Sign in to follow this  
No601_Swallow

Trying to analyse a flak gun group...

I've spent an hour and a bit looking at a flak and searchlight group in the ME, and I'd like to see if I can understand and explain it. It might be useful for me and for some others.

Firstly, the group looks like a formidable tangle:

flakandsearchlight_zps85zwj9jy.jpg

But it's actually not as complex as it looks. It's really two almost identical groups side by side. Here's one of the groups pulled around a bit so I can see what's going on:

flakandsearchlight_spread_zps68iqxsxt.jp

Here's my attempt at an analysis of what's going on:

flakandsearchlight_spread_analysis_zpstw

A couple of things: firstly, the "yellow" bit on the right hand side, which does the spawning and despawning, seems to be very very common in campaign missions. Almost everything has this, erm, purpetual rhombus of creation, existence and destruction (Ha! Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva! Deary-deary-me! Russian? No! BoS is all Hindu propaganda! :P ). 

But I'm not sure I understand how the perpetual rhombus (PR ) works. Is that 1-second timer in there just to spread it out a bit?

Secondly, I can't work out why the spawn trigger has a blue object link instead of a green one. If I try to add a spawn trigger it's object link is always green. Is this important?

One last question: It's to do with the spawn trigger's advanced properties:

flakandsearchlight_spawner_zps4osu64j2.j

What is that "Spawn at me" tickbox? It doesn't seem to be in the RoF ME manual, so maybe it's not in RoF? What does it do?

Aha! Thanks Jupp!

But Buggerit! I forgot about Haashasin's AAA group. I'll have to have a look (now that I've finished my own Frankenstein version! It'll be interesting to compare!).

There's something almost zen-like about Haashasin's group! How he uses that "Spawn at Me" tickbox! >>Swoon<<. I prostrate myself at the feet of a Master!  :happy:

Hi

I use the aaa haashasin's group. If i set up a pair of FW AI flying above at 80 high, the flak nor the mg don't work. Why ?

Thanks in advance

Edited by -IRRE-golgoth21

@Golgoth: I believe this one uses a complex trigger, right? To have it work in SP or with AI, you must have "check entities" ticked in the advanced properties.

I actually shared 2 groups, for MP and SP. You can check those.

That's the one i'm using but ... doesn't work.

Question 1 : do i need to set a mission begin trigger ?

Question 2 : Does-it work only with real player ? It seems not working with AI.

@Coco, i ve checked "check entities", without any success.

If i set a some Flaks with an attack command trigger, it works, but i want to save some CPU LOAD using the spawn trigger used by SYN_Haashashin.

Once this point solved, i suppose my progress will be improved dramaticaly.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by -IRRE-golgoth21

Question 1 : do i need to set a mission begin trigger ?

Not necessarily, but something has to trigger your group. For flak groups, typically you'll use a mission begin (followed by a timer) because you want you flak group to start monitoring the airspace as soon as your mission starts.

Question 2 : Does-it work only with real player ? It seems not working with AI.

The complex trigger will work with AIs if you have "check entities" marked. I use that in the mission I'm working on and my AAA is shooting at AIs as expected.