Jason_Williams

Discussion about DCS:WW2 goes here.

Apparently you don't know what EDGE is.

according to gavagai, it's even worse than i thought.

Luthier posted these in the backers section so I thought I would just share these WIP.... :)

Screen_140314_180047.jpgScreen_140314_175827.jpg

aww man I so would have contributed to the kickstarter if I'd known about this sooner.

poopings!!1 real life is do dammned annoying sometimes.

I don't think you should be relinking those pictures if they are from private forum to il2 official forum because there is reason why they just linked them on backers website.

And info for backers: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944/posts/787617

EDGE have nothing to do with CPU calculating units and their ai and such.
  • Upvote 1

According to gavagai, everything is worse than anyone thought. He's like that...  ;)

I don't think you should be relinking those pictures if they are from private forum to il2 official forum because there is reason why they just linked them on backers website.

I don't see why not.  We have an early access forum here for backers. People post from it on other web sites all the time.  Its a healthy thing.

Thanks for posting Krupi.  Looking good :salute:

Sounds like a single born child.

Thx for keeping the "untrustfull Comm". informed about the progress.

ad hominems aside (Andy likes to make personal attacks instead of addressing facts), I'm just repeating what I've been told at the DCS forums.  I asked about EDGE making better use of multiple core processors, and I was corrected by other forum members.  What they explained is that EDGE will make use of multiple GPUs.

You can read here where it's explained that EDGE is a DX11 graphics engine, not a core physics engine.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80468&highlight=EDGE+multi+core+cpu

Edited by gavagai

Please point out where I have said something false.  Or if you disagree with the information I'm sharing please explain how.

Edited by gavagai

and optimizing the graphic engine is bad because?

I think it is very good.  Some are disappointed because they would like to see the core physics engine make use of multiple cpu cores, and that's not happening yet.  We need to wait and see how much benefit really comes from edge before we celebrate or get upset. :mellow:

I have no idea if what you said is false and nor do you because you're merely repeating what others have said.

I tend not to repeat what others say unless I know the truth of the matter.

The last thing I want is some sarcastic git pointing out the foolish thing I just posted. :)

The link I posted is from the official ED news bulletins.

• Upvote 1

To all: please leave the personal stuff outside the discussion.

If they were going to implement better multicore, they would have announced it already, because that's something people have been clamoring for since a-10 came out and performed horribly when there were more than 6 or 7 vehicles in the game.

gavangi's info seems correct, i've been a member of the eagle dynamic official forum for a long time(gave up when i realized edge was going to be useless in terms of actual calculations and moved on), and everything he's posted is correct and has been repeated by eagle dynamics staff.

yeah that one, sorry I was in a rush and didn't write it in full. 

I'm really looking forward to try these sims, I love the procedural aspect and troubleshooting with the DCS mustang, and yes it might not be perfect, but it feels like you're operating the real thing and I just love that! 

• Upvote 1

Must admit I haven't paid much attention to this one lately.  Whats the state of play at the moment - isn't there an Alpha due to be released very soon?

I'm afraid there is still quite a long way to Alpha...

I remember reading Luthier's claim of a flyable alpha by last month.  At the time I thought it was more inspired by BoS's development cycle than any realistic estimate of his own.  One to two years would seem more realistic, particularly for the Beta.  The 190 alone has been in development for a couple of years now, so I can't imagine how they can manage four more by the September date they've set themselves. 

Anyone who thinks there will be an Alpha of this sim within the next 3 months is IMO dreaming based on the level of progress we have seen thus far.. Of course I could be wrong... but when I dropped my $$$ for this I was not expecting to see anything concrete until at least the end of the year and I still don't... regardless to what may come from the site.. and that is not to slag Ilya or anyone else.. it is what it is.. and if I didn't think that eventually I wouldn't see something I never would have dropped a cent. I see no sense in sitting like a cat at a mouse hole over this ... not when I have IL2, BoS and CoD to fly... it is what it is and some of us need to just suck it up and not get our hopes up too high at this point.. it is way too soon.

• Upvote 1

I just wish, that Luthier and whoever else is associated with this project would stop giving promises and setting deadlines, which they have to know on some level aren't going to be kept.

If I had money invested in this project, I would start to become impatient by now, regardless what other sims I might have to play around with.

It's just not healthy for any project to miss deadline after deadline, so I really wish that team DCS:WW2 would stop letting themselves get pressured by the rapid advancement of BoS (which did after all have a head start) and concentrate on getting stuff finished in the right order. Working on a manual for a pre-alpha game is just ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

The manual was for the FW190 which is an ED product that RRG are working with them on. The FW190 will be released into beta relatively soon so it's hardly ridiculous for work to be done on that. 

The manual was for the FW190 which is an ED product that RRG are working with them on. The FW190 will be released into beta relatively soon so it's hardly ridiculous for work to be done on that. 

I disagree. If the BoS team had spent valuable time making a manual for the LaGG or some other aircraft released so far, I would've considered that a waste of time too.

I was hoping that Luthier would have changed his approach, but it sound a lot like the old music to me, which is a shame.

Please Luthier, prove me wrong and deliver the best sim to date!  :cool:

Another question for the guys that are following this closely: are they going to work on the effects as well? 

we get regular updates that show progress.

not sure about effects, it's ED's game engine and I'm sure they will be working on good effects for the new EDGE.

The effects in the video that Bearcat posted definately looked placeholder-ish. As did the lighting in the sim. But really, what can we expect at this point. I'm much more interested in, how it flies.

I have to echo Sterns feelings. I really, really want this to be as good as or better than BoS, but this is really starting to look like ClOD all over again. Luthier is immensely talented and extremely ambtious, but he just doesn't seem to have a knack for leading a development project.

• Upvote 2

I guess everyone is entitled to stand on whatever side of the fence, personally I think it looks promising, sure it's been a complicated task for him to intergrade the reward system between kickstarter and paypal but it does seem to be falling into place, all he is doing is creating content for another game engine but even that takes time as we know.

DCS P-51 as it stands is a better simulation than anything else, all we are waiting for is the addition of an adversary and we have a useful combat game.

• Upvote 2

Hopefully the map makers are as good at working in a self-directed manner as the 3D modellers seem to be. I think we've all seen this before though, unfortunately.

I know what you mean and you are right of course.  It's just that I have that feeling that there will be a protracted, circular development, plenty of bad press and an inconclusive result. 

Much of that bad press comes from people constantly voicing negative feelings, stuff like 'I really want it to succeed but.........'.

Much of this negativity could be easily prevented by not giving out promises and setting deadlines that won't be kept and just stick to showing the progress.

• Upvote 2

since the kickstarter there have been no more promises and deadlines made and we are getting regular updates on progress and explanations of the delays on those targets.

I think (or at least hope!) that Luthier learned his lesson, but it still remains that CloD is quite a big stain on his CV and DCS 1944 is what will make or break him really.. no pressure uh?  ;)

That's what I don't get, ClOD was 1C's mess, Luthier didn't ruin it, he just wasn't given the time to finish it, it wouldn't have been his decision to release it and it wouldn't have been his decision to cancel it, Team Fusion have proved beyond doubt it was viable, but for some reason Luthier is being pursued by hate spewing pack dogs.

• Upvote 2