=38=Tatarenko

New Players start here ...

Wow..what a great forum!

Should I buy the CD version of the game or download it?

If the latter, should I do so from the Gog.com site, Steam or other?

Thanks! .

..John 

Merci beacoup, Swing!

What is the web address for the official site?

...John 

(I’m not dumb...but can’t find it! My browser keeps ending up on Steam site)

Edited by DocJMB
Forgot to ask ?
  • Like 1

Sorry to be a bother!

Would anyone point me to the preferred download page for IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Is it the GOG.com site?

Swing (above) advised me to"Download it from the official site (here)" but there was no link included.

I've only seen 1946 on sale on steam recently but I also see it on GOG which I believe is an official distributor. 1956 is very outdated so this website does not feature it. This website only has CLoD and Great Battles.

Thanks for this. If you were a flight combat ‘vet’ just introduced to the IL—2 Sturmovik series and this forum, which version of the game would you get.

Have to tell you that this Forum is the main reason I want to get into this game!

As I indicated above, Birds of Steel was/is a great game but it’s forum was a big part of the experience/fun. Sadly, Gaijin took it down.

On 8/16/2014 at 7:02 AM, =38=Tatarenko said:

Welcome to the new players. Here is a handy start guide on Youtube. Turn on the captions to see what to do. It will get you ready and flying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pGFcIjdV4k

Also, look at these excellent player-made aircraft guides. Created by 71st_AH_Chuck.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/10268-chucks-aircraft-guide/?do=findComment&comment=157599

Tried to check out the aircraft guides but was advised I did not have permission to view them: Error 2F173/K :rtfm:

Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 1.13.28 PM.png

As long as you recognise the copyrights and that I take no credit for these documents (except the ones I clearly make myself) this is my Google Drive link for various IL-2 BoX/Great Battles documents that are available:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9QxVW975K48U251YWVxemlRTTg

You shouldn't have any issues with permissions etc - and I'll soon be doing some IL-2 guides to add to the website (link in my sig - but there's no IL-2 content yet)

Edited by Brixmis
grammar
  • Like 1

Thank you so much.  This is a treasure trove.  I do photography and always respect others work.  All the best.
Thank you,
On 12/22/2018 at 11:50 AM, DocJMB said:

Wow..what a great forum!

Should I buy the CD version of the game or download it?

If the latter, should I do so from the Gog.com site, Steam or other?

Thanks! .

..John 

I agree

Posted (edited)

Hi Thick_McRunFast and welcome.

Any plane that you like but try the smallest first the I-16 i think and try them all out in the single missions till you're comfortable with each you have.

Good luck and happy flying. 

Edited by Jessa_Doom

If you like Ground attack, Any IL-2 is really easy to get started with (and if you are a total beginner, I would recommend IL-2 for getting the basics down). 

For fighters, I would say yak, lagg, spitfire, or 109 are the easiest places to start. 

But if there is an airplane that interests you especially, there is nothing wrong with starting out on a "harder" airplane. For example, I have a soft spot for the P-40 and even though it is not the simplest plane out there, I found it to be very rewarding to get the hang of it.

Posted (edited)

Hi All,

Nugget reporting in, I've played the Il2 Series from original, 1946, then HSFX(unofficial yetexcellent), but lost it during CLoD, it was just too buggy and my joystick sort of packed up.

However on a recommendation from some friends I picked up Box with the moscow add on in the sales and with my new Thrustmaster 16km FCS i'm learning to fly again, I have to say so far i'm really enjoying this version, the scalable realism and weapon options are very nice indeed, but I do love those mostly automatic german planes, the JU88 is absolutely beautiful to fly (once you've stopped doing donuts on the taxiway...)

Thanks!

Melonfish / Pete

Quick edit - If I buy Kuban on the main store page, does that give me the steam key via mail or do I need to link my account?

Edited by Melonfish

Hi everyone just purchased BOS, BOM, BOK & BOBP.

Only owned COD & COD Blitz before.

Does the game launcher automatically install all 4 purchases, please.

Thanks,

Mike.

38 minutes ago, Dogbert1940 said:

Does the game launcher automatically install all 4 purchases, please.

Yes, the launcher installs all IL-2 Great battles content (including Flying Circus and Tank crew), only what you have bought is available for you to use.

• Like 1

Thanks very much buddy, appreciate the help.

I will be getting Tank Crew in a month or two.

Mike.

Posted (edited)

Dumb question #2 , can i un-tether the mouse from the cockpit view.

Only works for me as per 1946, not free as with CLOD ?

Also cannot find any actual game manual, supplied with the download.

Mike.

Edited by Dogbert1940

I don't think there is an official manual, check out here https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/82-manuals-tutorials-guides-and-tips/ for much of the info there is. 

I use this guide for starting in an aircraft I haven't flown yet 

6 hours ago, Dogbert1940 said:

can i un-tether the mouse from the cockpit view.

Not sure about this, but you may be able to stop the mouse from moving your view around somewhere in the settings. 

• Thanks 1

Ok in regards an official manual and many thanks for the link to the guides etc.

If the mouse always moves the view around in the cockpit. That is a deal breaker for me personally.

I really disliked in 1946. I have looked through the key assignments and couldn't find a hot key to  change it.

Thanks very much for your help again, much appreciated.

Mike.

Found out how to un-tether the mouse, hot key.

But alas no mouse clickable controls in the cockpit.

Mike.

How do you deal with the overwhelming amount of controls and incredulously the lack of any built-in save/load control profile function? 🙄 Are you supposed to tab-out of the game and manually rename input files when you switch planes? I mean it's seriously hard to have one profile that's optimal for all planes. Even ROF had this function!

I'm lucky I came across the key mapping guide referenced in this thread, which helpfully explains controls that don't conflict etc. Otherwise even two HOTASes won't have enough buttons...

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

It's called hotas.

Not sure if serious...more than the lack of explanation for what each control does and whether some can be bound to the same buttons without issue, I'm more concerned about the lack of built-in profile management, which is just a glaring lack in any serious simulator.

Hi! I’m a fairly new player from Sweden. I’ve mostly been playing scripted campaigns but now I want to get into the multiplayer stuff, I wonder if there is any community with players using teamspeak/discord that I join? :) I like coop in games and It would be fun join some people I can fly with and learn ans have FUN ofc!!! 

I’m not certain this the correct forum, but I’m having trouble recording tracts of missions flown.  I’ve hit the suggested keys, but still no luck ... any suggestions?

6 hours ago, Falcon41 said:

I’m not certain this the correct forum, but I’m having trouble recording tracts of missions flown.  I’ve hit the suggested keys, but still no luck ... any suggestions?

I think you mean tracks :)

I believe the default key is Left Ctrl+R. You should see a red icon in the top right corner of the screen and once you've hit that the game will start recording a track file. Note that a track file is not a video file. It's just a "recording" of the gamestate in real time and you can go back and watch gameplay sequences over again from any vantage point or angle after in the Flight Records menu.

Thanks for your reply; however, I’ve entered the default keys as you suggested and have yet to see the red icon in the top right corner or any track files to view.  I’m a bit confused as to why I can’t record any flights!

Need some help installing IL-2 BOS .exe file on my new Gaming PC

Posted this yesterday in the Technical Issues Forum but have had no response.

Hope I'm not breaking any rules by trying this forum for us rookies!

Received a gifted Key to BOS (Thanks Tzigy)

Downloaded .exe file to a USB stick from my Mac - game PC not built yet

Received the PC - Installed the .exe file on the PC - ran the .exe file

Near the end of the process, the attached message appeared

IL-2 BOS appeared on the desktop but running it will not work - "Incomplete Installation"

So I deleted the IL-2BOS program from my PC, downloaded the Install .exe file directly to my PC & tried again.

Same result - program will not run - received attached message.

Sent inquiry to Support but no answer yet.

Would appreciate any advice!

PS Downloaded War Thunder from their website with no problem

Would really rather play IL-2!

144B3C8A8BB749CA913DD90158493B87.jpg

IL-2 BOS appeared on the desktop but running it will not work - "Incomplete Installation"

Not sure why, but make sure you have enough disk space. Try downloading again.

The above screen comes up because you already have this file as part of the OS. Just close it and ignore it.

Thanx Mabes...

Lots of Disk Space

Have installed & deleted & re-installed twice now..still the same.

