dario

a month without patch

It's getting long, especially considering the amount of work needed in the game. The game is clearly out with a year in advance.

The month saw Christmas break, massive overhaul of RoF (with another hinted at) Ju-52 and Macchi WIP sneak peaks. A roadmap would be nice to have, though. 

It's getting long, especially considering the amount of work needed in the game. The game is clearly out with a year in advance.

1) We're working on solid additions to the game that take some time to be finished. Including those that you don't know about yet.

2) We are not throwing patches as soon as possible, because there's no specific need for it. I mean when it's done - it's done. Noone is naping at ther desks here.

• Upvote 25

Zak, many thanks for this message, it is really clear, keep up up the good work !

+1

I think that a lot of users know the priorities. Patch for FM o DM for me isn't a priority now. If this is bad, is bad for all, so no problem, >for me<

1) We're working on solid additions to the game that take some time to be finished. Including those that you don't know about yet.

2) We are not throwing patches as soon as possible, because there's no specific need for it. I mean when it's done - it's done. Noone is naping at ther desks here.

That is the kind of language i like.

No BS, no tiptoing around the subject, clear and concise.

"plus a million"

OP: let them do their Jobs, and stop counting days and hours.

• Upvote 1

That is the kind of language i like.

No BS, no tiptoing around the subject, clear and concise.

"plus a million"

OP: let them do their Jobs, and stop counting days and hours.

+1

Maybe a few details of what's next soon, would be nice addition.

I personally didn't think the Dev's had their feet up lol.

I

Solid additions - like an i16 and macchi perhaps ????? ;)

Solid additions - like an i16 and macchi perhaps ????? ;)

More like a P-40 and BF-110 :D

My thoughts are that We don't need any tweaks or any adjustments for now... If there would be FMB or co-op missions, all of us would be focused on those for a long time (don't thing anybody would be asking patches) and that way producers would have time to do tweaks or whatever.

Tissue?

No. The game's not THAT exciting. ;)

LoL!! That could get messy....

I for one did not think so.. but it is good to see it in type.. :salute:

And it will probably be another month until our next update. The team has been focused on ROF for a bit. We owed ROF some love. But work continues on the ME and Dserver with one of our newer team members. As you have seen the Ju-52 is coming along and we're actively working on out our next move.

Jason

• Upvote 6

And it will probably be another month until our next update. The team has been focused on ROF for a bit. We owed ROF some love. But work continues on the ME and Dserver with one of our newer team members. As you have seen the Ju-52 is coming along and we're actively working on out our next move.

Jason

What kind of timeline is there for the ME?

It sounded like it was close to being finished in November. I can't imagine that there is a lot to do, is there?

Jason

Great news for ROF. Thx Jason

Edited by SYN_Vorlander

What kind of timeline is there for the ME?

It sounded like it was close to being finished in November. I can't imagine that there is a lot to do, is there?

As I mentioned earlier, even though some do not believe me, that work got delayed by the illness of the programmer who was working on it. So we had to locate, hire and train a new guy and that is only now showing progress. Just because we are not completely overhauling the GUI of the ME does not mean there is much work internally to the ME. There is quite a lot of different logic in the BOS ME compared to the ROF ME etc. Plus I believe we are adding a few new features and fixing some bugs in the ME, plus stripping out old ROF items that are no longer valid.

It will come. No one is happy about the slowness of the full public release.

Jason

• Upvote 5

Jason,

will there be any news about the plans for BoS in 2015 in the near future? I know a number of people who are waiting with the purchase of the game till it is clear how the development will continue.

This has to be the only genre I've ever played where development road maps are requested by the customers/players. Not investors, customers. I've never seen a development timeline/roadmap requested for Battlefield or Call of Duty, or World of Warcraft, or Minecraft, or etc.

There wasn't even a development path or even a "what is next" for the original Il-2 series. I don't even think there is one for DCS - well except get EDGE out at some point in time.

There should be a thought experiment, or psychological analysis, on the "number of people," and this isn't the first mention as individuals have directly requested it here, that want this developmental road map from a sim/game that costs $100 (or less). The stuff I've read on this forum the past few months has been something else.

