Sokol1

VKB Gladiator joystick project

From Russian Forum (GT).

A budget joystick "WWII style".

Dear virtual pilots.

Virtual Design Bureau is finalizing a new joystick.

We do this joystick "based on" piston aircraft of World War II. We called this joystick - "Gladiator". Under what name it goes on sale too early to speak.

post-979-0-98892700-1422699257.jpg

Why pistons WWII?

1) The market is already joysticks from leading brands, stylized modern combat aircraft.

2) Most virtual pilots to fly it on the pistons.

3) I love piston aircraft of that era, and since the final decision to launch the project to take me, I quickly and without a doubt chose piston design and ergonomics. Here and so took office.

Joystick planned budget. I really hope to see retail prices near $ 70-90. Not expensive. (Price depends strongly on the "greed" of Retail). Prices writing in dollars, as the joystick is made in China.

post-979-0-49209000-1422700937.jpg

So characteristics. (Not the fact that the joystick will go into production so as we developed. We are now at the stage of the rendering cost joystick. I admit that some things can be removed or made in the form of additional upgrade. I will keep you informed of any changes) .

Axles - 8.

Shed (HAT?) - 1.

Buttons - 39.

Joystick controller is based on NJoy32. Therefore, the number of axes may be increased by adding a virtual axes. Due to the 3-position switch mods number of virtual buttons can be increased to 111.

Roll, pitch, TWIST - New generation of proximity sensor Mars.

Other axes - potentiometers.

In the joystick encoder is used. Number - 5 pieces.

There will also be an opportunity to connect external pedals and tumbler-keypads.

post-979-0-11092200-1422700957.jpg

This is not a "killer sticks" premium segment. Joystick budget imposes many restrictions.

To make quality, but expensive device - just.

Make a cheap, low-quality but - even easier.

But the "sweet spot" - very hard. But we will try.

post-979-0-39396200-1422700977.jpg

PS Of course, this is not the final 3D model. We shall now proceed to the rapid prototyping. We are planning to get a workable sample in mid-March. Specificity of production in China - The Chinese New Year begins. In February, few works.

"In the joystick encoder is used. Number - 5 pieces."

This will allow set trim on rotaries in certain Combat Flight Game.  :) 

This is not "HOTAS", is all in one piece.

Sokol1

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 4

Looks fantastic but it would be a shame if this wasn't going to be a Hotas someday :mellow:

The leveler is a neat idea, not too common among commercial joysticks.

Looks fantastic but it would be a shame if this wasn't going to be a Hotas someday :mellow:

I'll try to retranslate some of UIV's Ilya answers from russian forum :)

It would double the price as minimum, cost restriction :(

The idea is to take the joy, fly some and take it back away to the shelf, and all this fun for just a 70-90 USD retail price.

Edited by Valdamar

I'm sure the design does well for it's pricetag. It's just bad for people like me having their joystick mounted on their chair rather than on the desk.

The design itself is promising and I love the KG 13 style grip and the number of rotaries rotaries on it. :)

It's just bad for people like me having their joystick mounted on their chair rather than on the desk.

Agreed, that joy is mostly for newbies, beginner-class joy, not for a virtual pilots with a home-made cockpits that understand absolutely what they need and how to get it.

KG13 is perfect!  :biggrin:

Btw, how do you like separated throttle control? :)

S!

Will it be one USB device? Cause this one seems to have a lot of axis. 2 for joystick, 3 for the bigger levers and additional 8 for the small wheels. Will that even work, thought one USB device could only handle 8 axis at once. Could be wrong on that throught.

Zettman 

Yeah, AFAIK MS Windows can operate 8 axis per device, so it should work.

I'll ask guys from VKB about that, just to be sure.

Some of wheels is not "axis". They use "encoders", it works like rapidly pressed buttons.

• Upvote 1

Some of these base rotaries don't use potentiometers, or are not analog axis, but use Encoder, that press one button repeatedly if the knob is turned clockwise, and other if turned anti-clockwise.

The USB controller - Njoy32 - has capacity to handle more than 100 buttons. Windows see up to 32 without additional software (keymapper).

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1

Some of these base rotaries don't use potentiometers, or are not analog axis, but use Encoder, that press one button repeatedly if the knob is turned clockwise, and other if turned anti-clockwise.

The USB controller - Njoy32 - has capacity to handle more than 100 buttons.

S!

Thanks for the information.

Zettman

Btw, how do you like separated throttle control? :)

Tbh I really like it. Most cheap to midclass joysticks feauture single throttles and a more fighter pilot oriented layout with them. The simple design reminds me of my Cyborg X but isn't bad at all.

A button to lock them for single engine aircraft use should be included in the design however.

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

That is a nice looking stick and the price point is attractive. The market really needs a decent stick that doesn't cost $100s.

I do wish someone would come up with a modular design that wouldn't lock out the left handed market. Even if it would cost extra, I think a lot of lefty virtual pilots would pay the price. No need for anyone to tell me "real" pilots fly right handed. I don't consider sim flying "real", just a hobby I don't want to complicate.

would be nice if it could be a 2 piece system but id much rather have it function at its peak then have it seperated and its a sweet idea hope to see more on this in the future. keep up the good work hope you get to final product on it id be the first to buy it.

A button to lock them for single engine aircraft use should be included in the design however.

Locking button confirmed, at the end-face of the left throttle stick.

As I'm in the market for a new stick I'll be keeping a eye on this, I hope people keep this up to date as it does look promising.

