Sign in to follow this  
325TH_SPEKTRE76

RLM Color Chart Merrick (2004)

I thought this would be a good reference image. I am switching from Ullman to this standard.

RLM%20chart.png

• Upvote 2

I think that is a good idea for people to use, particularly for the Yellows RLM 04 and RLM 27

A lot of skins in original IL-2 and a few in BoS use a too lemon tone on the Tactical/Theatre markings on the Nose and wingtips/fuselage bands (IMHO)

I understand paint colours on the Eastern front was not an exact science as supplies were varied and there is even some conflicting reports as to whether RLM04 or RLM27 were used on which markings, but some other colour charts really do give RLM04 as a very lemon yellow tint, from books and historic A/C this does seem to be overdone (lemon tone)

I am sure there are skinners modellers and historians with much better knowledge than I, and it may be my monitor settings are off :)

Thanks for putting up the chart

Cheers Dakpilot

Thx for sharing. IT's quite easy to get confused about the colours when working wiht an unfamiliar refference and the detailed descriptions in this chart are pretty helpfull. :salute:

Regardign colour accirancy I surely use the original colours but giving it an artistic touch depending on the skin and how it matches each other. Otherwise my planes would look like plastic toys.

Hi, no it's not the official table, but in the community of modelers are  " AKAN "colors highly acclaimed

Ruskbarvy.jpg?ver=0

I understand paint colours on the Eastern front was not an exact science [...]

Actually there is no real evidence on how the colors looked exactly as the most of the colors were analyzed from b & w images.

Here is another source for RLM to RGB conversions:

http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/page-RGB-colors-Germany.html

Edited by golani79

Actually there is no real evidence on how the colors looked exactly as the most of the colors were analyzed from b & w images.

Here is another source for RLM to RGB conversions:

http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/page-RGB-colors-Germany.html

Sure there's real evidence, from surviving aircraft, aircraft parts, or even from archive factory documents.

The problem is that aircraft were built in different factories, by different companies and not all colors matched from factory to factory and even aircraft coming off the same production line at different points in the war had small variations in colors.

Here's a good read about some of the "authentic RLM colors":

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/luftwaffe/colors.html

Sure there's real evidence, from surviving aircraft, aircraft parts, or even from archive factory documents.

I didn´t mean that there is absolutely no evidence at all - maybe I should have phrased it in another way.

Yes, there are surviving aircrafts and documents etc. but how many planes were painted / repainted at the front with whatever they had and of many aircrafts there only exist b & w pictures.

In my opinion the standard of surviving aircrafts and documents can´t be applied to every plane as these are the colors like they should have looked like under production circumstances.

Your link isnt working.

I didn´t mean that there is absolutely no evidence at all - maybe I should have phrased it in another way.

Yes, there are surviving aircrafts and documents etc. but how many planes were painted / repainted at the front with whatever they had and of many aircrafts there only exist b & w pictures.

In my opinion the standard of surviving aircrafts and documents can´t be applied to every plane as these are the colors like they should have looked like under production circumstances.

Your link isnt working.

strange, working here. try this:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/luftwaffe/colors.html