Did you note that the top line states that "Your Installation will not occur"? :rtfm:

Hard to ignore!

Correct. The installation of Microsoft .NET Framework will not install.

Unfortunately I am a newbie as well and that's all the knowledge I have. I just installed it last weekend and had the same Microsoft framework window pop up, but I ignored it. Everything else worked for me though.

Keep searching and be patient. Someone will know and help.

Hi guys, Quick question on the ribbons on the account.

I take it this only shows items purchased directly from the il2 store? I picked up BOS and BOM in the steam sale but picked up BOK from here after the steam sale finished, just wondering if it would show due to linked accounts or not.

thanks

Thanks to all of your help, IL-2 BoS is installed & up & running...but now need help with Settings!

Not sure whether to post here or in another forum but here goes.

Using my mouse for View Lookarounds...took awhile to set up properly but now working great...in Cockpit view...but can't get External View

Running a test flight -->  Custom Set-up --> unable to get External View!

Have searched these forums --> noted tips to locate  " No External Views" settings --> unable to locate this --> same with "Allow Outside Camera"

Screenshot of Custom settings screen below.

Can anyone point me to a reference article/post that might help?

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 1.23.10 PM.png

Got it...sorry to be a bother!

And found out that the trick to Reseting the View is to go to the Pilot Head Snap settings!

Who would have guessed?:soldier:

Now to learn how to fly (& land) these beasts!

Are there any in-game flying lessons/tutorials

1 hour ago, DocJMB said:

Now to learn how to fly (& land) these beasts!

Are there any in-game flying lessons/tutorials

No, but there's plenty to look at here.

Wow..talk about lots to read/view!

Thanx!

How did you put the link in using one word (here)?

27 minutes ago, DocJMB said:

Wow..talk about lots to read/view!

Requiem's videos (4th and 5th entry) are a good place to start.

How did you put the link in using one word (here)?

1. Copy the address of the webpage that you want to link to.

2. In your post, select the words that you want to make into a link.

3. Click the chain icon at the top of your post.

4. Paste the webpage address into the URL field.

Edited by JimTM

Is it permissable to try the MP servers if i am rubbish at flying.

Only really tried the P47 in QM, to try and get half decent with one type of aircraft.

But even doing that, i crash more times than i get off the ground.

Mike.

4 hours ago, Dogbert1953 said:

Is it permissable to try the MP servers if i am rubbish at flying.

Only really tried the P47 in QM, to try and get half decent with one type of aircraft.

But even doing that, i crash more times than i get off the ground.

Mike.

It's a good idea to get comfortable with the aircraft that you want to fly before trying MP. Concentrate on the skills that will keep you from annoying the other players and then work on the other skills that make you successful. Some thing to concentrate on when you start MP:

• Learn to taxi properly.
  • Takeoff and land using the active runway.
    Normally, you want to takeoff and land into the wind, but observe which runway most people are using or follow any markers to the active runway (such as small fires).
    Most times, the active runway is the one closest to the player spawn points.
  • Look both ways before entering the runway (please!).
    Is there someone landing or is there someone taking off in the opposite direction? Look all around you; some pilots fly a curved path to landing.
  • Do not sit on the active runway for too long before takeoff or after landing (or crashing).
    Sometimes players will form up on the runway, which is not a problem as long as they monitor other planes wishing to takeoff and land.
    Players sometimes form up to one side of the runway, allowing others to taxi by them and take off.
  • Learn to identify enemy planes and friendly planes.
    Don't pull the trigger until you are sure your target is an enemy. This is especially important during high-stress situations. For example,
    you may lose sight of an enemy and then think you spot them again, but is it really them or is it a friendly plane that looks similar to the enemy?
    Also, sometimes a friendly fighter-bomber will join in the defence of a friendly target and you may think they are an enemy bomber (that one got me once).
  • Make sure you are attacking an enemy target rather than a friendly target.
    If an enemy target and friendly target are close together, you may attack the wrong one, especially if they are similar.
  • If you want to post tactical information in chat, do not press Enter as this will broadcast your information to everyone, on both sides. Cntl+Enter sends chat only to the side that you joined.

I hope that helps

Edited by JimTM
  • Thanks 1