New Players start here ...

55 minutes ago, jasonbarron said:

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement, HerrMurf. Yeah, I was just being silly, I totally plan on working hard and learning the game. The biggest problem I think at the outset is just trying to figure out how to get started on this massive topic (combat flight) and learn the difference between what I'm doing wrong in terms of pilot ability or lack thereof and how much my controls being poorly setup are contributing to my deficient performance. When I compile a list of questions I'll be back. 

See this post for plenty of resources to help you out.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, JimTM said:

Also, these older '46 video's by Dart are absoultely top notch. If they aren't in that library, Jim, could you include them?

https://www.amazon.com/Pursuit-Pilots-Guide-Online-Combat/dp/9197607703/ref=pd_sbs_2?pd_rd_w=lPxVQ&pf_rd_p=527ea27c-adf6-4b67-9c5f-265eb29e0622&pf_rd_r=6M00SP550YDHW7D4XQN0&pd_rd_r=d3b98f28-892c-4b0b-878e-7530b66ccd3f&pd_rd_wg=P0G15&pd_rd_i=9197607703&psc=1

• Like 1
2 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Sure, but do you have a link to the videos; I just see the Amazon link.

1 hour ago, JimTM said:

Sure, but do you have a link to the videos; I just see the Amazon link.

Sorry,

The first three are the most useful and have aged well. The fourth will be a link to the full series but they are more specific to '46

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, JimTM said:

Jim  if you haven't already you can also gleam tips on you tube.  Ape of the year and der sherrif are good sources of tips as is I fly Central

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

A list of what you use as controllers, joystick, etc... would be helpful for us to help you.

Virpil CM3 throttle and Virpil Alpha Constellation grip mounted on a WarBRD base. I don't seriously think it's my controllers at this point, but more likely my misunderstanding of flight principles. Prior to picking up BoB my total terrestrial flight experience was as a new pilot in MFS 2020. For instance I'm starting with quick missions and 1v1 against the AI and the AI can constantly out-turn me to the point where if I try to mimic their moves I go black and/or lose control of the plane and begin to spin. So, if I play it safe the AI (even on Novice mind you lolol) has no problem out maneuvering me and ripping me a new one. Any advice on what I should be focusing on? A particular plane more suited for rookies and then what kind of match-ups should I be pitting myself against in quick missions? Or maybe not worrying about combat at all for a while and practicing maneuvers?

Edit: I posted this before bothering to refresh my page from four hours ago--hit refresh and saw that there were a whole lotta helpful posts; I'll dig through them all, thanks everyone!

Edited by jasonbarron
  • Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, jasonbarron said:

Any advice on what I should be focusing on? A particular plane more suited for rookies and then what kind of match-ups should I be pitting myself against in quick missions? Or maybe not worrying about combat at all for a while and practicing maneuvers?

Against AI, eventually, you'll be able to beat them in most any matchup because the AI simply ain't as smart as you'll become. However, in the beginning, it's probably better to fly a plane with more maneuvarbility than the AI. I started out with basically drones--unarmed Ju-52s to practice gunnery. Then I graduated to Bf-110s at novice level, then Fw-190s (a plane the AI is poor at flying), then Bf-109s (you can tell I fly allied planes almost exclusively). My first plane of choice was the Yak with complex engine management. It's very maneuverable and very forgiving at low speeds. I'd recommend something like the Yak, or Spitfire or even Tempest to start. Get good at one of them and then branch out.

Admission: I don't fly much the last two months and I've never flown live ops, which is a whole 'nother ballgame.

• Like 1

Contradict me if I'm wrong but as the only game in the Great Battles series I own is Battle of Bodenplatte am I not limited to the planes that came exclusively with that particular title?

As ones you can fly, yes.  However I believe you can fly against anything from the series with them as AI.

What have you been flying?

13 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

As ones you can fly, yes.  However I believe you can fly against anything from the series with them as AI.

What have you been flying?

So far just the Spitfire against Bf 109 G-14

You can fly everything in the module you purchased. You cannot fly anything from a module you have not purchased. You can fly against anything in the series in single player and multi-player whether you have purchased them or not. The caveat is you can fly against anything the server you choose has active. If it is set by the map designer to not have certain aircraft, for say historical purposes, you could get locked out of that map. So, you might not get to fly a Normandy module plane in a historical set Moscow scenario.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf
clarity
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, jasonbarron said:

So far just the Spitfire against Bf 109 G-14

The Bf-109s are pretty good turners, although once you get used to riding the outside of the envelope of the Spit, you'll out turn them. The problem at first is hitting anything in tight turning battles. Hence, I'd recommend practicing deflection shooting at those poor old Ju-52s. Practice shooting them from high deflection angles and snap shots. It took me a month to feel like I was just an average shot compared to what I saw on youtube.

But it is fun to shoot them down, even if it isn't sporting!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, jamesirjames said:

Quick noob question:

I came offline a couple times today while completing some single player career missions.  Can you still earn medals/awards in career mode if you get the "offline" message while in game or before you start playing said career?  Thanks in advance!

Career Mode is very dependent on being online whilst playing.

Hey y'all...

I FINALLY got my new PC up and running.  Today I installed IL-2 BOS et. al.  Fired up the game and WOW!!!  It looks great!!!  I hopped in a plane (Quick Mission) and quickly found that my Thrustmaster Hotas X throttle is backwards/inverted (i.e., push forward and the engine slows, pull backwards and the engine speeds up).  D'OH!!!!!!!!  I have been scouring the internet for a fix to this problem.  I installed the Thrustmaster driver from the internet but the control panel that comes with it does not give me the ability to calibrate the throttle.  So I uninstalled and tried calibrating using Windows 10 joystick calibration tool.  No dice.  Can anyone help?

10 minutes ago, Gienek said:

Hey y'all...

I FINALLY got my new PC up and running.  Today I installed IL-2 BOS et. al.  Fired up the game and WOW!!!  It looks great!!!  I hopped in a plane (Quick Mission) and quickly found that my Thrustmaster Hotas X throttle is backwards/inverted (i.e., push forward and the engine slows, pull backwards and the engine speeds up).  D'OH!!!!!!!!  I have been scouring the internet for a fix to this problem.  I installed the Thrustmaster driver from the internet but the control panel that comes with it does not give me the ability to calibrate the throttle.  So I uninstalled and tried calibrating using Windows 10 joystick calibration tool.  No dice.  Can anyone help?

Beside your throttle bind in IL-2, click the hook icon ("Invert").

28 minutes ago, Gienek said:

Hey y'all...

You should be able to calibrate in Windows. Have you ensured you moved it in the correct sequence in the IL2 GUI? If so, then Jim's suggestion to click the invert/u-turn symbol in the game GUI should do it for you. I do all of my device inputs in the GUI in the first row and delete anything in the other (two?) rows to the right of the primary box.

On 3/1/2021 at 4:39 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

Be careful with the words that you choose (or don't.  this is the internet after all).  Vaporware has a very specific connotation of promises not kept.  That does not describe this teams performance at all, and is 100% false with regards to deliveries of modules paid for in advance.  Every element of every module that they have taken money for has been delivered.  

OK, I officially apologize for the term "Vaporware|" comment! And to seal the deal I purchased it so that's that, I just hope they release it soon, it's been an early release for quite some time... and I do own FC and BOS too, bought on Steam before I knew better.. 😉

Edited by Icer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Icer said:

I purchased it so that's that, I just hope they release it soon, it's been an early release for quite some time...

In December, Jason gave us the following regarding expectations and releases:

As 2021 progresses you will see Normandy and Flying Circus content released in roughly this order. Hopefully, all fits within the twelve months of 2021, if not then first half of 2022.

• Thanks 1
On 3/9/2021 at 7:51 AM, Icer said:

OK, I officially apologize for the term "Vaporware|" comment! And to seal the deal I purchased it so that's that, I just hope they release it soon, it's been an early release for quite some time... and I do own FC and BOS too, bought on Steam before I knew better.. 😉

It takes around 24-30 months for the team to deliver the next title. It's been that way since the first title was released. We're not quite halfway there and it's almost always the case that the title really only starts to come together and feel like something complete near the end. Look for a couple of new aircraft over the next few months.

• Like 1
On 3/8/2021 at 9:02 PM, jasonbarron said:

Virpil CM3 throttle and Virpil Alpha Constellation grip mounted on a WarBRD base. I don't seriously think it's my controllers at this point, but more likely my misunderstanding of flight principles. Prior to picking up BoB my total terrestrial flight experience was as a new pilot in MFS 2020. For instance I'm starting with quick missions and 1v1 against the AI and the AI can constantly out-turn me to the point where if I try to mimic their moves I go black and/or lose control of the plane and begin to spin. So, if I play it safe the AI (even on Novice mind you lolol) has no problem out maneuvering me and ripping me a new one. Any advice on what I should be focusing on? A particular plane more suited for rookies and then what kind of match-ups should I be pitting myself against in quick missions? Or maybe not worrying about combat at all for a while and practicing maneuvers?

