Fw190 Stabilator / stab trim - Still not there :-/

-TBC-AeroAce

Lol these convos are funny to read! I think some people here need to stop playing games and go study aerospace engineering. Lol but on a serious note some of the loudest people here do need to go read a flight dynamics book as there is often not much consistency in the certain terms people use and there technical meaning

Edited by AeroAce
ACEOFACES

Lol these convos are funny to read! I think some people here need to stop playing games and go study aerospace engineering. Lol but on a serious note some of the loudest people here do need to go read a flight dynamics book as there is often not much consistency in the certain terms people use and there technical meaning

IMHO.. 

One should never hesitate to 'test' and 'question' a flight simulation..

But, one should take pause before drawing any 'conclusions' based on 'testing'..

Because most of the time

The error is in the 'testing' and not the flight simulation..

Edited by ACEOFACES
-TBC-AeroAce

Above is quite true claims and test should be done in the scientific method, publish methods, make measurement with best certainty, publish results, compare results, draw concusions.....

It's quite hard thou because 1 it's a game on a pc and we can really measure all aspects such as acceleration for example. This means u have to be smart and precise with ur methods to gain meaningful results

2 very hard because all these people playing this are just not concise enough with there understanding and testing

LizLemon

But I'm an hero naughty engine here !!! Do I have to read any more books ?

If you are being serious rather then factious then check out some Dan Raymer books. I hear you can use google to find them for super cheap, even free....

Another reasonable thing is to get into model gliding or rc aircraft. Even something like white wings will give you a better understanding of aerodynamics then flying something like bos. Nothing beats practical experience.

And of course lots of free time and money then go for some flying lessons. But many pilots think they know better then the book when they don't, so maybe read some books first :^) 

-TBC-AeroAce

One of the best ways of learning about flight dynamics is my checking out university websites liket MIT...... And one of the best if not the very best especially for people with a minor understand of physics and maths is NASA's website. Also there is a book that is called "Flight without Formula" which is an absolute must read for anyone with no knowledge up to a 20 year experienced aerospace engineer.

U will find out that words like stability, speed, velocity, stress, strain, maneuverabilit....... All have very precise meanings that most people have no clue about and frequently use out of context

Reconsidering what Brown reported regarding the trim inverse during flight I came up with the though the ingame behaviour can only be an issue of the stabilizors aerodynamical model.

I sure don't have any polars on hand and therefore can't prove the point sufficiently, so take it as a good guess if you like. But the way Brown describes this destinctive behaviour it actually can only be the stabilizors lift effiiciency effecting the aircrafts balance at different flight speeds.

So if I'm right and we take Browns report for correct, the stabilizer should produce more lift at higher airspeeds in BoS to reduce need to retrim (of course not eliminating it) and simulating this inverse behaviour of the trim action.

To maintain positive pitch stability a stabilizer always produces varying degrees of downforce.  Trim characteristics are tied into stabilizer placement relative to the wing as they are in the wing's downwash and the wing camber and how the center of pressure moves across the chord at varying angles of attack.  For instance, symmetrical airfoils don't have appreciable CoP movement with AoA changes and, consequently, many aerobatic aircraft don't even have elevator trim.

6./ZG26_5tuka

To maintain positive pitch stability a stabilizer always produces varying degrees of downforce.

Yep, that's what I predict to be an issue in BoS and less the trim itself (at least regarding the inverse trim action). But while this would be pretty nice to have actually even I don'T mind that much about it. As for now I'm fine with the 190 flying stable at nose heavy trim setting though I agree th devs might need to investigate in this issue

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

the best ways of learning about flight dynamics is my checking out university

That is the best way to learn about the science of flight.  Get in a classroom, with a professor, and put in the time/effort.