=38=Tatarenko

New Players start here ...

Hey All,

So I just pulled the trigger and bought The Battle of Stalingrad, The Battle Kuban, The Battle of Moscow, and The Battle of Bodenplatte, all in the "Premium Versions".  I successfully installed the game, and have been looking around a bit.  This is probably a stupid question, but I can't seem to figure this out.  When I look at the "scripted campaigns", I only see Stalingrad, Kuban, and Moscow.  Bodenplatte is not there, and that was the one I wanted to play first (it was also the most expensive by far).  There is a choice for "The Battle of Rheineland", but I'm not sure what that is.  When i look at my purchases on my account page, it says that all four have been activated.  (I bought them all direct from the website.)  Is there something I have to do to access Bodenplatte?  Thanks.

Rhineland is Bodenplatte.

That’s in the career feature rather than campaigns though.

Greetings, everyone.

I saw that a lot of the Great Battles titles were on sale last week, and I am scheduled for two weeks off-work at the end of the year.  What a fortunate coincidence.

I watched a few videos and did a little reading, then decided to start out by buying Battle of Moscow (Premium) from the developer site.

Quite some time ago, I played a lot of IL-2/PF/1946 (not well, but a lot).  I spent most of my flying time in either an IL-2 or in an SBD Dauntless.  When I moved house about a dozen years ago, all my flight sim gear got packed up.  This will be my first time back since then.

All of my kit from 2007 still seems to work, so I'll be using that.  I have CH Products devices (FighterStick, Throttle, Pedals) and a TrackIR 3.  I still have my CH configuration file from IL-2, but I doubt that will help me much.  I'll need to spend some time sorting the button mapping, unless someone can point me to an example.  Sadly, CH Hangar shut down a little while ago or I would look there.

I am looking forward to spending a significant part of my year-end holiday learning to fly in the skies over the Volga.

S!

On 3/3/2015 at 8:31 AM, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

I'm sure many of you are aware of this wonderful YouTube channel by Requiem, but if you aren't then I would recommend new players head on over and subscribe!  https://www.youtube.com/user/RequiemBoS/videos

I know this is from almost 5 years ago, but I'm glad he posted it here.  Requiem has an amazing channel with so much to learn!

• Like 1

Hi, I don't yet own any of the Il-2 titles but have been looking for a couple of years, waiting for a Normandy release and now that I've head it's coming I thought I'd ask the few questions I have about how multiplayer works in these.

(1) What does the store description mean with "[title] can be played as a separate stand-alone product or be integrated with other Great Battles titles"? What kind of integration is meant here?

(2) If my interest is only in Battle of Normandy and multiplayer, how confident can I be that there will be enough players for daily/semi-daily flights on servers? Are players mostly focused around one or two most popular titles and the other titles do not have much of a playerbase?

(3) Is there one/several official servers for the titles?

(4) Is there a good number of historical squadrons that recruit players?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T_Khomeriki said:

Hi! Welcome to the IL-2 community:)

(1) What does the store description mean with "[title] can be played as a separate stand-alone product or be integrated with other Great Battles titles"? What kind of integration is meant here?

All the IL-2 Great Battles "modules" consists of a series of aircraft and a large map from the time and place those planes were used. However, these modules are all interconnected into a single framework.

You can fly a P-47 ovet the Caucasus if you own Bodenplatte and Kuban for example. A more concrete example would be:

If an online server runs a Stalingrad map, and you own the Battle of Moscow module, you might be able to fly planes from the Moscow module over Stalingrad (as server hosts often run more or less historical missions, where planes from other modules might have been present).

(2) If my interest is only in Battle of Normandy and multiplayer, how confident can I be that there will be enough players for daily/semi-daily flights on servers? Are players mostly focused around one or two most popular titles and the other titles do not have much of a playerbase?

Well Normandy won't be out for some time, but I can assure you that online maps will incorporate Battle of Normandy planes as soon as they get their hands on them.

Normandy is currently on sale for early access, and those who preorder will get to fly the planes as they arrive.

If you want to jump in straight away I suggest you have a look at the Bodenplatte module in the meantime as it has a full set of late war western aircraft and a map stretching from the European coast and far into the continent.

