Han

Developer Diary, Part 115 - Discussion

Hello everyone!

We hope you enjoyed the release of 1.105 last week. The work continues and today we start the beta-testing of the next version 1.106, which is planned to be released later this month. In addition to Soviet fighter MiG-3 series 24 (for those who pre-purchased Battle of Moscow), it will contain numerous improvements for many systems of the sim. Many of them are multiplayer enhancements, for example, the way the victory is achieved will be changed, the victorious side will recieve more points, etc.

There will be armor modeling improvements for the tanks, including more detailed suspension modeling making possible to hit the side armor of a tank directly, between its wheels. Pz III will benefit from additional protection granted by the spare track attached to the front hull.

We should also mention that today, thanks to efforts of Jason, his friend David and the DED team the new multiplayer server is now available in the US: American eagles 1cgs official. It is similar to european DED server which is rather popular among the players. Big thanks to them!

Of course, the work on the Moscow map and the rest of the new aircraft for Battle of Moscow (Bf 109 F-2, IL-2 mod.41 and Pe-2 ser. 35) continues, we'll tell you more in the next developer diary. And now we present you a new short video showing one of the MiG-3 first flights:

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 19

Nice plane. I am REALLY eager to hear how it performs at diffrent heights.

• Upvote 1

It's even uglier than the screenshots made out.  Bring on the F2!

von Tom

Coolest plane after the I-16 . Dont understand the 109 fan´s at all. The 109 F2 had weaknesses in its construction, unexplained crashes revealed themselves after a time to be the wing tearing off under maneuvering. The MIG 3 never had a success due to the altitude most air battles in the east was fought. Slightly under armed it followed the Red Army doctrine of as light as possible. It should be interesting to see if we can make something out of it at altitude

Hope you are happy Finkeren :)

Probably pinkie-happy ;)

At least that's what I am :biggrin:

Now we just need an update with the flyable MiG... :)

Of course, the work on the Moscow map and the rest of the new aircraft for Battle of Moscow (Bf 109 F-2, IL-2 mod.41 and Pe-2 ser. 35) continues, we'll tell you more in the next developer diary. And now we present you a new short video showing one of the MiG-3 first flights:

what about the Ju-88? 

• Upvote 1

what about the Ju-88?

We've already seen screens of the Ju-88! ;)

When certain people here the sound of that engine they will be running to the toilet to lock themselves in for a while...........................

Thanks for the news!

MiG-3 is really nice looking plane. I`ve always liked the appearance of it. 

3D looks amazing, especially @1:30 where all the different surfaces pop out. Very realistic! @:45 the revving and the subtle pull of the AC weight looked real. Sound is nice, and I liked how the landing light flare was done. I didn't much care for the pilot animations though, seems kinda like what you guys did in RoF. And there didn't seem to be one when the canopy closed. Start-up particle effects seemed a little generic, and the particle effects for the ground dust and ground furrows seem really dark relative to the lite sand ground color. Also, the wheels seemed to be coming off the ground strangely at times. Would love to see you guys try slip steam physics for the grass and camo netting. Keep going!!  

Sexy MiG-3...I like. Great DD.

Have a nice weekend all.

Thanks for the update.

The new plane looks great, I don't know too much about the Mig but look forward to giving it a whirl.

Cheers.

It definetly is a beauty you want to take out for a romantic dinner straight away :) It doesn't have quite the "punch" in it's engine sound I hoped it would be (well, it sounds almost identical to an IL-2) but it's still WIP.

If you look closely you can see a grey replacement texure for the cockpit. Hopefully the it will be shown off in full detail later once finished.

Multiplayer changes sound interesting as well, didn't expect that. The point system currently is somewhat pointless (got it?) anyway so any new feautures / improvements to it are appreciated.

Also, FM fixes...

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

Hello Dev's

I am happy to see that continue to build aircraft, at a good rate

forgive, but I only hear to mention enhancements to tanks and something more. I hear nothing but improve the performance we lost with this latest update 1.105. STUTTERING, and Low FPS

Salut Lothar29

• Upvote 1

That video is so beautiful to watch: it shows a world that is truly alive. Lots of little movements: from the camera shake to the grass wafting to the control surfaces, the pilot, the cooler flaps, the play of shadows and reflections on the skin of the plane, the furrows in the ground, dust kicked up, wheels spinning... Together with the rich engine sounds, the start-up, revving up and down, full throttle and Doppler effect, it makes for a supremely lush experience, very different from the somewhat stale flight sims of the past.  

• Upvote 1

The MiG-3 is alive, alive! :cray: It's just so beautiful to look at, it sounds amazing and it moves so elegantly as well. Thanks for the update! :biggrin:

Edited by Lucas_From_Hell

Hello Dev's

I am happy to see that continue to build aircraft, at a good rate

forgive, but I only hear to mention enhancements to tanks and something more. I hear nothing but improve the performance we lost with this latest update 1.105. STUTTERING, and Low FPS

Salut Lothar29

In here http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/7-questions-developers/?p=3099163kilos is asking  can we expect some more work on the optimization side ... and Han answered Yes. 

I would imagine that means performance. There has been optimizations before and I think they are constantly making improvements.

Edited by Zami

Can't wait to fly the MiG-3... for some reason I'm very excited to take it out for a spin!

Taking it out for a 'Spin'... hr hr :D

Edited by Jordan

My god it's so beautiful. It makes my heart feel good to watch the video over again and again. I see this version is with the tube piping inert exhaust gases into the empty space in the fuel tank. Can't wait to try it out. The engine sounds amazing.

Very nice looking MIG-3 I must admit. Not my favourite kite in the original IL-2 sim

but still

Besides the planned planes for BOM, a chance to add the I-153 Chaika too would IMHO

be welcomed by many simmers ;)

Any one ? ..

• Upvote 1

I just keep on on being a real happy camper. Hopefully 1.06 will be before Christmas..too dad from dad. :biggrin:

Nevermind that Mig thing... After that I believe the F2 is next  :clapping:

Edited by Trooper117

Damn... I just noticed the difference in texture rendering, bump mapping and reflection of sunlight between the wooden and the metal parts of the airframe - particularly obvious on the wings in the shot from behind before take off- Absolutely marvelous. Looks even better than on the LaGG and Yak.

:clapping:

The 3D model itself is gorgeous, as expected, but I'd still like the spinner to be more pointed or alternatively have the small protution for the starter found on many MiGs.

Edited by Finkeren