Cheers WhiteYeti

Edited by WhiteYeti

Solidworks? CATIA?  Nice jobe designing. The only change I would make it to make the throttle quadrant detachable so the user can choose to fly HOTAS or not.

Solidworks? CATIA?  Nice jobe designing. The only change I would make it to make the throttle quadrant detachable so the user can choose to fly HOTAS or not.

Agree.

Wow Sokol, that looks good.

No, this is not mine, this picture is form pre-production prototype, this VKB stick should reach the market in Q3/Q4 2015.

Wow I'd buy one day one. I absolutley love the WWII look and design. are they going to even be available in the US?

Edited by [TWB]Hooves_McG

Great design, certainly I would buy one. And its a great price for all those buttons, handles and sliders but like many mentioned before it would be a good idea to make a HOTAS version too at a higher price off course (because of more materials, cables, chip boards, etc. it  would need I suppose).

I have a Saitek X-55 and I happy with it but really I would have bought something more WWII to the eyes. And my father fear so many buttons so I bought a T.16000 for him, but I really thinking in gifting this one as soon as it goes retail.

As it has already been said it won't be HOTAS I wonder if there might be a possebility to have a Flight Stick variant of it without the throttle station (additionally to the planed version)?

I'm thinking of sth in this direction:

post-22578-0-90743400-1427358588_thumb.jpg

This way the bare stick could be combined with any spare throttle to a HOTAS sytem easily. Another big question for me is how much freedom of movement this stick posesses.

I really love the X-52 for it's wide movement angles and don't think I want to sacrifise this benefit. On the previous concept pictures it looks like it could have decent movement but I might be wrong.

If not it's a pity since it really looks like a functional and appealing design to me, I just can't switch back to table flying again. ;)

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

I'd buy it, but if I may ask ... how is the stick itself compared to Cobra M5 ? I mean I know Cobra is pretty good for the price it goes with and the pitch and roll are very high quality, so how compares to that this new one ? 

I know its just a prototype, but as specification was issued : 

Joystick controller is based on NJoy32. Therefore, the number of axes may be increased by adding a virtual axes. Due to the 3-position switch mods number of virtual buttons can be increased to 111.

Roll, pitch, TWIST - New generation of proximity sensor Mars.

Other axes - potentiometers.

In the joystick encoder is used. Number - 5 pieces.

There will also be an opportunity to connect external pedals and tumbler-keypads.

And getting it might not be easy or that cheap in EU with additional charges and current political situation ... 

Edited by =LD=Hiromachi

I'd buy it, but if I may ask ... how is the stick itself compared to Cobra M5 ? I mean I know Cobra is pretty good for the price it goes with and the pitch and roll are very high quality, so how compares to that this new one ? 

Electronics in Gladiator will be better than in actual Cobra M5.

The first version of Cobra M5 use VKB digital MaRS sensor and a USB 1.1 USB circuit based on ATMEGA8 (outdated, low freqnecy), in middle of 2012 was uptade for NJoy32, USB 2.0,

but short after the brand owner decide use a new low cost version of electronics, with controller again based on ATMEGA8 and generic analog sensor instead the VKB digital.

In Gladiador will be used the versatile NJoy32 - same of Mamba sticks - and digital MaRS sensor in X and Y axis, the throttle axis will use conventional potentiometers.

Since the price target for this joystick is under 100$, the detachable HOTAS format is not viable because the cost - mainly due high cost of molds*.

This brand need find a way to reach the USA market to maintain a regular production, leaving the actual cycle o small batch's only.

* As far I remember is said that G940 molds cost around 100.000$

Edited by Sokol1

This stick won't have any problem being available in Europe or North America and elsewhere. This stick is only now at the prototype stage, but it should set a new standard for this category of stick.

Jason

This stick won't have any problem being available in Europe or North America and elsewhere. This stick is only now at the prototype stage, but it should set a new standard for this category of stick.

Jason

I hope Jason, I lately tried to check with Brano Cobra M5 which is also a Russian product, designed by VKB and produced on license by someone else, and both in Slovakia or Poland or any other country I checked in EU dont have it. If in this case the availability will not be a problem I surly might give it a try :)

Thank you Jason for the reply :)

In Gladiador will be used the versatile NJoy32 - same of Mamba sticks - and digital MaRS sensor in X and Y axis, the throttle axis will use conventional potentiometers.

Thanks Sokol. You said in first post that there should be a port to connect the rudder pedals, so instead of getting VKB T-rudder pedals + tiny box one can go for the pedals only  and plug into stick ? That would be sweet and USB slot saving for me.

More detailed pictures of prototype, looks good. :)

post-15866-0-02340300-1427339919.jpg

post-15866-0-89510300-1427339876.jpg

post-15866-0-16836900-1427339901.jpg

post-15866-0-75070600-1427339936.jpg

You said in first post that there should be a port to connect the rudder pedals, so instead of getting VKB T-rudder pedals + tiny box one can go for the pedals only  and plug into stick ? That would be sweet and USB slot saving for me.

Yes, look at back of prototype the RJ45 connector for plug the T-Rudder. :)

Or some button panel, the USB Controller NJoy32 support almost 100 buttons.

From Russian Forum (GT).

A budget joystick "WWII style".

"In the joystick encoder is used. Number - 5 pieces."

This will allow set trim on rotaries in certain Combat Flight Game.  :) 

This is not "HOTAS", is all in one piece.

Sokol1

Looks very nice and very promising !! At least I recon it will make live easier for   special keystrokes and axis needed for all the needed commands. Thumbs up !!!

I would prefer a hotas type but  I would take that too.

Edited by AvengerSeawolf