• Upvote 3

I think a lot of the scepticism towards BoS by parts of the flight sim community has to do with the CLoD release disaster. I was told by more than one person that they will wait with the purchase till it is clear if and how the development will continue. I agree with you, that this isn't the most rational behaviour, but obviously that's how many people think.

• Upvote 1

As I mentioned earlier, even though some do not believe me, that work got delayed by the illness of the programmer who was working on it. So we had to locate, hire and train a new guy and that is only now showing progress. Just because we are not completely overhauling the GUI of the ME does not mean there is much work internally to the ME. There is quite a lot of different logic in the BOS ME compared to the ROF ME etc. Plus I believe we are adding a few new features and fixing some bugs in the ME, plus stripping out old ROF items that are no longer valid.

It will come. No one is happy about the slowness of the full public release.

Jason

So there are jo chances of giving the community at large the me as it currently stands? The same one that some people already have?

I think everyone would understand the limitations and the like. Just be upfront about it.

This has to be the only genre I've ever played where development road maps are requested by the customers/players. Not investors, customers. I've never seen a development timeline/roadmap requested for Battlefield or Call of Duty, or World of Warcraft, or Minecraft, or etc.

There wasn't even a development path or even a "what is next" for the original Il-2 series. I don't even think there is one for DCS - well except get EDGE out at some point in time.

There should be a thought experiment, or psychological analysis, on the "number of people," and this isn't the first mention as individuals have directly requested it here, that want this developmental road map from a sim/game that costs $100 (or less). The stuff I've read on this forum the past few months has been something else.

This must be the only genre you closely follow then

As was clearly stated, no. Also, the only titles with a developmental timeline are ones that are - wait for it - kickstarted. And that makes sense, because they were kickstarted.

As was clearly stated, no. Also, the only titles with a developmental timeline are ones that are - wait for it - kickstarted. And that makes sense, because they were kickstarted.

Neither Arma 3 or Assetto Corsa were kickstarted. Yet the developers shared roadmaps.

Besides that your clain was "only genre I've ever played where development road maps are requested by the customers/players."

Which is a funny claim because you go on to mention minecraft as being a title where this doesn't happen. Yet a simple google search shows this to be untrue.

There are plenty of valid things you can fault the flight sim community for. Singling them out as the only ones who request roadmaps isn't one of then.

Let's face it, the devs are damned if they release the FMB now and damned if they don't.

If they release it now, it'll be unfinished, and we'll hear non-stop complaining about how unfinished it is (what a surprise). 

If they wait, we'll continue to hear the constant stream of "is it ready yet?".

I have faith in the fact that the devs are doing their level best to release these features in the best state possible. But I know I'm part of a minority thinking that.

• Upvote 3

I have faith in the fact that the devs are doing their level best to release these features in the best state possible. But I know I'm part of a minority thinking that.

+1

I think so too.

Let's face it, the devs are damned if they release the FMB now and damned if they don't.

If they release it now, it'll be unfinished, and we'll hear non-stop complaining about how unfinished it is (what a surprise). 

+1

Yup if they release it right now, it will be a witch hunt by the usual crew

• Upvote 1

I think it's fair to request a roadmap at this point as the Dev's stated there would be one in December IIRC. I have enough patience and maturity, however, to wait for it and understand timelines are not set in stone.

Edited by HerrMurf

Also, have you guys been over to the OPERATIONS server? It's still rough around the edges but the ground war is very active, has a high unit count, and dynamic. I've been having fun ground pounding over there. It needs more stress testing but could be very good as an end product. Good use of the FMB in its current state.

Edited by HerrMurf

Jason,

will there be any news about the plans for BoS in 2015 in the near future? I know a number of people who are waiting with the purchase of the game till it is clear how the development will continue.

That is more likely also because of all the unsubstantiated, totally unfounded, speculative at best scuttlebutt floating around about this sim's demise.

Yes it has. Many here don't request anything.. they demand it... and become personally offended if they do not receive the answer they want in a timely fashoion.

