Sign in to follow this  
dburne

QMB Fun

I had a most awesome experience in the QMB this morning and just had to share. I am a single player only right now, and I know most here prefer the multi player experience, but single player can be a lot of fun as well.

So I have been flying the QMB, my side flying the Yak-1, two flights of three each, enemy side - first flight set to 3 ea 109-F's, and 3 ea  Heinkills.

So I am on the runway after clicking start, and immediately shut my engine down - I want to cold start this baby. Close my water and oil rad, set mixture to 100%, throttle back - and flipped the engine start switch ( on my Warthog throttle). Watch the cool animated start up sequence, as my engine was already warmed, I then opened water and oil rad fully, put in 5 clicks of pitch up trim, opened prop pitch to full, and off I went.

My group of three, only two of us made it in the air. Not sure if the third guy had a malfunction, crashed, or chickened out. I was pleased to see the second group of three get into the air safely, whew, ok so it is only 5 against 6, could have been worse.

Myself and my wingmen go to handle the three Heinkills, while the second flight of three extend on out to take on the 109's. I see they keep them occupied, so I focus on the bombers. Before too long myself and my wingman take care of the three Heinkills, however then my wingman had to bail as his plane was going down...

I look to the southwest, and see the three 109's still engaging, however there is only one Yak-1  left of the second flight and his aircraft is already smoking. They are about 4KM away, so off I go on my own to see if I can help out. About the time I arrived the only other Yak-1 that is smoking, goes down and the pilot bails. So now it is me, and the three 109's. I quickly see two of those three smoking pretty good, so I set out after the one 109 that is flying and not smoking. Got on his six, and a few quick cannon bursts shreds his right wing.

I then look for the other two, about the time they are going down and crashing into terra firma  from them being on fire - woohoo!

Ok so now I get the message to take care of some ground transport vehicles, three of them on a small road just to the northeast, two good passes and they are destroyed. I then get the message to return to base, and I make a beautiful three point landing, taxi to the edge of the runway, open the canopy and shut the engine down, watching it go through the shut down sequence.

This is one of those times, I wish I had have thought to record a track, while I have never done so yet would have loved to try and make a video out of that mission. The QMB is quirky at times, but when it works it can be pretty nice.

This one, was a blast to fly.

• Upvote 3

This is exactly what I like on offline gaming.It always has a story with the plot where you are the Hero.Not so much in online furball ;)

I had a most awesome experience in the QMB this morning and just had to share. I am a single player only right now, and I know most here prefer the multi player experience, but single player can be a lot of fun as well.

So I have been flying the QMB, my side flying the Yak-1, two flights of three each, enemy side - first flight set to 3 ea 109-F's, and 3 ea  Heinkills.

So I am on the runway after clicking start, and immediately shut my engine down - I want to cold start this baby. Close my water and oil rad, set mixture to 100%, throttle back - and flipped the engine start switch ( on my Warthog throttle). Watch the cool animated start up sequence, as my engine was already warmed, I then opened water and oil rad fully, put in 5 clicks of pitch up trim, opened prop pitch to full, and off I went.

My group of three, only two of us made it in the air. Not sure if the third guy had a malfunction, crashed, or chickened out. I was pleased to see the second group of three get into the air safely, whew, ok so it is only 5 against 6, could have been worse.

Myself and my wingmen go to handle the three Heinkills, while the second flight of three extend on out to take on the 109's. I see they keep them occupied, so I focus on the bombers. Before too long myself and my wingman take care of the three Heinkills, however then my wingman had to bail as his plane was going down...

I look to the southwest, and see the three 109's still engaging, however there is only one Yak-1  left of the second flight and his aircraft is already smoking. They are about 4KM away, so off I go on my own to see if I can help out. About the time I arrived the only other Yak-1 that is smoking, goes down and the pilot bails. So now it is me, and the three 109's. I quickly see two of those three smoking pretty good, so I set out after the one 109 that is flying and not smoking. Got on his six, and a few quick cannon bursts shreds his right wing.

I then look for the other two, about the time they are going down and crashing into terra firma  from them being on fire - woohoo!

Ok so now I get the message to take care of some ground transport vehicles, three of them on a small road just to the northeast, two good passes and they are destroyed. I then get the message to return to base, and I make a beautiful three point landing, taxi to the edge of the runway, open the canopy and shut the engine down, watching it go through the shut down sequence.

This is one of those times, I wish I had have thought to record a track, while I have never done so yet would have loved to try and make a video out of that mission. The QMB is quirky at times, but when it works it can be pretty nice.

This one, was a blast to fly.

I know that feeling..., btw great story.  :salute:

ThNks for the after-action report, nice read! Btw, Heinkels, not Heinkills. :-)

Thanks for sharing. I'm getting excited about the campaign phase of the sim.