6./ZG26_Emil

How to add a front line and other things to the map

I was wondering how to add a front line to the map.

Also I saw on the main maps of some missions symbols which show troop concentrations and movement direction....the sort of thing you would see on strategic maps to show the direction of an attack. Is this an influence area?

Could anyone give me a couple of tips how to make these please.

Cheers

Emil

It's done with Translator:Icon. You can connect icons with a target link to create a frontline.

• Upvote 1

Hi Juri

I get the translator icon but it just draws a straight line between each icon and in white. It doesn't look like the nice smooth blue/red frontlines you see on some of the online servers.

OK never mind I figured that out :D

Any ideas what I use for these troop concentration type things? They look like a bubble with stripes inside them with an arrow showing the direction of the thrust?

place your first icon   hold left shift and click on your mouse for more icons....place 3 more to make a square.  All you have now is a line.....but if you target link the last icon to the first icon, now you have an area....and if you select the different options under line type...you get the shadings  (from memory here....)  Some of those options will turn your square into an oval....

here are some arrows for you.  they are from ROF, but should work.  Download and save into your data/missions folder.  Then in editor, they should show up in the GROUPS button (under mcu's)

http://bhah.homeip.net:192/Old%20Fokkers/Misssions/Templates/Large%20Arrow%20Mix.Group

http://bhah.homeip.net:192/Old%20Fokkers/Misssions/Templates/Small%20Arrow%20Group.Group

this is what will show up in your mission....if you look at how they are made, you can make your own

ROF%20Arrows.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

here is my cheat sheet for ROF, same line types in BOS, all of these are choices to connect icons

LTS.jpg

and while your at it, here is a chart for colors on subtitles.

the default is 255,255,255 which is white, pretty bad for the snow. If you are looking for very readable

255,255,0 is yellow

255,0,0 is red 

RGBS.jpg

• Upvote 3

here is my cheat sheet for ROF, same line types in BOS, all of these are choices to connect icons

LTS.jpg

the default is 255,255,255 which is white, pretty bad for the snow. If you are looking for very readable

255,255,0 is yellow
255,0,0 is red 

RGBS.jpg

You are awesome thanks!!!

LTS.jpg

255,255,0 is yellow
255,0,0 is red 

RGBS.jpg

Man, i never saw that for Rof, you make my day for Rof and Bos. :salute:

place your first icon   hold left shift and click on your mouse for more icons....place 3 more to make a square.  All you have now is a line.....but if you target link the last icon to the first icon, now you have an area....and if you select the different options under line type...you get the shadings  (from memory here....)  Some of those options will turn your square into an oval....

here are some arrows for you.  they are from ROF, but should work.  Download and save into your data/missions folder.  Then in editor, they should show up in the GROUPS button (under mcu's)

http://bhah.homeip.net:192/Old%20Fokkers/Misssions/Templates/Large%20Arrow%20Mix.Group

http://bhah.homeip.net:192/Old%20Fokkers/Misssions/Templates/Small%20Arrow%20Group.Group

this is what will show up in your mission....if you look at how they are made, you can make your own

Broken links! Sittingduk99 can you upload this again, please? :salute: 

Just FYI, the in-game campaign map you see was not created with the mission editor that we have availble to us. That is an in-game UI element that is a completely different tool and art set.

Just FYI, the in-game campaign map you see was not created with the mission editor that we have availble to us. That is an in-game UI element that is a completely different tool and art set.

Yep I figured that out after quite a while. Still the front lines and arrows can look pretty good.

Broken links! Sittingduk99 can you upload this again, please? :salute:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57983337/ROF%20ICON%20CHEATSHEET.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57983337/ROF%20ICON%20CHEATSHEET1.jpg

Here's some arrows I made 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57983337/Winterstorm%20Arrows%20P2.zip

Is it possible to somehow allow the frontline to move after an event like a town is captured. I was thinking about the old IL2 1946 war servers where the  front line moved in game with the action. I guess not. But somehow deactivate a line and activate another. It would be nice if dserver could let you branch out to a mission depending on the outcome 

It's possible and not link to the dserver. It's up to the mission builder to do it and define what do the changment.

TP_Jacko,

The icon translator and the influence area translator have an enabled check box in the advanced properties. You can enable the initial front lines (icons) and influence areas and disable the ones that you want to use later. Then, use an activate trigger to activate the new lines/areas and a deactivate trigger to deactivate the old lines/areas.

