Bearcat

*** PLEASE NOTE *** SKINS POSTING UPDATE..

Since the skin viewer and templates have been released it looks like in a few weeks we might have a real convoluted mess on our hands as far as skins being all over the place. I am not sure what the team is going to do but in the mean time I have taken the liberty of opening up threads for each aircraft in the sim all in one place set aside already for such a purpose. Look here:

Pilot's Art>Coustom Skins page

I have pinned each thread to the top of the board so if you make a skin that you intend to post for public use please post it in the appropriate thread. That way people will not have to wade through multiple threads looking for skins for specific aircraft. I have seen some real beauties that have already been made and I can't wait to see what comes in a few months. I know that there are already a few folks working on an IL-2 skins kind of thing for BoS  but in the meantime just post them there so that however this all shakes out it will be much easier to round them all up.

Remember.. only post skins on that page that you are making for public use so that means that each skin posted should have a download link to it.

Also please try to keep comments to a minimum. Remember you can still post pictures of your skins on both pages.. but the one linked above is the downloads page and it will continue to be pruned of comments just to keep it as streamlined as possible.

There are several sites that offer limited free space to host files like this and they also have a paid upgrade option.

I use Box.com there is another site called 4 shared.com and also Media Fire.

Continue to show off other skins not intended for distribution or if you just want to get feed back on a skin before you post it to the download page  here in this thread.

• Upvote 2

I think someone should contact http://www.tradingpaints.com/tour

This program works great, simple and easy. Once there's a lot of members in here there will be huge numbers of pages with downloads and it will take forever to dl them all, pita. This program lets you have access to the skins when you're online in the game. When you leave the game the skins don't stay on your hard drive unless you want them to stay. Saves a ton of space and you don't have to go downloading new skins all the time. If it works at Iracing it should work here.

• Upvote 1

Keeping the skins in General Discussion was a good way of keeping them visible and generating some excitement for the product. If they must go into the sub forum I'll try to do so in future.

If possible could you just copy them there? You can keep posting the pics on the GD .. I just thought it would be better to have it so that it was easier to find them and the general board is pretty well stickied as it is..

Rich - if you have the latest update, just drop the file as is into the newly created file for that plane. I forget the main folder name and am away from my PC now. No need to extract or open anything.

Thank you guys I didn't know that this update was so recent. My bad. Hans-Ekkehard Bob shows up nice in the hangar but is taking a long time and hasn't come up yet in flight is that normal?

Edited by II./JG27_Rich

On the skin selection option, there's now a new choice - something like Official and Custom.

I've inly tried it in a QMB so don't know if it works in the campaign. I imagine it would. Think they don't show up in the official online servers.

Yes that's what I'm doing it in. Like I said. I select it and accept it and it's on in the Hangar but in the game it doesn't shiow up

Since the skin viewer and templates have been released it looks like in a few weeks we might have a real convoluted mess on our hands as far as skins being all over the place. I am not sure what the team is going to do but in the mean time I have taken the liberty of opening up threads for each aircraft in the sim all in one place set aside already for such a purpose. Look here:

Pilot's Art>Coustom Skins page

I have pinned each thread to the top of the board so if you make a skin that you intend to post for public use please post it in the appropriate thread. That way people will not have to wade through multiple threads looking for skins for specific aircraft. I have seen some real beauties that have already been made and I can't wait to see what comes in a few months. I know that there are already a few folks working on an IL-2 skins kind of thing for BoS  but in the meantime just post them there so that however this all shakes out it will be much easier to round them all up.

Remember.. only post skins on that page that you are making for public use so that means that each skin posted should have a download link to it.

Also please try to keep comments to a minimum. Remember you can still post pictures of your skins on both pages.. but the one linked above is the downloads page and it will continue to be pruned of comments just to keep it as streamlined as possible.

There are several sites that offer limited free space to host files like this and they also have a paid upgrade option.

I use Box.com there is another site called 4 shared.com and also Media Fire.

Continue to show off other skins not intended for distribution or if you just want to get feed back on a skin before you post it to the download page  here in this thread.

May i suggest a section for squadron skinsets?

Really good idea btw!

Perfect would have been inf this would have just went as in ROF wiuth approoval of skinpacks.

May i suggest a section for squadron skinsets?

Really good idea btw!

