BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 79

Hi Everybody!

The team has been working on the single player campaign (or AQM – advanced quick mission as we call it) for the whole week. The recent live stream shown on Friday was to demonstrate you some of the elements of that extensive mode. As you might guess, that’s a whole lot of work – to put that much content into this complicated system. You may have a lot of questions about this part of the project and you’ll find answers to many of them in the record of our latest live stream below.

Along with AQM, we’re completing the other elements of the sim. Today’s update brings you the technical chat (or technochat, sounds impressive). Anyway this feature is to tell you what happens to your plane: gears are released, an engine suffers from overheating, all your gunners are extensively bleeding, and so on. And of course you can always turn those off if you’re so hardcore.

Some peculiar DM improvement is to be deployed later today: incoming damage will be able to breaks rods used to control rudders and ailerons. It’s pretty hard to demonstrate such feature on a video for example so you’re free to try it yourself flying on a damaged aircraft in BOS. By the way, AI pilots will tend to bail out if those rods are damaged in their planes.

As it was planned from the very beginning, we’re adding deeper simulation step by step. Today is a good day for Messerschmitt pilots because they get to control all radiators manually.

Other changes are mostly about minor graphical fixes. Speaking of which: nVIDIA released new WHQL driver pack that features IL2BOS profile. So if you want to use your SLI-configuration in the game then just install the 344.11 version – the thing should work at least as good as in ROF.

Here goes the record of the live stream I promised. Have a good weekend everyone.

Full news

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 5

dont know what it is but

THANKS!

(257 MB) ---- 75%

Edited by E69_Pupo

Nice update.. Is there an Instrument missing in the La5 ?

Bos is looking better every update ~S~

is the technochat a server side option?

how to set up 109 radiators? i cant get them to work?

Edited by E69_Pupo

Sweet. But no mention of your shiny new Oculus Rift DK2?! :-p

It has just arrived, so I don't have any specific news about it yet :)

10644002_690394454371979_590388196_n.jpg

• Upvote 6

I really hope they don't force us to unlock everything in MP by playing SP... ugh.

Skins and cosmetic items? Ok.

Equipment? Not so much.

Edited by 71st_AH_Chuck
  • Upvote 2

I quite like the messages appearing about throttle position except that when flying the FW190 the slightest movement of the stick gives me a constant and rather irritating message about the condition of my tail-wheel lock! :(

Is the "HUD" complement.

331onf5.jpg

When you adjust throttle, pitch... a message is momentaneus show on right side of screen.

Sokol1

I really hope they don't force us to unlock everything in MP by playing SP... ugh.

Skins and cosmetic items? Ok.

Equipment? Not so much.

Grindgrindgrindgrind.

Gotta get that XP.

Not War Thunder...

So I've watched the whole video and I think it's really interesting. This is what they had been saying they were building and it looks really interesting in the end. Having done a lot of mission building and campaign research I get why regiments aren't in place (although still feel slight disappointment) but I like the idea of being able to jump into a mission quickly if I want or being able to take more time if I want as well. I like it overall! I'm looking forward to trying it!

• Upvote 2

What an interesting live stream. The campaign style won't be to everyone's liking but it's a fresh approach that I really look forward to getting into. I love the way no mission is replayable; one chance just like in reality. The progression with the aircraft seems pretty cool though IMHO.

And it's all so damned "beautiful"; the map, interface. Good work fellas!

It's not so much a campaign though. More an XP generator. I must admit I was hoping for something like RoF's campaign interface, just with more aircraft.

• Upvote 2

So is the english narrator for the cutscenes the same guy from Red Orchestra 2? Sounds similar if I recall haha. I love those cutscenes! The art style is great.

Really digging the UI guys, you nailed it. Very clean, simple look to it I love it.

What an interesting live stream. The campaign style won't be to everyone's liking but it's a fresh approach that I really look forward to getting into. I love the way no mission is replayable; one chance just like in reality. The progression with the aircraft seems pretty cool though IMHO.

And it's all so damned "beautiful"; the map, interface. Good work fellas!

Reality? Yes, I remember the stories of the LW and VVS pilots trying to earn XP to unlock paintjobs for their planes, and new airfields to fly to. Those were rough times, especially if they were green, and didn't get the double XP bonus like the vets did. :rolleyes:

Campaign style is not fresh OR new. Its a QMB with a different interface. Pretty barebone, and not interesting in the least.

This is what BoS's main focus on SP came to be?

