Leaf

Help needed with alpha channels in Photoshop

I've been trying to figure this out for ages now, to no avail. I know roughly what the alpha channel does, but I don't know how to apply it to a skin or get it to work. I've tried pretty much everything and I still get the same, matt, result. 

If anyone could tell/show me how on earth to make the alpha channel work on a skin I'd really appreciate it!

I've tried pretty much everything and I still get the same, matt, result. 

The alpha channel is for transparencies - you are talking about matt results.

What do you want to achieve? Glossy / specular surfaces? Then you´d need a specular map which, roughly said, is a greyscale image where white would be the glossiest and black the most matt.

The alpha channel is for transparencies - you are talking about matt results.

What do you want to achieve? Glossy / specular surfaces? Then you´d need a specular map which, roughly said, is a greyscale image where white would be the glossiest and black the most matt.

On the other thread I was told that reflectivity of a surface depends on the alpha channel. Considering I want a somewhat glossy surface, how do I work a specular map? What should I do with it?

Just tried it out - seems like DXT 5 is using the alpha a bit different respectively you can use the alpha for specular map too.

You would need to create a greyscale image which would also be your alpha channel.

White surfaces are matt and black surfaces are transparent.

I created a little example - maybe this helps you out:

bpZEWBK.png

Edited by golani79
  • Upvote 1

You dont have to create them form scratch. The ingame alpha channel is already included in the template (deactivated for skinning purpose).

Don't have photoshop but you should be able to create a layer mask (Ebenenmaske) for your final skin and set "Chose from alpha channel" (,,Auswahl aus Alphakanal"). After pressing OK you'll notice your skin turned halfway transparent, which basilcy is the way to tell the game which areas are to be displayed glossy ingame.

White parts on alpha channel = Matt

Black = Invisible

Anything in between = different shades of gloss

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

Yeah, I can't get to the transparent stage. 
I go on "layers", "apply from transparency", at which point there's a new channel above the alpha channel which just reads "[name of layer] mask".

If I make all channels visible, all I get is a red film over the skin, of varying opacity. The skin itself remains unchanged, however. It never turns transparent.

Basically I can't get the alpha channel to affect the mask in any way.

Edited by 19te.Leaf

The 'red film' shows up because you have the alpha layer still turned on (little eyeball in a check box).

Technically the alpha channel is the mask for the transparency - so if you have an alpha channel in your file with different grey scales this should control the different shades of glossiness.

The 'red film' shows up because you have the alpha layer still turned on (little eyeball in a check box).

Isn't that the idea? To turn it on, apply it to the skin layer and save it that way?

Technically the alpha channel is the mask for the transparency - so if you have an alpha channel in your file with different grey scales this should control the different shades of glossiness.

OK, so what do I do with it?

I can't seem to apply the alpha channel to my skin layer; if one of you could clarify, step by step, how it's done I'd really appreciate it.

you don't have to apply anything yourself.

when you save as DDS, the alpha channel is included in the DDS file, and the game will apply the paint and the alpha channel all by itself - which is pretty cool :)

you don't have to apply anything yourself.

when you save as DDS, the alpha channel is included in the DDS file, and the game will apply the paint and the alpha channel all by itself - which is pretty cool :)

Not for me it doesn't. Same matt result all day.

Yeah, I can't get to the transparent stage. 

I go on "layers", "apply from transparency", at which point there's a new channel above the alpha channel which just reads "[name of layer] mask".

If I make all channels visible, all I get is a red film over the skin, of varying opacity. The skin itself remains unchanged, however. It never turns transparent.

That post has me confudsed - i never do that in CS5

well i found the above values (50%grey=gloss) (white=matte) to be wrong on the LaGG. I get Matte when i paint dark grey, the darker the matter.

Can you post a Picture of your alpha layer?

I am confused, i really am. I feel i do not understand what you want.

you want a shiney 109.

so let's make a shiney Alpha layer.

from scratch.

For idiots like me.

according to the info above, 50% grey is shiney. (for the 109?!)

okay, let's accept that as a fact, because golani tested it and i have faith he knows what he is talking about.

so.

anything that is supposed to be shiney, is supposed to be 50% grey.

