=38=Tatarenko

New Players start here ...

hi all, im looking at getting a premium copy of moscow and/or stalingrad. im a long time flyer of il21946 and rof - just wanted to know if you can host multi or coop games without an internet connection as per il21946 or is it like rof where u have to be connected otherwise its sp only?

obviously i have no internet anymore but would download the game at work and transfer to home... is it even possible to install and register without internet?

no internet sucks badly but thats how it is for the forseeable future. man do i miss online flying :-(

thanks in advance

main install would be on a 2.5ghz i7 laptop with 1gb vram n 16gb ram... so probably install/update at work i guess

Edited by R33GZ

Hi, My first post was on another thread but Just wanted to say hi. This seems like a great community. I am still getting used to BOS but I am Combat Flight Sim veteran. I have only just upgraded enough for BOS, I have also been flying COD with TF mod but so far I think I prefer BOS but both great sims. I have yet to enter multiplayer and not too sure how to approach it but making my way the campaign as well as Blazing Steppe. 

Hi, My first post was on another thread but Just wanted to say hi. This seems like a great community. I am still getting used to BOS but I am Combat Flight Sim veteran. I have only just upgraded enough for BOS, I have also been flying COD with TF mod but so far I think I prefer BOS but both great sims. I have yet to enter multiplayer and not too sure how to approach it but making my way the campaign as well as Blazing Steppe. 

:salute: 

Welcome aboard!!

Hi and welcome!

Hey,

My fiancée and I are long distance for several months of the year. Been looking at games we could play together. A little confused by the choices. What do people recommend picking up first? BoM or BoS?

Also plan on picking up the 'Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X' wondering if thats a reasonable choice for noobs like us?

Hey,

My fiancée and I are long distance for several months of the year. Been looking at games we could play together. A little confused by the choices. What do people recommend picking up first? BoM or BoS?

Also plan on picking up the 'Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X' wondering if thats a reasonable choice for noobs like us?

I wrote a guide to that you might want to check out :) https://stormbirds.wordpress.com/2017/03/12/which-il-2-should-i-buy/

In short... IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad is a good choice right now. It's frequently on sale, has good discounts and it sits in the middle of the time periods with Battle of Moscow being 1941-42, Stalingrad being 42-43 and Kuban being firmly in 1943. The aircraft in Stalingrad sometimes apply to Moscow multiplayer battles and will very likely apply to Kuban battles too. A good place to be for multiplayer matches.

Battle of Moscow is great but if you are just getting one to start (totally reasonable) I'd go with Stalingrad first.

• Upvote 2

Ikharus, I've used the TM T-Flight HOTAS X for about a year and a half. It's a good stick, and perfectly fit for Il-2.

• Upvote 1

I wrote a guide to that you might want to check out :) https://stormbirds.wordpress.com/2017/03/12/which-il-2-should-i-buy/

In short... IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad is a good choice right now. It's frequently on sale, has good discounts and it sits in the middle of the time periods with Battle of Moscow being 1941-42, Stalingrad being 42-43 and Kuban being firmly in 1943. The aircraft in Stalingrad sometimes apply to Moscow multiplayer battles and will very likely apply to Kuban battles too. A good place to be for multiplayer matches.

Battle of Moscow is great but if you are just getting one to start (totally reasonable) I'd go with Stalingrad first.

You're the best. That's awesome thank you.

~S~

Greetings from Finland!

Long story short; I was an enthusiatic IL2 player back in the days, up until 2008 or so. After that, life got in the way and steered me away from gaming. Six months ago, i reinstalled the il2 (the "old" il2 1946, i mean) connected to hyperlobby and was expecting to find a decent amount of guys still playing it online. However, i was disappointed about the number of online servers and players. So that was that, it wasn´t enough to get me excited about the game again.

A few days ago, when i was browsing the internet, i learned that newer versions of the game exists (battle of Stalingrad and Moscow). I have no idea why haven´t heard of these before, but stumbling upon this forum got me excited again; i would love to get back to online flying. I have a couple of questions though, before i buy the game;

1. Compared to the "old" il2, how "arcade"-like are BoS and BoM? (i read that they are a bit different than what il2 was back in the days)

2. How active is the online gaming community? I mean, how many active servers and players would i expect to find when i log in, on an average evening (GMT+2)

I´m all about online gaming, the only game i play by myself is steel panthers world at war (almost two decades old and it still rocks!), which is why question #2 is a deal breaker for me, when it comes to purchasing this game

This game is great.  No tutorial, no basic explanation of missions.  Makes it super easy to uninstall

Ask away and we can help here, armoden :) Check out Requiem's Air Combat Library on YouTube for tutorials on the very basics of it, this should get you up to speed.

Jma, 1. it's far more realistic in terms of flight dynamics, damage modelling, ballistics and visuals. Definitely a worthy step up.

2. You can always expect to find 3-6 very active servers. Because the majority of the playing base is in Europe and the Asian part of Russia, Finnish evenings are prime time for good action so you're guaranteed to have entertainment for that time.

Edited by 216th_Lucas_From_Hell

Guest deleted@30725

This game is great.  No tutorial, no basic explanation of missions.  Makes it super easy to uninstall

Glad you have money to waste on something you were never interested in enough to bother learning.

There are loads of free resources written and video guides on youtube for someone that's interested to take 30 min to get to grips with the game.

Lucas,

Thx for the info!

I was able to find a copy of BoS, for only 25 euro´s, so even if didn´t end up loving the game, it´s not a big loss:)

• Upvote 1

Oh boy, be careful with lower priced copies sold by third parties... they usually end up being the crappy Russian starter version that still has unlocks and stuff.

"Oh boy, be careful with lower priced copies sold by third parties... they usually end up being the crappy Russian starter version that still has unlocks and stuff."

Ummm.. so, there are multiple versions of the same game in the market? I assumed that the stupid unlock system was fixed with patches? So you install the original version and the steam installs the latest patches after that.

I installed the game and steam has been downloading updates for hours now... pretty ridiculous..

"Oh boy, be careful with lower priced copies sold by third parties... they usually end up being the crappy Russian starter version that still has unlocks and stuff."

Ummm.. so, there are multiple versions of the same game in the market? I assumed that the stupid unlock system was fixed with patches? So you install the original version and the steam installs the latest patches after that.

I installed the game and steam has been downloading updates for hours now... pretty ridiculous..

If you bought it in some sketchy bargain site, then you get what you paid for.

• Upvote 1

It's not as black and white. GameStop sells DVD cheap copies, Steam has sales, etc.

You know exactly what i mean, some site like G2A that somehow got hold of a bunch of serial keys meant exclusively for the russian market.

There are only two versions officially on sale in the western market. Standard and Premium versions of IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad and Battle of Moscow (Kuban is early access and only Premium is available right now). Premium gives you access to two more planes in each. There is another version for sale for cheap in the Russian market... some of them made their way west. Get what you pay for.

Plenty of tutorials located in this sub-forum: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/82-manuals-tutorials-guides-and-tips/

There are a couple of tutorial missions that start off the IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad campaign. Not super useful but they get you started. Flight sims have traditionally not been great on tutorials but very good on community support to produce lots of extras above and beyond what a developer typically could put together. This is the sort of game that you get what you put into it... so spend a little time learning the aircraft, the controls and then it becomes very rewarding.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive

jma78: 

I understand you very well. I went the same route.... Playing old IL2 for many years, than many years absolutely no gaming and when I found (with lucky) new BOS, I was just amazed. 

I crashed the plane again and again just to see the perfect physics laws implemented.

Decision was made immediately. I bought very new PC. From other wage I bought VR set and now I am looking for each evening just to connect and see all the known players connected in multiplayer map.

Yes, this game is worth for sure. It is worth for any money.It is better than vacation in Croatia, or whereever you usually go.

New version of IL2 has all the things that you could ever miss in old one.