Edit: I posted this before bothering to refresh my page from four hours ago--hit refresh and saw that there were a whole lotta helpful posts; I'll dig through them all, thanks everyone!

as u have bodenplatte i suggest u try flying a spit vs any FW a. or german side i suggest 109 vs a p 47.

this way u will have more maneuverable fighter than the AI. avoid blacking out tho.

when turning with enemy u dont always need to point ur nose in front of them (lead pursuit) u can turn with them while pointing ur nose behind them (lag pursuit) this will most of the time turn into lead pursuit if u want to shoot. try these different methods and u'll see how it goes.

edit: AI has tendency to enter high speed high radius turn were u end up following them but never being able to lead enough to shoot.  i suggest u turn another way or fly straight but climb a bit to get the AI do something else.

if u continue following him doin those large radius high speed circles, u 2 will be flying circles until u run out of gas lol.

Edited by Mollotin
  • Like 1
On 3/8/2021 at 3:18 PM, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

I edited that book! 🙂

• Like 1
On 3/8/2021 at 3:18 PM, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Is there an eBook available?

Wanting to play a scripted campaign where I can fly a BF or FW.  I have BOM, BOS, Battle of Kuban and Bodenplate.  All I can access is Wind of Fury, Sea Dragons and Lightning Strike.  Havoc over Kuban, Hell Hawks over the Bulge, Achtung Spitfire, Breaking Point, Last Chance, Ice Ring, Fortress on the Volga, Blazing Steppe, Ten Days of Autumn, Spring Offensive and Kaiserschlacht are locked!  What gives??

1 hour ago, jamesirjames said:

Wanting to play a scripted campaign where I can fly a BF or FW.  I have BOM, BOS, Battle of Kuban and Bodenplate.  All I can access is Wind of Fury, Sea Dragons and Lightning Strike.  Havoc over Kuban, Hell Hawks over the Bulge, Achtung Spitfire, Breaking Point, Last Chance, Ice Ring, Fortress on the Volga, Blazing Steppe, Ten Days of Autumn, Spring Offensive and Kaiserschlacht are locked!  What gives??

Those are sold separately. See https://il2sturmovik.com/store/campaigns/

Note there are more than a few campaigns for free, designed by players, in the folder:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/111-scripted-campaigns/

On 3/8/2021 at 8:28 PM, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

I do all of my device inputs in the GUI in the first row and delete anything in the other (two?) rows to the right of the primary box.

Interesting.  I always leave the "default row", on the left, alone and add my control binds in the middle and/or right columns so that if something goes amiss with my HOTAS or keybinds I can "default to the defaults".  Especially useful when I'm adding complexity to my engine management.ordiance skills.  I can use the keyboard defaults to see what happens then decide where to map them to either my HOTAS or modify (for easier access) the keyboard bind.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there

Back after 4 years. i'm actually downloading BOS and all the great battles titles through Steam. Don't know how's the game nowadays, hope i'll see few people on servers.

I don't even know if playing by steam is an issue consider to all different patches and version we had few years ago.

Anyway, glad to see some living peolpe here ! 

The game is awesome!  I'm an old IL-2 1946er from the earliest days (2001) and I seldom fly that title anymore as BoX is superior in almost every way.

Yes, there are a "few" people on the servers.  🤣  Quite a few actually.

Steam is OK I guess but when new content comes out it is sometimes delayed for Steam users to acquire. 

On the plus side it automatically updates the game for you.

A major downside for me personally is that they take a piece of the $pie$ from the Devs for providing the "service".

Make sure you link your Steam Account to the website.

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to the game and to the forum, just read the rules so please excuse me if my post doesn't belong where it should.

My name is Alex and I just got really interested in the technical and realistic nature of that game. One thing bothers me though, I have CVD (color vision disorder) that gives me a hard time making out red, brown and green. I know this is a big no go to become a real pilot (even in WW2), but does it mean I was wrong buying the simulation too for the same reasons?

Thank you!:-)

51 minutes ago, AlexJacobs said:

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to the game and to the forum, just read the rules so please excuse me if my post doesn't belong where it should.

My name is Alex and I just got really interested in the technical and realistic nature of that game. One thing bothers me though, I have CVD (color vision disorder) that gives me a hard time making out red, brown and green. I know this is a big no go to become a real pilot (even in WW2), but does it mean I was wrong buying the simulation too for the same reasons?

Thank you!:-)

Hi Alex and welcome.