Jim

TP_Jacko,

The icon translator and the influence area translator have an enabled check box in the advanced properties. You can enable the initial front lines (icons) and influence areas and disable the ones that you want to use later. Then, use an activate trigger to activate the new lines/areas and a deactivate trigger to deactivate the old lines/areas.

Jim

Thanks Jim

Are you confident with Dserver operation ?

I've done several mission using moving front we played online. I can provide you one if you want to have a look and play it to see how it works.

Are you confident with Dserver operation ?

I've done several mission using moving front we played online. I can provide you one if you want to have a look and play it to see how it works.

Hello Habu,

I am confident enough now to make smaller MP missions for our Sunday Ops night with spawning, complex  triggers etc, An example of moving the battle front  would be really appreciated.

Ok, so you know how to launch the dserver and manage an sds files. So you'll find my mission in the following link.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/0pf5h337fzer2gj/PX_VL_Contre_attaque_v4.zip

Skin pack needed :

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5g2zm2f1nbmdub0/Pack_Skins_Captur%C3%A9s_VVS.7z

Here are some explanation to understand the mission.

Situation : German has taken Veliki Luki and its airfield a few days ago, but have no many defense on the city. Russian will launch a counter attack.

German :

Supply train will go to Veliki Luki. As soon one train arrive in the main railway station, it will activated one AA in the city (max 5 or 6, i don't remember).

German fighter must secure the train suply and the town.

German recon must recon area to find any russian troops.

http://www.phoenix-fr.com/simulation/bos/multi/divers/22072015/Briefing_allemand.jpg

Russian :

Attack the german HQ in Veliki Luki.

Protect the ground troops wich attack the Veliki Luki airfield.

Attack the airfield and Railway station from Saint Kashegarovo

http://www.phoenix-fr.com/simulation/bos/multi/divers/22072015/Brief_russe.jpg

If an amount of ground troops arrive on the Veliki airfield (i don't remember the number i put), the front line change and the airfield is avaliable for russian. Captured plane will be avaliable on that airfield, so you have to use the skin pack if you want to have the right skin displayed. Some JU52 with russian skin will fly to Veliki luki to simulate troops.

To all Mission builder and server administrator :

We suffer some time of massive disconection without knowing why. We have one on that mission, and i know exactly when and what is involved at that time, but i can't run any test with summer holliday (we were at least 37 players). It was when the airfield change of side. So the behavior is maybe link to massive disconnection. We have to run test.

So I guess to get a rolling war server you could make 4 separate missions save the content of each as a group then combine them into the one map and connect with triggers and logic to activate / deactivate depending on the objectives being met.

Just thinking out loud :)

What effect does the Influence Area have on the game.

Is it only to decide if you are in friendly territory at the game end.

I can't recall any in game message that says you are captured iy bail on the enemy side.

Cheers

Jack

Yes, it define the territory nationality. It's in the debriefing that you can see the information. At that time only in solo.

I guess this is a good place for this question.

Ok, I've got moving icons, moving front lines and influence areas. They don't actually move of course but activating and deactivating icons for moving columns is pretty convincing. 

I've just got my first airfield to change from neutral to Allies which is awesome.

My question is... 

How do you change planes available when an airfield changes country?  Is it the index column of the planes chart in airfield advanced properties? If not, what is that for?

If so how do you trigger and index change?

Just can't seem to figure this one out....

thanks in advance :)

You can use the float setting in ai behaviour. Set it to the index of the planes, and the planeset to choose from will change.

post-31381-0-25314800-1445883306_thumb.pngpost-31381-0-37127700-1445883315_thumb.png

• Upvote 3

~S! Menacing Ferrets,

I'm just getting into this very subject, because, I want the actual Rearm, Refuel, Repair feature to work in Multiplayer.

I've heard reports that it indeed does. The changing of allegiance, resupply of planes, and such is a factor in it as well.

From what I surmise, and can confirm, is that, the MCU Behavior, specifically the "Float Parameter" is how you affect the change.

I haven't worked out the logic yet, but it sounds like you have a good grasp of those things too. I'm just confirming your question.

The MCU Behavior(s) combined (linked through logic) with the Airfield's [Planes] Properties set to the Index # is definitely correct!

Here are two screenshots showing the relationship. The first is taken from The Wet Bandits .mis "thepocket".  The other from mine.

