Jump to content

New Players start here ...


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

It means that you get the content as it is ready. Right now, the Battle of Normandy map isn't ready. Because you pre-ordered it, when it IS ready, you get access to it immediately, rather than wait for release.

Right now, the only thing out so far for BoN is the P-47D-22, but the 190A-6 and Spitfire XIV are in pretty good shape, as well as the Typhoon, so we should see some of those in the next 3 or 4 months I think.

 

Thanks Red!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a number of settings in different 'Controls' that I want to preserve (Plane/Weapons/Camera), but I'd like to restore the settings in 'Tank controls' to default.

I have the 'Tank control' window open - does the 'Default" button just restore settings within 'Tank control'?

 

Never mind- I figured it out. Pretty slick really!

 

Edited by Adler23FalkeAuge
Problem solved
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2021 at 12:33 PM, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Go to the website and login. Go to the License Key tab in your profile, it's red in the upper right. In your license keys, scroll down and activate BOS. Start the game and the downloader will check for keys (in the background). Your BOS content should be immediately available for play once the game launches. In very rare occasions you might have to restart the game a few times before it shows up but after that it's permanent.

 

Ok, turns out all I had to do do was to login to the game on my PC (while connected to the Internet) and boom, all my new content was there, unlocked. 

 

Thanks for the help man!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dannnyjos said:

 

Ok, turns out all I had to do do was to login to the game on my PC (while connected to the Internet) and boom, all my new content was there, unlocked. 

 

Thanks for the help man!

 

It's what we do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, what a wonderful flight sim!  Played the original IL 2 years ago and enjoyed it.  This one is on another level.  I downloaded most of the extra campaigns and just started a career with the Luftwaffe.  I only have a couple 100 hours invested as of late.  I have a couple questions:

 

Should I think about downloading the PWCG?  I want to get the most out of my careers.  Should I play on "vanilla" IL 2 for awhile, or upgrade asap?

 

Should I download SweetFX and FlightFX?  I run a RTX 2070.  Would these installs be worth it?

 

Thanks in advance for the input.  This seems like a great community.  I look forward to learning a lot and enjoying this amazing WWII flight experience.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, 
I just installed BOBP & BOS a few days ago. Do I need to manually download patches in the future, or do these installments auto-patch themselves when connected to the Internet?

Note: I play mostly OFFLINE (quick missions). 

 

TY.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jamesirjames said:

Wow, what a wonderful flight sim!  Played the original IL 2 years ago and enjoyed it.  This one is on another level.  I downloaded most of the extra campaigns and just started a career with the Luftwaffe.  I only have a couple 100 hours invested as of late.  I have a couple questions:

 

Should I think about downloading the PWCG?  I want to get the most out of my careers.  Should I play on "vanilla" IL 2 for awhile, or upgrade asap?

 

Should I download SweetFX and FlightFX?  I run a RTX 2070.  Would these installs be worth it?

 

Thanks in advance for the input.  This seems like a great community.  I look forward to learning a lot and enjoying this amazing WWII flight experience.

 

@jamesirjames

 

PWCG is on a bit of another level, IMHO. It's not necessarily better than the default dynamic campaign, just different. Though personally, I think PWCG offers more diversity, but that's just me and is possibly a placebo effect. The only drawback to it is that you're constantly shuffling back and forth between your game and the desktop whilst making changes in the PWCG app and then launching the IL-2.

 

If you own Bodenplatte and for my own personal plug, you could give my WIP mod here a go.

 

But if I were you, I'd stick with the provided campaign system before moving on to anything else.

 

EDIT:

 

@Tucan

 

Is there a reason you have the face of a black guy photoshopped onto the upper-body of a chimp?

Edited by DetCord12B
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2021 at 5:37 AM, DetCord12B said:

 

@Tucan

 

Is there a reason you have the face of a black guy photoshopped onto the upper-body of a chimp?

 

Moderators are dealing with it...

 

Edited by Icer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been searching for a "keyboard key assignments" sheet or sheets for IL2 to have on hand as I play too many different sims to remember what is what. Found something from 2019 (IL2 ver. 3.201), is there something comprehensive and more up to date out there? The guy that did it did a great job, just want to be sure it's up-to-date..

 

Edited by Icer
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies!

 

I've started playing multiplayer and I always fly Germany in the JU-88 or BF 110-E2 preferably the BF 110-G2 if it's available. After I complete a mission I then switch to a BF-109 or FW-190 with a single under belly bomb and look for small targets to drop my single bomb on. And then I orbit around a friendly land target looking for enemy bombers/ ground attackers.

I really don't like the fact that Russia has an unfair advantage with the sun in the morning. The Germans are always trying to push east after all. I don't seem to come across late evening missions with the sun behind me as a German pilot.

