BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 87 - Discussion

Hi Everybody,

February 2nd, 1943 is when the Battle of Stalingrad was over after the surrounded 6th Army capitulated. In the memory of that date we want to share with you at least a part of the plans that our team is currently working at.

Let’s start with what is already complete. On Monday, February 9th we’re going to deploy a small update to the official website. As a result, a new item will appear in the premium account profiles - “Activate modifications” button.

modif_eng.png

Owners of Premium accounts will be able activate all modifications without unlocking them in Campaign mode. You have a Premium account if you bought Premium edition, or Standard edition plus both additional planes: La-5 and Fw 190 A-3. Activating modifications cannot be reverted so you must make a considerate and thoughtful decision before you click the button. Note that this button doesn’t activate unlockable plane skins which remain obtainable through the Campaign.

What else is coming to BOS this spring? Of course, I’m talking about full mission editor and dedicated server software which will become available to every player. We’ve overcome some temporary difficulties, and now we’re working actively on the user version of FME. It should be ready this spring, in April or May 2015. And as the development goes, Loft and I will be sharing the most interesting details about it with you.

mission-editor-logo-eng.jpg

And now a few words about what is coming to BOS within the next few months. Keep in mind, that I’m about to tell just a part of current plan that the team is working at right now. I’m keeping some good news for the next announcement.

We are going to add 2 new versions of the Stalingrad map - summer and autumn maps, and also new campaign chapters telling the history of earlier phases of the Battle in the 3rd quarter of 2015. The maps will be available to all current and future owners of the game in all possible modes. The level design team now includes the author of the Velikie Luki community project map Zeus--. In less than 18 months after he launched the ROF mission editor for the first time, in August 2013, Zeus- with the help of a small team of enthusiasts managed to professionally recreate a huge location without any specific support from us. Well, the new maps are definitely in good hands now with this guy on board.

The progress in making those maps with definitely be shown in the future blog updates. And the nearest ones are going to be devoted to sharing the further IL2BOS plans with you. So, keep in touch.

Full news

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 18

I'm really looking forward to the Spring and Fall maps. Thanks. This is a Great Update.

Unlocks for premium accounts should appeal to many.

Indeed.

So, what about those who only bought 1 of 2 premium planes, like myself. Dont we have the same "rights"? I have zero interest in the La5 and im certainly not going to buy it just to get the unlocks removed.

Does this mean im sh** out of luck?

"You have a Premium account if you bought Premium edition, or Standard edition plus both additional planes: La-5 and Fw 190 A-3."

You just had to make that distinction, you couldnt just keep it simple and do the same for everyone who bought the game pre release/early access.

Edited by Baron
  • Upvote 5

Good news!

Looking forward to autumn & summer map... and to the good news kept for next announcements.

Welcome to Zeus to your team!

Looking forward to "activate modification" on Monday!

Cheers,

Edited by PA-Sniv

Sorry to start off on a downer but to clarify, if I have the standard edition (early access) but only the fw190 then I don't get the unlocks activated? And I would need to buy the la5 to be able to clear the unlocks?

• Upvote 5

"2 new versions of the Stalingrad map - summer and autumn maps"

good news :)

• Upvote 1

Great news !!

Very excited with the FMB, the new versions of Stalingrad maps, a big thank you to Zeus and all other involved !

What's the FME ? "Flight Model Edtitor" ??

Ok, ok, I was completely aside of the thing. :)

Edited by Solmyr

New maps are great news! And its good thing a solution was founded to unlockc issue.

Thanks for diary!

Summer and Autumn Stalingrad maps!

For me that's even better than a flyable Ju52/3m!

(No more snow-blindness for my tired old eyes...)

Thanks Devs,  wonderful update.

• Upvote 4

The summer/autumn map version is a big deal and great news.. but the mission editor is delayed again? For April/May now? This is getting beyond ridiculous.

Edited by Sim
  • Upvote 2

Thank you team, for providing a way for us to get rid of the unlocks.

Perhaps now I can get back to flying BOS some, I still am not fond of the campaign design as I much prefer more of a pilot storyline, but hopefully with the release eventually of the FME I remain hopeful of some good community developed campaigns.

I assume with it being referred to as a FME that it will be able to string missions into a campaign design?

• Upvote 2

Sorry to start off on a downer but to clarify, if I have the standard edition (early access) but only the fw190 then I don't get the unlocks activated? And I would need to buy the la5 to be able to clear the unlocks?

Yes, you've to buy both additional planes: La-5 and Fw 190 A-3 to be able to clear the unlocks.