=========================================

advanced layers: On

Airplane parts: On.

"paint in here"  - make a duplicate of the "dark grey" and call that new layer "shiney"

Capture.png

use the Bucket tool (G)  to fill all Shiney parts with 50% Grey (on the color swatches) on the shiney layer

Capture.png

just quick and easy - its only the reflections...

paint everything with the bucket. bam bam bam bam... upper wing lower wing, fuselage, everything gets bucket-bombed.

Edited by Yakdriver

okay.
next i save that and call it alpha.psd, i save it as a Photoshop template.

after the save, i go to image/mode and tell photoshop to put everything in greycale.
asks me if i wanna merge the layers, i tell it "hell no!"

save again.

next

save as - shineyalpha.bmp (bitmap)

asks me what bit rate? 8 bits is enough for greyscale...

shineyalpha.jpg

Now i have exported the shiney alpha
====================================

Importing the shiney Alpha:

open the shineyalpha bmp.

-control A to select all

-control C to copy

back to the colored template, the one with the yellow nose and all.

paint as desired, weathering and all.
when finished, and you want to apply the shiney/gloss colors

go to channels tab

select to work on the alpha1 channel.

- control V to paste the alpha that you had in memory

(it changes... right?!)

select to see only the RGB channels

save as DDS and presto?

Nope...
WTF. this is new...

Capture.png

Must be some Fodoshop thing. With the LaGG i get it to work...
Okay screw this.

Save the Whole thing as a 32 bit Bitmap
that is the regular Bitmap plus the alpha channel

let's try an alternate route. http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

open DXTbmp, and open the paintjob you just saved.

see, the alpha channel we created earlier on is still there.

Capture.png

save as DDS DXT5...

put in right folder...

test in Viewer...
shine is the same all over, no matter what the color is. so yes, the shine is effectively the one we imported.

Capture.png

ingame screens... looks pretty glossy to me... the fuselage's colors are bounced off the wing root, same with the tail and the horizontal stabilizer.

do you get the same results?

glossy.jpg

You know, sometimes I'm thankfull for using gim p instead of Photoshop...you really think too complicated.

At least with Gimp there's no issue in opening, editing, saving and applying the alpha channel via the channel menu. Don't knwo if Photoshop isn't as easy / intuitively to use in this regard. :huh:

Indeed 75 % white level grey is the "glossiest" I could acchieve. The max. must be between white and 50% or between black and 50%.

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

You don´t need 32bit for an alpha channel and if you already have it in your photoshop file there is no need to copy the stuff around.

GjspkpU.jpg

But somehow it feels a bit weird in BoS - in DCS it just works as intended.

Black = matt and white = glossy

I also think that there are some settings (reflection) in the shader which depend on the angle at which the camera is looking onto the surface normals.

Same wing - different angles. Pay attention to the changing reflection although the wing appears to be matt in the first image:

A0Gnshd.png

yep... on the first shot there is nothing to reflect.
maybe there is a cloud that could be reflected, or a plane close by, at the right angle and an appropriate distance.

but i doubt that is possible or necessary :D

graphic overkill heheh

why i chose 32 bit Bitmap after the "save as DDS" failed (i know, the alpha is already in the template, but he wanted a shiney one, so we need to make a new one.?)

if i chose 24bit the alpha is black or white in dxtbmp, as there is no alpha information attached to the file

so i chose 24bit for the colors, +8 bit for the alpha, all in one file.

i could also have exported the paint in 24 bit and then merge the 24bit paint.bmp and the 8bit alpha.bmp in DXTBMP; same thing.

--- many streets lead to Rome.

personally... each of my skins gets its own very specific, unique Alpha Channel.

Yeah - I'm getting very confused by the posts about doing all these gyrations to create or copy alpha channels.  At least in my copy of PhotoShop and the BoS templates, the alpha channel is already there just fine and doesn't need to be created or copied at all to work.  Unless you're trying to do something really fancy with a number of different/alternate alpha channels or something, it really very simple and you shouldn't need to be doing all this fancy copy/creation stuff.

