viperrm64

I've set waypoints planes just fly round and round.

I wonder if anyone can help me, I have done a simple mission where in my PE-2 I attack a Luftwaffe airfield(some parked bombers are my targets). On the runway I have six Fw-190's scrambling to take off and fly to certain waypoints then land at another airfield. I must point out at this time I have not set up any attack(me in my Pe-2)orders. When I play the mission in-game the Fw-190's all take off ok(spacing had to be tweaked and I used the both the command take-off and event take-off for all fighters as well as a mission begin trigger)ok but then once at about the end of the runway two or three of them go really low and indeed crash into the ground and the survivors jus fly round and round the airfield  like lost sheep.

I have included a link to the mission file so if any of you ME experts can take a look at it and tell me where I am going wrong I would much appreciate it. Please remember it is just a simple "jump in and fly" SP mission just trying to get the knack of mission building starting off with something simple.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6g6d9cuqen375ol/Rob_i_jg1_TA__6.Mission

Thanks Rob.

I wonder if anyone can help me, I have done a simple mission where in my PE-2 I attack a Luftwaffe airfield(some parked bombers are my targets). On the runway I have six Fw-190's scrambling to take off and fly to certain waypoints then land at another airfield. I must point out at this time I have not set up any attack(me in my Pe-2)orders. When I play the mission in-game the Fw-190's all take off ok(spacing had to be tweaked and I used the both the command take-off and event take-off for all fighters as well as a mission begin trigger)ok but then once at about the end of the runway two or three of them go really low and indeed crash into the ground and the survivors jus fly round and round the airfield  like lost sheep.

I have included a link to the mission file so if any of you ME experts can take a look at it and tell me where I am going wrong I would much appreciate it. Please remember it is just a simple "jump in and fly" SP mission just trying to get the knack of mission building starting off with something simple.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6g6d9cuqen375ol/Rob_i_jg1_TA__6.Mission

Thanks Rob.

Hello,

I noticed two things in your mission:

1. Your first waypoint (ID 7) is located at the far edge of the runway (at 300 m alt) and has an activation area value of 2000 m, meaning it is flagged as 'reached' at the mission start. Is that intentional?

2. The leaders of the two groups of FWs are positioned at the rear in the take off lineup, i.e. they are the last to take off. Could it be that the wingmen, taking off before the leader,  maneuver to form up as soon as they take off, and crash trying it?

Edited by [-]Primus_71

Ok Primus i see what your saying i'll change the items you mentioned try it and see.

Hmmm I dunno but I think the FME is bugged. I have created a mission with just 1 aircraft in it to do a circuit of the airfield and land. but as soon as it takes of it does exactly as Viperrm64 has described. I just takes off and circles the airfield. I have followed the online tutorials to the letter and as this is such a simple mission I have to think something is wrong with the mission editor.

Has anyone actually created a working mission with it?  If so post it up so I can see what I am doing wrong.

SD

Soupdragon, maybe a simple circuit is a little too short a distance for the AI to take off and gain speed?

My first simple mission has an IL2 take off and fly about 10 km before turning back. He works hard to take off (there's a crosswind and turbulance), but does it fine, and with the OnPlaneTookOff event thingy he goes off following his waypoints fine (I set all my waypoint areas to 200m). But it takes him some distance to get up to a safe speed and positive rate of climb.

I don't know if he lands successfully yet, because I can't resist shooting him down when I find him (although the well'ard new armour for the IL2 makes this less of a formality now! Good thing!).

I just have took a look at the mission viper, here what I found: (Besides what the guys already told you).

- Between the Mission Begin trigger and the take off command there should be a timer with at least couple of seconds (you have one connected to it but not triggered by the mission begin command). Also this take off command only needs to be linked by object with the leader plane not to all of them.

- I see you link the event Onplanetookoff to the take off command, this event should be linked to the WP as Swallow comments above.

- You need to link all the WP by Object to the leader plane so it will follow. Easy way to set WP: Select the first one (after is TL and OL to the plane) and use Lshift+LMB and you can build a route very easly and with all links connected already.

- If you want to have a better performance, I recommend to use the static objects available such the He-111 you place at the parking slot, not using the planes with entities. Look for them at the <<<Block>>> tab, in this case the object called Static_He111.

- The command attack needs to be triggered by a timer same as others. Mission Begin-----timer-----command.

@Dragon, I will publishing a mission done only with the groups I already shared on another topic, that way you guys can take a look at it.

Hopes it helps.

Swallow this is not just  a short simple circuit. I made sure there was plenty of time for the aircraft to turn etc. here is a pic of the flight plan.

STEditor%202015-02-28%2000-13-53-94.jpg

Plenty of room for maneuver. yet all the aircraft does is circle the airfield. Does an aircraft really need over 10Km to do a circuit of an airfield?

SD

Edited by soupdragon

Dragon, the WP needs to be activated somehow, in this case as is a take off, Swallow gave the right answer, use the Onplanetookoff event to activate the WP if not the planes will take off and stay around doing nothing.

Will release a mission tomorrow so you can see it more clearly.

Now is time for some actual flying :biggrin:  :biggrin:

The waypoint is activated through the OnTookOff thing.

I followed an RoF tutorial by Vander. regarding waypoints.

Surely a mission this simple would be hard to get wrong. Im only taking off and landing for Jeez sake :)

SD

Surely a mission this simple would be hard to get wrong. Im only taking off and landing for Jeez sake :)

SD

I think - so far - that a simple mission is easy to get wrong, but easy to get right as well, if you see what I mean.  Here's my embarrassingly simple first mission. And here are my conclusions for getting an AI aircraft up in the air, having looked at (i.e. slavishly followed) Bob Vanderstock's first few tutorials.

