. I'll use that e.g. for objectives (bombers, vehicle columns...).

Another reason to use a spawner is if you want the location of the spawner to decide where the object comes to existence (using "Spawn here" in the advanced properties). I can for instance imagine an interceptor being spawned from two different opposite locations, using the random selection group based in timers, and two "spawn here" spawners.

As for the question of using multiple copies of an object vs using a wing/column: I find columns to be very ineffective at combat. When the leader gets killed, the entire column stops until nr 2 takes the position of nr 1. In the case of a tank column meeting an AT gun, that typically leads to the entire column to be destroyed, because the AT gun can reload and fire again before the column is done reorganizing itself. I haven't tried using the multiple copies approach yet, so I don't know if it's a valid alternative. I fear it may have problems of its own (collisions, maybe).

Thanks again for the help.

I am getting there and starting to understand more about the logic. I was about to ask something else but then figured it out myself which is a good sign :D