Photo

Setting up BoS Cockpit view (for head tracking users)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Potenz

Potenz
  • Founder

Posted 31 January 2016 - 17:00

In this little tutorial i will cover a topic that has been brought up many times lately. And it's the proper way to set

up the right in Cockpit position in IL-2 BoS.

1º The standard Cockpit position in BoS is perfectly aligned with the Gunsight, this is done so everybody can aim,

it doesn't matter if you have Head tracking or not, this way new comers with no Head tracking can jump in any

and start flying and fighting.

2º For Head tracking users it seems odd, in some planes the head position seems to be too low, too high, too to the left, etc

also in some Planes this default view Position makes some blind spots at 6, mostly notices in the FW-190 where the armored 

head rest obstruct the 6 o'clock view.

3º So now i will tell you how to set up your view position properly.

_Controls: Del: moves your head position to the left.

End: Moves your head position to the right

Insert: zoom in

End: zoom out

Page up: moves your head position up

Page down: moves your head position down

F10: saves your actual head position

_ First of all launch the game with your head tracking off (if head tracking is on you will not be able to change the pilot's head position)

_ What you want to achieve is a proper pilot head position in cockpit, for that you have to simply go F2, rotate the camera and properly

set it (shift+mouse) in the best position to see the pilot position in cockpit. here are 2 examples.

2016_1_31__16_7_33.jpg

we can clearly see that the pilot in the 190 can see over the leather protection over the instruments panel and also can see the nose to the front and
directly to the leather head rest to the back. so now what we have to do is from inside the cockpit using the page up and
page down keys set the right height for the pilot view.
    From the front view we can see, that the gunsight is off to the right and the Pilot position is centered, so using the Del and End keys, we will set

the pilot head position right between the two bumps over the nose cowling.

With the insert and home keys we will adjust the distance from the gunsight and instruments panel, as we see in the 190 the pilot is very close to the gunsight and instruments panel, we will get this

Default view:
2016_1_31__16_2_56.jpg

Custom view:
2016_1_31__16_5_59.jpg

Don't worry if you can't see the crosshair, when you have to aim through it, you only need to lean forward and to the right a bit in order to aim,
may at first is a bit uncomfortable, but trust me, after a while is totally natural and way more realistic.

after you feel that your cockpit position is what you want, then just hit the F10 to save the pilot's head position. Now next time when you will use your
Head tracking you will have a more natural position, and using the 6DoF it will not be any problem not being able to see anything inside the cockpit or
checking your surrounds looking for enemy contacts or land marks, in contrary this view set will improve it as we can see in the next 2 screenshot where
i'm checking six leaned to the right and we can clearly see that the 6 o'clock view has better panorama. here is a comparison:

Default 6 o'clock:
2016_1_31__16_6_53.jpg

Custom 6 o'clock:
2016_1_31__16_6_15.jpg

So this is it, play as much as you want with your views to get the best out of it.
Hope this helps to everybody out there who are struggling to have a proper 
cockpit view.

Oh i almost forget you can do this for each plane separately, and it will be saved for each of them.

Regs

Potz

Attached Files

Edited by [AoA]Potenz, 02 February 2016 - 00:33.

AMD FX8350, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5, 16gb Hyper Fury X 1866mhz, Zotac GTX970 4gb, Samsung P2770H, Saitek X-52, quadrant and rudders, Trackir 4

#2 Haggart85

Haggart85
  • Founder

Posted 31 January 2016 - 19:09

This is great! Perhaps do it for the other aircraft too? Would be nice to see how the views differ!

#3 Bando

Bando
  • Founder

Posted 31 January 2016 - 20:31

I guess we can figure this out with any and all planes by looking at them from the outside.

But the question is; Are the outside pictures historically correct?

I know from ROF back in the day there was a mod for the correct head position.

Lots of debate over the forum back then.

I got all my "default" head positions changed to what I think is plausible and historically correct.

And btw, you can start the sim with TIR on, just pause it (in my setup I pause TIR with Cntr F9) and setup the view. Then press F10 to save it as the default one and unpause TIR.

System specs:

Spoiler

#4 Potenz

Potenz
  • Founder

Posted 31 January 2016 - 23:16

I guess we can figure this out with any and all planes by looking at them from the outside.

But the question is; Are the outside pictures historically correct?

I know from ROF back in the day there was a mod for the correct head position.

Lots of debate over the forum back then.

I got all my "default" head positions changed to what I think is plausible and historically correct.

And btw, you can start the sim with TIR on, just pause it (in my setup I pause TIR with Cntr F9) and setup the view. Then press F10 to save it as the default one and unpause TIR.

this is not about historically correctness, is just a tutorial to set up the cockpit position.