There are usually enough players on every day to have a good time online. In the weekends there are plenty.

The focus of servers and players change with every new release. Lately there has been a lot of Bodenplatte maps since it has just been released. Previously the Stalingrad module was the best bet for starters as both Moscow and Kuban maps could historically use the aircrafts from that module.

(3) Is there one/several official servers for the titles?

There are official servers still I think,  but the biggest, most developed and most populated ones are third party. I suggest Knights of the Air, Combat Box etc. for more serious playing. No map icons, lots of bomber targets and good players.

(4) Is there a good number of historical squadrons that recruit players?

Plenty! I'll let them answer that question. You could also do a forum search and see if you find any of them.

Edited by kissklas
Splelign
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, T_Khomeriki said:

Many thanks for the helpful reply.

No worries, I hope you find yourself at home in one of these great physically modeled aircraft, and that you find a wingman or two. Been at it since 2014 or so, and it's still fantastic, and still developing.

Again, welcome to the community, and I'll see you on my six🛩️

• Like 1

Hi all,

I have done little under 10 hours in IL-2 BoS so far, it runs quite well on my pc.

I use TiR5 and im starting to get a good feel for the sim.

My background a bit :

I like realism, you will probably not see me doing war thunder or such a thing.

Been doing sims since the C64 era (if you can call these sims nowadays).

Last time i flew online in combat was in Aces High (hitechcreations).

Other sims i have lots of good memories about:
Ace of aces (C64 classic)

European Air War.

Steel Beasts Pro

Silent Hunter 4

Sub command : akula 

il-2 1946 ( i liked it, but found the campaigns very short and unrealistic in general)

I still have a number of questions about il-2 BoS, i will try to find answers myself as much as i can.
But sometimes i will just rattle away here on the forum.
For now i will stick a bit too doing missions and campaigns, but i will try online again soon.

I do not consider myself a noob on flying combat, but i do feel rusty after years of not doing anything.

And spotting other planes is very difficult i feel in il-2 BoS. But apparently, many other people have this issue.

• Like 1

:good:

Welcome!

You are in for a treat with this sim.

8 hours ago, Fastbikkel said:

I still have a number of questions about il-2 BoS, i will try to find answers myself as much as i can.
But sometimes i will just rattle away here on the forum.
For now i will stick a bit too doing missions and campaigns, but i will try online again soon.

I do not consider myself a noob on flying combat, but i do feel rusty after years of not doing anything.

And spotting other planes is very difficult i feel in il-2 BoS. But apparently, many other people have this issue.

Welcome Fastbikkel. The IL-2 Resources post may help you with many of your questions about IL-2.

Is Sweet FX worth having? If you don't have Tracker 5R Pro what are you waiting for?

On 8/21/2014 at 8:25 PM, smink1701 said:

Welcome and thanks for supporting BOS!  A rising tide (of buyers) lifts all ships which means a healthier game developer 777 / more planes / more theaters of war / and stronger CFS gaming category!  

My personal suggestions...

-Get TrackIR.  Just get it!

-Get a good joystick.  Mine's a Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X, on Amazon for $28.00 U.S.  You can pay a lot more but I really like mine.  It's pretty much a must.

-Get a decent video card.  Kind of optional but if you can manage it you'll be happier in the long run.

-Intall Sweet FX and Flight FX.  IMHO they make a huge difference to the look of the game.

-Start, play and enjoy ... often.

If you will use a VR Head set like Oculus Rift then Sweet FX will not work in VR. 

Did a search and found nothing on this topic: Is it not possible to operate the Command Menu with the mouse, like in Rise of Flight? In RoF I have it set up to where I hit the right mouse button to bring up the Command Menu, and then can select the items from the menu with the mouse, and right-click the mouse again to close the menu and restore my head tracker's operation. In BoX I can open the Command Menu with the right mouse button, but can not click on the options; I must lean forward to my keyboard (which is not easily accessible when flying as I have a steering wheel on the desk (whose myriad buttons and paddles are mapped to the flight sim functions), then my joystick on my lap, with the keyboard behind the steering wheel). It would be nice to be able to click the command options like in RoF.

Hi, everyone,

I'm interested in giving IL-2 a second chance after some years of "abstinence". However I'm missing a wiki as in IL-2 1946 I played since 2002.

Read somewhere that the original version would be superior to steam version, but can't find where. What are the advantages to buy and install everything from the original homepage? The fact that 2 alternatives exist is a bit annoying to me as it makes everythin much more complicated than the original Il-2 where I could do a perfect saving of the game by just copying the whole game folder. No wiki, no hints from the developers in the manual to the question, which files or folders are to save in case of a PC crash.

I already own the original game and 2 collector planes but would buy everything again if installing from the Original Homepage is the better solution.

Any help concerning these two Points are very welcome. Thank you!  

@Wuerger

Try this superb resource 

32 minutes ago, Wuerger said:

Read somewhere that the original version would be superior to steam version, but can't find where. What are the advantages to buy and install everything from the original homepage?

The advantage to buying from the Devs is that all the money goes to the Devs. They don't have to give Valve/Steam a cut of the sale. Both BoM and BoK are on sale at a deep discount right now.

Edited by busdriver
  • Upvote 1

With the non steam version it is possible to copy paste the whole folder as per original IL-2, 

If you have good Internet it is easy to just download latest version from this site if lost in computer crash, 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

Hi, busdriver,

thank you very much for your helpful link! Although al little misunderstanding due to my poor English. A wiki I was looking for was no game tutorial but an explanation of all settings and what is the purpose of every single file and folder and the file conf.ini the IL-2 Installation path. Haven't found anything like that up to now. The community of Il-2 1946 did have such a wiki which was very helpful for new players to set, optimize and tweak their game . 

@Dakpilot

"With the non steam version it is possible to copy paste the whole folder as per original IL-2". If it is like that, that'll be a reason for me to by the game a second time.  

"If you have good Internet it is easy to just download latest version from this site if lost in computer crash". Thats not clear to me. I didn't have a computer crash. In case I saved the whole IL-2 folder I can restore  the game from usb 3.0 disk. Why downloading it again??   

2 hours ago, Wuerger said:

A wiki I was looking for was no game tutorial but an explanation of all settings and what is the purpose of every single file and folder and the file conf.ini the IL-2 Installation path. Haven't found anything like that up to now.

I'm not aware of any resource that meets your requirements. Sorry. But from your first post...

19 hours ago, Wuerger said:

No wiki, no hints from the developers in the manual to the question, which files or folders are to save in case of a PC crash.

I think that is what @Dakpilot was addressing when he said just download latest version. But just in case this might help. I specifically keep separate backups of these two items. My installation is not the default installation path. But my personal technique is to save the input folder (to have a copy of my HOTAS mapping) and the startup file (because I use TacView). 

712329193_BoXsavedfiles01.jpg.3c5aa8596712125fd7a7881ae957287b.jpg

824309974_BoXsavedfiles02.jpg.329a5101b01dc8b3170827a833650612.jpg

Cheers :salute:

Hi all

I have just treated myself today to the il2 series and the Hp reverb vr headset, now the learning begins. I hope to fly with you all in the near future and have lots of fun.

Velours.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Velours said:

Hi all

I have just treated myself today to the il2 series and the Hp reverb vr headset, now the learning begins. I hope to fly with you all in the near future and have lots of fun.

Velours.

:good:

Welcome!!

Posted (edited)

Hi after the sale I purchased all DLC's and all Collectors plains and all Campaigns (apart from tanks).

Love it, however my account is now linked but I do not see any badges under the Avatar image - am I missing something?

Edited by Calius1945

Hello,

It's been a long time since I installed flight simm software, so going to have to humble myself here: I just purchase several modules, and will be installing an Oculus Rift S [first time with VR].

I hope to perform a clean install without screwing it up somehow, hence my asking for help. With IL-2 1946, you needed to turn off UAC and anti virus, and for better speed you would create a file closer to the C:\ file, or even directly under C. Should I follow this same procedure with Il-2 Sturmovik  for better performance or stay the default install location? I have a ss drive with my Win10 OS, and a 1 Tera HDD. Should I install the modues, Oculus, etc. on the ss drive, or onto the HDD? Then Steam, Open Composite, same question - everything to the ss drive, or what is the way to install?

Any input is greatly appreciated, along with perhaps other traps, pitfalls to watch out for, and any 'best practices'/recommendations getting things loaded and set up properly.

Thanks for your help.

6 hours ago, puyo3 said:

With IL-2 1946, you needed to turn off UAC and anti virus, and for better speed you would create a file closer to the C:\ file, or even directly under C. Should I follow this same procedure with Il-2 Sturmovik  for better performance or stay the default install location?

No, you don't need to worry about all of that. The install procedure here is a vast improvement over what's in the original IL2.

6 hours ago, puyo3 said:

I have a ss drive with my Win10 OS, and a 1 Tera HDD. Should I install the modues, Oculus, etc. on the ss drive, or onto the HDD? Then Steam, Open Composite, same question - everything to the ss drive, or what is the way to install?

Anything to do with games, put it on your solid state drive to take advantage of the better write times. Save your HDD for basic file storage.

13 hours ago, LukeFF said:

No, you don't need to worry about all of that. The install procedure here is a vast improvement over what's in the original IL2.

Anything to do with games, put it on your solid state drive to take advantage of the better write times. Save your HDD for basic file storage.

Thanks for your response.

Posted (edited)

Hi all, sorry for the basic question.  Just purchased IL2 Great Battles "Battle of Bodenplatte" - can't for the life of me despite endless searching find the manual that is actually for this title.  Seems there's other manuals out there, but where is the manual for this specific title?  Also, also can't seem to find a key commands reference card as well.   Thanks for any insight.

Edited by humdinger

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, humdinger said:

Hi all, sorry for the basic question.  Just purchased IL2 Great Battles "Battle of Bodenplatte" - can't for the life of me despite endless searching find the manual that is actually for this title.  Seems there's other manuals out there, but where is the manual for this specific title?  Also, also can't seem to find a key commands reference card as well.   Thanks for any insight.

Check out the IL-2 Resources post. The manual is up top and key commands a bit further down.

Edited by JimTM

Thank you JimTM, I did that but that is for a BOS manual and the post is from 2015.  I'm looking for the ""Battle of Bodenplatte" manual.  

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, humdinger said:

Thank you JimTM, I did that but that is for a BOS manual and the post is from 2015.  I'm looking for the ""Battle of Bodenplatte" manual.  

The manual came out when BoS was all that there was. You won't find a BoBP manual. There are some sections that are BoS-specific but I think most of the manual applies to BoBP too. I think 1CGS would like to update the manual at some point.

Edited by JimTM

On 4/1/2020 at 9:17 PM, LukeFF said:

I read this on the FAQ page of the DCS World home page, Technical: 

• Remember that the game uses certain ports
  • Setup or turn off your security software (antivirus, brandmauer, UAC, SmartScreen, etc.)
  • Make sure that you're logged into Windows as Administrator
  • Open context menu by a right click on game's icon, go to Compatibility settings and choose to Run as Administrator

This is from 2014, but does direct to turn off UAC. So is this no longer the case? And would someone bring me up to speed re ports; will the install process somehow automatically choose or is this something I need to enter, and if so how do I go about this? Don't recall any thing about choosing ports back in 1946.

And again on the download file, let me ask again if others would offer confirmation if it is not better to install in a C/: Great Battles file rather than the default location to help optimize speed as was practiced back when I loaded IL-2 1946?

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

p3

For a game like IL-2 GB series it is always better to install outside of program files, windows may overmanage/have permission problems and create issues in certain cases. 

Better to avoid the possibility in the first place if you have experience to do so 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

Why do I have no real wingman who stays with me 'all the time' in singleplayer? 

Hi all,

I'm completely new to IL-2 and I'm considering to buy Bodenplatte. I understand that, when bought straight at the website, Bodenplatte can be obtained as a stand-alone product. But I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer.

I'm currently flying DCS but frankly I'm a bit disappointed. I spent a lot of money, but in the end you only have a very small map to fly on (Normandy) and only one plane to fly, unless you spend even more. Also, since the product is so expensive, there are not many people on multiplayer.

