SYN_Vander

So what can we expect from BoS Multiplayer?

The topic is: So what can we expect from BoS Multiplayer?

Can we not expect persons to engage in shooting at persons in parachutes in multiplayer? I should think so. The display of poor sportsmanship is  on topic. Poor sportsmanship, however negative a mater, is among countless things, both positive and negative, we can expect from BOS multiplayer. You picked the topic, Vander. ;)

Ok the answer is YES.

Expect chute shooting unless otherwise banned by the server in question.

It's not poor sportsmanship, just how some people play the game. After all, it's not virtual planes against each other but virtual people against each other.

Thanks for the prompt answer - I am just thinking the possibilities how to make missions more dynamic on the fly.

I think the triggers will do the trick then. One more additional question. Will those inactive AI objects somehow affect on server performance i.e. is there a limit how many inactive objects a mission can hold? I assume also ground objects like cars, tanks & trains can be incative and then activated?

Yes, all active AI objects will have an impact on server performance. Simple objects such as vehicles have little effect, so you can have a 100 or more in a RoF mission (depends on CPU power / clock speed). AI planes are more complex and have a bigger performance hit and planes with a crew (gunners) have even more impact. In co-op missions I have maximized the number of AI planes to 20 or so for our server. It is possible to spawn new planes, so during the mission you can replace those that get shot down.

Inactive AI have no impact.

Another resource to think of is memory. With current RoF (32-bit) memory limit if you have too many planes with too many different skins than clients can get a memory error during the mission. But I haven't seen this happening a lot lately.

Edited by SYN_Vander

Totally agree with Mac_Messer:

What you have in online wars coops is :

- dynamic frontline changing by the daily events based on every mission flown,

- varied, dynamic availability of resources that change depending on frontline situation,

- online statistics + list of flown missions with briefings,

- forum for either side,

- dynamic, by the hour mission planning done by individual flight commanders (players) that generate missions,

- DID model (dead is dead),

- what players do in mission influences frontline (not only eg. train bombing, also will they return home - promotes actually nursing your plane to the nearest base),

- different info for either side ; VVS commander sees what Soviets have and know, LW commander sees what they have and know,

- frontline info for commanders : fighter resources at certain AF, ongoing server missions, intel on enemy resources at AF, intel on enemy transport routes and so on,

- transport hunting missions,reconnaissance missions, CAP, ground support, bomber hunting, base defence, carpet bombing and CAS,

- multiple different missions on the same campaign map done by players at the same time,

- every squad has their "room" on the online war site : squad stats and mission briefings,

- multiple different variants of missions - eg. 4v4, 8v8 (and so on), bombers only, bombers with fighters and so on.

- server time ends when either side accomplishes all of the main server objectives.

If we can do this on a DF server then we have an online war. It would be even better, because whereas in old OW formula the map was purely virtual, here we would actually have a dedicated server with fixed interface functioning constantly to which pilots would enter already knowing their objectives.

Let's try to explain how Online Wars in IL2 works for those who were not familiarized.

There is a game map in OW server website. The map is divided by territory sectors. An there is a front line: the same amount of sectors for both sides(red and blue). If i say anything wrong please correct me.

The objetive is take all sectors. The side who do it first, wins the "map",and it may take months.... Then the next map comes.

How it works:

A player wants to "attack" a sector, to take this territory. His side would be the attacker(maybe the "blue" side). So he goes to website, analizes the map and selects one to attack, by making a "request". He must be pre authorized to do the "request". In the request, he chooses the ammount of human players, it could be 4x4 or maybe 32x32. He chooses for a bomber/fighter/mixed/recon mission. (it takes maybe 5 minutes)

Then the paser generates a mission. In the mission there as an main target an several second ones for the "attacker". The main task for the "defender" is defend this target. But may be second targets as well.
In the mission, several ground targets are generated in that sector as well as AI flights that may be selectable in game.

Then he goes to hiperlobby, hosts a mission and waits to complete the amount of players he choosed. Once its reached, the mission begins and nobody can join anymore. So the players choose the available planes and the mission begins, with everybody lined up in the runway.

When the mission is over, he takes the log and uploads in website. Then the paser generates a lot of statistics. There are a pre-defined quantity of "points" to reach to take over the sector. So, frequently, the sector who have bigger cities usualy is harder. Some sectors must be recognized first to be attackable. If the attack fails....the sector got strong...so there be many attacks(a lot of missions played by many peoople) to take the sector down.