 

The hardest thing for me so far is keeping sight of an enemy fighter as we are turn fighting together at the same low altitude below 1 KM. I just keep loosing sight of him. I am usually in a FW-190 though, so if I'm hit I tend to run whilst doing the dolphin and then eventually start slowly climbing. I'm never going to turn fight near the deck in a FW-190 again! Only boom and zoom for now, or energy trap. I find the FW-190 is great at defensive flying though, with it's great roll rate.

 

I tried Wings of Liberty server with navigation aids but now I'm playing the Finnish server. The navigation aids turned off adds much more immersion as you need to learn the map. So you are rewarded for playing it more as your map knowledge grows. It's not that bad when you get used to it. The 190 homing beacon is essential. For this reason I don't feel comfortable flying a BF-109 on the Finnish server.

 

I'm not sure how good I am considering I've just started to play, but I have spent a lot of time learning, reading and watching YouTube tutorials. I just know that I'm awful at air combat at the moment. Maybe I'm not used to Trackir and I'm rubbish at predicting where the enemy flight path is going to go whilst the plane is under my nose.

 

I've started to stream my matches on Youtube in 1440p. My first video below is 1080p at 60fps and it's a 40 minute long, lonely, dive bombing mission on WoL.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

 

Today I picked up il2 again after playing dcs for 2 years. I forgot that I bought all maps for il2, what a surprise!

 

I'm really struggling with my warthog bindings to be honest. I know it has probably been talked about a hundred times here but I need some advice.

I find it really troublesome that I cannot click anything in the sim. I tried the p51 today and I'm struggling to bind everything I need to my warthog stick/throttle. How can I tune radios, switch lights etc with only buttons on my joystick. I'm really confused here.

I created a modifier in joy2key to have multiple button options in the sim.

 

What also bothers me is that I cannot see what is already mapped in il2 settings. In dcs you see what is already mapped by just pressing that particular button and the command lights up.


Do you guys have some advice to start setting things up.?

Would be great,!

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Jozeff

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jozeff said:

Hi guys,

 

Today I picked up il2 again after playing dcs for 2 years. I forgot that I bought all maps for il2, what a surprise!

 

I'm really struggling with my warthog bindings to be honest. I know it has probably been talked about a hundred times here but I need some advice.

I find it really troublesome that I cannot click anything in the sim. I tried the p51 today and I'm struggling to bind everything I need to my warthog stick/throttle. How can I tune radios, switch lights etc with only buttons on my joystick. I'm really confused here.

I created a modifier in joy2key to have multiple button options in the sim.

 

What also bothers me is that I cannot see what is already mapped in il2 settings. In dcs you see what is already mapped by just pressing that particular button and the command lights up.


Do you guys have some advice to start setting things up.?

Would be great,!

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Jozeff

I don't have your stick so I can't really give you an advice on that, besides that the probably most important controls for the 51 are Throttle, RPM, Mixture (as for most of the allied planes). On other aircraft you also need your radiators, supercharger gear, engine boost. 

 

And you can actually see what is already mapped on the keybind. In one corner is a little red icon that you can put your cursor on and it shows you all the thing's you mapped on the key.

 

Best wishes, Rico

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jozeff said:

Hi guys,

 

Today I picked up il2 again after playing dcs for 2 years. I forgot that I bought all maps for il2, what a surprise!

 

I'm really struggling with my warthog bindings to be honest. I know it has probably been talked about a hundred times here but I need some advice.

I find it really troublesome that I cannot click anything in the sim. I tried the p51 today and I'm struggling to bind everything I need to my warthog stick/throttle. How can I tune radios, switch lights etc with only buttons on my joystick. I'm really confused here.

I created a modifier in joy2key to have multiple button options in the sim.

 

What also bothers me is that I cannot see what is already mapped in il2 settings. In dcs you see what is already mapped by just pressing that particular button and the command lights up.


Do you guys have some advice to start setting things up.?

Would be great,!

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Jozeff

Dont get to cozy or happy mapping buttons.  MOST of the time, i have to go into settings and "reactivate" the commands on my joystick by remapping them.  WHEN i switch planes. Say i fly the mc 202 for 3 hours, then switch to say the mig-3, ill have to go through and manually remap the joystick controls. 

Some planes refuse to accept anything except the joystick itself to control throttle, and suddenly losing engine power when you roll left really screws ya.

  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pocketshaver said:

Dont get to cozy or happy mapping buttons.  MOST of the time, i have to go into settings and "reactivate" the commands on my joystick by remapping them.  WHEN i switch planes. Say i fly the mc 202 for 3 hours, then switch to say the mig-3, ill have to go through and manually remap the joystick controls. 

Some planes refuse to accept anything except the joystick itself to control throttle, and suddenly losing engine power when you roll left really screws ya.

seriously dudes, if you dont understand that planes in the latest version dont work correctly with default controls until i MANUALLY go into the mapping screen when flying the plane and manually remap them to the same keys,,, i just dont care. 