For example, in the IL-2 template (only one I've worked with so far), it's just like it is in RoF:

1.  Open up the IL-2 template in PhotoShop - it should look something like this:

BoSalphachannel1.jpg

2. Click on the "Channels" tab indicated by the red "1" above, and it should look like the following:

BoSalphachannel2.jpg

3. Click on the Alpha channel as noted by the red "2" above, and it should look like the following (when I do this with my version of PhotoShop, it automatically de-selects the first four channels when I click on the Alpha Channel bar (not on the "eye" - on the bar with the text) - in other versions it may be necessary to turn off the other 4 channels manually):

BoSalphachannel3.jpg

4.  The gray-scale image you see above is the alpha channel you need to play with - just make the parts you want to change either lighter or darker, to achieve the effect you're trying to accomplish.  Once you're finished, just click on the first channel where indicated by the red "3" above (on the text part, not the "eye" box), and it should turn off/hide the alpha channel again and look like the following:

BoSalphachannel4.jpg

5.  Next, click on the "Layers" tab where indicated by the red "4" above, and that should return you to the main/opening part of the template, as shown below:

BoSalphachannel5.jpg

Now, just save the skin file down as a .dds file per the usual procedures and you should be fine.

Of course, you should be doing your work on a copy of the template, so you always have the standard, unaltered version of the template to go back to in case you make a mistake you can't fix with the undo command.  If you mess up the alpha channel making your changes to it, you can always open up the backup copy of the template, follow the exact same steps as above to get to the alpha channel, select and copy the entire gray-scale image from that version and paste it down on top of the one you messed up, which will return your working copy to the default/normal alpha channel so you can start trying your changes again.

As Yakdriver noted above, if you're trying to make specific, different alpha channels for several different skins of the same plane type and you want to do all those versions of skins in the same .psd file, you can make several copies of the alpha channel (like I suggested doing with one copy above to revert to normal after a screw-up) and paste them in as new "layers" in the main part of the PhotoShop window, play with them separately there and then copy/paste them back into the "real" alpha channel location every time you want to save down one of those separate, multiple skins (after hiding/unticking all those alpha layers first, of course) - but, that is really overkill and unnecessary if all you're trying to do is tweak the alpha channel for one skin/plane type.

Hope that helps.

well...
you give me an idea.

if i want specific alphas corresponding to specific metal chippings presets, i can group them together on the layers side, (chipping presets+the alphas)
and only apply the alpha that has already been made specifically for that preset.

but then i would need to work with a handful of preset alphas and discard the idea of the individual alpha.

phew...
this gets messy fast.

well...

you give me an idea.

if i want specific alphas corresponding to specific metal chippings presets, i can group them together on the layers side, (chipping presets+the alphas)

and only apply the alpha that has already been made specifically for that preset.

but then i would need to work with a handful of preset alphas and discard the idea of the individual alpha.

phew...

this gets messy fast.

Yeah - I've used the group of alternate alphas, stored conveniently as multiple layers, when I've done a number of squadron default skins for RoF in the same .psd file (or a number of Nieuport 17 and N17B skins for several units in the same .psd file), and it works quite well (and is sometimes easier to manage than having so many different .psd files that are basically the same except for some minor differences).  

Learning how to use groups of layers to organize my work in PhotoShop was quite a breakthrough for me when I had that particular epiphany (which unfortunately was a lot later in coming than it should have been, if I'd taken the time to think about it instead of just plowing along like I always had before).

But for those just trying to make some simple tweaks to a single skin per plane type, it's probably easier just to work directly on the "real" alpha channel and avoid all those extra complications (just as long as they keep a back-up copy of the unaltered templates, just to be safe, as noted above.

yep... on the first shot there is nothing to reflect.

maybe there is a cloud that could be reflected, or a plane close by, at the right angle and an appropriate distance.

Game was on pause while I took the screenshots - with further circling around the surface of the wing became totally reflective which shows by the reflection of the plane itself on the wing.

My point is that even if you have a totally matt alpha this happens. So it seems we can´t get rid off the reflectiveness completely depending on the camera angle - and in some cirumstances this might look like it was glossy and the alpha wasn´t working correctly.