AMD FX8350, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5, 16gb Hyper Fury X 1866mhz, Zotac GTX970 4gb, Samsung P2770H, Saitek X-52, quadrant and rudders, Trackir 4

#5 Bando

Bando
  • Founder

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:43

Oh, I know Potenz   :)

In the ROF forum that was an issue.

Like I said, I have had my head position in game changed from day 1.

Thanks for sharing.

System specs:

Spoiler

#6 12.OIAE_Stick-95

12.OIAE_Stick-95
  • Founder

Posted 01 February 2016 - 20:11

Not to be picky but it might be better to have this:

Insert: zoom in

End: zoom out

Read as this or something similar:

Insert: Move pilot head forward in cockpit

End: Move pilot head backward in cockpit

I only suggest this as these keys do nothing related to FOV for outside view.  I have seen some confusion on this by newcomers.

You may want to mention the controls for Pilot Head Control zoom in/zoom out which do control the FOV for outside.  If used when setting your default cockpit view these will also be saved when F10 is pressed.

Edited by 12.OIAE_Stick-95, 01 February 2016 - 20:11.

It's only a game...  It's only a game...  It's only a... damn it.

New system 08/16 - i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, GTX1070SC ACX 3.0 8GB, 16GB DDR4 3000MHz, ASUS Z170-A ATX mobo, Windows 10

30284612591_3787866a3c_m.jpg   PACIFIC THEATER  29752931474_6ac9ec5dd3_m.jpg

#7 II/JG17_HerrMurf

II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Founder

Posted 01 February 2016 - 22:30

It seems to be all or nothing for me. I am either head all the way back or head all the way forward. Is there a way to do it incrimentally?

FOV zoom is working fine.

Edit: This is true for all of the commands. I only have Full Left, Full Right, Full In, Full Out, Full Up and Full down. Nothing incrimental.

Edited by [LBS]HerrMurf, 01 February 2016 - 22:37.

If the argument against expanding to the Western Front is simply the Luftwaffe was overwhelmed and defeated then there is absolutely no reason to ever go back to the late war Eastern Front either. 

Falcon NW Talon, Z97 Ranger, Intel i5 4670, 32 gb RAM, nVidia GTX 780ti, Hotas Warthog with 10cm extension, MFG Crosswind, Track ir5, 42" Sharp TV/Monitor 60 hrz, Self designed PVC center mount cockpit, PVC collective for DCS helicopters

#8 12.OIAE_Stick-95

12.OIAE_Stick-95
  • Founder

Posted 01 February 2016 - 22:56

It should be anywhere in between.  I have to use little taps of the keys as it does jump a lot. (left and right are worse for me than front and back)  I wish they would make it more incremental.  I wonder if there is a way to edit a text file that controls this?

Edited by 12.OIAE_Stick-95, 01 February 2016 - 23:00.

New system 08/16 - i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, GTX1070SC ACX 3.0 8GB, 16GB DDR4 3000MHz, ASUS Z170-A ATX mobo, Windows 10

#9 Sokol1

Sokol1
  • Founder

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:04

Probable has changed the camera inertia/speed... making the changes instantaneous.

... guns were too quiet when engine is running and speed is high, and there was no "immersion of fire and metal storm in 2 meters aside of me"

#10 II/JG17_HerrMurf

II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Founder

Posted 02 February 2016 - 20:59

I found a setting I really like, now, anyway. Head all the way back then three clicks zoom on the mouse. I can see all of my instruments and the overall view has really opened up as well. Helps a little in the FW. It is a marked improvement in the 109's.

Took a full day, however, to get used to it from stock in game TiR view which I have been using since EA. Lots of pilot induced errors and augering in.

Edited by [LBS]HerrMurf, 02 February 2016 - 21:04.

If the argument against expanding to the Western Front is simply the Luftwaffe was overwhelmed and defeated then there is absolutely no reason to ever go back to the late war Eastern Front either. 

Falcon NW Talon, Z97 Ranger, Intel i5 4670, 32 gb RAM, nVidia GTX 780ti, Hotas Warthog with 10cm extension, MFG Crosswind, Track ir5, 42" Sharp TV/Monitor 60 hrz, Self designed PVC center mount cockpit, PVC collective for DCS helicopters

#11 Mabroc

Mabroc
  • Founder

Posted 02 February 2016 - 21:31

This is for everyone who has the time to test this tip, the new head position you saved can be shared? I mean it has to be just some lines with different values on a .INI file right?

So would you be kindly enough to post them here?

[AoA]Potenz  [LBS]HerrMurf

Thanks anyway if you don't have time to help my lazy ass ;)

#12 II/JG17_HerrMurf

II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Founder

Posted 02 February 2016 - 21:43

It is just as easy to do it as described above. Potenz explains it very well.