I'm not sure if this will be of any help but you can change the color of how enemies appear in "Flight Interface" settings.

Have you tried swapping around the colors? So enemies can appear as blue or red?

Not sure if this will help with your condition but maybe worth a try?

Hi Alex and welcome to the forums👍.

I think you’re asking a question that really only you can answer.

Have you installed and used the game yet?

Hello to the both of you

I mean, I can see colors and tell differences between most but some shades (light brown, orange and greens) are difficult for me to make out. I know pilot candidates are disqualified if they can't pick the nuances in tests like Ishihara's (you can look it up). So far I flew a bf109 F4 for 7 hours or so and I have no issues. But if the simulation is as complete as I think it is, I will struggle during night flights... This picture would actually exemplify my disorder more clearly:

what-color-blind-people-see-different-tywhat-color-blind-people-see-different-ty

(Source: You'll Be Surprised How People With Color Blindness See The World (10 Pics) | DeMilked )

Edited by AlexJacobs

Well for what its worth I have a mild form of color blindness (Red & Green) ,  but I think i manage it OK (both in life and most video games! ) 

Although perhaps I can start using it as an excuse for my poor performance in il-2! 😉

Anyway, welcome again to il-2.

PS - I wonder could Reshade help you in anyway? Maybe play around with it and see... Although it cant be used in Multiplayer anymore to the best of my knowledge.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, AlexJacobs said:

I have severe color blindness (certain reds look black or green or brown; greens and yellows are similar to each other, blue and purple are essentially the same to me, etc), and I've never had a problem.

Spotting isn't difficult for me, since spotting is more about noticing movement and shapes instead of camouflage efficacy. Likewise, discerning friend from foe in a dogfight is much more dependent on recognizing plane shapes than national color schemes.

Night flying isn't really common unless you join a night flying unit. It's pretty avoidable otherwise. I don't try night flying at all, so I'm not sure how much of a disadvantage colorblindness would be.

The only other instance I can think of where color would be an issue is instrument lights (like fuel gauge lights, or landing gear lights). Ultimately, I've never had a problem doing what I need to do.

Heya folks,

Been simming decades now, but for some odd reason I never picked up IL2 until...today lol. A bit lost at the moment as I'm a complete noob, but I know and love the drill of RTFMing. I love DCS and have many modern combat modules for it, but I was hankering for some WWII action and the biggest selling point for starting a career with IL2 was the community behind it so here I am. looking forward to joining some servers in a couple years when I've mastered some air frames. :)

I've just picked up the BoS,M,K, and Bodenplatte, a couple collector planes and a few scripted campaigns. It all looks good 'cept I'm rubbish at the moment. I have a lot to chew on with all that DLC for the moment so that's good. I use a TM Warthog Throttle and a VKB Gunfighter Pro joystick so configuring my setup is definitely taking some time. I saw a couple great threads in the manuals and tutorials section so I'll definitely be spending some time there. I just had three questions:

1) Should I post questions about the sim/planes here? or where?

2) Are the cockpits clickable with the mouse. I don't care if they're not. I was just curious as when I move my mouse in the cockpit it 'jiggles' my head around so I was bit confused by that. I use a Delan clip for headtracking and it works great so far I just cant access anything in the cockpit with the mouse, I assume this is by design?

3)Trimming the planes seems a bit weird to me so far. I've set buttons on my joystick for elevator trim and it doesn't appear to do anything or much ( I am aware the BF109 and other frames are a bit different with the use of the stabilator). I've also tried setting an axis with the same sub-optimal result. This relates to the 2nd question, can I use the trim wheel with the mouse in the cockpit somehow?

[EDIT: When i say sub-optimal I mean the trim functions appears to work when set to an axis. I can see the trim percentage going up or down on the right side of the screen, but if I let the slider go back to center, it re-centers the trim. This sounds logical, but I haven't seen this behavior in other sims like MSFS or DCS etc. There's definitely something obvious I'm missing]

4) Sorry, I know I said 3, but how do you start 'Cold n Dark' on the ground?

[EDIT: Got it "Parked or Runway" - Had not opened that menu yet]

Thanks in advance for any tips I need to start learning.

Cheers

Baller

Edited by Baller
  • Upvote 1

Welcome Baller!

1.  General questions are fine right where you put them.

2. No clickey pits in this sim.  (BOX). CLOD does have it.

3.  Trimming is best done on buttons.  Stabilizer, trim and  whatever the third option is can be mapped to the same keys, or mapped separately.

4.  Nm.

:)