Game was on pause while I took the screenshots - with further circling around the surface of the wing became totally reflective which shows by the reflection of the plane itself on the wing.

My point is that even if you have a totally matt alpha this happens. So it seems we can´t get rid off the reflectiveness completely depending on the camera angle - and in some cirumstances this might look like it was glossy and the alpha wasn´t working correctly.

Yeah - something weird and un-RoF-like is happening with these BoS skins.  None of my RoF-based techniques for tweaking the alpha channel are working as expected.  On my IL-2 skins I can get it to where it looks pretty good when the sun hits it (somewhat matted but with what seems like a reasonable amount of shine/reflection), but there's still a high degree of gloss/mirror-like reflection present in shaded areas when viewed from other angles, and no matter what I do to my Stuka skins I haven't been able yet to get rid of an extreme amount of gloss that makes them look very fake-plasticky.

I hope the devs will release a readme file/manual or something that will explain how the alpha channel works differently in BoS than it does in RoF, 'cause right now I'm kinda stuck in this regard.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

some really useful stuff

Thanks to all the responses!

Very clear instructions there! I'm starting to think that it must be something to do with either my version of Photoshop (CS6) or the plugin I'm using. Because I did exactly what you did Panthercules and I get the same matt result. Which plugins are you using and which version of PS?

Jaws, i suspect that the materials used in the models themselves are different... and therefor the result is different too.

?

Thanks to all the responses!

Very clear instructions there! I'm starting to think that it must be something to do with either my version of Photoshop (CS6) or the plugin I'm using. Because I did exactly what you did Panthercules and I get the same matt result. Which plugins are you using and which version of PS?

Jaws, i suspect that the materials used in the models themselves are different... and therefor the result is different too.

?

I'm using an old version - PhotoShop CS4 - with the nVidia .dds plug-in version 8.23.1101.1715.

Actually, the more I play around with these BoS skins the more I think the alpha channel probably is working essentially the same in BoS as in RoF - I think I was probably making too radical changes in my tests because of an oddity in the BoS viewer that seems to make the skins look a lot shinier in the viewer than they will look in game.  

First, trying to get some matte effect I ran a test using my highly-dulled version (much lighter/whiter than stock alpha channel) while the game was paused on a test in QMB, viewed at an angle showing the maximum reflection from the sun:

BoSalphachanneloddity1.jpg

As you can see, it's fairly matte but still has a bit of shine to it (actually, I went a bit further toward matte than I would normally have done, but I was just trying to test the limits).

But when viewed from another. shallower angle (again, while still paused in the same position), the skin displays a polished, mirror-like finish (see especially the reflections in the wing and the tail surfaces):

BoSalphachanneloddity2.jpg

While I never played around with it much at these very light/white levels, IIRC with the RoF alphas these high-white ranges were supposed to have something to do with polish/reflectivity.  But it only seems to happen at low viewing angles - otherwise, the sun would have been blinding off the wings in that first screenshot above. Not sure why that is.

Then I ran a test using the same skin with the standard (unaltered) alpha channel):

BoSalphachanneloddity4.jpg

BoSalphachanneloddity3.jpg

With the stock alpha, it's a bit shinier in general than I would like, but not too bad, and there's much less of the polished, mirror-like effect on the wings and tail surfaces.

Finally, I ran another test using a just slightly darker-than-stock alpha channel (more like I would try using in RoF) - the results are shown in the following screenshots:

BoSalphachanneloddity6.jpg

BoSalphachanneloddity5.jpg

Still perhaps a bit shinier than I would like, but very little of the polished mirror effect that was bothering me with the earlier tests.

I've got to do some more tests tomorrow to see why I haven't yet been able to reproduce the subtle differences in shine/sheen/reflection with these BoS skins that I have with the RoF skins, but at least things seem to be moving in the right direction.

I'm using an old version - PhotoShop CS4 - with the nVidia .dds plug-in version 8.23.1101.1715.

Actually, the more I play around with these BoS skins the more I think the alpha channel probably is working essentially the same in BoS as in RoF .