Is this any better for IL-2, specifically Bodenplatte? Do people often fly formation missions together? I was also wondering how the PWCG module works, for single player use. Does it give a lot of variety in missions, including bomber escorts and such? Or is it repetitive? Can I start from any airbase, both on allied and axis side?

Also, are there ever any sales at IL-2? Or only through Steam?

Thanks a lot for any answers you can give!

9 hours ago, SG24 said:

Hi all,

I'm completely new to IL-2 and I'm considering to buy Bodenplatte. I understand that, when bought straight at the website, Bodenplatte can be obtained as a stand-alone product. But I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer. 

The entire game is technically one product - even TC and FC. You are simply gaining access to specific content when you buy a BoX module. Therefore you can interact with all of the other content other people are flying or driving online, even if you can't fly or drive them yourself. 

I'm currently flying DCS but frankly I'm a bit disappointed. I spent a lot of money, but in the end you only have a very small map to fly on (Normandy) and only one plane to fly, unless you spend even more. Also, since the product is so expensive, there are not many people on multiplayer.

If you buy Bodenplatte you will have access to all of the content and the map with that module offline. You will have access to all of the same content online plus all of the maps. You will, again, be able to fly AGAINST all of the content that is out there online. SP will limit you to what you have purchased - both equipment as well as maps. Now, if the server you are flying on rotates to an early war map and doesn't use any of the Bodenplatte content you won't have anything to fly because you won't have access to the equipment in that module.

9 hours ago, SG24 said:

Is this any better for IL-2, specifically Bodenplatte? Do people often fly formation missions together? I was also wondering how the PWCG module works, for single player use. Does it give a lot of variety in missions, including bomber escorts and such? Or is it repetitive? Can I start from any airbase, both on allied and axis side?

The multiplayer community is pretty healthy but nothing like to old Il2 '46 crowd was for size. There are many team/clans/squads out there and many actively recruit. Most are dedicated fighter units but there is a mud moving crowd as well. I haven't played PWCG (sorry Pat) but it gets very high marks from what I have read and I've been on these forums since the start.

Also, are there ever any sales at IL-2? Or only through Steam?

There are sales just about every quarter or so. Sales happen for native content through the website and also through steam. Generally, the older the content the deeper the discount. Without a doubt, I'd say jump in, it is well worth it. The game is nicely polished now but also improving at a pretty impressive pace. I'd suggest Bodenplatte, if you want late war Western aircraft but, if you are flying online, you might want to pickup Stalingrad on the next sale if you need early war stuff for online play where the server rotates maps.

Thanks a lot for any answers you can give!

Thanks so much, this is super helpful! I will certainly consider it.

If there's someone out there who could also share some experiences with PWCG, that would be great too.

1 hour ago, SG24 said:

Thanks so much, this is super helpful! I will certainly consider it.

If there's someone out there who could also share some experiences with PWCG, that would be great too.

'

Have a read through some of the PWCG threads, lot of good info in there.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/99-pat-wilson-campaign-generator/

Also any questions ask away in that forum, lots of helpful folks.

6 hours ago, SG24 said:

It just so happens that I just posted about it here...so you can tell how I feel about it :good:

Sounds very cool, thanks! Just to check: all this also fully works on BoBP now right?

Can't wait to try it.

Yes - it works on everything except TC.  Plus it carries across all the WWII flight products (meaning you can start in BoM and continue through BoS, BoK, to BoBp).

Enjoy!

Bought IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad and Flying Circus on Steam (wasn't aware of other options, sorry). On Steam they make you buy Stalingrad before you can get Bodenplatte for some reason. Discovered Il2sturmovic.com web store and (after reading Steam/Direct versions work together) purchased Moscow, Kuban, and Bodenplatte. Odd thing is the "Direct " version only shows BoM, BoK, and BoBP and the Steam version shows all 5 modules (though only Stalingrad is listed in Steam library. Also, badges here only show for BoM, BoK, and BoBP... any way to combine them? Not sure Steam will keep anything but Stalingrad (and FC) updated?

Thanks for any guidance!