Feathered_IV

Flying the BoS Dream campaign - SP inspiration, Singleplayers only

Back when Early Access first started, I began thinking of what a single player campaign in BoS could be like.  How it might function and what improvements it would bring over the Rise of Flight career mode.  Having rewritten nearly a thousand lines of RoF career files and briefing texts for the GNM mod, I was pretty familiar with the way the system worked and its potential for development (it's a fantastic piece of programming, it just needed more activity in missions). 

So, here was me dreaming about a BoS campaign system and how it would look.  Flight sim fans love to make lists.  New planes, new features, new complaints. 

Just for fun I thought I'd make pictures instead...

Okay, here's a few snippets from my hypothetical BOS campaign.  I'll add to them as I go. 

First off, I entered the campaign menu and was asked to choose a side.  I like playing as the underdog, so VVS it was for me.  Nice sound effects in this interface menu by the way.  The sound of an icy wind howling across the steppes.  Russian orchestral music and singing can be faintly heard.  It comes and goes on the wind.  When I hit the Start button, Katyushas began howling.  That gave me a shiver!

p2tU2DS.jpg

I chose to join a squadron flying LaGGs (did I mention I like to fly as the underdog?) .  I must say I like the briefings in this dream-campaign.  The prologue puts you straight into the shoes of the main character on his way to the front.  It sort of reads like a diary entry rather than a terse communique.

sE0p4Am.jpg

Ok, here we go...

:salute:

Edited by Feathered_IV
FSM: EDITED TO HIGHLIGHT THIS IS STILL AT THE IDEA STAGE
  • Upvote 33

Looking forward to the rest!

Apologies for being obtuse, but what is the "GNM mod" you mention?  In my defense I only fly RoF MP for several years now...

Arghhh this is torture, when i have to start current bos campaign after reading this.

Hmm.  Looks like the D-campaign is similar to the RoF mission templates with a random factor.  I exited the campaign and restarted after changing the difficulty.  This time the prologue mission says I had mechanical trouble and was delayed.  Have to make the ferry flight alone.  :happy:

Man I love the vision of enhanced immersion here!  Can't wait to see more!  :biggrin:

Thank you, Feathered! I've subscribed for updates.

• Upvote 2

I imagine things like this will happen... but will require 3rd party mods or some such. The devs seem much more interested in focusing on the core of the simulation, and providing the tools modders need to make things like this happen.

And it makes sense: given the devs have limited resources, it's much better for them to focus on things only _they_ can do, and let the stuff that can be modded in happen through 3rd parties.

That's the impression I get, at least. The devs clearly focused on giving us the basis of a campaign, with parameter-based dynamic mission generation, different eras of maps, and airfield/airplane selection. Surely these are all settings a 3rd party campaign mod can use to make a fully immersive dynamic campaign (like PWCG for RoF).

Granted, I think the mission generation and AI needs some help, but I'm sure that will be improved.

I imagine things like this will happen... but will require 3rd party mods or some such. The devs seem much more interested in focusing on the core of the simulation, and providing the tools modders need to make things like this happen.

And it makes sense: given the devs have limited resources, it's much better for them to focus on things only _they_ can do, and let the stuff that can be modded in happen through 3rd parties.

That's the impression I get, at least. The devs clearly focused on giving us the basis of a campaign, with parameter-based dynamic mission generation, different eras of maps, and airfield/airplane selection. Surely these are all settings a 3rd party campaign mod can use to make a fully immersive dynamic campaign (like PWCG for RoF).

Granted, I think the mission generation and AI needs some help, but I'm sure that will be improved.

PWCG is not a fully immersive dynmaic campaign. Its a random mission generator with pilot stats.

What happens in a mission does not carry over to the next. Like a building get bombed and destroyed is back like it never happened in the next mission. If a squadron gets wiped out, they are back like nothing happened in the next mission.

Just wanted to point that out. Real dynamic campaigns in IL2 can be had with the likes of Dgen and DCG in the 1946 series.

Is this for real? I thought it was just a laugh, but it seems not.

Wow. Impressed at what you've done. I haven't dipped into RoF for ages so I'd missed this update. What a sensible addition.

You go Feathered.

+1 more constructive vision, less divisive contradictory griping.

• Upvote 2

S!