- Fantastic Flight Model (yes old one was also quite good)

- Realistic damage model

- Tuned graphic to todays standard

- Real grass - clay airfields

- Posiibility to fight in tanks - this give to the game another dimension

- try the collision with trees, this is must be!

and if you play this in VR, then any words are too small to describe the experience....

Welcome back in IL2 Legendary simulator !

Edited by 9th_Polk_Vasilij

~S~

Greetings from Finland!

Long story short; I was an enthusiatic IL2 player back in the days, up until 2008 or so. After that, life got in the way and steered me away from gaming. Six months ago, i reinstalled the il2 (the "old" il2 1946, i mean) connected to hyperlobby and was expecting to find a decent amount of guys still playing it online. However, i was disappointed about the number of online servers and players. So that was that, it wasn´t enough to get me excited about the game again.

A few days ago, when i was browsing the internet, i learned that newer versions of the game exists (battle of Stalingrad and Moscow). I have no idea why haven´t heard of these before, but stumbling upon this forum got me excited again; i would love to get back to online flying. I have a couple of questions though, before i buy the game;

1. Compared to the "old" il2, how "arcade"-like are BoS and BoM? (i read that they are a bit different than what il2 was back in the days)

2. How active is the online gaming community? I mean, how many active servers and players would i expect to find when i log in, on an average evening (GMT+2)

I´m all about online gaming, the only game i play by myself is steel panthers world at war (almost two decades old and it still rocks!), which is why question #2 is a deal breaker for me, when it comes to purchasing this game

Hope to help with your questions:

1) Compared to IL-2: 1946, IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad/Moscow/Kuban have a higher level of fidelity for aircraft physics as well as things like systems, engine management, weapons and damage modeling. There are some simplifications such as not requiring a full startup sequence like some of the very high fidelity DCS aircraft but aside from that button pressing, IL-2: BoX (as we call the whole series) is really really good from a simulation level of things.

2) It's getting there. It used to be pretty quiet in the early days but there are more servers popping up and more servers becoming filled up. As always, MP is better with a squad or at least a group of players. There are multiple TeamSpeak and Discord channels going now too so its growing. A bit like the later days of IL-2: Forgotten Battles after the Ace Expansion Pack came out and there were a growing number of multiplayer squads and players. Great time to jump in now!

If you bought it in some sketchy bargain site, then you get what you paid for.

There are only two versions officially on sale in the western market. Standard and Premium versions of IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad and Battle of Moscow (Kuban is early access and only Premium is available right now). Premium gives you access to two more planes in each. There is another version for sale for cheap in the Russian market... some of them made their way west. Get what you pay for.

Plenty of tutorials located in this sub-forum: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/82-manuals-tutorials-guides-and-tips/

There are a couple of tutorial missions that start off the IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad campaign. Not super useful but they get you started. Flight sims have traditionally not been great on tutorials but very good on community support to produce lots of extras above and beyond what a developer typically could put together. This is the sort of game that you get what you put into it... so spend a little time learning the aircraft, the controls and then it becomes very rewarding.

In Finland, business is so controlled by the law that we don´t really have sketchy bargain sites :biggrin: Thx for the link for the tutorials!

Ok, i managed to install the game, and everything seems to work just fine. I went to see the multiplayer servers and sure enough, found quite a few active!

jma78: 

I understand you very well. I went the same route.... Playing old IL2 for many years, than many years absolutely no gaming and when I found (with lucky) new BOS, I was just amazed. 

I crashed the plane again and again just to see the perfect physics laws implemented.

Decision was made immediately. I bought very new PC. From other wage I bought VR set and now I am looking for each evening just to connect and see all the known players connected in multiplayer map.

Yes, this game is worth for sure. It is worth for any money.It is better than vacation in Croatia, or whereever you usually go.

New version of IL2 has all the things that you could ever miss in old one.

- Fantastic Flight Model (yes old one was also quite good)

- Realistic damage model

- Tuned graphic to todays standard

- Real grass - clay airfields

- Posiibility to fight in tanks - this give to the game another dimension

- try the collision with trees, this is must be!

and if you play this in VR, then any words are too small to describe the experience....

Welcome back in IL2 Legendary simulator !