 

For some reason if i spend me time in the mc 202 and mkVb, and suddenly go say fly the stuka or the russian fighters, i have to quite often manually remap the main joystick controls before they work. Some reason the change suddenly makes the joystick roll functions become throttle up and down, even though the throttle controls show as mapped to the hotas throttle. 

 

Even now, half the time the eject function doesnt work in fighters that i fly daily. Sure i can hit the open canopy command, but half the time in the mc 202 that i fly perhaps an hour a day, the canopy wont open until i hit the eject command.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok thanks guys,

 

But if I map my buttons correctly for 1 plane and I focus only on that plane for a while, will my controls work and stay that way?

If I have to remap everything each time I happily switch back to DCS....

 

How do you communicate in il2? I mean, radios must also be controlled by joystick only right?

 

Cheers Jozeff

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jozeff said:

Ok thanks guys,

 

But if I map my buttons correctly for 1 plane and I focus only on that plane for a while, will my controls work and stay that way?

If I have to remap everything each time I happily switch back to DCS....

 

How do you communicate in il2? I mean, radios must also be controlled by joystick only right?

 

Cheers Jozeff

 

You only need to bind your stuff and it works for all aircraft, so for example the RPM button you set works for every aircraft that controls it that way like (P-47s,P-38,Spitfires,Yaks,La-5s etc.) There are only a few exceptions like different radiators or the elevator/stabilizer trim. But you can double bind them so it's not a big deal.

 

Regarding your other question, there is SRS that just got added and is used by servers (but you have to extra download it and set it up)  or Discord/Teamspeak etc. The Ingame radio itself doesn't really have any functions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Find one of the blank graphical pictures of your warthog, print it out, get a list of the commands for IL-2 and start writing them in as you test and assign functions.  I use a virpil system and that's the best method to start out with, if you walk away from the game for a while, the sheet comes in handy.  Personally don't even have the keyboard accessible while in VR and wouldn't need it at all if they ever fixed the exit/escape command.

Link to post
Share on other sites

hey guys,

new to this game, but deff not to flight sims, i have thousands of hours in DCS, so well used to them, my problem is keybinds

according to the game, things like map, and external views, no conflicts at all, but they do not work, no matter how or what i press, F2 external view etc, M for map (which has turned out to be O)

also a lot of the binds to my HOTAS and stick do not work either, trim not functioning on stick, allthough its asigned?

any idea here what could be the problem i use headtracking which is working fine and the major controls like yaw on pedals, stick and throttle movement are ok.

thanks for your time n help :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2021 at 8:37 AM, DetCord12B said:

 

@jamesirjames

 

PWCG is on a bit of another level, IMHO. It's not necessarily better than the default dynamic campaign, just different. Though personally, I think PWCG offers more diversity, but that's just me and is possibly a placebo effect. The only drawback to it is that you're constantly shuffling back and forth between your game and the desktop whilst making changes in the PWCG app and then launching the IL-2.

 

If you own Bodenplatte and for my own personal plug, you could give my WIP mod here a go.

 

But if I were you, I'd stick with the provided campaign system before moving on to anything else.

 

 

Duly noted.  Thanks for the input.  Standard Career mode has been truly entertaining thus far.  I'll check out your mod for future consideration.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Na-zdorovie said:

new to this game, but deff not to flight sims, i have thousands of hours in DCS, so well used to them, my problem is keybinds

according to the game, things like map, and external views, no conflicts at all, but they do not work, no matter how or what i press, F2 external view etc, M for map (which has turned out to be O)

 

Check your realism settings. To use the external views you must have the "allow spectators" (or something like that) checkbox checked.

 

 

12 hours ago, Na-zdorovie said:

also a lot of the binds to my HOTAS and stick do not work either, trim not functioning on stick, allthough its asigned?

 

The trim works differently for some planes (Bf109/Fw190 IIRC), while others have almost no trim at all (most Russian planes), so it may be a plane specific problem. Search out the forum for trim settings, it is a common problem. As for the HOTAS bindings, not sure. Again, it may be a plane dependent issue?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, kennyuk77 said:

is Normandy worth getting yet?

 

It currently has 3 aircraft. The P-47D-22, Bf109G-6 Late, Fw190A-6. If you want to fly them right now... then yes. If not, wait :)

 

2 hours ago, Icer said:

I don't believe it is released yet is it?  

 

It's been available for early access since late 2019.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

 

It currently has 3 aircraft. The P-47D-22, Bf109G-6 Late, Fw190A-6. If you want to fly them right now... then yes. If not, wait :)

It's been available for early access since late 2019.

 

Good to know, I thought it was a pre-purchase deal...

