Sign in to follow this  
[NASA]il_Balordo

iPad Cockpits App !

A good idea? Possibly. Where are you proposing to get the data from?

A good idea? Possibly. Where are you proposing to get the data from?

As I had writing... from wifi or usb.

There are some apps for other sims out now.

I guess if you don't have head tracking gear maybe this would be helpful, but while it seems like a neat idea from a techno-geek perspective I'm not really seeing the value of having to look away from your monitor to look at your gauges on an iPad compared to just looking down into your cockpit and seeing the gauges on your monitor screen like you can with TIR or one of the alternative head tracking methods.  Also, the scale seems to be all wrong - since my iPad is about half the size/width of my monitor screen, it seems like either I'd only be able to see about half my gauges at a time, or else all the gauges would have to be a lot smaller than normal scale to fit on the iPad.

I love having my BoS map on my iPad because it simulates a knee-pad map pretty well and I'd have to be looking away from my monitor/cockpit view to read the map on my knee anyway, but I'm not seeing much value in putting the cockpit gauges on an iPad.  

I guess if you don't have head tracking gear maybe this would be helpful, but while it seems like a neat idea from a techno-geek perspective I'm not really seeing the value of having to look away from your monitor to look at your gauges on an iPad compared to just looking down into your cockpit and seeing the gauges on your monitor screen like you can with TIR or one of the alternative head tracking methods.  Also, the scale seems to be all wrong - since my iPad is about half the size/width of my monitor screen, it seems like either I'd only be able to see about half my gauges at a time, or else all the gauges would have to be a lot smaller than normal scale to fit on the iPad.

I love having my BoS map on my iPad because it simulates a knee-pad map pretty well and I'd have to be looking away from my monitor/cockpit view to read the map on my knee anyway, but I'm not seeing much value in putting the cockpit gauges on an iPad.  

So, why the best and expensive flight simulation seats use Helios software to have cockpit on a separate monitor?

Simply, because cockpit is much more readable compared to track-ir view.... and you can use touch screen too.

https://www.google.it/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=helios%20cockpit

Edited by [ITA]il_Pupo

I think X-plane already does this,

Really? I'm just crossing the atlantic in x-plane baron. I have x-plane on one monitor and skyvector on another. I'd love to have one monitor for cockpit and another for view above the cockpit. The only sim I can do it is FSX. Would be great for BOS etc. Does anybody have that setting?

post-23845-0-94372400-1417904386_thumb.jpg

Edited by indiaciki

There are some apps for other sims out now.

Because this other sims export data for cockpits instruments. Need solve this first.

Edited by Sokol1

Yup. Without some means to extract the necessary data from BoS, there is nothing to build an application around.

So, why the best and expensive flight simulation seats use Helios software to have cockpit on a separate monitor?

Simply, because cockpit is much more readable compared to track-ir view.... and you can use touch screen too.

https://www.google.it/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=helios%20cockpit

Well, if I could get the cockpit on a separate monitor that was the same size as my regular/main monitor, that might make a lot of sense, but sticking it on a little iPad (which was the suggestion of the OP) just doesn't do it for me.  Plus, if the cockpit were going to be on the separate monitor, then presumably there would have to be some way to prevent it from showing up on my regular/main monitor or else when I look down with TIR I'll wind up seeing two copies of the cockpit gauges, which I think would be really weird.  (Does the Helios software you mention do that?  I don't have the luxury of having one of those "best and most expensive flight simulation seats" so I haven't really checked into them before).