Perfect would have been inf this would have just went as in ROF wiuth approoval of skinpacks.

Possibly... we will see how this all shakes out. I just wanted to set something up before too many skins got out there all over the place. No one wants to go wading through a 20+ page thread to find one skin. 

I am glad that this system is not like the one in RoF.

Yes that's what I'm doing it in. Like I said. I select it and accept it and it's on in the Hangar but in the game it doesn't show up

You see what happens in short vid.

http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/IIJG27Rich/media/Produce_22_zpsxvlwv3kv.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

The same here for this particular skin.

Other 109 skin "Yelow nose" from Parisek appears OK also in game...

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/13623-post-kick-ass-skins-here/page-3?do=findComment&comment=215754

Edited by ST_ami7b5

Also nice Litvak's skin from Feathered looks strange both in hangar and in game...

:unsure:

Il_2_2014_12_27_16_26_16_06.png

Bear's Yak shows nicely:

Il_2_2014_12_27_16_35_32_57.png

Edited by ST_ami7b5

Also nice Litvak's skin from Feathered looks strange both in hangar and in game...

:unsure:

Il_2_2014_12_27_16_26_16_06.png

Do you realize you put a Yak skin on the Lagg? :P

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Upvote 2

Also make sure you put the 109 skins in their correct folder, the skin for G2 may not work right on the F4

In skin viewer and also in hangar it shows OK, but in game it seems to be 'replaced' by a default(?) skin...

Hangar:

Il_2_2014_12_27_17_40_01_87.png

In game:

Il_2_2014_12_27_17_31_57_87.png

Edited by Zak
any screen with swastika must be under spoiler tag

Long name for sure :)

Two lines?

Bingo!

Il_2_2014_12_27_18_06_13_61.png

just renamed it to:

Gelbe 9 of 9 Staffel JG54 1942.dds

Edited by Zak
any screen with swastika must go under spoiler tag

most likely too long name.  I just renamed it to "Gelbe 9  JG54" and it works. It would be a good idea to also remove the spaces. Maybe call it  "Gelbe9 _JG54". but that should be done by the skinner and updated in the post, so everyone has the same name, otherwise you won't see it online on other planes.

Edited by Jaws2002

Hmmm that is odd. A naming issue perhaps?

GJ Bear!

most likely too long name.  I just renamed it to "Gelbe 9  JG54" and it works. It would be a good idea to also remove the spaces. Maybe call it  "Gelbe9 _JG54". but that should be done by the skinner and updated in the post, so everyone has the same name, otherwise you won't see it online on other planes.

Yes, some standards would be nice!

And also the idea of ONE place for skins, categorised by plane types as Bear suggested, is a must as we can see...

Edited by ST_ami7b5

Well, I'm starting to get the hang of Photoshop, sorta...  Lot's of stuff there I'll never use for sure.

Anyway, I'm working on winter skins for the Pigs and Pubbers...

As always, my personal number 23..

yV2MLn.jpg

• Upvote 1

The same here for this particular skin.

Other 109 skin "Yelow nose" from Parisek appears OK also in game...

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/13623-post-kick-ass-skins-here/page-3?do=findComment&comment=215754

Yes I'm having no problem with the others...Shame. This one is awesome.  :unsure:...........OH... I just saw the rename post and came back to edit this..I'll try it :)

Edited by II./JG27_Rich

For those who like to share their skins: Would it be possible to include a non-swastika skin for those who like to fly without this?

I understand but Bearcat, when he opened the post, proposed to collect them and make all in one packages.

The way skins are handled at the moment is, how should I phrase it, a provisional.

Well in a way Myata you have answered your own question in a way.

Skins in BoS are indeed provisional.

You can't use them in the campaign, or on official servers, and they are not transferred over the net to other players.

Only you can see your own skin online in a non-official server, and offline you can only use them in single missions.

I've stopped making and collecting them, because as of now, they serve no purpose in the game.

Until the developers either change the way they are handled in the game, that is skin transfer over the net, or, they start publishing official skin packs, user made skins serve no purpose in BoS.

• Upvote 2

well at least they can take ours and compile them into skin packs - "that" is a purpose, is it not.
the skinners are, in a way, preparing the skin packs.

"for that particular server..."
?

i do not understand that - i could use these skins on another server, and who would update my skins for me if the pack is updated?