Sign in to follow this  
Apoll

Do I Hear Correctly? Can't Fly the He-111 FIRST UP without 'unlocking' stuff?

Re latest Developers' update: did I hear correctly? Will have to fly 109 et al before I get enough 'points' to unlock the He-111? Tell me that is not correct... Because I DON'T want to fly fighters, or be forced to accumulate silly points or whatever to get to fly my favourite: the He-111. I want to fly it right from the get go, and frankly, I bought early access largely to fly the He-111.

Developers: I suggest you DO NOT go down this path. It is, IMHO, too gamey. I want to fly the He-111 from the first.

For your serious consideration.

Apoll

You won't have to fly fighters, but depending on the version of the game you own, you might have to fly a handful of missions in the Ju87.

There has been strong criticism since friday of this, but it's really not news at all. The unlock system has been known since before Early Access started.

In any case, it's not going to change. This was the system the devs wanted and they made exactly what they promised. They aren't suddenly gonna change their minds now on the eve of release.

• Upvote 2

You are right, Finkeren. I'm coming to this late, and I guess it is what it is. It I'd still a fantastic game from my perspective. I just really want to fly bombers; I only got the standard edition, and if it means I can go straight to the He-111, then if there is am upgrade option, I will upgrade. Do u know if one can upgrade from standard to the higher edition?

Apoll

You won't have to fly fighters, but depending on the version of the game you own, you might have to fly a handful of missions in the Ju87.

There has been strong criticism since friday of this, but it's really not news at all. The unlock system has been known since before Early Access started.

Fair enough for unlocking skins,headrests and all,but they did say there would be no fly X plane to unlock Y plane,if you have the plane list you can fly the planes you have.

Now they are saying this?I have no interest in the Stuka but I enjoy the Heinkel so I have to "grind" with something I don't enjoy to fly something I do enjoy?

Seems a little off putting to me.TBH I am looking forward to the SP but it is things like this that make me cringe,sorry.

Mick. :)

Also, It only applies to within the career mode.  You want to fly in qmb or on line, pick the plane you want!  Assuming you own it of course.

Unlocking planes does not apply to founders? Is that right? Can someone confirm that? Great if so....

Apoll

I believe it will apply to founders within the career mode.  But not in QMB or MP.  Nor will it apply to anyone else in those modes.

Ah SYN mike77, that's bad enough in my books. I do want to use the plane of my choice in SP campaign from the get go. Oh well...hope the reaction from the community prompts a rethink on the part of the devs. Still a great simulation in my books....

Apoll

I don't think unlocks are going to affect multiplayer. It's only campaign. At most skins will be locked in multiplayer.

Despite the hand wringing I have heard online about this issue, there are just too many factors we do not know yet. It is quite likely that linear campaigns could be produced by the community for single planes, so we could have a fan-made Henkel campaign if anyone was interested to make one. This is how things have worked for Arma3, which is the most played sim on steam at the moment, unless you count racing etc.

Arma3 was released without any single player campaign (that came later) but most of the content played by the community doesn't come from the developers but from the community itself. A campaign was eventually released, but hardly anyone plays it. The main benefit of them developing the campaign was to hone the game toolset, which when available to the community provided opportunities for people to play the game however they wish. 

It is understandable that any decisions about the way the sim is built will have detractors, but we are talking about a sim platform here, so over the lifetime of the game it will evolve to fulfill the desires of the community. This is exactly the case with another recent combat flight sim I could name, which was released in a much more unstable/undeveloped state than this alpha, yet has been continually refined into something wonderful by the players. What the developers release here is the foundation upon which we can build. 

Unlocking planes does not apply to founders based on what the devs say in the video. But founders will have to unlock mods and skins and at least unlocking skins seem to affect MP too (they specifically state that), so i guess the same is true for mods.

The friday campaign video explanation made it pretty clear to me that to be able to fly the HE111 you have to fill the Stuka quota (after being a fighter long enough to be a stuka pilot) I think that is the worst decicion ever made in an otherwise great sim! If I had any interest in flying the HE111 I'd like to start as a pilot of one.. not risk my life in totally different environment. But as I never got the hang of perfect bombing in the IL2:1946 (and previos ones) But were my own biggest fan flying the B-25 really high, and hitting within 10 meters, i loved bombing in that one.
Doesn't matter if you get it for free as a founder, but have to play a few days to get the HE111 if you weren't a founder, and i jumped in pretty late, and don't even consider myself a founder.. with a big stretch you could call me a supporter, but I'm not a supporter of the unlocks!
Whats next, Steam achivements!?

Whats next, Steam achivements!?

Funny you should say that, but it is a condition by Valve that new releases on the Steam store DO have achievements (which is one of the reasons some titles cost more on Steam, the extra money has to go towards plugging achievements and trading card triggers into the game, which often means revisiting old code.) So yes, we will get Steam achievements. Everything gets Steam achievements. :)

(Oh actually, if you bought directly from the developer you won't get steam achievements. Yay!)

Edited by 39bn_pavig
  • Upvote 1

A big plus and a big minus at the same time.. the plus is I don't have to chase stupid achivements!
I bought Duke Nuke'em complete bundle for my 65+ mom since she used to love it.. she got them all but the MP ones, since .. well not many play it online these days. 322 hours of old-scholl fun for her at least. Without achivements.. maybe 600 by now!

Edited by Pigmachine

This is what it says in the dev blog email i received today.

Please, note that all current and future buyers of both Standard and Premium editions have all the planes available from day 1 for any game mode. At the same time modifications and extra skins will be presented as unlockables that we’ll be revealed one by one rewarding your progress in the campaign.

So i guess there will be some sort of "lite" (cheaper) game version, which will require you to unlock planes.

Hopefully there'll be a 10,00 EUR DLC which unlocks all the mods. :)

This is what it says in the dev blog email i received today.

So i guess there will be some sort of "lite" (cheaper) game version, which will require you to unlock planes.

Hopefully there'll be a 10,00 EUR DLC which unlocks all the mods. :)

So does this mean i spent $20 a piece on 2 planes that i could have just unlocked?

So does this mean i spent $20 a piece on 2 planes that i could have just unlocked?

Nowhere have the devs stated that you will be able to unlock planes you haven't paid for.

Nowhere have the devs stated that you will be able to unlock planes you haven't paid for.

ok well when i read "Please, note that all current and future buyers of both Standard and Premium editions have all the planes available" misunderstood what that means i guess

Edited by Mikey420

Mikey420 et alia, check my post in the Dev Note 79 trying to pin Jason down once and for all on just what is locked, what isn't, and to whom these 'locks' apply. I'm finding it all a bit confusing...but I think I'm ok as an early access purchaser...but not 100 percent sure.

Apoll

Its all cleared up, standard gets standard 8 planes all unlocked, premium get the 10 planes. simple misunderstanding

Yea, looks like it will be fine re able to play the HE-111 from the get go. This thread no longer is relevant. Self deleting it....

Apoll

Yea, looks like it will be fine re able to play the HE-111 from the get go. This thread no longer is relevant. Self deleting it....

Ok, then I'm locking it.