• Upvote 2

You add new objects like wolga ships for the sommer map and not destroyed Stalingrad Buildings?

Edited by Veteran66
  • Upvote 3

Great to see unlock gone.. now I am all in on Stuka and 111 on Syndicate :D

Summer will make a few of my squad mates really happy!.. good update!

If they don't add ships the community can, see RoF for ships the community has added!

Full Mission Editor I guess...

What else is coming to BOS this spring? Of course, I’m talking about full mission editor and dedicated server software which will become available to every player. We’ve overcome some temporary difficulties, and now we’re working actively on the user version of FME. It should be ready this spring, in April or May 2015. And as the development goes, Loft and I will be sharing the most interesting details about it with you.

Looking very much forward to the new maps. So far what I've seen Zeus do is pretty darn impressive. I think you made the right call hiring him as a professional.

The unlock thing I couldn't care less about tbh. I think they're wrong on principle and I'm not particularly bothered by them on a personal level. But hey, if it motivates more people to buy Premium, there's nothing wrong with that.

A bit sad to hear, that the FMB is still months away. I can hardly wait to see, what the community can do with it.

Also, while the new maps IS big news, I'm not really seeing the roadmap that I expected. We know a lot of stuff is in the pipeline, Ju 52, Macchi C. 202, fully modelled oxygen system etc. Are you planning on releasing more news on this in short order over the coming days, or are we left to guess?

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 3

Way to segment the community even more.

"Note that this button doesn’t activate unlockable plane skins which remain obtainable through the Campaign."

How come I'm not surprised.... 

• Upvote 2

So, what about those who only bought 1 of 2 premium planes, like myself.

I am in the same boat - but I have already unlocked pretty much everything I wanted, so doesn't really bother me.

We're offering this option to premium accounts only. If you decide to by the tenth plane then yes, your account will become a premium one.

The summer/autumn map version is a big deal and great news.. but the mission editor is delayed again? For April/May now? This is getting beyond ridiculous.

The delay was explained by Jason several weeks ago. We have only 2 programmers. The one in charge of editor got ill. Very seriously. It took us time to find the resources and try to get back to the schedule.

• Upvote 6

Yep, you are not worthy, hell you only payed 70$, that's peanuts in these circles.

• Upvote 1

You add new objects like wolga ships for the sommer map and not destroyed Stalingrad Buildings?

I'm sure there will be such objects. Let's wait and see.

• Upvote 5

Every preorder should have all unlocks or the ones wiht standard that bough a premium plane for his faction,

I only need the La-5 but I bought the Fw190, and I dont think is good expending 20$ on something i am not gonna fly, my budget is not big.

PS: Nice update on the extra maps, and the unlocks "free" on some people is very good news, including the unlocks for every preorder would give to me and my community another look at this title,

Edited by E69_Manu
  • Upvote 1

Way to segment the community even more.

"Note that this button doesn’t activate unlockable plane skins which remain obtainable through the Campaign."

How come I'm not surprised.... 

Given the ability to have custom skins - I am not sure I understand why this is a big issue. Most of the complaints regarding unlocks were that it prevented people from being able to fly missions with loadouts that required an unlock. Some paint shouldn't be a show stopper?

• Upvote 3

Great update and good news 

Have made my way through most of the unlocks team, and will probably continue to do so, but I'm very thankful for your consideration of how most people felt about that issue, and for making the change. Thanks for listening and giving customers a choice.

Summer and Autumn maps are a superb addition, and again will be welcomed by all.

Keep going

Thank you

Good update !

I don't play very often, but if the mission editor goes back, I will certainly play more

Edited by jeanba

Excellent!

I think this makes perfect sense. You pony up for the big package you get the option to disable unlocks. It encourages people to buy the larger package while still making the content availible to those that don't.

Thank you so very much. I'm serious I think your will win back a lot of players with this.

• Upvote 1

Good news. I hope we don't have to wait MONTHS for at least one of the 2 new maps?

3rd quarter => I fear this means MONTHs

We're offering this option to premium accounts only. If you decide to by the tenth plane then yes, your account will become a premium one.

I haven't complained before about the unlocks but I've got to be honest but that does suck rather a large one. Backed this from day 1 and now I have to spend more just to clear something that was imposed late on. Don't get me wrong I'm glad you've realised that something needed to happen with them but sheesh, not the best solution.

Summer and Autumn map is great news, nice to fly around in a green plane and nót be seen :biggrin: from fifty miles

it begs the question, will Development Team have planes for us which were there during the months before the main BoS, like the i-16 ?