Juri_JS

Ivan's War scripted campaign

I am proud to present my first scripted campaign for Il-2 BoS. In 20 mission the player will take the role of a Yak-1 pilot during the battle of Stalingrad in the time between early July 1942 and early January 1943. The background story is fictional, but some of the missions are loosely based on real events.

Download link:
http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/download.php?view.940

The primary objective in all missions is to stay alive and land back at the player's home airfield. You don't have to shot down a certain number of planes per mission to advance in the campaign.

There are a number of random elements in the missions, for example the type and numbers of enemy planes in some missions can vary and some events are triggered by achieving certain results. I hope this will increase the replayability of the campaign.

The campaign is available in English, German and Russian.

Don't hide the entire HUD (h-key) when flying the missions, because this will also disable the messages you receive during the flight and the screens at the beginning and end of a mission!

If you find any bugs please report them here, so they can be fixed in the next version.

Known problems:
The "SKIP" button doesn't always work. If that happens use ESC to end the mission or wait till the mission ends automatically.

Installation:
Extract the folder 'data' from the 'Ivans_War.zip' file into the IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad main directory. This will put the missions into the 'IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\Campaigns\Ivan's War - by Juri_JS' folder and the skins into the correct sub-folders in the 'IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\skins\' directory.

Important - If you had an older version of the campaign installed and you would like to play the Russian or Spanish version, first delete the 'ctreecache' file in the 'IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data' folder before launching the game! This will update the mission list in the campaign menu and you will see the correct Russian or Spanish mission names. A new ctreecache file will be created automatically.

post-348-0-70651900-1499328564_thumb.jpg

post-348-0-19054300-1499328589_thumb.jpg

post-348-0-90823800-1499328613_thumb.jpg

Edited by Juri_JS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 26

Yes I might test this out, I never really flown the YAK before, except one time I tested the YAK 1 B . Sounds like fun

Gonna grab this when I get home from work. Thank you Juri. Your effort is appreciated. :)

Edit:  works great!  Thank you!

Edited by Beazil

Gonna grab this when I get home from work. Thank you Juri. Your effort is appreciated. :)

Same here.  Thanks Juri.  Like LuseKofte, I have not flown the Yak-1, except to test the 1B, sounds like a great challenge.

I have now flown the first 2 missions.  Must say that the Yak-1 is a nimble plane.  I was able to take down 2 (I each mission) Me110's using the Yak's maneuverability for slashing attacks. 

Looking forward to the rest of the campaign. :)

Glad You finaly finished the work on Your campaign. Looking forward to try the first mission this evening.

Thanks for the comments guys. If anyone has interesting screenshots from the campaign, feel free to post them here.

Thank you Juri.

Great to see more and more of this stuff coming into the sim. :good:

Edit:

It starts to look nicer and nicer:

post-675-0-54242000-1483697938_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bando
  • Upvote 1

Had not really flown the Yak until your campaign Juri.

Quite a stable a/c and very easy to fly.

The specs say to lean mixture around 3 to 4 km. The more I lean it the slower I go and the further away I lag behind the rest of my flight. What mixture settings are you using for the missions above 4 km?

Good job by the way, I am really enjoying the missions.

Edited by pilotpierre

I can't really help with the question. When I test my campaign missions I am doing it mostly without complex engine management. If it is really too hard to keep pace with the rest of the flight at high altitude when complex engine management is used, I might have to lower the speed of the AI planes in the mission.

Edited by Juri_JS

Here is the Russian translation of the campaign files by CAHEK and DED-olaff.

Place the files in this folder:
IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\Campaigns\Ivans War - by Juri_JS

Russian Translation.zip

I seem to recall that in the game you don't really gain anything by leaning your mixture. I don't recall the fighter the person used to test, it made have been the yak or the lagg. What might matter is the rpm if you are already going fast reducing the rpm might give you some additional kph, but not so much it would make a big difference. Closing rads is a pretty big factor, if your temps allow it.

This was tested in June, patches might have changed things.  Who knows.  

You have to really go high up before mixture starts to matter.  

Just tested the yak's mixture.  (I remember the Lagg not being a big difference)  Test done at 6000 meters.  

100 mix - 395 km/h

95 mix - 397 km/h

90 mix - 399 km/h

85 mix - 401 km/h

80 mix - 403 km/h

75 mix - 405 km/h

70 mix - 406 km/h

65 mix - 407 km/h

60 mix - 407 km/h

55 mix - 406 km/h

50 mix - 405 km/h

It seems you can pick up about 12 km/h by lowering the mixture.  That's a difference worth paying attention to.  The weird thing is that both the RPMs and the MP stay constant.  You would think you would see a difference in both, increasing and decreasing.  

Makes me want to test the lagg again.  If the multiplayer is dead again ( probably will be), I will test the lagg later tonight.   :salute:    

This looks like an excellent way to get into the Yak, a plane I have hardly touched so far.   Thank you!