There's one thing I wasn't able to do in BOS. Get the polished metal look you can easily get in ROF. As you can see above, a completely shiny ROF skin dropped in BOS will look completely different.

This is as shiny and close to bare metal look as I could get it:

vwvg8oku.jpg

I've used a 75% white level grey for the alpha channel as base to create this shine. It's the most intense I could get so far.

Edit: Before sby asks, sry, no Download. This Skin is privat :cool: .

After some more tests with a completely grey texture I think I've finally got the logic behind the alpha channel system.

0% white level grery / black -> transparent

1 - 49% white level grey tones -> more bright shine than gloss ( 49 % > 1%)

51 to 99%  white level grey tones -> moer glossy reflectioning than bright shine (51% > 99%)

50% white level grey -> ultimate compromise with same shine level as gloss

I tired every tone of grey with 10% increasing white level and haven't found anything that could resemble bare metal properly. The closest you can get is probably by using a 50-60% whie level grey tone as base for your alpha channel.

Sry for no pics but it's difficult to show the effect without having a rotating object.

After some more tests with a completely grey texture I think I've finally got the logic behind the alpha channel system.

0% white level grery / black -> transparent

1 - 49% white level grey tones -> more bright shine than gloss ( 49 % > 1%)

51 to 99%  white level grey tones -> moer glossy reflectioning than bright shine (51% > 99%)

50% white level grey -> ultimate compromise with same shine level as gloss

I tired every tone of grey with 10% increasing white level and haven't found anything that could resemble bare metal properly. The closest you can get is probably by using a 50-60% whie level grey tone as base for your alpha channel.

Sry for no pics but it's difficult to show the effect without having a rotating object.

So, how does that compare to the following description from the "manual" the devs provided for the RoF skinning process, as noted below?  (copy attached for further reference, as it has some interesting illustrations)

2. Alpha-channel usage

As the Gloss and Reflection material characteristics use the same texture as a source and share the same alpha channel (the alpha channel is used simultaneously both for the reflection and the gloss), the following thresholds in the RGB alpha channel was applied for effects switching:

• 0-26 - Drawing holes in the surface. Regardless of the alpha channel value (in this range), a hole is drawn:

• 27-51 - diffuse texture colored surface, which has no reflection, no highlights. In this alpha-channel value range texture is slightly lightened:

• 52-102 - values that manage higlight amount (from minimum to maximum). Surface has only highlight and does not have any reflection:

• 103 – 152 - the values that manage the transition from gloss to reflex surface properties (gloss is fading from maximal to minimal values and the reflex is simultaneously increasing from minimal to maximal value - chrome surface). The surface has a highlight and reflection at the same time:

• 153 – 203 – the values that manage reflex level (from maximal to minimal . Surface has reflection attribute only:

• 204 - 228 - diffuse texture colored surface, which has no reflection, no highlights. In this alpha-channel value range texture is slightly obscured:

• 229 - 253 - drawing holes in the surface. Regardless of the alpha channel value (in this range), a hole is drawn

• 254 – 255 – system reserved values, not used in texture design

ROF_Custom_Skin_Creation_User_Manual_eng.pdf

Hmmm - well, I ran some more tests trying to replicate with my BoS skins some of the more subtle variations in shine/sheen/reflection that I've been able to do with my RoF skins.  For some reason, I have been totally unsuccessful in these attempts.  Differences in shading that would have been quite noticeable in RoF are completely indistinguishable in BoS, both in the viewer and in the game, at least for me.

Thus, while there still seems to be some sort of rough correlation between the two approaches (RoF and BoS) as noted above (e.g., using high white numbers does seem to produce some level of polished/mirror effect, and pure black does make things "invisible"), there definitely seems to be something different occurring with BoS compared to RoF.  Don't know what it is, but I hope the devs will provide some sort of explanation when they get a chance.

If I hadn't accidentally made some of my tires disappear in game because of a shading oversight, I would be tempted to conclude that the game just wasn't using the user-tweaked alpha channel at all (as some other poster asserted), but it's clear that the game is using the alpha channels I'm tweaking - it just isn't reacting to the tweaks the way that RoF does.

