Sign in to follow this  
mazex

Just came back from Roskilde Airshow listening to the DB605 sing...

Hi fellow aircraft nerds ;)

Even though you have for sure seen many 605 startup videos of better quality I thougt I'd share a fresh clip I recorded three hours ago in Roskilde (Denmark) listening to the startup of the EADS Heritage Flight Messerschmitt 109G with original DB 605 engine. Have never heard it myself and I was a bit afraid I was putting in too much anticipation of the sound so that I would get disappointed. Fortunately it did not happen. My god that engine sounds awesome! We had listened to the Merlin that I have heard many times before starting up and it sounds like a well tuned sewing machine compared to the brutal sound of the 605! Unfortunately I did not record the lovely compressor whine in the airshow as I was to focused on watching it (and listening).

http://youtu.be/KmxnSn-QO0U

My kids and their friends that joined agreed 100% that the 605 sounded "so much more powerful and evil" than the Merlin :)

Edited by mazex
  • Upvote 4

As it taxied behind the crowd, that obscured roar was amazing! Really wish I could have been there, I live like an hour away =/ 

Thanks for the video, for me it is THE best sounding aeroplane engine ever :)

Thank you very much, mate!  :happy:

You're right, the whistling compressor added to the georgeous roar on your video provides this plane with the unique personality I love and gifts our ears with a sweet (compressor) and sour experience .

AA_Engadin

That is sweet... really freaky the way the prop looked.. I have yet to see a109 live.

I love it. Love the 109, love the sound of the DB. Thanks for sharing! 

Thanks for sharing!

After your video I saw this one:

This is the second time I see wingtip vortices on a 109: these pilots are really forcing their ride.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for sharing!

After your video I saw this one:

This is the second time I see wingtip vortices on a 109: these pilots are really forcing their ride.

Yes - unfortunately I did not record his flight as I had three kids to keep in semi control while watching myself. He really files that 109 aggressively! He had massive wingtip vortices a number of times, not just a "hint". At one time my youngest son said - look, he has smoke from the wingtips like that glider had - but his is white instead of orange! 

And compared to the Spitfire and Mustang that also flew on the show it just has an "on rails" look about the way it flies. It really is noticeably smaller and looks more agile - even though we naturally know that the Spitfire turns faster it does not look that way! The Spitfire looks more "sluggish" in the air and the Merlin sounds awesome but more like a gentleman's sports car ;)

My brother is too rich and have both an Aston Martin DBS and a Porsche Carrera GT. They compare well to the Spitfire and the 109 I think, both in sound and handling style. The DBS sounds awesome but "distinguished", the GT (with "straight pipes") sounds like it mean war on the rest of the world :) The DBS feels controlled while the GT feels like it wants to go out of control...

EDIT - And yes it was the same pilot in Roskilde as in Hahnwiede so Claus sure goes "all in".

Edited by mazex

S!

Thanks for sharing the Messerschmitt videos :) That engine sounds so good. Merlins, blah to those tamed kittens ;) I've seen a video of the Tempest and Sea Fury. Those sound awesome and boy do they fly :) But again, thanks for sharing the videos guys :)

And compared to the Spitfire and Mustang that also flew on the show it just has an "on rails" look about the way it flies. It really is noticeably smaller and looks more agile - even though we naturally know that the Spitfire turns faster it does not look that way! The Spitfire looks more "sluggish" in the air and the Merlin sounds awesome but more like a gentleman's sports car ;)

Yes, I noted it also in other videos: the 109's pilot (whoever he is) is really pushing his plane, while Spitfires seem less aggressive in their manouvres (except for a MkXIV I saw in a video, as he was flying hard but not as Klaus).

Also P51's pilots seem to push them hard enough, just watch Freddy Cabanas' shows.

But probably it's all on the pilot.

Edited by 6S.Manu

Yes, I noted it also in other videos: the 109's pilot (whoever he is) is really pushing his plane

Yep it is very entertaining to watch, even they understandably don't push planes to their original limits on these shows. IIRC in 109 they use max 1.15 ATA, speed is limited to 550km/h IAS, g forces from -1 to +5g.

Edited by DB605

S!

So they use lower power setting than the optimal cruise: 1.21ata? Well it saves the engine as spare parts are not exactly plentiful. But still show how well the Bf109 moves with lesser power settings.

S!

So they use lower power setting than the optimal cruise: 1.21ata? Well it saves the engine as spare parts are not exactly plentiful. But still show how well the Bf109 moves with lesser power settings.

Yes, thats what Klaus Plasa said in "Aviation Classics" (issue 18) magazine interview.

Edited by DB605

S!

Thanks for sharing the Messerschmitt videos :) That engine sounds so good. Merlins, blah to those tamed kittens ;) I've seen a video of the Tempest and Sea Fury. Those sound awesome and boy do they fly :) But again, thanks for sharing the videos guys :)

Yes - the Tempest must be something to listen to with that monster of an engine :) There are no Napier engined aircraft (Mk V) airworthy I think? That would be something to see/hear!

Eugh, might be some terrible news 

Danish newspaper report a plane crashed at Roskilde airport  http://ekstrabladet.dk/112/article2069885.ece

They say it's the 109 ... 