I've been playing flight simulator(most combat) since 90's i never saw anything that exciting!

And maybe Il2 lasted 10 year because of features like that(of course note only that one). And i think if the new concept of online play dont give us a chance to play like this.....it will be a huge regression. And we....as a major comunity must discuss very hard this subject.

So, maybe, if this "new Dog mode" can't provide features that exciting and that easy handled....why not keep the old and outdated COOP alive ?

• Upvote 1

What I've studied the possibilities it should be possible to create e.g. AFW style online war based on BOS DF server. DF server has advantage of mission running all the time without waiting for players to join. There is a lot of work to be done on developing such campaign, what we need is some active community members with skills and support ...

And maybe Il2 lasted 10 year because of features like that(of course note only that one). And i think if the new concept of online play dont give us a chance to play like this.....it will be a huge regression. And we....as a major comunity must discuss very hard this subject.

So, maybe, if this "new Dog mode" can't provide features that exciting and that easy handled....why not keep the old and outdated COOP alive ?

I agree  S!

I 'm not a good type for  coop  players  but  I respect  all of this friends

they are good team work , good organize , good discipline  and very very good  patient for waiting in co-op slot on Hyperlobby for group up  number of player.

which most of the time I can't wait and jump to DF-Server :biggrin:

first time I try  was .... VOW about 2003 . and IL2 coop community are very strong and bring back VOW(reloaded) to life again   :)

Edited by Karost

S!

What I've studied the possibilities it should be possible to create e.g. AFW style online war based on BOS DF server. DF server has advantage of mission running all the time without waiting for players to join. There is a lot of work to be done on developing such campaign, what we need is some active community members with skills and support ...

Humm....i enjoyed the ADW (Air Domination War) a lot....got excited when was lauched.....but i found some "questions or issues" that we may discuss:

►Most times the ammount of players got very unbalanced, like : 30 reds x 10 blues , 3 reds x 15 blues...making the front very related to the ammount of players in each side making the objetives less important    [we need to remember the planes already are different (thanks the god of simulation ;) ), and the online matchs already got unbalanced...even more with this "plane selling thing]

►In a balanced number (ex.: 30x30) if any squad wants to play with your mates at same time (imagine a blue squad with 10 pilots) they need to split to keep the amount ok :dry:

►The quantity of players only is less determinant in > 70x70 servers....but the ping got very very problematic :o:

►Another "issue" is the mix of "gamers" pilots with "objective-based" pilots:
Some of pilots simple don't give a s* for the objetives. They want: "kill kil kill, points points points"
Most of then jumps for the side that have better planes.

Those issues places the objectives just in second plan. :mellow:

► Gathering your squad mates in airfield is a complete mess. So you need to "loiter" over the airfield....as well as in the "Hipperlobby Coop slot". :P
 And plenty of combats were over them, not over objetives....so a lot of vulching

I know we have a LOT of advantages in the DF server concept. I flew the Very VERY old Wabirds 2.77 for many years and loved...and it had the same server concept.

But, it looks have the same issues.

Maybe, just replacing the "old il2 coop" we kill a think that worked. Really worked, despite some limitations and the loitering issue. I think this should be an improve not a replacement.

I really hope we have a nice solution for the online gameplay, in the very beginning. This may determine if BOS will last 3 years or 10 years. :)

As long as the server capacity is capable, we have everything we need for online wars. AW, CK, AH, WB, and Il-2 series - the software produced the environment and the organizers produced the event.

It's up to us, all of us, to make online wars and events enjoyable - it's never been the software as has been evidenced by over two decades of online simming producing events that are historically accurate and wars that last months to a year.

So long as there are those willing to put together the scenarios and wars, we will have them because the software allows them to take place not because the software makes them take place. It's up to us to create these historical recreative events, or these historically based online "wars."

S!

►Another "issue" is the mix of "gamers" pilots with "objective-based" pilots:

Some of pilots simple don't give a s* for the objetives. They want: "kill kil kill, points points points"

Most of then jumps for the side that have better planes.

I agree about this  80 % seem like that   but  20%  may  difference see my team mate have a lot of fun to do when out number  :biggrin:

ss0-4.jpg

22.jpg

ss6-8.jpg

ss8-5.jpg

this is what old hand friends like to play   when waiting  other friends... in DF server   .... sneak hit and  hide :biggrin:

Edited by Karost