The first, showing the state of a MCU Behavior in use, and the second one, showing how it is used with the Planeset (by the Index #). 

Good Hunting,

!S -Jupp- :salute: 

Bo_S_Behavior_MCU_Float_Param_Index.jpgBo_S_Behavior_MCU_Float_Param_Index_2.jp

Edited by Jupp

Man you guys just answered that same question for me. I couldn't figure out how to get that to work. The pics show that the planes index number corresponds with the float parameter number, I think that's what I was missing.

Now how do you define which unit or event changes the airfield to the specific side ?

For example, an transport AI ju52 or AI resupply pe2 lands at the neutral field to change it to a specific side.

Off to tinker some more....

~S~ Skoop,

It'sTick, Country Drop Down Menu; (above float parameter) of the Behavior MCU.

The Logic of using Proximity, Counters, Activate, Deactivate, etc... I haven't worked out for myself, as of yet.

It's in using multiple Behavior MCU's (ergo different float to index #'s) for each transition, combined with said.

However, you can also see how this is tied into the Rearm, Refuel, Repair feature that I'll soon have worked out too.

As you say, "Later",

Edited by Jupp

For what triggers the airfield change, that's completely up to you!  Have fun with it!  My first mission is super messy cause it's my first and I wanted to nail a few things down with it so it's kind of a sketch mission.  I wanted to get moving front lines, moving map icons, clear mission objectives, and capture-able airfields. To trigger the airfield, influence area, and front line icon needed to move the lines, I made a German train that if destroyed gives the Russians the time to get a column of vehicles on the neutral airfield and capture it. Otherwise if the German train is able to survive the gauntlet and reaches it's destination near the airfield, it unloads vehicles that proceed to capture the airfield for the Germans. There are secondary missions that lead up to the main encounter. Each secondary mission effects how hard it is to complete the requirements for a field capture.  For instance right off the bat 7 German planes up and attempt to destroy a supply train. If the Russians are able to protect the train a tank column activates near by and sets off towards the final encounter area.  If the German Train (the mission hinge pin one) spots nme vehicles within a prox switch is stops and waits until the threat is gone. If the train hits it's final waypoint that waypoint triggers the German airfield.  If the train is killed the onkilled event triggers the Russian airfield change only if the capturing column has triggered a checkzone at neutral airfield (using counter 2 as an AND gate).

I am a huge fan of Zuti's MDS mod for '46 so this is naturally where I wanted to go first.  Also means I am watching Jupp's progress with the RRR logic closely. I think I have a vehicle group rearming an artillery group as long as they are inside a certain radius to trigger the Behavior mcu for RRR.  I think it's working, hard to say unless I can see the ammo count on the arty. Maybe I'll just set one up to fire at ground and go to bed and see if they are still going in the morning. 

Next project for me is a solid, well organized, easy to place airfield set up.  Layering lights, guns and all the accouterments with an underlying close and capture logic. Goal is to have each destroyed gun stay dead for 30 minutes before repairing it.  If all guns and ndb are destroyed then another timer triggers for 30 minutes, changing the field to neutral and making capture by either side possible (CAP your closures!). There are numerous ways to trigger the capture visually and I am not sure which method I am going to use yet. For now will work of getting the base logic smooth.

Trying for a satisfying MP experience without CTD'ing clients with tons of AI and active checkzones.

Am drawing on years of using editors in IL2 '46 UP3, Aces high and warbirds. Also have some lingering Targetware inspired ideas where mission outcome affects which direction in a chain of missions the server goes. Lots of ideas, and BOS's ME is more than capable of emulating the logic of any  of these sims.  By far and away the most in depth mission programming I've ever experienced in a flight sim. I am so thrilled the ME isn't treated like an ancillary entity here. Very fine work here devs!!

Keep the ideas coming community!! You really drive the MP world by building and sharing missions concepts and implementations. 

~S~ Menacing,

And they called me mad at the academy! That entry shows you are well versed in our little Chinese Algebra quadrant of the virtual world! Awesome.

We have really got to conspire, before either one of us ends up on the missing in action report where us "wizards", always seem to disappear to.

Your methodology is spot on, and, why I couldn't relate to Skoop exactly what to do with the Logic, is because of it's nearly infinite possible branches.

You've summed the ideas up nicely. Also, to wit, my interest in "RRR" is in a player landing, taxi to a FARP area, and then re alight in the very same plane.

