Zak

Developer Diary, Part 32

Dear pilots!

You must have already noticed the changes on the forum – today's Dev blog update is mostly about these changes.

We’ve distributed digital keys to everyone who’s pre-ordered the game. You can check it out right away on you Profile page. Your personal key can be activated instantly, and doing so will add the founder’s badge to your forum profile. Also every key before it’s activated can be sent as a gift to any other user – this is the second new tab on the account management page.

And some news for those who have already pre-ordered the game – we’ve launched a special subforum called Founders Group.
For details, please, click here

And traditionally after every live stream I present you the record of the broadcast with it’s special guest Andrey Solomykin aka Petrovich. English captions added.

Full news
You can ask new questions in this thread
You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

thanks for subs for live video...     ah thats why he did that thing in that way with it, at that time while not seeing that coming at him then  :cool:

was expecting some questions to be answered in update with the video but i see you guys had some other things planed for today :)

now back to big question of this update, why light green color for devs posts, i would like to be maybe like Deep Cerise with a hint of Electric Cyan  :biggrin:

Edited by Yaklover

Ego extenders for those that have preordered.  :P

Edited by TJT
  • Upvote 1

Ego extenders for those that have preordered.  :P

Oh, haha, i didn't acessed the forum for some time and totally forgot about that silver and golden tags stuff. Not that i want it, but i pre-ordered a premium copy at july 26 and nothing changed for me. Now i'm afraid i will not have my copy of the game.  :scratch_one-s_head:

Nice Update.... looking forward to this more and more with every Dev Diary :)

Oh, haha, i didn't acessed the forum for some time and totally forgot about that silver and golden tags stuff. Not that i want it, but i pre-ordered a premium copy at july 26 and nothing changed for me. Now i'm afraid i will not have my copy of the game.  :scratch_one-s_head:

read the news, you have to activate your license under your account..............

• Upvote 1

read the news, you have to activate your license under your account..............

My bad, thank you mate!  :salute:

I had hoped that I missed some things when watching in the Russian version, but there's nothing new with the subtitles helping the understanding. As far as the FM is concerned, this update is a big disappointment for me. There's really nothing shown that exceeds what we have in Il-2 already, except for separate controls of radiator and oil cooler. And for what it's worth, in Il-2:1946 the LaGG has a constant speed prop as well, range 1000-2700rpm. Pretty much everything shown in the video is there in 1946, even though the LaGG is not impossible just harder to recover from a spin with wrong control input sequence.

I now hope you just didn't get to show anything interesting, while it is in fact there. Graphics were nice to watch, as always. Thanks for the update.

Edited by JtD

Thank You all very much for this regular updates!

Aand good news I can only wait for next week and then later for the game,

A great game without any doubt. :biggrin:  :)

Edited by senseispcc

thanks for the update ;)

however, as JtD, i am a bit sceptical about spin recovery sequence. not that i flew a LaGG-3 or have a manual for it, but the recovery delay caused by the wrong sequence of elevator and rudder movements seems a bit extreme to me. i guessed somewhere between 180° or 360°  delay. after all, pushing the stick helps to get more surface of the rudder out of the slipstream of the elevator and horizontal stabilizer, increasing the rudder surface in the airflow and thus increasing its effectiveness.

Can you tell me where you have the information about this spin recovery behavior from?

thanks in advance

Hi, thanks for video, nice, looks neat with all the details of manual pitch and so....i will enjoy it when i cruise but in combat i might need help from auto :)

Anyway i hope you show next time some cool physics and effects which iam sure will be spectaculars.Maybe to shoot down a bomber... :)

I really like the fact that some or all the planes have a manual operating system...just flying them solo offers plenty of challenges , but I'm afraid when combat starts i have to go to simple .I don't have enough hands or the proper ergo nomoc layout ( like a real cockpit does to handle everything I must do to keep the plane in the air while wildly turning & shooting.I simply don't have enough hands or two sets of eyes! :huh:

I had hoped that I missed some things when watching in the Russian version, but there's nothing new with the subtitles helping the understanding. As far as the FM is concerned, this update is a big disappointment for me. There's really nothing shown that exceeds what we have in Il-2 already, except for separate controls of radiator and oil cooler. And for what it's worth, in Il-2:1946 the LaGG has a constant speed prop as well, range 1000-2700rpm. Pretty much everything shown in the video is there in 1946, even though the LaGG is not impossible just harder to recover from a spin with wrong control input sequence.

I now hope you just didn't get to show anything interesting, while it is in fact there. Graphics were nice to watch, as always. Thanks for the update.

