BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 30

Dear Pilots!

Today’s 30th anniversary Dev blog note is a perfect occasion for some presents, don’t you think?

It has been five weeks since we launched the IL-2: BOS pre-order program. We say thanks to everyone who pre-ordered either edition by September 1st! In appreciation of all who have pre-ordered by this date, you will receive two bonuses for your in-game IL-2 aircraft:

• Weapon modification with a ShKAS machinegun in the rear.
  • Unique camouflage skin.
Both these additions will be available to you the very first day when IL-2: BOS is released. The IL-2 skin is unique and cannot be unlocked while playing the game.

More good news - we have decided to extend the early-access pre-order program for one more month until October 1st! Over the past few weeks we have revealed more and more information about the project, our technology, the team and our goals. Now many more potential pilots can make an informed decision about BOS and still participate in our pre-order program. We hope they will want to join you in the skies above Stalingrad this year.

In addition to extending the pre-order program, anyone who has already placed or will place an order before October 1st will receive a special skin for the Bf-109 F-4.  This is just one of several other bonuses that will be announced for those that place a pre-order before the deadline. Stay tuned!

And finally the biggest news so far - both the Standard and Premium editions of BOS will now include all 8 flyable aircraft as a launching set of aircrafts! We always listen to our community’s opinion and we respect your input and concerns. Therefore we have decided to give all users the Yak-1 and Bf-109 G-2 as part of the basic package. The dogfights will surely be epic fun for all.

And as promised the record of yesterdays live stream is now available with English subtitles on our YouTube channel

Full news

You can ask new questions in this thread

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

• Upvote 3

The pre-alpha work is looking good.  When is the pre-alpha stage expected to be completed?  And what aspects would be considered 99% complete at that stage?  (Obviously, anything could still be tweaked).

OMG, the LW pilot got three arms!!! It can move the flaps (left arm) and still wipe his goggles (left arm)! Clear LW bias, I bet the VVS pilots only get two arms!

• Upvote 2

Ok, put the whole development on hold, JtD found a dealbreaker... :-) (Good catch)

One thing to remember, the utube vid is nowhere near as nice looking as the live feed was.

Maybe next time we could have the utube vid in 1080p?

the only bug i happen to spot was the prop spinner-head switching color when engine started and stopped. it's looking really good.

a question for the masses:

waht happen to the famous  flap horn 1946 ahd in 109's? COD didnt had it, and BOS doesnt seem to ahve it either. did it ever existed?

Looking at the video now and I like what I see, thanks for the update!

One question though: Why the Russian language? I've seen the devs do pretty fluent english in earlier videos and on the forums. So is the majority of the customer base expected to be russian or why promo the title in other language than english?

Does that mean then that the Yak-1 and Bf-109 G-2 will be flyable from the beginning or will still be locked until a certain point in the game is reached?

Does that mean then that the Yak-1 and Bf-109 G-2 will be flyable from the beginning or will still be locked until a certain point in the game is reached?

It means that the Yak-1 and the Bf 109G-2, which until now were locked until a certain point in the game is reached, are now available right from the beginning. If you want to, you can make your first in game flight in one of these two birds. Edited by JtD

That should calm down a few posters around here then. Good news for all I think.

Thanks for being faithful to the Friday update.  Great way to start the weekend and your consistency says a lot about the professionalize of the team.  

The video streams are really great but I think you may be doing yourself a disservice by not making them 1080p.  The infamous leaked / stolen video of the Lagg in flight looked amazing in or color and detail.  We ALL want BOS to be a huge success since that will mean more theaters, planes, etc. Give us some eye candy and I think it may go a long way in generating orders :biggrin:

Yak1 v G2 dogfights will be epic indeed....here comes a Yak1...oh theres a G2....boom!.....no Yak1. Rinse and repeat :)

Man, there will need to be some serious teamwork!

Preorders can be bought until October 1st...thats nice. Also will include G2 and Yak1b. No unlocking thing, thanks GOD. I mean BOS would be played by family dudes too. We dont have the freakin time for SP campaigns. Wer the fathers in most cases, with limited free time. We are not just few.

ppl who will buy premium before october 1st will get rear guns for IL2....nice reward for early buy but still....salaries are in most cases betw 2nd and 15th in month....

I wonder if the preorders will be definitely closed on October 1st.....and what would be the price for standard edition in spring 2014....

Edited by Tvrdi

ppl who will buy premium before october 1st will get rear guns for IL2....nice reward for early buy but still....salaries are in most cases betw 2nd and 15th in month...

That's the reason why I haven't preordered yet, it was a summer holiday. Hopefully those who will preorder in September will get that rear gun as well...

ppl who will buy premium before october 1st will get rear guns for IL2....nice reward for early buy but still....salaries are in most cases betw 2nd and 15th in month....

I wonder if the preorders will be definitely closed on October 1st.....and what would be the price for standard edition in spring 2014....

There's always a cloud in the silver lining if you look hard enough. If your payday is the second or 15th as you say, why not order on September 15th? Gets you in under the wire and would be one less thing to complain about.

Great news again,

the 109 looks seriously good!

I wonder guys: how do you know the Yak1 will be the Yak1b and not just the earlier Yak1?