I think a lot of the scepticism towards BoS by parts of the flight sim community has to do with the CLoD release disaster. I was told by more than one person that they will wait with the purchase till it is clear if and how the development will continue. I agree with you, that this isn't the most rational behaviour, but obviously that's how many people think.

That may very well be the case.. but some of it is just over the top and totally unwarranted. Damned if you do and damned if you don't? Consider the OP's statement...

The game is clearly out with a year in advance.

and imagine the uproar if the sim had not been released yet at all... Imagine the speculations on what was "really" happening :unsure: .. especially in light of the DCS WWII fiasco.. and of course the CoD release debacle. There would be an entirely different set of complaints.

So there are jo chances of giving the community at large the me as it currently stands? The same one that some people already have?

I think everyone would understand the limitations and the like. Just be upfront about it.

Apparently not... and that is their choice...  if it isn't ready for prime time it isn't ready.

It seems that way... if they say nothing because there is nothing to say then people start demanding roadmaps... if they post something then they are held to every jot and tittle and if something is not exactly as stated 3 months prior they are called liars and thieves.. or worse.

Regardless to the communication or the lack thereof I have no doubt that a year from now we will have a far better product that what we have now.. with some new content as well...

• Upvote 2

I don't mind at all if it takes a while to get new content out. Would be nice to know whats in the works though :biggrin:

I fully agree with you, it feels like people are demanding a lot and feel very entitled.

However, we have to take into account that a couple of things have changed since the original IL2 series.

I'm talking about the entire game industry, not BOS only:

• Early access: Games have started asking for the money in advance, before the games are finished. People want to see that there is progress being made and that they didnt throw away their money. That's where the similarities with the investors you mentioned come from. Although pre-purchasing doesnt grant us the same rights, that feeling is still there.

• Alpha/Beta testing: Although this is by no means a new concept, it has become a much bigger deal in the last few years, and a larger part of the clients are collaborating in the process of improving and polishing the product. That makes us feel like we are part of the development and therefore, the expectations of being updated might be higher. After all, we have been updating them with what works and what needs improvement too. 

• Environment: Following this trend of early access funding, there are many games that are starting to communicate with their customers on a frequent basis, trying to maintain the hype and momentum (and sales). Some examples that come to mind are StarCitizen, Kingdom Come among many. This also creates expectations from customers, where this frequent updating and communication is becoming the new normal (slowly), especially for the early access games. Many people expect the game devs/publishers to keep up with this new trend.

In summary, doing things the old fashioned way where it's almost like a black box until release day doesnt work anymore, especially because you are getting funded in a different way. Back then im sure they also had to show roadmaps and frequently update their source of funding on their progress.

*Disclaimer: I only used the old IL-2 series as an example because you used it. I wasn't around when it was developed and I dont know how much of a collaborative effort the initial release was.

• Upvote 1

Maybe it's because people can see the work other genres are doing and they just want to know if they should bother sticking around. 

• Upvote 1

Il-2%202015-01-23%2015-06-50-076_zps0xeq

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAAAAAAHHAAHAHAHAH WOOOOO, Ha aaa ok, hold on...  Whhaaaaahahahahahhahahhahahahahhahahahahahahah THAT'S FUNNY

Maybe it's because people can see the work other genres are doing and they just want to know if they should bother sticking around. 

yes this seems to be the mantra on all the flight forums about BOS, and CLOD....

As in one star wars movie, it was called "HOPE"

I might make requests for a new plane now and again or a summer map , but I don't demand it . I know every development with a sim like this , takes time . Sofar this Sim is amazing . the damage modeling , the detail on pretty much everything , The immersion factor etc . I think sometimes requests can be taken as complaints . But just because I , for example wish there was a summer map , doesn't mean I don't like the Sim . I think it's really quite an awesome job these guys are doing , and I know it will only get better with time .Many people here were the "founder " members while the sim was being developed and were actually asked for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism , in which there can be a fine line , in that , and coming across as complaining . Oh by the way , please fix the hit sounds issue ;)

Edited by pencon