WhiteYeti

Calling all Aussie,Kiwi's and Asian Pilots

I'll put up Oz Squad ( a message tittle sent to me by Felix ) but with Skajrat's pic in his post

I'll give it to Sunday before we'll make it more official, don't be shy put your suggestions forward.

Cheers WhiteYeti.

Great to see some interest in forming a squad.  

Perhaps the most flamboyant Australian RAAF pilot and test cricketer was Keith Miller.  He flew Mosquito's.  An interesting story and worth a look.

Anyway, I thought we could name the squad after Miller.  

For instance, his Test batting average was 36.97 - so 36 Squadron, 37 Squadron or 36.97 Squadron (I like the latter).

Test bowling average 22.97, total test wickets 170, etc

I like the 36.97 Squadron because it does not stand on anyone's toes, no RAAF Sqn is designated as 36.97!

PS did you know that in 1944 Australia had the fourth largest air force in the world!

• Upvote 1

Another suggestion.

In 1940 Australian forces were involved in the failed Greek campaign.   The axis had total air superiority.  The Australian soldiers had a bitter nickname for their RAF/RAAF colleagues - The Blue Orchids - because their appearance on the battlefield was "Rare as f@!*ing Blue Orchids!"   Deliberately or not the RAAF adopted the term.  

blue_orchid.jpg

Re Keith Miller - 36.97 sounds like a radio station!  But a great character and story to use as a basis for a name.

Edited by Felix_Culpa
  • Upvote 1

Giving it till 6 pm tonight, so far the last suggestion from Felix is looking good picture ( cool pic Skajrat) and all. The Blue Orchids, Grave Diggers Squadron.

Cheers WhiteYeti.

Going to go with Blue Orchids, Grave Diggers Squadron Recruiting Post will be up in a couple of days.

Cheers WhiteYeti.