It's been announced that the Yak-1 will have the M-105PF engine. That doesn't meant it is going to be a Yak-1b, but it not going to be the underpowered flying coffin of 1941 either.

• Upvote 1

Is there an icon option here for a little guy doing cartwheels, jumping up and down with a  joystick in his hand? :o:

Edited by II./JG27Richie

Awesome !;) Can't wait to get my hands on the autumn version!

Considering it is pre-alpha I believe that in final version wheels won't sink into the ground. 

Considering it is pre-alpha I believe that in final version wheels won't sink into the ground.

Did I miss something? Tires deform under the weight of a 3 ton aircraft and the aircraft will definitely sink into snow. This considered, I don't recall seeing anything that would be wrong.

Awesome ! ;) Can't wait to get my hands on the autumn version!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strange thing to say, you know its snow and tires have air in them.

maybe i misunderstood what your trying to say.

Did I miss something? Tires deform under the weight of a 3 ton aircraft and the aircraft will definitely sink into snow. This considered, I don't recall seeing anything that would be wrong.

Yep.

Edited by Furbs

Like many others I've "flown" Il-2 since practically day one & I'd guess 90% of the time in various 109's ,ditto CloD,and guess what ? I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time in the Frederick & since I'm an early buyer the Gustav! Ausgezeichnet!

I have the im-pression the textures sink a bit into the terrain, e.g. when the plane is on the runway. Not sure if it is the deformation undetr the weight of the A/C.

Awesome ! ;) Can't wait to get my hands on the autumn version!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strange thing to say, you know its snow and tires have air in them.

maybe i misunderstood what your trying to say.

Yep.

Absolute fantastic live stream video guys! Cant wait for the He111 vid, the Il2 and the Ju87, oh and the Fw190 of course 8)

Thanks!

It's been announced that the Yak-1 will have the M-105PF engine. That doesn't meant it is going to be a Yak-1b, but it not going to be the underpowered flying coffin of 1941 either.

Phew! :happy:

Thanks for the info JtD, I did not know that... I'm looking forward to see some screenies or videos of the Yaks, for with Migs they are my favourites on the eastern front.

Anyway even if it was going to be the "underpowered flying coffin" i would have fly it! Why? Because they look so good, that even  when you are shot down, at least you go down with style :P . Hopefully we will have some other variants like the Yak7/7DI/9 later in the game development. I'm really waiting for them in a new sim, boy! it's going to be a lot of fun.

Could it also be that frontline fighters used low pressure tyres in order to get better ground handling on eastern primitive airfield?

That was superb. I can't get over how real the plane looks in some shots we saw. The view with TrackIR from inside the open cockpit was really immersive for me.

:good:  :good:  :good:  :good:

And finally the biggest news so far - both the Standard and Premium editions of BOS will now include all 8 flyable aircraft as a launching set of aircrafts! We always listen to our community’s opinion and we respect your input and concerns. Therefore we have decided to give all users the Yak-1 and Bf-109 G-2 as part of the basic package. The dogfights will surely be epic fun for all.EXCELLENT NEWS! +1 

About the Bf 109 F4  FM, I saw some things...

The time for  flaps deploy  is very good !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcMjhihuuX8

Roll Rate, Stall characteristics, and fast retraction of the slats when the nose went down,  I feel are perfect ! 

:good:

In the far distance I see a kind of colour change in forest.

There is quite a sharp line between green and blue. In video it is more noticable than in this still.

As mentioned in the video it is a test map and you guys are halfway development but I hope it will be fixed.

Colour_Band.jpg

That would be the place where detailed forest modelling ends and a long distance texture takes over. It is not necessarily something that can be fixed, unless the fix is that the sim will only run on Cray super-computers...

That would be the place where detailed forest modelling ends and a long distance texture takes over. It is not necessarily something that can be fixed, unless the fix is that the sim will only run on Cray super-computers...

I don't know about BoS of course but in IL2:1946 it was just a matter of adjusting colour of the ForestFar.tga.

The point is that as soon as you see it you notice it every time.

What has been seen can not be unseen.

One thing to remember, the utube vid is nowhere near as nice looking as the live feed was.

Maybe next time we could have the utube vid in 1080p?

Zak already replied to you in the other thread. I hope you're not in I'll-bug-them-about-this-till-I-get-my-way mode about this very unimportant issue. I think it is already fantastic that we get the live sessions and - on top of that - a REALLY quick translated version... Something to be quite grateful for, in my book anyway, so a big thanks to the team for the unprecedented access to their work during development.

(But maybe you didn't see Zaks reply even though you posted in the thread later)

• Upvote 1

I also say its this - its the same in RoF - just depends how far you set your rendering distance. Can be very far, but you need a powerfull computer for that (if you want to run 60+ FPS all the time)

BTW - I cant really comment on anything due to the China cenzorship of youtube.... but it sounds really good. I have complete faith in the devs anyway (reason why I immidiatly prordeder the premium version).

I should be back home just in time for the initial release - really looking forward to it.

If possible - is there a way to get the videos somewhere where people in China can also easily access them? It is really a  wasteland here as far as that is concerned - often I dont even get screenshots. Would be a shame to keep a big market like China missing out on the good stuff.

Acctually last time I wanted to update RoF (this last version) I acctually couldnt as it got blocked - had to use VPN over europe to make it happen in the end.