Han

Developer Diary, Part 133 - Discussion

Hello Pilots!

In parallel to Battle of Kuban development, we continue our work on new Collector Planes - Yak-1b (series 127) and Ju-52 3mg4e. Their 3D models will be finished in the next few weeks and work on their physics models is already underway.
The Ju-52 controls are somewhat unusual
Although from the famous Yak family of fighters, the Yak-1b (series 127) required almost a complete overhaul of the existing Yak-1 (series 69) 3D model. From the development point of view this is almost a completely new aircraft. 
Here are some WIP screenshots for more visual impression:

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 8

wow wow wow! The Ju-52 cockpit looks absolutely amazing. I can't wait to fly both of these birds

The Yak-1b sounds rather light on ammo, but that's worth it for the UBS.

I like how the Yaks are all going to be good at different things. The Yak-1 is good at filling the air with rounds from it's two ShKASes, the Yak-1b will give it's pilots more situational awareness with the bubble canopy, and the Yak-7B will pack the biggest punch with it's ShVAK and two UBSes.

I can see a Flight with one each dominating the opposition in MP.

Edited by Cybermat47

The Junkers interior is excellent Han, really looking forward to exploring it on release, congratulations to your modeling team on such outstanding work. :cool:

I live in hope that my own 3d experiments will one day help me make something as good as that interior but I am not holding my breath waiting. :cray:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. :biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug

Thanks for the update, Han. Nice to get an idea of how far along you guys are on those aircraft.

The ju52 looked photorealistic (on my phone). I had to look twice to make sure it was in-game footage.

Looking great!

• Upvote 2

Nice pictures! Yea, some typos in the Ju-52 (which is allright given it's still WiP). I'll try my best pointing them out.

QF8Ae4Q.jpg

1) "Feuerlochhähne" schould be "Feuerlöschhähne"

2) "Von Hauptbehalten" should be "Von Hauptbehältern"

3) "Shmierstoff" should be "Schmierstoff"

4) "Shmierstoff-Kühler" should be "Schmierstoff-Kühler"

Other than that the cockpit looks great already.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 13

Very nice work! the ju52 cockpit looks great! 

This color panel was usual? I found photos which have different colors

Thanks for the good news - really looking forward to fly this big ugly beauty with her unique features!

Oh, and the yak looks cool too.

:salute:

Flo

It may just be that the pictures of the game cockpit don't have environmental lighting yet.

• Upvote 1

Nice pictures! Yea, some typos in the Ju-52 (which is allright given it's still WiP). I'll try my best pointing them out.

1) "Ferlochhähne" schould be "Feuerlöschhähne"

2) "Von Hauptbehalten" should be "Von Hauptbehältern"

3) "Shmierstoff" should be "Schmierstoff"

4) "Shmierstoff-Kühler" should be "Schmierstoff-Kühler"

Other than that the cockpit looks great already.

Thanks a lot! Fixed! :)

• Upvote 19

No, it is correct - RLM02.

• Upvote 1

Great to see, that the extra goodies are coming along nicely. I love the "bubble top" Yaks, and this might well be the plane that drags me away from my beloved MiG-3 :)

The Ju-52 is just gorgeous. Very interesting details about the controls. I have a feeling, that the Auntie might be too complex for me to fly regularly, but how could I not preorder such an icon of aviation.

And the Yak-1B pit.... Well, it looks nice, but I can't shake the feeling, that we might have a new "bar-controvercy" brewing :unsure:

Anyway, great work as always gents. Keep it up :salute:

Edited by Finkeren

Actually the instrument panel itself should be RLM 66. According to Ken Merrick

By 1938 internal colouring had changed to 02 [aka RLM 02] for all classes of aircraft.

[...]

Only aircraft instrument panels were then painted in dark grey, using lacquer 7107.66 [aka RLM 66]. The same colour also had been used for the exposed face of aircraft instruments, but with a crinkle finish developed by Herbig-Haarhaus from a mixture of phenol formaldehyde resins mixed with 3 to 5 per cent of raw Tung oil.

Luftwaffe camouflage & markings 1933 - 1945 Volume 1 - Appendix B - Page 207

Edited by csThor

Awesome guys, can't wait to try this sim.  (Especially Ju-52.)  Going to need some Requiem time, that's for sure.

What was the purpose of "non-parallel thrust vectors of the wing engines?"  

Ceowulf<><

I believe it was to reduce asymmetric thrust in wing engine out situation

Cheers Dakpilot

Actually the instrument panel itself should be RLM 66. According to Ken Merrick

Luftwaffe camouflage & markings 1933 - 1945 Volume 1 - Appendix B - Page 207

Wondered about that, too, but there seem to have been variants with RLM02 coloured cockpits if the restoration team of the Hugo Junkers Museum in Dessau is to be trusted.

Ju52CockpitMuseumDessau22Sept09.jpg

Awesome guys, can't wait to try this sim.  (Especially Ju-52.)  Going to need some Requiem time, that's for sure.

What was the purpose of "non-parallel thrust vectors of the wing engines?"  

Ceowulf<><

The outer engines were angled a few degrees towards the wingtips to improve handling chracteristics in 2 engined flight by compensating for some of the resulting yaw momentum (the aircraft could fly safely with the center engine + any outer engine running).

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka

Wondered about that, too, but there seem to have been variants with RLM02 coloured cockpits if the restoration team of the Hugo Junkers Museum in Dessau is to be trusted.

Ju52CockpitMuseumDessau22Sept09.jpg

Talked to those guys a couple of times and I'm pretty sure they're trustworthy ;)

Merrick's book is not quite clear on this but there may have been a difference between military and civilian aircraft. I mean there were even two different batches RLM 02 - one for land-based aircraft and one for aircraft operating over the sea (due to the influence of the salt) - for a while. You know us germans and our regulations ;)

Edited by csThor
  • Upvote 1

Will it be possible to control the three engines of the Tante-Ju also with a two throttle-lever system or will a throttle quadrant be mandatory ?

I mean e.g. it would be a possibility to add the two wing engines on one lever and the middle one on the other...?!

The Yak-7b is going to be savage!

To be honest I think the 1 ShVAK and 2 UB is a much better armament than what the La-5 has!

I think so too. Those UBSes have more ammo and still pack a great punch, and the 7b still has a 20mm cannon on the centreline. It's going to slaughter any Bf-109 that gets in it's way!