Imur6

Best lubricant for Joystick?

Hi folks,

I have X-55 rhino, and sometimes, it squeak when I move stick very slowly.

I found root cause of this noise, and need to apply some lubricant to stick.  

So, what kind of lubricant can i use? the area that I plan to apply is plastic. looks like I need lubricant that can use to plastic.

what about this? please let me know if you know better stuff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIN-ETSU-SILICONE-GREASE-G-40M-100-FOR-LUBRICATING-SANWA-SEIMITSU-JOYSTICKS-/390848546565?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item5b00638705

Mobil Grease 28

http://www.pilotshop.com/catalog/eppages/mobilGrease28.php?gclid=CILX99_XvcACFUVo7AodPAUAYQ

Description and pricing. You'll get a large tube made for grease guns that'll last you a life time.

Its an aviation grade grease that reduces wear and creates a low friction enviorment.

I personally used it in my HOTAS Cougar and it made it very smooth & lighter to use. For those who know, the Cougar is awfully stiff out of the box. I have no problem using it with a single finger, if need be now, without the base lifting while cycling through the full range of axis.

This grease is safe to use on plastic. I also used it throttle side of my HOTAS where the "bearings" are nothing but plastic.

Edited by =SIM=skunkling

I used engine break in grease because that's what I had laying around. I'm sure any lithium based grease will do you just fine. No need for fancy stuff.

I use graphite powder.

I too used thread lubricant / graphite powder on the 'steps' of my throttle. Reason was that it was metal on metal sliding action.

I need to try something else on my x55. Iused the WD solution and it only lasted about 2 weeks. Ill pick up some lithium based product next.

I've ordered lubricant that I mentioned above

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIN-ETSU-SILICONE-GREASE-G-40M-100-FOR-LUBRICATING-SANWA-SEIMITSU-JOYSTICKS-/390848546565?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item5b00638705

and it works fine!! Do not use WD40 and Super lube spray to the stick shaft. (Between shaft and disc that spring put on) It cause squeak :-(

I used PTFE Lube.  It is dry, so doesn't attract dirt or dust and lasts for a very long time.  I just put a little around the top of the spring on my X-55 and all was well.

You can get it at pretty much any auto parts or home supply store, for example:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-9-3-oz-Dry-Lube-with-PTFE-Lubricant-16-TDL/202532762

There are other brands as well.

I think mine came with a warning that it starts to break down around 400 degrees or so and emits toxic fumes, so if you don't subscribe to the gentle control inputs school of thought and you play really, really, REALLY hard...

Edited by HeavyCavalrySgt

I found the perfect lube for the X55. DuPont Silicone Teflon lube. No powder build up and safe for plastic. It's been a few weeks since I applied it and working great.

I bought a lithium grease that supposedly doesn't harm plastics, anyone has any experience in this? I to apply it on the exterior ball of the Thrustmaster T16000 M stick.

No experience with it, but silicon is the standard grease. It's non-conductive, doesn't eat plastic or metal and lubricates well.

• Upvote 1

I bought a lithium grease that supposedly doesn't harm plastics, anyone has any experience in this? I to apply it on the exterior ball of the Thrustmaster T16000 M stick.

For the "ball" gimbal of T.16000M or Warthog the "best" option is the expensive Nyogel 767A due their dampening effect.

Besides expensive is difficult to find.

Similar grease is used in

gimbal. Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1

For the "ball" gimbal of T.16000M or Warthog the "best" option is the expensive Nyogel 767A due their dampening effect.

Besides expensive is difficult to find.

Similar grease is used in

gimbal.

Thank you, that's a nice video. For now I'm just hoping to know if it will corrode the plastic or damage it in any way.

Thank you, that's a nice video. For now I'm just hoping to know if it will corrode the plastic or damage it in any way.

Don't know about the 767A, but with Lithium compounds you need to be careful. They have different qualities and grades, and although the gimbal in the 'Hog probably could go with EP 2 grade (fairly thick, usually used for ball bearings and other automotive components. The video definitely shows a much less viscous grade) one need to be choosy with the quality of it or it might have too high contents of compounds that'll degrade plastics.

• Upvote 1

I used a teflon based solution someone posted a while back. I don't recommend it, after a while it gets a bit stuck.

• Upvote 1

Plastic gimbals graphite

Metal gimbals and this depends on what’s it’s attached to

White grease, or gun oil.

https://www.finditparts.com/products/2489272/lucas-oil-10533?srcid=CHL01SCL010-Npla-Dmdt-Gusa-Svbr-Mmuu-K2489272-L146&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsZHPBRClARIsAC-VMPDNMBdiMF2lub-JJEkAIZ0fGZpzpd0z8AVKWI1D1pKebF1cEWd846UaAm4GEALw_wcB

Edited by 71st_AH_Mastiff

Chapstick.

Perfect for de-gripping that miserable spring "dome" Saitek sticks have.  It's gooey enough to make a thick stable coating, and greasy just as needed to remove stiction from even small movements.

I find it better than more liquid lubricants, those tend to get rubbed off far quicker, they're also much messier to handle than a convenient waxy goo.

Plus, it makes your joystick smell nice.

Edited by 19//Moach

I used Molykote 44 medium. Best grease on the market atm.

http://www.werkenmetmerken.nl/nl/molykote_44_medium_siliconenvet/p/11094

Thanks for the suggestion because I was looking for a lubricant as well. Doing a quick research, I have the option to buy both the Molykote 44 and 33. The question is: by the specifications the 44 seems to be for heavy / hot machinery, like ovens, hair dryers and such. The 33 seems to be for day to day use like fan bearings and stuff. Is there really a difference or does not matter which one I buy?

Thanks for the suggestion because I was looking for a lubricant as well. Doing a quick research, I have the option to buy both the Molykote 44 and 33. The question is: by the specifications the 44 seems to be for heavy / hot machinery, like ovens, hair dryers and such. The 33 seems to be for day to day use like fan bearings and stuff. Is there really a difference or does not matter which one I buy?

Guess the 44 is more sticky in normal temperature situations.

Guess the 44 is more sticky in normal temperature situations.

Yeah, probably. I'm reading they are similar. 

Chapstick.

Perfect for de-gripping that miserable spring "dome" Saitek sticks have. It's gooey enough to make a thick stable coating, and greasy just as needed to remove stiction from even small movements.

I find it better than more liquid lubricants, those tend to get rubbed off far quicker, they're also much messier to handle than a convenient waxy goo.

First i thought you were joking.

Then i thought about it and it made sense.

Then i used it.

It really works!!!!

I tried a lot of things on my X52 Pro. Bicycle oil, wd-40, grease, silicone grease. Some of them made it better for some time but eventually all of these made it worse.

I was on the edge of getting a new stick but finally I found some threads on Nyogel damping grease. I ordered  this: NyoGel 774VH-MS. Quite expensive and it appears that my grand-grand children will still be using this one 100g tube I got, but it's wonderful.

You need just a ridiculously tiny amount and it lasts for months. It gives a very smooth and a bit hydraulic feeling to the stick.

Another one here that can sing the praises of Nyogel damping grease, 767A in my case.  I read about it on a number of forums and thought I would try it on my Cougar throttle which for the past 14 years has defied by best efforts to eradicate its stiction.  The Nyogel was stupidly expensive, as I also had to buy a 100g tube (about 1000x more than is needed), but I can honestly say it is money well spent.  I now have a beautifully smooth throttle, which as others have highlighted, almost feels as if it is hydraulically damped.  I'm now searching for other items in the house that would benefit from an application - I've already used it on a few vary-focal LED torches and have lined up my recently USB converted Suncom F-15 throttle.  

Chapstick.

Perfect for de-gripping that miserable spring "dome" Saitek sticks have. It's gooey enough to make a thick stable coating, and greasy just as needed to remove stiction from even small movements.

Would this be okay to use on the t16000 gimbal?

Edited by Mcdaddy

I tried a lot of things on my X52 Pro. Bicycle oil, wd-40, grease, silicone grease. Some of them made it better for some time but eventually all of these made it worse.

I was on the edge of getting a new stick but finally I found some threads on Nyogel damping grease.

Yes, more than lubrication joystick gimbal need dampening and Nyogel is what provide this more efficiently, but most people focus only in lubrication.