Well you can't really see the FM anyway. Just watching it is not going to transfer over how it's going to be controlling it. It's going to be a nice a day difference between the old Il-2 series of planes on rails to this.

And regarding the prop:

http://www.pilotfriend.com/photo_albums/timeline/ww2/2/Lavochkin%20LaGG%203.htm

These included the adoption of a more powerful and supercharged version of the Klimov M-105 engine (the 1,240 hp (925 kw) M-105PF) and of a three-bladed variable-pitch metal propeller, increased fuel tank capacity, and the installation of slats on the leading edge of the wings.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Great live stream, thanks a lot, this was really fantastic. As for those who say the physics resemble Il-2 1946, well, I think that is pretty laughable, what with mushing, accelerated stalls, complex engine management, etc, etc, modelled in great detail. And, excuse me, when I saw the live stream without understanding the Russian I just saw a klutch run off the runway twice... - With English subtitles the whole excercise became understandable.

BTW, in the beginning they keep talking about wind from the right, but to me it seems that is is a side wind from the left. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the update.

In the next livestream Id like to see the IL2 or, even better, finally the city of Stalingrad and a nice sightseeing of the map.

Take us to some places in Stalingrad and across the Volga please :)

I was interested to see the engine didn't appear to mind the order of adjusting RPM and power.  

(Typically in a modern airplane - and one where the pilot has to buy real parts with real money and worry about real forced landings with real personal risk - when you increase power, you set the mixture if required, set the RPMs with the prop control and then set the power with the throttle.  Decreasing power is done in the reverse order.  I have no idea where a supercharger gets added to the mix.)

Are there power settings that should be avoided on different airplanes?  Can we break stuff if we clumsily ignore correct engine management, or do we just impact performance?

There are lots of rules for different aircraft about specific manifold pressure / RPM combos that can cause vibrations, or detonation, or other dangerous conditions inside the cylinder heads, and some traditions from round engines that are probably a little obsolete about not having an "oversquare" power setting where MP is > RPM / 100 -- are we going to have to memorize a few different power settings for different aircraft like 26 / 46 for a climb, etc?

Great live stream, thanks a lot, this was really fantastic. As for those who say the physics resemble Il-2 1946, well, I think that is pretty laughable, what with mushing, accelerated stalls, complex engine management, etc, etc, modelled in great detail. And, excuse me, when I saw the live stream without understanding the Russian I just saw a klutch run off the runway twice... - With English subtitles the whole excercise became understandable.

BTW, in the beginning they keep talking about wind from the right, but to me it seems that is is a side wind from the left. 

Agree completely.

I don't think I need someone who cannot tell the difference between a constant speed prop and a variable pitch prop or doesn't know if the wind comes from left or right based on how a plane reacts to try and convince me how great the flight model is. (No offence meant.)

The constant speed prop is a variable pitch prop with an automatic rpm gouverner. In case of (most) Klimov engines, the R-7 gouverner was used. A pretty easy to understand description of how it works. Essentially, the preselected rpm are maintained through a balance of oil, any difference between preselected and actual rpm will cause an oil flow, which will correct the imbalance. Limits of the system are maximum oil flow, prop pitch range and system sensitivity. All this is in Il-2:1946.

With a wind from the right the tail gets pushed around, because the bigger part of the air frame, in particular rudder, are behind the contact point of the wheels with the ground. In other words, the aircraft will try to get the nose into the wind. In the video it was also obvious that he was drifting to the left, downwind, during the landing approach. All this is in Il-2:1946.

I was interested to see the engine didn't appear to mind the order of adjusting RPM and power.

Found that interesting, too. Things like detonation don't seem to be modelled, or might have been switched off in difficulty. That's what I consider basic for complex engine management, and it wasn't shown. It's not present in Il-2:1946, either. Edited by JtD

You should be able to take off with use of the rudder only. So no breaks necessary. And I did not see a strong wind. 

Or is it the pilot that had to learn?

Edited by Benz

JtD, I really don't know what you are expecting. Every plane that's in the initial release for BoS is in 1946 in some form or another. The point isn't to do something that's never been done before, it's to do it better. It's about better FM's, DM's, graphics and sounds. The engine management isn't going to magically change for a plane because of a different game engine assuming both model it properly. You can't see or hear FM's in a video. So you simply cannot judge by watching. We can judge from RoF however, which is superb. There are some questionable issues in it regarding engine performance of some planes, but WW1 planes don't have anywhere near the documentation of WW2 planes. So there are some disputes there.

Regardless, I liked the video. It gives a good overview of what to expect in terms of engine complexity. From what I can tell, it strikes the right balance between being detailed and having too much detail.

Edited by =LD=King_Hrothgar