I know exatcly what you mean with that rough start; i played a few single player missions and man, are my skills rusty or what! I simply do not have what it takes to be a virtual pilot anymore; i spent half the time struggling just to keep the plane in the air. I seriusly need some practise before i have any business of joining the multiplayer servers :rolleyes:

What i also found out that joysticks don´t like sitting in a storage unit for 8-9 years, so i need to upgrade my controlls. Also, my bench/computertable-setup is totally unsuitable for a flight simulator, so a new table is a must before i can seriously start playing..

Hi everyone,

just thought I'd jump in and salute. Seasoned central-EU simmer here (flying the good old IL-2 since 2001, with a "short" break last couple of years - still have it installed on the disk tho!). Bought the whole new IL-2 package with all the collector planes recently - and boy I am impressed!

See you all online someday.

S!

Hiya!

The sale ending Nov 1 is *perfect* timing, thank you!

Much easier to convince the wife (my financial adviser) to let me 'play' :)

I was pointed here by a friend (Moggy aka Gary Cooper, not the dead one) after he posted his video ..then spent the next couple days watching youtube video's.

Zetexa, SimSheriff, Magz and Bismarck brought the game to life in those video's ..just awesome how far air combat sims have come.

Bought, downloaded, played the *crap* out of till dawn ..ya .. all that. And more.

Completely dweebed out in a Sturmovik on Wings of Liberty server, late nite.

Took off way too loaded (the Plane .. I was just over tired :) ..argghh .no MAP ..flew compass heading from memory of map in plane setup..

..30 minutes later, still struggling to keep the Sturmovik out of the trees ..followed a road and found an airfield!

Very blown up ..far behind the lines (just a guess) ..server reset in 5 minutes, what the heck, lets Land!

Plane all setup on downwind, flaps, check, gear, check, close to desired airspeed and trimmed out ..check ..

..turn base, ..descending, ..final .. looking good ..

..hit the Eject button by mistake just over the runway threshold ...CHECK!!

I am Out, chute pops, one swing, hit the dirt ..plane does a beautiful slow arc up into the sky right over the tower,

..gives up flying about a hundred feet up and noses over into a big hanger just blowing itself to BITS!!

I laughed to tears.

What a beautiful sim :)

• Upvote 2

Hello pilots :)

I want to buy Il2 because i would like to play multiplayer. What should i buy? IL2 Stalingrad or Mosocow? 

You could say i am intermediate when it comes to flight simulators. I already have ROF and also some planes in DCS. I am not a rookie but not a vet. also.

So two aspects should be prioritized. First, what do people play more? Moscow or Stalingrad? 

Second. Like i said i am not a vet. So i would prefer a good easy to fly plane with possibility for ability to horizontally fight. 

Thanks

Either game is high quality and you will have access to all maps online regardless of which edition you purchase. Personally, I'd go with Stalingrad but there will be others just as set on Moscow floating around. I think you generally have better P/W ratio and the ability to be competitive with the later planeset.

HerrMurf is right. Plus with the BOS planes, you are more likely to have something to fly in any online mission. Be warned though, once you get a taste, you may compulsively buy all the content you can get your hands on.  :good:

Edited by Cpt_Cool

Hello pilots :)

I want to buy Il2 because i would like to play multiplayer. What should i buy? IL2 Stalingrad or Mosocow? 

You could say i am intermediate when it comes to flight simulators. I already have ROF and also some planes in DCS. I am not a rookie but not a vet. also.

So two aspects should be prioritized. First, what do people play more? Moscow or Stalingrad? 

Second. Like i said i am not a vet. So i would prefer a good easy to fly plane with possibility for ability to horizontally fight. 

Thanks

I would also recommend Stalingrad. For soviet side you'll get Yak-1s69 which, in my opinion is what you are looking. And two nice performing 109s for axis. You can wait for discounts and later complement that set with some of "collector" planes and have perfect set for multiplayer.

Here is a hard lesson I learned recently(I am new to flightsims):

Fly on singleplayer and only normal difficulty.