Firstly, waypoints in BoS are a pain in the ar$e, because you have to "greeny" them to object that's going to use them - all of the sods. HOWEVER, using the automated left-shift and click actually makes them dead-easy to lay them down on the map. The left-shift-click method also automatically builds in the "trigger" (instruction) to send its object to the next waypoint. It's actually quite elegant, but the process (the stuff that's under the hood in say the IL2 FMB) that you take for granted, has to be explicit and in your face with the BoS ME. If you see what I mean.

Secondly,  you've got to be explicit in getting your object to the first waypoint (after which, the waypoint and it's own trigger takes care of things). So, you've got to provide the initial push. The OnMissionBegan trigger/object/thingy that you place on the map is the first one. If you point this at the action (command) you want your object to do (i.e. take off), and "greeny-link" this command to your object, it'll do this when the mission has started.

But even so it's not automatic. My first build had my AI IL2 disappearing. This was because I hadn't bothered to point it down the runway, and clearly my poor IL2 was just ploughing into trees! So the AI will slavishly mindlessly follow instructions - it won't think for itself, it seems to me!

Thirdly, though, it really really really won't think for itself. Again you've got to explicitly tell it things that the IL2 FMB lets you take for granted. So, it won't go to its first (or next) waypoint unless you tell it to. So, you've got to build in an instruction into the object itself - in this case, OnPlaneTookOff. Stick this event in, and point it to the next waypoint and bob's your uncle.

(I haven't got to getting to grips with landing yet, but I think it'll be OK!)

Sooooooo - it seems to me that everything has to be explicit in that IT programming "let's print  'Hello World'" sort of way. But once you get into that mindset, it seems to me that it's going to be very powerful and flexible. The frustrating thing with CloD - for me - was that its FMB could do everything that IL2's FMB could do, but when you wanted that extra sophistication (triggers and actions), you very quickly needed to actually write something in a (what I think of as a...) programming language, with all its syntax and brackets and curly brackets and semi-colons.

With the BoS ME, I think, you get that hump in the learning curve over right at the start - and it's nothing like as daunting as poor old CloD's is.

SD - is there any way you can post up your circuit so I can download it and have a look? I learn quicker when looking at real examples and puzzles and problems. If there's no file hosting site that you like to use, you might be able to post up the text of the .mission file here, with the "code" embedding tool-button-thingy?

Sorry for the rambling wall of text. I'm coming at this completely fresh and it's not straightforward to make the mental adjustments to slip in to RoF's and BoS's logic.

Yeah. I got it all working now. AI flights a very squirrelly and wobble and dodge their way across the sky jockeying for position until invariably one or two collide and go down in flames lol.

SD

Thanks Haashashin will follow your directions as specified, didn' t know there were seperate static planes thats a great help in itself.

Just a suggestion, but I recommend that you make the radius for your aircraft waypoints much larger, say 1000+ meters.  Small waypoints are harder for aircraft to hit. 

About AI manevouring space, in my hello world mission (take off, two WPs, land) i kind of forgot that default height is 100AGL, and WPs were close by, about 2-3 small runway lengths, but AI managed it fine. Although watching autopilot flying Pe-2 at tree tops from cockpit seat was a bit scary :)

Takeoff is straight ahead from spawn position, landing (touchdown) should be on spot where comand is placed, in the direction of the yellow line.

I spent like 5 minutes in BOS ME, so excuse me its simple and i just missed it, but is there a way to make AI taxi to takeoff? It is (was?) possible in the game, as AI taxied to runway in some beta test mission.

Just a suggestion, but I recommend that you make the radius for your aircraft waypoints much larger, say 1000+ meters.  Small waypoints are harder for aircraft to hit. 

You don't need to use such a larger area. In RoF, and i use the same for Bos, i use 200 or 300 and it works fine at that moment. Using a larger area can give you problem.

StrycekFido, you have to use an airfield and edit the taxing waypoint using the Button Edit chart in the Airfield properties. Here is a single mission for test with 2 AI 109 which are on parking with cold start (appear 10 or 20 sec after the begining of the mission if i remember). They go to the runway, take off, land and go to the parking.

Be carefull, the waypoint for taxing must not be too long, even if you have a straight line. Have a look on my mission. If i do not use intermediate waypoint, the AI do not use them and go to the runway without using waypoint.

Keep in mind that in the plane advanced properties, and it's the same for players planes that :

In the air mean starting in the air, do not forget to set the altitude.

On the runway mean that engine is on. It's not a geographical position.

On the parking mean engine is off. It's not a geographical position.

So you can put a plane on the runway with engine off.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7de1in273ie8f27/IA_Parking.zip

You don't need to use such a larger area. In RoF, and i use the same for Bos, i use 200 or 300 and it works fine at that moment. Using a larger area can give you problem.

No, you don't usually need waypoints 2000 meters wide!   :biggrin:   

To clarify, I really meant to say 500 meters as a diameter setting, but I agree that 300 should cover most bases.   Anyway, the spirit of the suggestion was to make others aware that it's possible to re-size them and the default setting may be fine for things on the ground, but tight for things in the air.  

~S~ Everyone,

The Advanced Plane Properties >

[Add Event]  :  Type  : OnPlaneTookOf  : [Find Target] --->(First Waypoint Icon Marker) will start the Plane listening to the other Icons in succession thereafter automatically.

Including the Landing Icon placed at an Airport aligned with the runway. Don't forget to link each Waypoint or other MCU's to the Plane's Icon shown here in the red circle.

Bo_S_AI_Add_Event.jpg

~S~ Here's a little video I posted of testing the above out. It was fun. Enjoy! ~S~ :salute: >>>>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNtuMIHwcWM