LLv44_Monsteri

Problems with editor.

Hello. I have just started to actually try making missions. I did make a mission in RoF as a tutorial for my self and followed this guy on youtube as tutorial while using this new BoS editor but I seem to have trouble to actually get missions working.

I have been able to spawn units in the mission including myself with a plane. But it seems even tough everything should be in right order I cant get the Ai to do anything. I have used the mission start trigger and so on so dont bother telling me obvious things. Instead I would like you to tell me what I am doing wrong?

First of all. Should I somehow pack or alter the mission as a playable from before it's ready? And if so how do I do it?

Second. I can't seem to be able to save the groups I have made in a right directory. The editor does not recocnise the groups. Should I make a separate file for them and if then where and what is the name of the file.

I ask this because only way that I got my mission to work in the game was to make a file for my missions.

Hi Erholts,

To the first question, be sure that in the mission properties window you have set the rigth type of mission you are creating (Single, Deathmatch, etc...), that the only thing I can think of.

About the second, once you have selected the group you want to save, right button click---save selection to file and save it on the data/missions folder inside your BoS install. Then the groups should appear in the ME.

About what you doing wrong, hard to tell without seen it, screenshots??

Like Haash said, if you can post one or two screenshots it will be very easy for us to see what is going wrong.

Well I just looked at Syn_Haashashins goups of Russian AAA and it seems atleast on that group you have done nothing that the tutorials on RoF editor say. It's completely different than any of the ways that I have seen about how units should have been done in the game. First it seems that you have triggered the AAA units alive in the mission with one complex trigger and one timer with 0 seconds time. This seems odd to me atleast when all the tutorials say it should be enought to use Start mission to bring units alive.

I'm gonna steal your triggers a bit to try on my Ai planes:)

Screenshots are abit too tricky at this time for me so I just try things first:)

Edited by [GoM]Erholts

http://s2.postimg.org/mf1caxwmx/STEditor_2015_02_26_15_27_14_90.jpg

http://s21.postimg.org/9p3p97ch3/STEditor_2015_02_26_15_27_35_22.jpg

Basically I have those takeoff and land triggers over there in the end of the runway and the takeoff trigger is linked to the timer that again is linked to the mission begin trigger. Timer has 10 seconds in it. After takeoff the lead plane is ordered to take the first waypoint and make a formation.

Edited by [GoM]Erholts

And they are not taking off?? If you want them to follow a WP after took off, take a look at the group called "SP player take" off over at the sharing corner and you will see that the plane need a event added to it. Its on advanced propierties., you just need to do this to the leader plane, the rest will follow. Also use timer trigger all the time, for example between the WP and the formation Trigger.

First it seems that you have triggered the AAA units alive in the mission with one complex trigger and one timer with 0 seconds time.

Yeah small bug, the group still working but its better if the timer is at least 1sec. (This is for the MP AAA since I didnt find it on the SP ones).

And they are not taking off?? If you want them to follow a WP after took off, take a look at the group called "SP player take" off over at the sharing corner and you will see that the plane need a event added to it. Its on advanced propierties., you just need to do this to the leader plane, the rest will follow. Also use timer trigger all the time, for example between the WP and the formation Trigger.

Yeah small bug, the group still working but its better if the timer is at least 1sec. (This is for the MP AAA since I didnt find it on the SP ones).

Thanks. If it seemed so I was not critisising you on how you have done things. I was instead pointing out that I dont understand why you have done things so differently and because of that I am even more confused how to use the editor. If anything I was critisising the tutorials available right now for not giving all that is needed to learn the editor.

I didnt thought of your post as a critic, not for a sec.

I learned with the available tutorials and allmost all the work you see is from SYN_Vander work with the RoF ME, I just transfer them to BoS. The best thing is to start with the YouTube tutorials, made a SP mission, simple one and when you finish that (took me 1 month) then you will mostly understand everything.

Take into account that some of the logics you will see coming from SYN_Vander, are things he came up after working more than 4 years with RoF ME. I simply, and luckily enought, get to understand his work and can work on top of it.

OK. Couple of questions. On your SP attack formation. What is the Check zone for and in off range and out of range checking. What are these triggers checking for? Other planes or...

Also why are you deactivating those triggers? It does not work if they are not deactivated? Or is it so that those triggers do the check over and over again if not deactivated?

I'm asking these because if I am to make missions I need to understand all of this and not just copy groups. I need to be able to do any and all things that you can to be able to do efective missions.

I have been doing ARMA3 missions for a year now and DCS world missions too so I have some experience on mission making tough those editors are fastly different form this. :)

Edit: Ah ok the inrange outofrange check checks if the target is in range because the planes are doing short of "patrol". Right? Now it propably does not work if the targets are farther than this 6000 meters so it needs to have targets inside the zone that the plane is checking?

Edited by [GoM]Erholts

Ok. Still nothing works even when using your groups. They dont work either. So I will ask again. Is there something that you apsolutely have to do when saving the mission to ensure that the game actually reads the mission correctly?

Do I need to group everything? Do I need to convert the mission somehow in to some other format? Anything?

No you dont have to group everything or do anything special as fas as I know. Best thing is to send us the mission and I will take a look at it and tell you what I find.

OK. Couple of questions. On your SP attack formation. What is the Check zone for and in off range and out of range checking. What are these triggers checking for? Other planes or...

Also why are you deactivating those triggers? It does not work if they are not deactivated? Or is it so that those triggers do the check over and over again if not deactivated?

Check zone in and out of range for SP check if the player is near (you have to link it to the player by Object Link) after the Check for player trigger has been activated once, that way we save resources by spawn/despawn objects when player is near or away.

Edit: Ah ok the inrange outofrange check checks if the target is in range because the planes are doing short of "patrol". Right? Now it propably does not work if the targets are farther than this 6000 meters so it needs to have targets inside the zone that the plane is checking?

See above, the part where the planes do the patrol is after the WP and we use Command Attack Area MCU and also has a range yes.

No you dont have to group everything or do anything special as fas as I know. Best thing is to send us the mission and I will take a look at it and tell you what I find.

How can I send you the mission as a zip?

Ok. I am fustrated beond words. This editor is just moronic.

The amount of triggers you have to use to make Ai do anything is just stupid. Ai should have basic behaviour in it self to start with. Why it does not is out of my understanding.

I have tryed making a test mission with using ONLY your groups Haashashin and the Ai does not do anything. I made a simple mission where a players group. (Made by you) Took of from an airfield.

Then there was supposed to be another group of Ai planes (Again made by you) that would patrol around so I could see they are there. I made both begin from the same mission begin trigger or MCU as you call them.

The airfeld talked to me on take of and I did take of but my wingmen just stayed there on the ground.

Also the group that was supposed to be patrolling was not there. It simply did not exist. This has been a problem with my earlyer mission that I made completely myself. Only Ai that is in the ground exist and they do not do anything. Also all Ai that starts from the air do not even exist in the mission.

DCS has a lot more complex editor with options to make missions like any other sim and people tell me it's too hard to learn. Well this is way harder and it's missing something that DCS has. Smart Ai. If you tell Ai that it should take of exactly 30 minutes after the mission start it will take of 30 minutes after the mission starts and you make it with one waypoint. Not with 6 triggers that does not get the Ai even in to the air.

I am very close at giving up with this game and unfortunately with me goes our community since I am the only one making missions. I wish I was not, right now with this editor I wish I was not.

With DCS 2 Right on the corner and WW2 planes on it I cant see any reason to stay with this game anymore and I relly really wish I had because I love these planes and I have been with this game from the day one. I also love the prosbect

of the Battle of Moscow and I really hoped that along with dedicated servers and mission editor I could make my friends fly coop missions on this but now it seems that the game has made it impossible.

Only after I shot my own wingmen they started to move and even then they could not get up in the air. I am very clearly missing some key element form the missions that the tutorials do not tell anything about. Some Ai Behaviour trigger or some aspect of missions that affect the mission as a whole.

I'm sorry for the rant but as I said. I'm very very fustrated with the editor. Feel like throwing keyboards to the wall.

Hi Erhotls,

You can use Dropbox, mediafire or any online storage. For last resort you can sign up on our fórums and send it to me with PM over there.

I know it can be frustating, if you want we can meet on TS and will answer anything looking at your work.

• Upvote 1

The group you are using are link to a check zone which is your problem. The group you are using are made to appear if there is no human. As you set a player, the check zone detect you and don't activate the command chain. You use a group which is dedicated to a special situation (in general multiplayer). The goal of that group is to generate AI if there is no player, and deactivate AI if player is present. 

In your case, for the plane on the runway. Edit the properties of the check zone triger (ID 1241). In plane coalition, change Allies to True.

If you don't change anything, and you want it works, you have to put the player plane out off the range of the check zone. You can set a smaller area also.

For the airflight, It will be activate/deactivate as soon as a plane will be in an area you set. But again, it's link to a check zone with bad settings. The same as the other group.

If you want a simple airflight, download that group. You'll have 3 russian plane which patrol. Unzip file in :

H:\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\Missions

Run the editor, go on Group button, you should see Yak1_air. Clic on, and click on the map. it's a group which is add. To work with it. Go in the Left column. Left click on the Yak1_G02. Once is blue, right click on it, and select Set Group as working. Then you can work with that group, move waypoint, change the altitude, etc...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xk6497538el24kn/Yak1_air.zip

If you want PE2, instead Yak :

1- In the Left column, select the plane (left click on it).

2- The plane property is displayed.

3- Use the Model button, and choose the PE2. So the yak become a PE2.

Be carreful using that method. The nationality and properties are the same that the initial plane, so if you change a Yak to a BF109, the bf 109 will have the russian nationality. Don't forget to edit that settings. You have to check the payload too.

Hope this help you. Maybe others see some i don't.

I Donwloaded your group Habu. Put it in a mission and put myself in another plane there and tested the mission. Your group is not there. Only my plane. Exactly the same tproblem that I have had all along. Explain that and maybe I will actually get to do missions.

Ok, did you wait 10 minutes. There is a timer of 10 minutes. A group need to be adapt to your use.

So in you case, Select the groupe in the left colum. Right click on it then select Set group as working.

Go to the mission begin.

You have :

Mission begin => Timer => Activate and another Timer.

The timer linked to the mission begin is the time i want my airflight appear after the begining of the mission. In my group, i set it on 10 minutes. So the mission begin, a timer start and after 10 minutes, it run the activate command which will activate my AI (notice that the activate is only link to the leader, but in advanced properties of the planes, you have to uncheck enable for every planes of the flight). Then 2 secondes later i activate the first waypoint.

So if you don't to wait which is normal for a test, double click on the first timer and set the timer to 20 sec instead of 10 min.

Nope. 10 seconds in the timer. I chanced it. Nothing. No planes no patrol.

Thankyou for all of you who wanted and offered to help. But I have better things to do than fight with this. My opinion on this is that this is the worst editor I have ever encountered and that's it. For the life of me I can't understand why even devs would want to use editor that makes everything work by using thousand triggers. It does not make the editor powerfull, it just adds the amount of work that has to be done and adds the possibility of mistaces and unworkable missions.

I'm giving up. DCS2 is right around the corner so I'm focusing on there.