I know normal has some kind of stigma, but to jump directly into expert is just unnecessary frustrating. 

Same with multiplayer, you will be outdone by everybody even a half year in.

Allow yourself to win, this will reduce exhaustion and help with motivation!

Edited by Leon_Portier

Hello to a new community.  I've been playing IL2 since its beginning and only just recently have transitioned into BOS, BOM and BOK.  I love them all and look forward to getting to understand this sim better; however, I a bit confused as to how to load some of the new skins provided in this forum into the game itself as I'm currently using a STEAM version.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-snip- how to load some of the new skins provided in this forum into the game itself as I'm currently using a STEAM version. 

Hi, you just put it into the skins folder. It is locatet in the game data.

For example "L:\SteamyLibrary\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\skins".

From here you locate the plane and put it in!

Edited by Leon_Portier

I'm coming in nearly completely blind here... I preordered bob...BoB... (open) BoB

I haven't really played a REAL flight sim aside from some microsoft thing from about over 5 years ago. I play war thunder but that is the closest otherwise and that doesn't really count either regardless. I have seen gameplay of some of the IL-2 games on youtube and was a little interested. I saw a video by a yt channel I am subscribed to and he announced the new battle of bodenplatte and I saw the selection of aircraft (shame there is no He-162 because I'd prefer that over a 262) and decided now would be a great time for me to jump into a high quality flight sim. I'm just wondering if there are some things that would be important for me to know. I have a good computer and a joystick with a lot of functionality (including self defense).

I'm coming in nearly completely blind here... I preordered bob...BoB... (open) BoB

I haven't really played a REAL flight sim aside from some microsoft thing from about over 5 years ago. I play war thunder but that is the closest otherwise and that doesn't really count either regardless. I have seen gameplay of some of the IL-2 games on youtube and was a little interested. I saw a video by a yt channel I am subscribed to and he announced the new battle of bodenplatte and I saw the selection of aircraft (shame there is no He-162 because I'd prefer that over a 262) and decided now would be a great time for me to jump into a high quality flight sim. I'm just wondering if there are some things that would be important for me to know. I have a good computer and a joystick with a lot of functionality (including self defense).

Glad to have you aboard. If you are looking to try out the functions of the game you wont get any content for BoB until the first aircraft is released for it. Im guessing that is somewhere in the middle of 2018, say march or april. 

If you wana get the feel for the game now you are just int time for a sale on their other products. It all runs off the same client so think WT terms of same engine, all planes and maps. I'd suggest BoS as a starter personally. After that it seems you are ready to go on the hardware department.

Agree, if you are looking to get your feet wet drop a few more dollars on BoS and get going. Jumping directly into BoBp and expecting to find success could be a difficult proposition. Remember many, if not most, of the pilots have thousands of hours on this and other flight sims. That experience counts for A LOT!!

Start out with a fairly automated aircraft, such as a Bf 109, in single player. Remember to scan religiously before, during and after contact to get in the habit. Stay fast, don't follow an enemy through more than 180 degrees at first, then 270 after a few weeks, then 360, then you can furball in a few months with the AI. Gained confidence? Join MP and be eaten alive for a while, have your spirit crushed, then score your first MP kill and feel like a king. Bring a friend or make some friends on teamspeak. They are invaluable in MP.

Seriously, get on it dude. And most of all - have fun.

• Upvote 3

Having spent a kings ransom War Thunder over the years, I must say that IL2 BoS is now my go to game for WWII gaming simulation, even eclipsing my other favourite title DCS.  I do have one query though, can anyone point me to a legend for the maps. Some of the symbols are not terribly obvious to me.

Hello everyone, this is my first visit here.

I did not find the answer to my question in FAQ so I guess this is the next best place to ask it.

Question: Is it possible to buy all 3 Battles(premium editions) in a single purchase at a discounted price? If so, is there any link in the Store since I did not see any such option?

Thank you!

Edited by 15JG52Robi

Question: Is it possible to buy all 3 Battles(premium editions) in a single purchase at a discounted price? 

Short answer: No!

;)