MISSION 1

on the patrol:
16jnbky.jpg

enemy approaching:
t6e9nl.jpg

attack:
28jck7m.jpg

target destroyed:
2vbpyzs.jpg

landing safely at home AF - mission successful :)

33lfaqx.jpg

Edited by ST_ami7b5
  • Upvote 1

Had not really flown the Yak until your campaign Juri.

Quite a stable a/c and very easy to fly.

The specs say to lean mixture around 3 to 4 km. The more I lean it the slower I go and the further away I lag behind the rest of my flight. What mixture settings are you using for the missions above 4 km?

Good job by the way, I am really enjoying the missions.

If you are not familiar with the Yak: remember that the supercharger changeover is manual, recommended at 2,300m: I was struggling to keep up on first mission until I remembered, after that no great problem.  

If you are not familiar with the Yak: remember that the supercharger changeover is manual, recommended at 2,300m: I was struggling to keep up on first mission until I remembered, after that no great problem.

Ah, good point. Been enjoying the campaign so far. The extra information on flying the yak is much appreciated. Especially regarding the various settings needed at differing alts for this plane. S!

Ah, good point. Been enjoying the campaign so far. The extra information on flying the yak is much appreciated. Especially regarding the various settings needed at differing alts for this plane. S!

IIRC everything you need to know is in the specifications tab of the plane in the pre-mission page: problem is remembering it in flight! It is easy to be spoiled by the all-automatic German planes. RPM and MP easy enough to manage, but my first flight out I forgot to keep monitoring my temps and adjusting oil and water coolers. Too used to the cold Stalingrad winter maps. Cough, splutter, forced land. :)

Last time in mission 3 (?) I get a bomber but take a hit in the wing - fuel leak. Cruise back to base, final approach, F+G down, trimmed nose up, descending nicely lined up: 100m out fuel runs out! Cannot get the nose down fast enough - Splat. 

This looks like an excellent way to get into the Yak, a plane I have hardly touched so far. Thank you!

Same with me.  :biggrin:  Thx, Juri, this is really enjoyable. :)

Edited by JG4_dingsda

Completed the first mission, started the second then quit the game. When I ran the game again after some time, my progress was lost....

Completed the first mission, started the second then quit the game. When I ran the game again after some time, my progress was lost....

I've never encountered this problem. Did you mistakenly click on "Begin anew"?

I am up to mission number 6 - just completed recce mission - and I think the mission progression is excellent for someone who is fairly new to the game or - like me - somewhat rusty after being "grounded" for a long period.

The only thing I am not entirely happy about is having to refly a failed mission: I do not mind when I have obviously messed it up and got myself killed, but it is a little annoying if you have to do a forced landing in your own territory, for instance. I expect there are limits with what is possible in mission design.  

Having said that it does force you to fly to live - avoid fighting if not required by the mission, stick with the bombers rather than chase enemy fighters, etc, especially if you are not that good and the likely result of you fighting with 4 AI 109F-4s is not good! 

Comes with a big recommend - it may inspire me to make a movie.

I've never encountered this problem. Did you mistakenly click on "Begin anew"?

It is working fine now, only happened the first time. Perhaps I did click begin anew.

Thanks for fun packed missions. 

Edited by Bhoot

I noticed a glitch in mission 2. I landed at Karpovka, but the mission failed anyway. The only thing I can think caused this is that I bent a propeller blade on landing, but the same thing happened in 10DoA, and I still finished the mission, so it has to be a glitch.

I noticed a glitch in mission 2. I landed at Karpovka, but the mission failed anyway. The only thing I can think caused this is that I bent a propeller blade on landing, but the same thing happened in 10DoA, and I still finished the mission, so it has to be a glitch.

It's caused by the bend propeller blade. Even a minor damage during landing will make the missions fail. There is nothing I can do about it. Ten Days of Autumn uses slightly different victory conditions, so it's not really comparable.

What are these differen,t victory conditions?

Is there a way to consider the missions is "successful", even if the pilot is wounded, bailed or the plane ditched?

What are these differen,t victory conditions?

Is there a way to consider the missions is "successful", even if the pilot is wounded, bailed or the plane ditched?

A mission designer can trigger a mission success with any kind of event. Even the death of the player. Edited by Juri_JS

Enjoying it so far. My main observation is that it feels quite hard to keep pace with the other planes, they seem to change speed between 100% and 60% frequently without telling you.

This brings me to my other point which also affected the cold winter campaign. There is very little chatter from the commander or the other wingman. Is there a reason for this? I remember them being more vocal in the normal campaign (if not saying anything particularly useful). It gets a bit sterile flying for 30 minutes and not hearing anything but the engine. Cold winter tried to address those by adding a few text messages every now and then.

The additional radio chatter in the standard campaign comes from communication with forward observers on the ground, which I don't use in my scripted campaign, because it wouldn't be very realistic for the VVS at this stage of the war.

If anyone has not yet noticed, you do not have to land at your own airfield. Any successful landing at a friendly field (at least one that is populated) will give mission success, as I just found out to my great relief after a particularly hairy encounter with 109s.