I didn't bother with any left/right or up/down. I just did head full back, +3 zoom on the mouse, and save F10. Make sure you TiR is OFF when doing the initial setup and it has to be done for each individual aircraft.

This is my new G2 view.......................

Attached Files

#13 12.OIAE_Stick-95

12.OIAE_Stick-95
  • Founder

Posted 02 February 2016 - 23:24

Another thing to consider when setting your Snap View to the rear.  While holding down the rear view key (or any view key combo), you can also use Pilot Head Control zoom in/zoom/out to get the FOV you wish and then hit F10 to save.

#14 Potenz

Potenz
  • Founder

Posted 03 February 2016 - 15:54

I want to remember that this is mostly for Head tracking users, i never tested it with snap keys, as i don't fly withe hat/keys.

This is exclusively for head tracking with 6DoF.

@Murf, try setting the height and give it a try, when you can see the cowl the forward FoV is way better

the default height is like being hided behind the instruments panel  :lol:

Edited by [AoA]Potenz, 03 February 2016 - 15:54.

#15 12.OIAE_Stick-95

12.OIAE_Stick-95
  • Founder

Posted 03 February 2016 - 16:20

I want to remember that this is mostly for Head tracking users, i never tested it with snap keys, as i don't fly withe hat/keys.

Understood it is slightly OT.  I may have confused your check six views for snap views.  I do use TrackIR and it useful however to understand that you can use snap views even if using a TrackIR.  It is a quick way to check six, gunsight view, instruments, etc. without changing your TrackIR view direction.  Camera speed and inertia have to be adjusted though.

Your post btw inspired me to review, rethink and change the view in all aircraft.

Cheers!

#16 kestrel79

kestrel79
  • Founder

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:38

Some great info here thanks! 

Curious as to what others use for their favorite cockpit view? I'll have to try the head all the way back, 3 mouse clicks forward. Do you use mouse clicks (FOV) settings to zoom in or out, or actually move the pilot head (del, end, page up, ect keys), or a combination of both? I do use TrackIR. This is very confusing because there are 2 ways to change the zoom in IL2 BoS, you can change the fov of the camera which creates a fisheye effect, or you can actually move the actual head of the pilot. 

I recently got a Warthog Throttle and mapped zoom in and out to my thumb hat switch...anyone else do that and can they share their camera settings? My zoom in and out seems kinda jerky. I guess I just have to keep messing with it.

Intel i5 2500k @ 3.3ghz // Asus P8P67 mobo // 16GB G.Skill RAM // ATi 7950 3GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7

#17 ATAG_dB

ATAG_dB
  • Founder

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:31

I recently got a Warthog Throttle and mapped zoom in and out to my thumb hat switch...anyone else do that and can they share their camera settings? My zoom in and out seems kinda jerky. I guess I just have to keep messing with it.

I did the same and put the zoom in and out on my thumb on the throttle. Be careful that switch is very fragile I had to change it twice, I change it the 4 way switch where the left index is on the throttle, it is a more sturdy button

:)     

#18 Aardvark892

Aardvark892

Posted 26 February 2017 - 00:47

Hi All!

I seem to be having difficulty with snap views, and this topic seems like the right place to ask.

I also own Rise of Flight, which as you may know, is extremely similar to the BoS series.  From what I've seen online and in tutorial videos, the method of setting a quick view is the same.

1) Make sure TrackIR is off or paused

2) Push and hold the desired key for the quick view, and keep it pressed until over

3) Using the INS/HOME/DEL/END/PgU/PdG keys, set the view exactly where you want it to be when you hit the key you're holding down.

4) Hit F10 to save the quick view

5) In-flight, you can hit the desired key and your viewpoint will snap to that saved view

Am I missing something?  That exact method works just fine for RoF, and seems to work initially in BoS, but my view does not snap back to normal after I release the key.

For example, I have been trying to set one hat key as a button that will snap my view to center on the gunsight, zoomed in a bit.  However, when I release that key, the view stays where it is, as if I had hit F10 without a key being pressed down.  I made sure that my camera settings are for Snap Pan, if that's part of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  This one aspect seems to be the one thing that keeps me away from BoS... I'm such a terrible shooter that I need that gunsight!

Tim

#19 Tag777

Tag777
  • Founder

Posted 01 April 2017 - 15:59

Good day gents!

Excellent topic, it help me a lot.

Nevertheless, I have an issue that I can not resolve so far, that is the range adjust of the gunsight. I used the default keys and also mapped new ones but is no use. I paused my TrackIR and also deactivated it, but I obtained no response when attempt to adjust the gunsight range. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

#20 Boris_CRO

Boris_CRO

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:47

If you mess something just delete the xxx.svc file from the data/luascripts. The name of the file is the name of the plane.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users