BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 28

Hello Everyone,

I know that every Friday you're waiting for news about development. But this time Albert aka Loft is preparing for a business trip to Germany which brings him to GamesCom-2013 where he will koin Jason to show BOS to the press and a few lucky community members. It’s always a fun time to show BOS to more people.

As a dessert for today we offer you the recording of our first live stream. Now you can watch it without any technical connectivity issues that always happen during a live internet broadcast. And of course, the English subtitles have been added so our comments are now easier to understand.

And thanks again to the guys who helped us to set everything up properly for the stream and to all who joined Jason on TeamSpeak during the broadcast.

Full news

You can ask new questions in this thread

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

• Upvote 4

Nice, thank you! Now I could really enjoy he show!

Will Loft and Jason also show BoS with the Rift? Did you have enough time to prepare it?

In the stream, the pilot was holding a flare gun (even when cockpit was closed). Can you toggle the flare gun with keys/UI or will the pilot be like this all the time?

Thanks for the subtitles. This sim is already looking great and they haven't even added all the FX yet! Can't wait until we see those.

I notice in video your asking if this live stream would be better then usual friday updates. To me this live stream is better than usual friday updates, and it would be good for next live stream if some/more questions from forums or chat would be answered during the video show.

only problem i see will be if your talking on live stream on Friday on Russian then we would have to wait probably until Monday for subtitles, and if your talking in live strem on English then Russians would have to wait for subtitles  :( , but as game is Russian i could live with live stream be on Russian and we get subtitles later.

or maybe hire some lovely Babushka to type and translate fast during the live stream :)

Edited by Yaklover

All i can say is Wow the game looks and sounds great at this early stage the stalls look more like proper stall and not like the generic stalls in il2 i imagine each plane will have it's own characteristics in the stall the other thing that impressed me was the way the vibration of the plane just after start-up but once in the air it was smooth.

Keep up the good work S~

Outstanding thankyou very much! a great way to show developments, but I do also enjoy the answers to question section as well.

"or maybe hire some lovely Babushka to type and translate fast during the live stream :)" Yaklover, I guess you like them older, as far as I know Babushka

is Grandmother :cool: any way this is looking GREAT

Cheers Dakpilot

Thanks for this interesting video, team.

And great that you added subs, so we can hear about different aspects of the upcoming game

"or maybe hire some lovely Babushka to type and translate fast during the live stream :)" Yaklover, I guess you like them older, as far as I know Babushka

is Grandmother :cool: any way this is looking GREAT

:biggrin:

Completely awesome!  Thanks so much.  This is a great way to demo the sim.  Hard to know where to start...  To put in context: Although I've wanted to play ROF, I've never had the time but could tell this team was "serious"...  Some comments:

1) I really enjoyed "hearing" the developers speak.  I don't speak Russian, so the English subtitles helped immensely.  I really like to read the commentary related to what I was seeing real-time.  I like the way even the small graphical glitch was pointed out.  Good to see such honesty and openess.  It was such a minor thing too...  I love to hear about the mechanics of the sim and the problems and triumphs during development.  It is really amazing when you think about it...  Creating a virtual simulated world using 1s and 0s...  Love to hear about the programming as much as the planes...  I realize I'm probably in the minority.

2)  I  Loved the vibration at at startup and low RPM when the engine is running "rough"...  This is one of the first things I noices each time I've flown in a WWII era plane (and other planes as well)...  The vibration of the cockpit...  It's definitely something that is easily noticed as missing when it's not there...  So glad you guys have this in there.  Very immersive.

3)  The sounds are incredible.  Kudos to the sound engineer.  I believe sounds may be as much (if not more) necessary for immersion than graphics.  I think the mind tends to fill in any graphical gaps, but sounds are not as easy for the mind to "bridge"...  What I heard sounded fantastic and all the subtlties are there.  Very immersive.  Great work...  I hope nuances like wind AFTER a crash landing will be included...  That feeling of desolation on the Russian Plattes after a crash landing, opeing the canopy and hearing the cold wind sweep across the plains after opening the canopy would be so cool...  Engine sounds seemed spot on realistic with multiple "note" to capture the full effect.  Very impressive!  Also hope to see and HEAR a very violent first person bail sequence as I step out into an airstream with deafening sounds in my ears. 