I've got enough work to do creating my desired winter camo schemes to keep me busy for a while without worrying about the alpha channels, but I hope we can get some clarity on this point sometime soon.

I've found the solution!

When I was saving my file as a .dds there was a little DDS-related pop-up asking me how I wanted it saved. I was always saving it under the "no alpha channel", turns out I needed to save it as "alpha interlaced" to get it to work. 

Many thanks to all of your help!

So, how does that compare to the following description from the "manual" the devs provided for the RoF skinning process, as noted below?  (copy attached for further reference, as it has some interesting illustrations)

2. Alpha-channel usage

As the Gloss and Reflection material characteristics use the same texture as a source and share the same alpha channel (the alpha channel is used simultaneously both for the reflection and the gloss), the following thresholds in the RGB alpha channel was applied for effects switching:

• 0-26 - Drawing holes in the surface. Regardless of the alpha channel value (in this range), a hole is drawn:

• 27-51 - diffuse texture colored surface, which has no reflection, no highlights. In this alpha-channel value range texture is slightly lightened:

• 52-102 - values that manage higlight amount (from minimum to maximum). Surface has only highlight and does not have any reflection:

• 103 – 152 - the values that manage the transition from gloss to reflex surface properties (gloss is fading from maximal to minimal values and the reflex is simultaneously increasing from minimal to maximal value - chrome surface). The surface has a highlight and reflection at the same time:

• 153 – 203 – the values that manage reflex level (from maximal to minimal . Surface has reflection attribute only:

• 204 - 228 - diffuse texture colored surface, which has no reflection, no highlights. In this alpha-channel value range texture is slightly obscured:

• 229 - 253 - drawing holes in the surface. Regardless of the alpha channel value (in this range), a hole is drawn

• 254 – 255 – system reserved values, not used in texture design

Sry, I have absolutely no clue what those values are about :blink: The overall impression however is that it is completely different form RoF judging by the tests I conducted and the screens I#ve seen from RoF reflection shader modeling.

Sry, I have absolutely no clue what those values are about :blink:

Those values are the RGB values of the gray shades used on the alpha channel.  For example, as noted below, an RGB value of 50 is significantly darker than an RGB value of 150, and it represents the shade of gray used to color in any particular area of the alpha channel.

BoS-RoFalphachannelRGB50.jpg

BoS-RoFalphachannelRGB150.jpg

I'm used to expressing the lightness/darkness of these shades in RGB values since that's the way they referred to it in the RoF skinning process - I'm not familiar with the "1 - 49% white level grey tones" terminology so I don;t know how they equate or relate to each other.

I've found the solution!

When I was saving my file as a .dds there was a little DDS-related pop-up asking me how I wanted it saved. I was always saving it under the "no alpha channel", turns out I needed to save it as "alpha interlaced" to get it to work. 

Many thanks to all of your help!

Yep - the setting you want/need is indicated in the screenshot below (assuming it's like it is in RoF):

BoS-ddssavingsettings.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ah I see, gimp doesn't display the RGB value for brightness the way Photoshop does.

79xibnsj.jpg

It seems that in your screenshot B:[59]% is what I referred to.

Ah I see, gimp doesn't display the RGB value for brightness the way Photoshop does.

79xibnsj.jpg

It seems that in your screenshot B:[59]% is what I referred to.

I've never used GIMP so I can't say - is your screenshot above from GIMP?

If so, it looks like GIMP is displaying it the same way (in this case, an RGB value of 127):

BoS-GIMPalphachannelRGB127.jpg

"Brightness" may not be the best choice of words, as it may have its own meaning and technically may be somewhat different from what I was trying to convey (although from a layman's perspective it's probably the same concept, i.e., how dark or light the gray shade is that you're using on the alpha channel).  

I ran some more tests and if I look very close I can notice some difference between different shadings on various parts of the skin, similar though not as pronounced as what I'm seeing with my RoF skins.  At the relatively larger speeds and distances at which these skins will be observed in BoS compared to RoF, I suspect that as a practical matter none of these relatively subtle differences will be noticeable during game play, so this may just be something that only matters for close-up screenshots or squads that are into crazy close formation flying.