Looks nice! A few "grammar bigotry" issues here and there anda bit more military feel to the text would do it, but yes indeed a great improvement over the original we have now! :salute: Maybe this could be moved to Suggestions so it won't disappear in the general discussion clutter?

Edited by LLv34_Flanker

Maybe this could be moved to Suggestions so it won't disappear in the general discussion clutter?

+1

At last the community is coming together to discuss and suggest things, rather than pretending that the singleplayer campaign is the embodiment of satan and the sign of the coming apocalypse.

Great work Feathered; the pictures are also in-keeping with the general style of the campaign, which is great!

• Upvote 1

Thanks! following this one :salute:

Even me as a maily MP would find this kind of Campaign interesting. Its like the Career mode in ROF which I enjoyed a lot.  

At last the community is coming together to discuss and suggest things, rather than pretending that the singleplayer campaign is the embodiment of satan and the sign of the coming apocalypse.

The OP posts his ideas about how to make a proper SP campaign and you decide to post snide comments about the community?

Classy, real classy.

S!

Edited by Afwastus

Your idea looks like al lot to CLod's SP campain.  ... but with no IA problems, and without hurricanes you can never catch.

Desastersoft is a good inspiration : immersive, many many detailed objects, alived airfields, many IA  planes ....

I don't think it will be possible to do ,such a different long and hard work, in a month only.

the solution : giving us A good easy & complete Mission Builder.

Edited by snowsnipersnow_sniper

Just bumping to show support for the idea. This kind of thing is what a lot of people really want.

Not even a single player player, but would like to know more™. Why can't 777 have something like this actually in the box? Oh well at least there might be a fun way eventually to get unlocks.

Great Stuff Feathered ! Looking forward to more ! ~S~

Cheers guys.  Made it into the new airfield without incident.  Made a halfway decent landing too!

Also made an effort to meet the rest of the unit...

HB81fWP.jpg

Fans of Rise of Flight's excellent career interface will probably feel at home here.  It also looks like it owes a lot to the type of crew management that the old Silent Hunter 3 had.

I can't pretend to access the Advanced settings on the right yet (need to reach command level first) but it looks like theres plenty of potential there.

AI Pilots fly missions and gain mission points too, which accumulate and translate into added experience.  Flying also costs an individual a certain amount of stamina, while the mission performance of the unit as a whole effects the morale.  If the morale drops, so does the skill.  Depending on an individual pilot too much can tire them out and also reduce their skill.

Pilots generate Mission Points for successful actions.  A skilful commander can "spend" these on useful perks like awards and leave for their pilot to keep them in fighting trim.  An exhausted pilot might get a temporary boost from an award for example - Handy during a busy time.  Leave is even better, but may leave you short handed without one of your star performers.

Most importantly, the D-campaign also has Unit or Squadron points.  These accumulate or diminish with successful or unsuccessful missions.  Get enough of these and the unlocks start to occur (more on unlocks later).  If Squadron points get dangerously low however, - High Command begins to notice.  Stavka requires a steady stream of sucesses to keep them sweet.  If a unit's acheivements get too low, the Squadron Commander will be recalled to Moscow for an "interview".   You do not want to be that guy.  It is game-over.  :o:

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Upvote 21

concept sketches mate.  :ph34r:

Normally in a campaign when you get to fly as leader, you just get to fly at the front of the formation and not much more.  I was trying to picture something much more involveed.  As well as fighting the enemy, you would also feel like you had a crocodile snapping at your heels, as you also would have to satisfy command and their need for a steady diet of successes.

Edited by Feathered_IV

This is great!

+ 1 000 0000 000 :o:

Just one thing, you must be an officer when you were pilot in the VVS. Some french pilots of Normandie had to be promoted officer (Aspirant) before joining the Russia. But nice job!

Edited by GCN_Obelix
  • Upvote 1

Ok, hope it gets real thing some time in future

+ 1 000 000 000 :salute:

Very cool! This is the sort of stuff that helps make a good campaign. I know this is probably a bit beyond, but as a concept, if the plain map background was replaced with different backgrounds (hangar, ready room, etc) and integrated into what part of the campaign you were looking at it via mouse clicks within the scene it would be even better :) Judging by the nice rotating hangar we have at the start of the game the devs know how to do a quality background scene, so something like that as part of the campaign would be great.

Edited by SYN_Requiem
  • Upvote 3