4)  The cockpit looked great.  I had little interest in the Lagg prior to seeing the video.  Now it's something I'd like to fly.  The cockpit looked very nice.  It was great to see there was no "fisheye" when panning around with the TIR...  Again, I loved the cockpit vibe on startup...  Very realistic.  Though I'm an american, I've always been partial to foreign aircraft cockpits...  They just seem to look better in a simulated world...  More "mechanical", angular, and raw...  P-51, Corsair, etc look too "polished" and comfortable like I should be sipping lemonade while flying (P-39 looks more "rough" and I like it)...  Can't wait to fly that plane someday too. 

5)  Graphics...  Even without the "effects", this is already a great looking sim with a solid base.  The atmospherics are fantastic...  From the reflextivity of the snow to the haze on the horizon...  It all looks very "cold"...  I can feel it...  This is the successor to IL-2 I've been waiting for...  It's exacly what I would imagine the successor to be graphically...  Definitely next generation in every way from lighting to complexity.  The fact that the FPS are smooth and fluid is so critical and that's been nailed...  All the photo-real graphics in the world are worthless if there are any FPS hiccups...  solid FPS makes for a solid sim. The snow textures are very believable.  The sky looks great.  I'd like to see some flying next to and through clouds... My biggest complaint about RPF from what I saw in screenshots were that the clouds were too cartoony.  From what I've seen in BOS, the clouds appear to be greatly improved.  Nice work.

6)  FM...  Loved the stall behavior...  Nice work there...  The landing looked very believable too, the way the plane settled in as the nose was raised transitioning into a high angle of attack...  For being such a heavy, underpowered plane, the Lagg seemed to climb "up and out" much faster than expected...  Representation of speeds is very believable and seems properly scaled.

7)  Did I mention the sounds?  :)

8)  The video format is great.  Not sure I'm sold on the Live aspect of it but maybe ok if the kinks get worked out...  For the future, here's some ideas to make the whole experience that much better --  especially for the non-Russian speaking folks...

A.) Make the plane sounds about 5X louder than the developers voices...  The voices are good to hear in the background and help the written dialogue (with voice intonations, laughing, etc...)  It helps make what's written easier to understand quickly (even though I understand none of the Russian).  I agree with Loft, it's important to hear the sounds!  Make these the forefront at least for the non-russian viewers...

B.) Make the red bar on the bottom much smaller for more useable screen area and so the translation text is more readable (not clobbering over the bar)...

C.)  If the live version will be jerky, I'd rather give up this to see smooth video that's not live.  People may interpret freezes as issues with the sim which is obviously false negative publicity... 

In summary, long videos with deveeloper commentary is one of the best ways to market to a flight simulation crowd...  GREAT JOB so far.  I'm really looking forward to what this sim series will bring to the table!

Edited by Caveman
  • Upvote 3

have you seen the videos of Loft teaching the benefits of this new Sim in a pub / bar / whatever? (lighting, vehicles, damage models, etc.). 

Search ""loft" il2" on youtube ;)

Caveman, great posting. Excellent points on the sounds during and after bailout.

What a great way to get to know the team and to see the latest from the game's development.  Really well done.

have you seen the videos of Loft teaching the benefits of this new Sim in a pub / bar / whatever? (lighting, vehicles, damage models, etc.). 

Search ""loft" il2" on youtube ;)

Or simply check this ;)

Really well done!

That was a great way to showcase the sim and the Lagg, for me i would like to see more of these, im not bothered about a english spoken version, quite happy with english subs, in fact hearing Loft and Zak is better than having somebody else speak for them.

Loved pretty much everything, though the sound was to me the most impressive feature on show.

More please.

Edited by Furbs

Wow! I love the vibrations and shacking, looks really immersion. Maybe some sort of hybrid dev blog with stream and some short notes.

Looks like this Sim is going to be a Good success, or almost is Getting that feel for everyone

Edited by .-RDS-.Manu_vc

Watching the stream was nice. But with the subtitles its just great. Very good info and impatience raising :)

Loft and Zak, some more in-depth comments and positive criticism of your HIPSTER live stream :-)

(BTW, I work as an interpreter at the EU institutions and have a lot of experience with interpretation, live streaming, subtitling, etc...)

1) The live stream format is excellent for transmitting info about your project. It is intimate and viewers really get the feel of being invited into the personal sphere of the development team. I think you will see that whatever you present will be received well by fans, without the usual acerbic and aggressive, non-constructive comments. This is because it is much easier to be aggressive towards an impersonal blog text than towards a couple of guys talking to you. So, the personal format is very good in several ways: it makes viewers really feel "welcomed behind the scenes". And it can help deflect hostility, by showing you are human beings. Of course the streams should be youtubed, which will give them many more viewers: watching them later gives exactly the same positive benefits as watching them live.

2) The image format is very good, except for the streamer in the bottom. I am pretty sure it is superfluous, since those watching the stream already know what they see. Also, it clashes quite badly (visually) with the subtitles, which always should have a calm background. Maybe have a steady headline text in the top of the screen. 

3) Keeping your commentary in Russian will be absolutely fine. You are obviously better Russian than English-speakers, even though your English is very good. There is always a fluency and immediacy in one´s mother tongue, that you cannot have when you speak a foreign language, so - if you are cool with keeping on doing the big job of subtitling - then it is perfectly fine to continue in Russian, also in the future. There is nothing bad about reminding people that you are Russian developers either: I think a lot of viewers actualy find it cool!

4) The subtitles are just excellent: kudos to the person in your team doing them! Very good level of English. Only slight comment: it isn´t necessary to keep showing who the speaker is in every line ("Loft:", "Zak:"). You can just do it whenever the speaker changes. The black border on the white letters could be a little bit thicker, for readability, but I don't know if youtube allows that. You should maybe consider to have the subtitles hardcoded in the video file, since all the many people who watch on mobile devices cannot see the youtube subtitles and annotations. 

5) Your open attitude, showing what you are actually working with and showing the imperfections and bugs (along with all the good stuff) is very positive. It will surely benifit you later on, because people have a much higher acceptance of bugs when they know the team is aware of them and will get to them at some point, if resources allow it. It will make more people realise that in the real world of software development not everything can have top priority. Finally, when people hear others speak live they can always detect bullshit, so that is another reason why your open, honest attitude is best.

- All in all, a highly succesful experiment in 21st century communications, well done! :-D     

Edited by Freycinet
  • Upvote 2

Absolutely outstanding. 

I know next to nothing about the LaGG's particular flight characteristics (other than it was a stall/spinner), but most aircraft (with big motors) during a straight ahead stall tend to drop the wing behind the upgoing propeller blade.  This is because the spiralling propwash at that wing root is resulting in a higher than normal angle of attack (thus the first part of wing to exceed critical AoA) and prop torque, and the opposite on the other wing (this effect is magnified by adding power), so it was odd to me that it dropped hard to the left both times.  The 109, with a right hand prop rotation, was a polar opposite beast, ever so gently hinting at dropping the left wing in a power off stall.

I can hardly wait.  This is going to be so much fun. 

I am impressed by the in-flight cockpit footage.

Edited by falstaff

Great job on this video diary.. the best move you could have done... gives a completely new impression of both the sim and the team... and the sim looks, sounds and.. feels... great.  be aware though--this gives me really high expectations... :)

come on early alpha... I am ready!

About this new video presentation:

Very well done guys! The only annoying thing about this otherwise excellent video are the overlapping subs and scroll bar, as written in other posts.

And as other have also said it's ok to hear Russian with subtitles, as long as the translations are good no reason for you to use another language.

I wouldn't mind shorter videos in the future though, go to the real, new stuff  and showcase it.

Deciding to watch 10 minutes is a no brainer, for 34 you need to be really convinced about it, making them shorter could widen the potential audience (I know a few of the forum readers won't probably agree and just can't get enough!).

Now with feedback about the simulator:

- do you have any engine management check implemented already?

I find rather strange that you can start up your engine and go full power for take off in 10 seconds without damaging it (mostly in a cold Russian winter!)

Keep up the good work! (^^)/~

I find rather strange that you can start up your engine and go full power for take off in 10 seconds without damaging it (mostly in a cold Russian winter!)

Same here. 

I'd like to see some combat and damage models next time ?  Tracer effects, etc... would be good to see.

FM, DM, CEM  :)

I also noticed this, I hope it will be properly done in the final version. Otherwise, this looks amazing. The sounds are beautiful and the cockpit vibration very realistic. BoS could really save the name of the IL-2 series.

Thank you Guys for going through the trouble of doing this.

It was excellent and exactly what I would like to see in anticipation of the release.

Well done. Very much appreciated :)

Very nice way to present an update, and the subtitles were sufficient. I don't so much need to hear it in English if I can read the subs, it's probably easier for Zak and Loft to continue to speak Russian.

All in all, for this stage of development, it's very impressive! This is going to be a great sim, I'm glad I pre-ordered.

Keep up the good work! (^^)/~

ROF has this, you can sit and wait for your engine to warm up, or you can select a pre-warmed engine. Hopefully we'll have the same option in BOS.