=LD=Penshoon

Force feedback improved?

Has anyone noticed any improvements in the force feedback since the last FM update?

My MSFFB2 feels a bit more stiff at speeds now but It could be a placebo. 

Overall the FF effects still feel less dynamic than in Rise of flight, that might be because WW1 planes had smaller airspeed envelopes?

I would be very interested to hear what you other FFB flyers think! 

Cheers

Penshoon 

Edited by =LD=Penshoon

I feel like a lot is missing. I like the fact that trimming moves the no force zone and not the joystick center and accelerated stall shaking is all there. However I think some small things are missing on ground handling forces and also damage model force changes seem to be missing. Also when reaching control lockup at high speeds the forces don't increase over what they seem to be when flying with in that range. I'm not sure if they left enough overhead in the stiffness to accommodate more force at these high speeds.  I think it's a great start but could use some more depth, Spring forces seem to be there but dampening doesn't seem to be.

Edited by driftaholic
  • Upvote 1

I also think the FF in BOS is still missing something compared to ROF. It still feels too weak in my opinon and I have the FF on 100 %. 

I especially miss the ground feeling FF which is really great in ROF. Driving trough the snow and going over bumbs does not give me any FF to my beloved MSFFB2 joystick. 

And since the ground feeling is outstanding in BOS, the experience would be mindblowing. 

Hello guys:)

I know the tread is old, but I just got my FFB2. Saw this thread and looked at what I could find of Microsoft FF documentation.

I found if you just add "amp_scale=" to a given force type in your joys.ffp (..\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\input\joys.ffp),

you will scale the force applied to it.

Before you start playing around with it, please read up on the different force types,

so you know what does what.

Also, do not go over board with this multiplier. The Sidewinder's motors might be good, but they can break. And so can the gears. If not at once, they might over time, with too much force.

Start low (e.g. 1.1) and move your way up the numbers. Being a multiplier 1.0 is the standard value. So going lower will probably make the force weaker.

Here is an example for Sidewinder users:

Scroll down to the [sidewinder] category, and add "amp_scale=2" to your pereodic force.

[sidewinder]

[const_force]
axis_map="0","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8";
axis_type="single";
max_offset=10000;
min_offset=-10000;
[end]

[pereodic_force]
axis_map="0","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8";
axis_type="multi";
max_offset=10000;
min_offset=-10000;
amp_scale=2;
[end]

[condition_force]
axis_map="1","0","2","3","4","5","6","7","8";
axis_type="multi";
max_offset=10000;
min_offset=-10000;
[end]

Try firing ingame. You have doubled the feedback on pereodic forces.

For those of you who use another stick, there are categories for several sticks and pads in this file.

Hope you find this useful!

Best,

Klas

PS: I will not take responsibility for any ruined joysticks over this. So if you write in 200 and your joystick takes off and refurnishes your living room, you were warned!;p

Edited by kissklas
  • Upvote 5

Hello everybody ! It's my turn to reup this tread ... I have the same problem and the trick with "amp_scale=" in joys.ffp is very good ! I tried with the example and got firing FF stronger ... it works !

And now my  question: can somebody tell me which parameter is ruling the buffeting force-feedback in joys.ffp?

THX !

Edited by C6_LionHell

Hello everybody ! It's my turn to reup this tread ... I have the same problem and the trick with "amp_scale=" in joys.ffp is very good ! I tried with the example and got firing FF stronger ... it works !

And now my  question: can somebody tell me which parameter is ruling the buffeting force-feedback in joys.ffp?

THX !

Jut got a FFB2 and I also think the buffeting is a bit too weak - so I´d also like to know if there is any way to increase the buffeting force?

Edited by 9./JG27golani79

Hm, you are right. The amp scale does not seem to have an effect on constant forces and conditions.

Just read up quicky on the Force Feedback documentation at MSDN

The conditions (which is probably the "condition_force" in the config) are the forces that is applied according to how you move the stick, like the spring effect or friction.

It is possible to scale the effect of this in DirectInput through a "Coefficient" parameter. For the constant forces, there is a parameter for Initial attack level that controls the magnitude.

However, I would not know if the programmers have hooked up a parameter to scale the constant forces or the conditions through the config.

In any case it would be just guessing what they would have called it. The amp scale was easy to find, seeing it was there already for other devices.
Best way would probably be to ask one of the developers. Not sure if they would want to give the players full control over the forces like that though... but no harm in asking:)

Best,

Klas

I have FFB2 and it`s just like with the old IL2. Great for the most part, but terrible `knocking` with the stick when its cloudy weather. i guess that`s suppose to be buffeting from wind? I don`t have real world aeronautical experience, but it doesn`t feel the way i`d imagine it to be. Shouldn`t the buffeting effect be more gentle, but` `push` your stick hard rather than the constant `knocking` effect I get? It`s impossible to target an aircraft when it happens.

Edited by seafireliv

Hm .. I just tried it out again and somehow it seems that I can´t feel any buffeting at all - I can see the plane starting to shake and hear the audio hints but I can´t feel any forces on the stick.

Isn't there a force adjustment within the input section of settings?

Shaking and Force are both at 100% in my settings - but I´ll try the amp setting with the file as a friend of mine told me that it also has an effect on the buffeting.

Thanks for your inputs!

• Upvote 1

Isn't there a force adjustment within the input section of settings?

Yes, but the config "goes to 11":-p

Kissklas,

I can't thank you enough for this great tip! I've been flying this sim since Day1 of Battle of Stalingrad & NEVER had my Sidewinder FFB work ( I even purchased a gladiator stick because I was so frustrated !) but now by just adding the one line you suggest "amp_force=2" I get some real OOOMPFut of my old stick & to me that makes a real difference.I'm certainly glad I ran across this thread...WOW!

ace2.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Kissklas,

I can't thank you enough for this great tip!

No problem at all! Needed it when I extended my stick, and it would be silly not to share what I found:) Glad to hear you are enjoying your FFB as much as I am:D

On 5/13/2016 at 7:58 AM, kissklas said:

Yes, but the config "goes to 11":-p

I`ve picked up a 2nd hand Sidewinder 2 and like the OP would like to increase the FFB. When you say you can increase the config to 11, is that in the joy ffp file in the data/input folder and what part is edited ?

Edited by Wulfen

54 minutes ago, Wulfen said:

I`ve picked up a 2nd hand Sidewinder 2 and like the OP would like to increase the FFB. When you say you can increase the config to 11, is that in the joy ffp file in the data/input folder and what part is edited ?

That is just a way of saying "you can increase it beyond reasonable levels". It is after the cult movie Spinal Tap.

Spoiler

Try setting it to 2. That doubles the effects. "../data/input/joy.ffp" is the correct location yes.

I`ve just came across your previous posts on the issue, thanks again.

Edited by Wulfen
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kissklas said:

That is just a way of saying "you can increase it beyond reasonable levels". It is after the cult movie Spinal Tap.

Reveal hidden contents

Try setting it to 2. That doubles the effects. "../data/input/joy.ffp" is the correct location yes.

I actually set it to 3 and used the in game sliders to adjust the settings down for the gun shake v the flight surfaces. Works pretty nicely now. It`s a nice stick but lacks buttons, maybe a conversion at some stage.

I have plans to do so too. Migrate the controllers at the base and replacing the grip with a new one. Already extended it with a model I did a while back, and I plan to do more.

I just seen this thread and applied amp_scale=2;  It works MS FFB red button THX  Now i prefer concrete runways though.