viperrm64

Slow motion in ME missions with lots of objects!!!

Oh well here we go again, the old is my PC up to the task question, well mine should be I hope. NOW THIS IS NOT A RANT!!! before you all start kicking off it is an observation.

I've just started building missions with a fair few objects with the new ME which is complex but not impossible(see my other thread on this subject) but there is a problem, at least with my rig. Once in the mission my frame rates are awful sometimes less than 20!! it seems that the more objects you place the worse it gets but in comparison(yes I know it's not as advanced graphically) IL2 COD copes with near unlimited user made objects with jus a slight drop in FPS.

I have an I7 4790K OC to 4.4GHZ, two GTX 770 2GB SLI and (this maybe the problem)16GB of 2000mhz RAM Win 7 64bit, running on a WD Velociraptor  hard drive, so my system is no slouch, but this first mission was practically unplayable, indeed when I went into F3 fly-by view it looked like me and wingmen were going backwards. Now this is not an immediate problem for me as I will use the ME to take screen shots of my repaints mainly but I bet a few of you are going to have this problem and like you I was looking forward to playing some of you talented mission builders SP missions. I know we can all cut back on the amount of objects we put into our missions but this will be a painful process of playing the mission then keep going back into the ME to decide what and indeed how many objects to exclude.

Also I claim I am no expert in any field of computing and mission building so it maybe something I have done wrong to cause the mission to run in JERKOVISION!!! so I am blaming no one at all, as I said it is an observation from playing around with the ME all day today.

Hopefully the DEVS may look into this if it becomes a problem for all of us without Kray Super Computer's!!!

Cheers Rob.

build your mission save it and add the templates (airfiled , town , city , bridges ... ) at the end and save it again under a new name. 

This way when you work on your mission you don't have thousand of objects slowing down the ME

Oh OK Foxy maybe that's what I did wrong, I thought it was pretty awful considering my specs, thanks i'll give that a try.

build your mission save it and add the templates (airfiled , town , city , bridges ... ) at the end and save it again under a new name. 

This way when you work on your mission you don't have thousand of objects slowing down the ME

+1

Well I did what Foxy suggested but to no avail. Maybe I didn't make myself clear, it's bad frame rates in the ME for sure if you have lots towns and stuff, but I'm talking about when actually playing the mission itself, so far they have all been unplayable with FPS as low as 5 - 10 in places(I usually get a solid 60+FPS in ultra), something must be wrong somewhere!!!! 

Can any one help or is it just something I am doing.

Edited by viperrm64

Well I did what Foxy suggested but to no avail. Maybe I didn't make myself clear, it's bad frame rates in the ME for sure if you have lots towns and stuff, but I'm talking about when actually playing the mission itself, so far they have all been unplayable with FPS as low as 5 - 10 in places(I usually get a solid 60+FPS in ultra), something must be wrong somewhere!!!! 

Can any one help or is it just something I am doing.

Oh ! my bad !!! sorry for the misunderstanding 

The RoF ME user manual has some guidelines about object numbers in a certain area. I don't recall them now but they were listed at the start of the manual.

Off hand I *think* it was something like no more than 20 different object types, and 50 instances if the object. I'm at work now so can't check.

3. Basic rules of mission building with the ROF Me.

When building a mission it’s important to remember the following basic rules:

- you need at least one Mission Begin translator, but their number is unlimited. For example you can
import stand-alone functional blocks of mission with the block itself having its own Mission Begin;

- each command has to be linked to an object that executes this command, i.e. the command has to
“know” who it belongs to;

- command or trigger are executed (turn on) only in case they are started by TL or Message from another
object;

- you should avoid giving commands to single object simultaneously and determine a sequence of
commands using Timer triggers (1-2 seconds);

- deactivated object doesn’t receive commands, keeping those received before deactivation;

- when activating an object there needs to be a delay before giving him new commands (1-2 seconds)
because activation process takes more then one step of modeling time;

- when using MCU Spawner remember that you can’t spawn a player (player controlled plane), you can’t
spawn groups;

- don’t place more then 20 objects of the same type (everything that is in the lists: Bridges, Buildings,
Airfields, Battlefield of the Library window) into one “screen frame” (approximately 5 km radius);

- it’s important to consider the priority of the command given to the object;

- don’t place more then 35 objects of different type into one “screen frame”;

- AI will attack only an object that belongs to opposite (enemy) coalition, it’s important to remember
about it when building missions;

- it’s important to adhere the limitations for MCU of the Editor, which are listed in X section of this
manual;

:) 

Edited by oy_dane
  • Upvote 1

Just that you know guys, that manual (RoF one) is kinda obsolete, certain things wont work as detailed there.

Also about object limits, I never took them into account and for me they are there to be a broken :biggrin:  :lol:

It's nice to know SYN_Haashashin , but how do we get new and better knowledge of Me if this can not be used as a " guideline " ? :)

I mostly used SYN_Vander YouTube videos as a source, after Reading the manual of course ;), and asked lots of questions. Im not saying you should not read that manual, you of course should. I was just letting you guys know so you dont get frustated if something told there doesnt work ;).

• Upvote 1

BoS AI objects (everything moving) can be quite resourse intensive, specially aircraft and objects with machineguns. The best way to work around the limitations is to spawn such objects when they are needed ( ie in proximity of the player) and delete them when they are out of sight. That way you can still experience lots of other aircraft during a mission and have good framerates. If you start the mission with all AI objects active from the start then you will run into problems.

This doesn't work so well in a multiplayer mission, because there is more than one player, but then you usually don't need AI aircraft.

Edited by SYN_Vander

So this 20 objects in 5 km the reason mp completely slows down it there are a lot of players in the same airspac? That really needs to be improved upon!!!!!

Thanks all,

Dane you are right object count is vital as is correct mission structure, managed my first OK mission today a simple take-off and waypoint follow to land at another field, all went well, so i'll build of this experience and with the help of you guys and Vanders Youtube videos i'll get there. OR DIE TRYING!!!LOL.

• Upvote 1

Question...which map are you using?  If you're using the huge Stalingrad map - an old ROF practice was that you really had to delete any towns/bridges/cities etc. you weren't going to be using --- because your game may be trying to run all of the towns/cities/bridges in the entire map.

For example, in ROF if you used to the largest map they suggested you basically select a 50x50 KM area to use...and delete everything else.  You'd group everything you wanted to keep, create a group name and then delete all the other groups on the map.  This is just a guess.  I know my ME won't even run when I load all of the towns/cities/blocks on the big Stalingrad map.

Some interesting info here. Thanks.

I'm new to this FME. Tried to build some very basic missions a few days ago. Got one working for Zeus' map but got mission integrity failure messages when trying to import the templates for the main Stalingrad and Lapino maps. I was following the procedure outlined in the Vander ROF mission tutorials, where the template is imported right at the start.

There's only one template group for Lapino but it produced errors. There are many for the main Stalingrad map and I assumed I needed to import all of them..? My PC was slowly turning into a slideshow and I would keep getting the integrity error messages.

So, can anyone explain what the best procedure is here? Especially I don't understand why the Novo map (1 group imported) worked and the Lapino (also 1 group) failed?

Any help appreciated.

The errors in the Lapino map are:

Object(888:Block) >> no model file! : graphics\blocks\arf_tower.mgm
Object(888:Block) >> no script file! : LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Blocks\arf_tower.txt