Sign in to follow this  
Finkeren

'finker-Painting' Part Iv: Migs Over Moscow

It's no secret, that I was very excited about the news of the upcoming Battle of Moscow, and especially that we'd get to fly the glorious MiG-3.

It inspired me to do another quick doodle in the drawing program of my daughters iPad. As usual everything is done by hand (or rather fingertips) and with no references (except for the rocket rails, I honestly had no idea what thet looked like) so don't expect perfect accuracy in the details.

Here we have a pair of late production MiGs conducting high altitude dawn patrol over the Moscow area in late 1941:

post-13181-0-16783400-1425640343_thumb.jpg

All praise and especially criticism is much appreciated. Tell me what I can do better next time.

• Upvote 3

Actually, now that I look at it, I think the colours are a bit too bright. It looked different on the iPads screen.

I made a slightly darkened, desaturated version, which I think works better:

post-13181-0-68290900-1425643921_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

Edited by Finkeren

I was going to say it was great, but you seem to prefer criticism...should I say it's crap?

• Upvote 1

I'd appreciate if could tell me, how/why it's crap, so I can do better ;)

But if you just wanna tell me to give up drawing for good, that's ok too   :biggrin:

I think it's great, especially given the medium. Very effective. Surprising you managed to give so much detail! The first is a more striking image.

• Upvote 1

Glad you liked it :) Personally I much prefer the altered one. The more I look at the first image, the more those over-saturated colours remind me of some of those cheap paintings of sunsets they sell to tourists in many parts of the world.

Personally I think the planes are too dark on the side facing away from the light.

I prefer the less saturated version but would find it better if there were a few details visible on the dark side of the planes.

It looks a bit unnatural to me the way it is now.

• Upvote 1

I see what you mean. The aircraft being dark silhouettes was intentional. I was going for an effect something like this:

airbus_a380_silhouette.jpg

But maybe you're right. The planes aren't viewed directly against the sunrise, so perhaps I should try to add a faint hint of the details in dark blue and purple to make it look more natural?

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Finkeren

But maybe you're right. The planes aren't viewed directly against the sunrise, so perhaps I should try to add a faint hint of the details in dark blue and purple to make it look more natural?

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, you might try this - maybe just letting the light creep a bit more over the edges and adding a few subtle details - nothing too strong.

Maybe lighten up the area around the exhaustion fires a bit.

Otherwise it´s looking good - just a few minor things which struck my eye.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, you might try this - maybe just letting the light creep a bit more over the edges and adding a few subtle details - nothing too strong.

Maybe lighten up the area around the exhaustion fires a bit..

Actually I had done this, as you can see on the original picture, but the effect vanished completely when I darkened it.

I'll see what I can do, when I can get around to it. For the time being my offspring has reclaimed what's hers ;)

The second one is much better. The first one looks, and don't take this the wrong way, a bit raaaid-ey. 

• Upvote 1

Looks like sunset to me.

That technicolour look is far more late day than dawn in my experience, (prior p 0.85 based on fairly large sample taken on hiking trips, military service and getting home late after long nights out).

Probably best just to retitle the painting. Then I could say it looks great! :)

Edit: whoops, I just noticed that you noticed the same thing in your later post....

• Upvote 1

All this talk of BoM, and especially the latest WIP-shots LOFT posted of the I-16 has inspired me :)

I've gone and made another painting in honor of that tubby little bumblebee. Here we have a couple of Ishaks taking off on another suicidal mission in the late summer of 1941:

post-13181-0-04303300-1426593372_thumb.jpg

Let me know, what you think.

• Upvote 1

i just love the clouds but purple and yellow is a bit corny i would have liked better pink(redish) and purple

on the second theres an amazing stereoscopic effect on the engines that seem to portrude but the planes lack motion

Edited by raaaid