• Upvote 1

Reality? Yes, I remember the stories of the LW and VVS pilots trying to earn XP to unlock paintjobs for their planes, and new airfields to fly to. Those were rough times, especially if they were green, and didn't get the double XP bonus like the vets did. :rolleyes:

Campaign style is not fresh OR new. Its a QMB with a different interface. Pretty barebone, and not interesting in the least.

This is what BoS's main focus on SP came to be?

yea i agree i am fairly dissapointed nothing with beat il2 1946's dynamic campaigns :( sigh

So the water radiotor in the Bf 109 can now be operated manually. Works fine so far. But I can´t find a key command to enable the manual oil radiator?

The F and G model in real life don't have automatic rads control?

People scream for more content, get it, then complain some more. How about sitting out a week or two, wait for the final release and then tell us all how bad it is?

Excellent update. Visually it's getting better and better. Still hoping the cloud jaggies disappear by final release.

So the water radiotor in the Bf 109 can now be operated manually. Works fine so far. But I can´t find a key command to enable the manual oil radiator?

which key did you use to make it work? mine wont movie for nothing..

which key did you use to make it work? mine wont movie for nothing..

You´ll find the command in the settings under engine:"switch water radiator controll manual/auto".

Activate it and thereafter you can open and close the water radiator with the buttons or axis which You have mapped.

It´s not animateted in the cockpit though, as far as I can see.

I don't understand the draw of SP anyways.

And some dont understand the draw for MP.

For me, I dont have much time to sit online. I got too much RL stuff going on and being able to pause at anytime is needed. The only online I cared for was old Il2 and recently DCS and BMS. Thats because I was in a really neat squad that flew fun user created missions and I had time to invest. Not so much anymore.

• Upvote 2

Not everyone has the time or inclination for multiplayer.

Thank you for the update, all the over time, commitment and hard work. Wishing Loft feels better soon.

Are there shades of grey/green lurking through the snow? Is this a new feature or have I simply missed it?

4gi73p.png

There is absolutely no need for none to justify how he likes to spend his spare time...

If someone like the thrill of MP...so be it.

If someone likes to get immersed with a good SP campaign...so be it

• Upvote 3

The campaign interface is following along the lines the dev's previously outlined, so I wasn't expecting anything different.  It's kind of neat to see this unfolding even if it's not everything we'd like right from the start.  It's going to evolve...with the FMB and our community into more about the history and specific fighter/bomber squadrons and more persona based type missions.  We just have to bide our time and let this sim evolve.  Let's face it...every other combat flight sim has had years to develop into what we are expecting IL-2 BOS to do in just months.  If I can just get some suspense into the missions and the excitement of working through the missions and RTB alive, I'm going to have some fun.  Every mission is unique...what's not to like.....

• Upvote 4

I like the concept of the campaign.

But I won't be able to play the campaing on full realism but with External views. Don't like that... :(

• Upvote 2

And some dont understand the draw for MP.

For me, I dont have much time to sit online. I got too much RL stuff going on and being able to pause at anytime is needed. The only online I cared for was old Il2 and recently DCS and BMS. Thats because I was in a really neat squad that flew fun user created missions and I had time to invest. Not so much anymore.

I don't either, and I recall a large percentage play SP over MP...

As for the campaign, it looks interesting, I like the video's and it does seem, but its certainly not a career, which I believe they have never promised.  I am going to be optimistic and hope we see a career at some point, perhaps when the next campaign gets release to then start tying a career pilot together with promotions and transfers to different fronts along the East, and maybe even to the West if Il2: BOS succeeds?

Another point to consider, Il2:BOS has undergone a very quick development schedule and would a career be something that needs more time and larger plane set to really be valuable?

Out of interest, is the concept of a career popular with the Russians side of the player base?

• Upvote 1

After seeing the video I think the campaign concept is quite good and I'm looking forward to it.

• Upvote 1

I can't understand making a game this epic and detailed only to not have solid singleplayer element to actually use it all on. Rise of flights campaign would of been more then fine, and I was under the impression that's what it was going to be, just something where you can be in a squadron and track stats and actually feel like you're in a real campaign. Multiplayer isn't my thing and and it looks like i just wasted $100 :/ not that this isn't an amazing game, but for someone who only plays singleplayer I guess it's back to BMS and ROF  :( (ps it is still an awesome game guys and I take my hat off to developers who make games like this when others are raking it in with the same trash every year like COD)