Sign in to follow this  
Jakers

Best Keybinds and such

I'm incredibly new to full on flight simulators and am having quite a hard time actually learning the ropes. Due to me being new to this kind of thing, I do not have a flight stick in my possession and I am having to rely on the keyboard and gamepad. If someone has any idea on the best way to set out the keybinds for me to be able to fly a plane at a basic level, it'd be incredibly helpful.

I know I'm being a complete scrub but I'd really appreciate having this fine community get me up to speed with how the game works so that I don't suck quite as much as I do now at it.

I think it's quite possible to fly with an xbox360 controller, or another controller that has an analog stick. 

However, you may have difficulty with precise maneuvers.

What I always did with the 360 controller is to map the yaw axis to the triggers, and pitch and roll to one of the analog sticks.

The other stick I used for looking around, and the shoulder buttons for throttle.

I have an xbox 360 controller which I have used at a pinch to play when away from home. I also have a logitech extreme 3d pro. The logitech is unbelievably superior and easier to control for flight sims and actually cost me less than the xbox controller. It is really worth getting a stick (with twist and throttle at minumum). Your flight sim experience will be much more rewarding with the precision and comfort this provides. 

I'm incredibly new to full on flight simulators and am having quite a hard time actually learning the ropes...

Welcome to what I still think of as an adventure! I came to my first combat flight sim from an old game called Crimson Skies, which was great fun, but more like Space Invaders than actual flight. I then played MS Flight Sim 4 (I think) with a mouse. I couldn't land my little Cessna on a carrier in - I think - San Francisco Bay. I asked a friend who had the same game if he could. He said, yep, it was easy. He had a joystick. Then I got a joystick and, yep, it was easy!

My first experience with a "real" sim was the original IL2. It took me hours and hours to just take off in a Messerschmit BF 109. Then, the instant I touched the joystick - and I mean even just breathed on it - I went into an instant spin and ker-boom! I could not understand how to turn! The "tutorial" tracks were, shall we say, rudimentary. I picked another aircraft I hadn't heard of, the IL2 and tried that. It was built like a tank and flew like one. You had to work very hard to destroy yourself in one. But I could turn! Left and right! I just couldn't land or shoot anything or do anything else. Months later, and I'd joined a virtual squadron, made friendships that are still going strong and -what? - a decade and a half later I'm still useless at flightsims. But I love the challenges it presents. I get at least as much of a thrill out of making a silky smooth three-point three point landing in a 109 in a crosswind as shooting things down. Wierd, I know, but there you are.

So, everyone here will say the same thing. Get a joystick and join a squadron. And have fun. And soon you'll also have bought Rise of Flight, the original IL2, and will be looking at the amount of RAM in your computer, wondering how much expanding the RAM would cost. ANd what about that graphics card... And then it'll be down the Rabbit hole!

One of my squadron mates (an airline pilot) has just bought this! Another has bought an Oculus Rift thingy. So, after buying a joystick and joining a squadron, putting some sort of spending cap on your credit card might be the third thing to do.

One other thing. My 14 year old son was impinging on my simming time this afternoon, and he really wanted a go. So I went into the difficulty settings and turned on a lot of the engine management aids and target labels. He had a ball. I was delighted that he couldn't hit anything (!), but thrilled that half an hour later he was getting to grips with the 3D space and his spatial awareness in general. There's so much to learn, but I think the Devs have done a fine job with the difficulty settings! Many thanks Devs!  :P

Edited by No601_Swallow
  • Upvote 1

Honestly i wouldn't even try bothering with anything but a joystick you can pick cheapies up for 20 to 30 bucks which are pretty good or just go for the hundred dollar investment

my sidewinder FF 2 i have had since i was a little boy playing il2 1946 :ph34r: