Dakpilot

Best graphics/performance Nvidia

After patch 1.008 I re-looked at all graphic settings to get best look with decent performance, previously I was running non full screen with Vsync off with no tearing at native res 1920 X 1080, however I had a tiny micro stutter at close in view external and internal, also annoying shimmering at distant forest and cities and ploughed fields and had the jaggies with cloud backdrop, although FPS was excellent it was annoying

Here are my settings which reduce those effect but still give me very adequate performance. See sig for computer specs.

!. Set DSR in global setting to @X and smoothing to 30%

post-6177-0-09071500-1420546926_thumb.jpg

2. Set BoS settings in Nvidia CP

post-6177-0-01232600-1420547032_thumb.jpg

post-6177-0-33456200-1420547065_thumb.jpg

3. Change terrain.ini file

post-6177-0-74742600-1420547151_thumb.jpg

4. Set BoS settings

post-6177-0-32098600-1420547225_thumb.jpg

5. Set BoS graphic settings

post-6177-0-19489200-1420547334_thumb.jpg

Test results at these settings with fraps, large Stalingrad Map QMB autopilot

post-6177-0-58880000-1420547514_thumb.jpg

post-6177-0-06550800-1420547566_thumb.jpg

post-6177-0-54595700-1420547704_thumb.jpg

Result of flight 8 Lagg destroyed 4 109 lost furball at low medium level over city all done in cockpit view, although the low spike of 38 is a bit low it is always fluid with no microstutters and decent image quality, so far completely stable with no crashes

Seems to be the best I have yet tried, hope is useful for people with similar equipment

Cheers Dakpilot

Thanks, will have to try some these settings when I get back home. Couple of questions:

1. You seem to be using in-game fullscreen mode. Any reason? I thought windowed mode with vsync off is the way to go now. Does this get rid of the zoom-in stutters you mentioned (as I am seeing them too)?

2. And what's the impact of 2x DSR? This seems like an extreme setting (needs to render 2x number of pixels if I understood this thing correctly).

3. Screenshots look a bit blurry, although can't say if it's a bad thing, as it looks like it helps with removing the gap between forest draw distance?

Edited by Sim

Can only use DSR when in full screen, and 2X does seem a bit extreme but seems to help with cloud background issues and shimmering of distant objects, you could maybe set DSR smoothing a bit lower to get more sharpness, but I was happy with this result  so far and very fluid fps.

I had tried various factors of DSR before on previous patch versions but it had too much FPS impact, the combination of these settings now allows me to run at 2560x1440 DSR with little FPS impact and no microstutters

Cheers Dakpilot

I think the issue with the clouds is just that the antialiasing doesn't detect the plane as edges against it. So setting higher AA doesn't help. DSR does because it's esentially the oerfect form of AA just its really expensive in performance. Is it correct that 2.0 DSR is esentially the same benefit to sharpness as 2x AA? Since it's sampling each pixel twice.

In my own test mission 8 vs 8 with 8 bombers over the City setting any DSR (2.0 or 4.0) drops my min FPS to 25. Clearly my bottleneck is the CPU. Hopefully the cloud issue just gets fixed eventually so that demanding graphic settings aren't required.

DSR is more expensive than MSAA. DSR is just supersampling and it's actually more expensive performance wise then playing the game in the DSR resolution. The plus side is you can't play 1440p on a 1080p monitor without it :P

Dak, have you tried turning off AA in game all together and running a higher DSR factor with the bonus framerate? I also recommend leaving texture filtering on "Quality" there is a lot of optimizations that get ditched when setting it to "High Quality" and very little actual gain in picture quality. 

Edited by driftaholic

Yes i imagine if DSR is set to 4.0 you could disable the antialiasing. I haven't tried that in a while.

My FPS test is to use this mission and just run Fraps while looking at the bombers, my frame rate will jump way up if I move away from them so I just stay with that

Using DSR set to 4.0 and no AA I get an average of 48fps with Vsynch set to 60 and a minimum of about 30

Using Nvidia CP to enhance AA at 8x and DSR off gets the same performance but I think it gives better anti-aliasing overall despite the clouds looking better with DSR

post-1189-0-91363200-1420690121_thumb.jpg

I think this is the best performance I have got so far

at 1080x1920 with DSR off

I'm running SLI so it's better to set Vsync in NCP to On (smooth) the higher frame rates don't cause any tearing and result in a higher average frame rate.

I get min 41, Max 87 Avg 61

These are all NCP defaults except the ones in bold

post-1189-0-65522000-1420692079_thumb.jpg

post-1189-0-72946000-1420692107_thumb.jpg

post-1189-0-66121100-1420692116_thumb.jpg

Clearly my bottleneck is the CPU

No, your bottleneck  is in screen resolution vs GPU system, not in CPU.
If you use only one 1080p screen for this SLI, bad solution, this SLI need higher screen resolution to work better (I'm sure that at 4k with this GTX980 in SLI you can play very very smooth)
  • Upvote 1

No, your bottleneck is in screen resolution vs GPU system, not in CPU.

If you use only one 1080p screen for this SLI, bad solution, this SLI need higher screen resolution to work better (I'm sure that at 4k with this GTX980 in SLI you can play very very smooth)

Good to know. Thanks. I'm planning to get a 4K monitor actually and I'm wondering if even these two GPUs will be enough.

My experience is that I only get the lower frame rates deliberately flying in the furrball of this mission. I'm trying to get the fps as low as possible. Away from so many aircraft the FPS shoots up very high. That's why I figured it is the CPU.

Edited by SharpeXB

Do a simple test. Via OSD with MSI Afterburner check your GPU use vs different screen resolutions. Higher screen resolution will give you best GPU use, and better perfomance and framerate in some cases. 

S!

If the GPU(s) don't run on 100%, than they are bottlenecked by the CPU. If they run on 100%, than they are not limited by the CPU and therefore are themself the bottleneck.

To give some examples when bottlenecks can happen:

My two old GTX670 where bottlenecked by my i7 3770K (not overclocked) if I was close to the ground for example.

My 3-way-SLI setup in my sig is bottlenecked by my i7 4820K (4.6 GHz) and i7 4960X (4.4 GHz) all the time, even on high altitude the GPUs don't run on 100%.

Zettman

Edited by Zettman

Actually I don't think any of my Nvidia CP settings are functioning. For example if I set a Vsync through CP it has no effect in game, I can see my frame rate go above 60 with it on.

I checked Nvidia CP with RoF as well and at least the Vsync setting doesn't function, it's hard to tell if any of the other settings work, Vsync is the easiest to check.

It does work with DCS though.

Good to know. Thanks. I'm planning to get a 4K monitor actually and I'm wondering if even these two GPUs will be enough.

My experience is that I only get the lower frame rates deliberately flying in the furrball of this mission. I'm trying to get the fps as low as possible. Away from so many aircraft the FPS shoots up very high. That's why I figured it is the CPU.

I have a 4k and my one 980 is almost enough. I would need 2 if I turned on AA. At ultra with no AA I get 40 on ground and 60+ in air. You don't really need AA at 4K. Kinda surprised you didn't get more frames since I get nearly the same with a single GPU. Guess this title isn't well optimised for SLI. 

Edited by driftaholic

I have a 4k and my one 980 is almost enough. I would need 2 if I turned on AA. At ultra with no AA I get 40 on ground and 60+ in air. You don't really need AA at 4K. Kinda surprised you didn't get more frames since I get nearly the same with a single GPU. Guess this title isn't well optimised for SLI.

The frame rate in my test is the worst I can make it in a big fur ball. In normal gameplay it's very high unless I cap it with Vsync.
  • Upvote 1

When you get your 4K don't get a Acer B286HK. I got one for VERY cheap but it has enough ghosting to make me wish I spent another $150 more on a Asus or Samsung which are also 10 bit(8+frc) vs the Acer's 8 bit color.. I thinking about Acer's XB280HK with G-Sync but now I'm worried it's the same panel and will still ghost. CES2015 had some good news for 4K it might be worth waiting till Q2 or later to buy one. 

Edited by driftaholic