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, kennyuk77 said:

is Normandy worth getting yet?

 

Normandy is not yet released as a full module. There are no maps or campaigns available. There are the three AC available as listed by other members above. Normady will be released in full late this year pending any hiccups. As a side note, the G6 Late is worth the price of admission. It is a much better AC than the standard G6.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 6:43 PM, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

 

Normandy is not yet released as a full module. There are no maps or campaigns available. There are the three AC available as listed by other members above. Normady will be released in full late this year pending any hiccups. As a side note, the G6 Late is worth the price of admission. It is a much better AC than the standard G6.

 

That was my understanding. You can *purchase* "Normandy" but you can't actually FLY in a Normandy map or a Normandy campaign... I don't mind buying an Early Release but won't buy vapor-ware, I can wait until it actually is released..

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Icer said:

 

That was my understanding. You can *purchase* "Normandy" but you can't actually FLY in a Normandy map or a Normandy campaign... I don't mind buying an Early Release but won't buy vapor-ware, I can wait until it actually is released..

 

It's not really vapor ware. It is a partially released module of an existing whole. Some planes are available now and others will be shortly. The map is in Alpha and screenies will be available in a week or two if the schedule holds. I understand if you don't want to jump on EA for this single module but your evaluation is a little off base.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Icer said:

 

That was my understanding. You can *purchase* "Normandy" but you can't actually FLY in a Normandy map or a Normandy campaign... I don't mind buying an Early Release but won't buy vapor-ware, I can wait until it actually is released..

 

Every GB module up to date has been handled in this sort of early-access way. You get access to content as it gets finalized. How is that vaporware?

If you don't like this piecemeal approach you can just simply wait for the full release and buy at the non-reduced price then.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A better use of the term "vaporware" would be in discussing something like, oh... Star Citizen.  Promise the universe, but deliver a dirty back alley, unlike IL2, where the team has delivered, over and over again, a great product that is good value for the money spent.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

A better use of the term "vaporware" would be in discussing something like, oh... Star Citizen.  Promise the universe, but deliver a dirty back alley, unlike IL2, where the team has delivered, over and over again, a great product that is good value for the money spent.

 

 

👍

Yes absolutely this!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2021 at 6:05 AM, Icer said:

 

That was my understanding. You can *purchase* "Normandy" but you can't actually FLY in a Normandy map or a Normandy campaign... I don't mind buying an Early Release but won't buy vapor-ware, I can wait until it actually is released..

 

Be careful with the words that you choose (or don't.  this is the internet after all).  Vaporware has a very specific connotation of promises not kept.  That does not describe this teams performance at all, and is 100% false with regards to deliveries of modules paid for in advance.  Every element of every module that they have taken money for has been delivered.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone. Just checking in as a brand spanking new guy. My first few forays into the delightful realm of flying and combat have taught me that I suck canal water as a pilot, couldn't hit the side of a barn if I were parked on the ground in front of it and generally spend half my time spinning freakishly across the sky with the screen going dark and the other half admiring my smoking, debris filled crater.

 

Anyhow, just wanted to say howdy to the community, give a nod to all the real (sim) combat pilots out there and wish everyone well.

 

o7

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jasonbarron said:

Hi everyone. Just checking in as a brand spanking new guy. My first few forays into the delightful realm of flying and combat have taught me that I suck canal water as a pilot, couldn't hit the side of a barn if I were parked on the ground in front of it and generally spend half my time spinning freakishly across the sky with the screen going dark and the other half admiring my smoking, debris filled crater.

 

Anyhow, just wanted to say howdy to the community, give a nod to all the real (sim) combat pilots out there and wish everyone well.

 

o7

 

Give yourself some time, and training offline is a smart thing to do. Pick a couple of fighters you want to learn and attack A-20's, IL-2's, He-111's and Ju-88's to get your gunnery down before advancing to other things or live pilots. Flying attack missions against ground targets is also good practice as the targets are slower moving and give you good 'sploshions with the new DM/graphics. When you are ready to go online, go ground attack and sneak in/out of targets along the unbeaten path. If you have to get your fighter jock on, stay high, stay fast, and don't turn in pursuit for more than 180 degrees until your situational awareness improves. Humans are dastardly online. Good luck.

 

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement, HerrMurf. Yeah, I was just being silly, I totally plan on working hard and learning the game. The biggest problem I think at the outset is just trying to figure out how to get started on this massive topic (combat flight) and learn the difference between what I'm doing wrong in terms of pilot ability or lack thereof and how much my controls being poorly setup are contributing to my deficient performance. When I compile a list of questions I'll be back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick noob question:

 

I came offline a couple times today while completing some single player career missions.  Can you still earn medals/awards in career mode if you get the "offline" message while in game or before you start playing said career?  Thanks in advance!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...