Redwulf__68

External camera control

For reasons I cannot remember but it may have been frustrated rage due to incomprehensible camera settings definitions, I appear to have no control whatsoever in external view.

So, 2 questions:

1.  How can you select TIR to be default view motion & then release all the assigned view commands for your own needs?
  2. How can you control external views?

I've periodically looked through forums for about 4 months & there is still no clear set of definitions which explain the multitude of key commands which are preset.

While I'm at it, ESC & F1 occasionally don't work leading in most cases to crash into ground or total machine lockup.

Rather tedious!

~S~

A month goes by, 158 page views & no answers.

Well, let me ask the same question in a different way. Is there a guide somewhere which explains what the key commands actually mean?

I reset default settings in the view menu & can use the mouse to pan in external views but not Track IR which, after using it for 8 years, is rather more natural. However, of course that action reset ALL setting so back to the beginning to attempt to remember what I had set to each option.

For those that criticise others and myself for not trying through trial & error to work these things out for ourselves; in absence of anything resembling a help file, this forum is all we have.

So to be unable to find answers reduces morale to explore the game when I now can only devote around 2 hours a week to flying. I began with CFS1 in 1998, joined Redwulf in 2000 & have been flying in the virtual world ever since.

Therefore if 17 years of experience cannot guide me, the game developers cannot produce a manual, is there any hope for a "part-timer"?

PLEASE can someone help?

BOS does not support Track IR in external views.

I wish it did, and asked about this back during early access, but got no response.

I myself just use my Hat 1 ( POV Hat) for panning the view while in external mode.

But I am with you, I sure wish I could pan the external view with Track IR instead.

Edited by dburne

Redwulf, how do you manage to pan with the mouse in external views? I'm not able to. :ph34r:

It really sucks that there is no manual...

~S~ Wuerger,

The really simple answer is I'm not sure. All I know is that when I reset all settings, I can use the mouse to pan around & zoom in & out with wheel.

One crucial point I will make is that screenshot every page in your current settings before you do this. I understand the user settings are stored in a file somewhere in the game directory, however because the descriptions are rather vague, then the best way is to refer to previous screens.

This is incredibly old fashioned & even now, 2 weeks after making that momentous change, am still adjusting keys for effective control. The singlemost frustrating element of this exercise is the way that some view setttings are preselected for you & without systematically going through everything, then wee surprises such as snapping to gunsight on pressing cannon drive me bonkers.

Do let us know if you have a breakthrough!

I think that a lot of the view/camera controls are similar to RoF you may find some useful info from the comprehensive RoF manual downloadable from RoF site

Cheers Dakpilot

Navigate to:

"Whatever Path You Installed Your IL2"\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\input

There you will find amongst others this two files:

current.actions

current.map

***MAKE A COPY OF THEM TO BE SECURED IN CASE OF MIX UP***

Those are the user key setings files. You can open them with any txt editor.

Thanks for your support, comrades :salute:

Every hint was helpful.

Did reset all settings and now I can move the camera in external views. In IL-2 however, I moved the airplane with the mouse, in BoS, I move the camera. If I want to look underneath the plane, I have to move the mouse down in Bos, In IL-2 I moved the mouse up which I found more intuitive.  

However I do not succeed to reverse the mouse direction in BoS (hope you understand my pigeon English ;) ). There is a small white box in the settings of each mouse axis (switch mouse direction or so), but it doesn't work. Any idea? 

Thanks for your support, comrades :salute:

Every hint was helpful.

Did reset all settings and now I can move the camera in external views. In IL-2 however, I moved the airplane with the mouse, in BoS, I move the camera. If I want to look underneath the plane, I have to move the mouse down in Bos, In IL-2 I moved the mouse up which I found more intuitive.  

However I do not succeed to reverse the mouse direction in BoS (hope you understand my pigeon English ;) ). There is a small white box in the settings of each mouse axis (switch mouse direction or so), but it doesn't work. Any idea? 

This is a bug, which has been reported but yet to be fixed, however another proper request in bug tracking thread will maybe help to maybe move it up the list

Cheers Dakpilot

What about external zoom in and out? 

I can't find the settings for this. 

The zoom in and out ( from cockpit view ) 

does not work, when I'm using external view 

Thank you, any advices are welcome 

PS : I'm using Trackir 5

So, it's not possible to zoom in / out / from external view ?!

3 hours ago, Avyx said:

So, it's not possible to zoom in / out / from external view ?!

Mouse wheel.