Google Translate;

A plane has crashed outside the airport at Roskilde.

- We are heading there now. We've got a report that there was one passenger in the aircraft and that person is not seriously injured, says the head of security at Mid and West Zealand Police to Ekstra Bladet.

An eyewitness told the Ekstra Bladet that it must have occurred during a show, and that the aircraft must be a German model from 2 World War. A Messerschmitt 109

- The pilot flying first on the head, so he doing some heavy right and left turns. And so I do not know what is happening, but it sounds as if the engine goes out, and when he is flying at very low altitude, so goes the plane quickly to the ground, says Pedersen to Ekstra Bladet.

- I just thought oh no. It is perhaps the last time I see a plane of its kind in the air. They are very rare, says flyentusiasten and continues:

- Next, I thought of course the pilot. I certainly hope not, that something has happened.

A picture was just put up ... That makes me want to cry 

ubehandlet_webpix_960nolkm.jpg

Edited by Sethos

NO! I can't believe it...glad the pilot is ok, waiting for more news about crash...damn...

Yeah, I just saw it on the news :(

Seems like a wheels up landing, that's not gonna be cheap to fix :angry:

I really wanted to go this weekend, but was unable. There might never be 109 at Roskilde again.

Edited by Finkeren

Yeah, I just saw it on the news :(

Seems like a wheels up landing, that's not gonna be cheap to fix :angry:

But certainly cheaper than wheels down landing il the meadow field...from the pic, at least frame seems to be okay...hopefully they will repair it once again to flying condition.

Some more pictures of the crash:

Ubehandlet_webpix_960510m.jpg

Ubehandlet_webpix_960509m.jpg

Ubehandlet_webpix_960508m.jpg

Actually doesn't look that bad. They'll need to replace that wooden propeller though.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see Sethos' post.

Edited by Finkeren

Thanks...it does not seems to be suffered very much damage after all...Not that it will be cheap to fix anyway.

Yeah, does appear to have been a soft(er) belly landing - At least that's the best case scenario for a 'crash' 

Thank the good fortune for the farmer who hadn't yet harvested his crops - might have softened the landing.

BTW: Notice the condensation on the canopy, you can hardly see through. Let's have some of that in IL2-BoS

It seems nothing serious to the airframe... I just hope the engine is all right.

It seems nothing serious to the airframe... I just hope the engine is all right.

Yeah that's the big if. It obvioulsy seems like the engine was turning, when the aircraft hit the ground, which could propably do all sorts of damage.

He put it down really well. I guess the Spittie at the airshow gets to claim the kill :-)

Btw, cool remark by a Danish aviation enthusiast interviewed in the article: "I heard it lose engine power and saw that it was going down. I thought, oh no, that plane is invaluable, I hope nothing happens to it, there are only ten or so left flying in the world. Then I thought about the pilot.." - Got his priorities straight... :-)

Within a few years this is the third crashlanding for this machine:

First Crash Home Air Base Albstadt-Degerfeld 15.7.2005:

seite005.jpgseite003.jpg

Second Crash Airfield Manching 23.04.2008:

2416_9_R7_06.jpg

What an unlucky bird....sad story...

Edited by Corto

This was a Hispano (CASA) license built Bf-109, the Hispano HA-1112 M-1L. Glad the pilot was ok. Apparently the third crash for this aircraft.

Edited by Ice_Eagle

There's a video up in the linked newspaper article. Nothing exciting though, taken from afar and you just see the plane dip down behind some trees. 

Arghh! It hurts so much seeing a rare aircraft go down and I'm really happy that Klaus got away walking from the wreck. It feels a bit creepy to have seen it yesterday making it's last normal landing in a long time (and a great landing it was).

I was just having a discussion with my kids in the car on the way to the airshow that it is a bit controversial about having old warbirds doing airshows. There are pros and cons but as this aircraft is originally a Casa from 1950 that they have poured 30.000 hours into converting it into a 109-G4 it feels like one of those aircraft that are OK to "risk" in my book. I guess it will be rebuilt - it will just cost time, cash, sweat and lost opportunities seeing and hearing it in the air while they fix it...

Lets hope the BD605 didn't get too much damage even though it looked like it was running when it struck the ground. Did they really have wooden blades back in the days on the 109 by the way? I see images of wartime 109's with bent blades in the back of my head... 

Edited by mazex

Did they really have wooden blades back in the days on the 109 by the way? I see images of wartime 109's with bent blades in the back of my head... 

At least G6 prop was light alloy (vdm 9-12087v1), i'm pretty sure G4's use same version.

Edited by DB605

S!

What an unfortunate event :( But luckily the pilot suffered no injuries and the plane does not look that much damaged except the propellor. I bet the propellor is wooden as there are not many original ones around. Cheaper to make a wooden prop than find an original that can possibly not be repaired if damaged heavily.

Here is a clip I found where you can hear it get the engine failure at the show today (after a rather high G turn) - and see him steer away from the airfield to land in a field instead... It's from someone a bit outside the actual airfield so it gets a better view of it than from the paying audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTs7G9teJ-M

Edited by mazex