As you already know, that was/is possible, when using Zuti's mod for 1946, and some, in not indeed all, of the elements for it's execution are present in the ME...

Winter being here and all, I hope to be able to turn my attentions now towards this subject, and put it to bed, as to weather or not, Player RRR can be done in BoS.

I could regale you of my own successes in thinking out of the box (I'm 95% self taught ), and, making things happen that "they" said could not be done...

as I've written missions since 1998, using just Notepad to edit .mis files, .etc. Instead, I request you to try out "Goodbye Blue Sky" in the Jupp's Missions thread.

That mission, although by now probably a mess after several updates, is generally what you describe wanting to achieve. We have the same "gameplay mindset".

The problem I have is that my CPU (A 3.2Ghz Quad) is not able to accommodate my mission intentions, and so I get the "Multiplayer Server Overload" messaging. :angry:

So, "MF", we really should meet up on TeamSpeak3 or such in the near future and compare our collective understandings, to take these mysterious ME things further.

Thanks for Keying Up,

Bo_S_Pieces.jpg

{snip}

The problem I have is that my CPU (A 3.2Ghz Quad) is not able to accommodate my mission intentions, and so I get the "Multiplayer Server Overload" messaging. :angry:

So, "MF", we really should meet up on TeamSpeak3 or such in the near future and compare our collective understandings, to take these mysterious ME things further.

Thanks for Keying Up,

Jupp,

With regards to the above stated issue, I'd like to learn a little about any potential pitfalls of using one MCU versus others.  Can you tell me how many complex triggers you have, if any? in your missions with these issues, I've heard that these are heavy on internet traffic and may cause this sort of stuff.

Thanks!

Just a quick thought: The remote console has a getsds command that returns the average/min/max tick delay. This could be used to trigger server input MCUs from the remote console depending on the load. The mission logic could act on this to despawn non-critical AI flights that are far from enemy players.

Here's a quick single player mission with just moving frontlines.  

/Open your large map once in cockpit

/ Unpause

/Time Compress if you like.

/Center the initial horizontal front line on your screen.

Runs through the sequence twice only.  Takes just a few minutes to watch and it labels all the line types as it goes.

Entire sequence was based on one building block and it's interaction with it's clones and the front line.

Hope you like.

http://jdmadsen.net/ftp/Missions/IL2%20BOS/SP/SP%20Frontlines%20Test.rar

Jupp,

With regards to the above stated issue, I'd like to learn a little about any potential pitfalls of using one MCU versus others.  Can you tell me how many complex triggers you have, if any? in your missions with these issues, I've heard that these are heavy on internet traffic and may cause this sort of stuff.

Thanks!

~S~ Roaming Gnome,

There is a box, in the bottom of the ME, that states the limits we should adhere to, when creating missions.

What I can tell you, the greatest strain on resources, concerns AI logic.

That is, detection. This occurs with AC AI Gunners (why heavy bombers are such a problem atm)...

Also, the sub routines of AI AC taxiing, taking off, and landing. Those instances also cause CPU loads to spike.

And of course, MCU Complex Trigger, Proximity, Attack, .etc. They all require "listening" code. Thus CPU load.

I have written way over recommended values, which are paltry, compared to the action I enjoy creating in my sessions.

The Devs have flatly said no, to allowing us to turn off the message, even though I'd rather have worse performance, than less action.

I don't want to create a wall of text to describe the particulars here, perhaps I'll start a new thread going into the pros and cons as I see them.

Hope this helps somewhat,

Edited by Jupp

Jupp, Han just answered my question in the "Questions to Devs" section regarding upgrading the game to allow more AI.  I may have oversimplified the question or idea I was going with, but he did say something would be done to allow more AI in the future...

Coco's idea would be awesome! Even just being able to count humans in game using rcon to trigger or delete or WHATEVER, based on player count would be super handy. Seems like something that is really close to being possible or maybe it already is. I don't have the skills to do this, wouldn't know where to start.

While check zones are lighter weight than complex triggers, they still add up. So one larger area CZ to trigger many smaller ones in an area versus having all the CZ active on mission begin translators. Sometimes you really do need the complex trigger too. Like mentioned somewhere here... (complex trigger thread i believe)  Best practice to activate complex Trigger with Check Zone or something else then deactivate CT as soon as it's done it's job.  

LIke anything this complex there's a balancing act to perform. Preserve the fun, retain immersion.  

Testing Testing Testing     right?

Just my two cents :)