SYN_Jedders

SYNDICATE Expert Server

Hi all,

For those of you who know us this will be our Battle of Stalingrad Expert Server thread. Vander and Haashashin will be building missions to the usual high standard set in Rise of Flight. The server will also feature "full realism" settings as much as possible.

For those who dont know us please visit www.syndicatesquadron.net and you will find out more. Essentially though we have been running an IL2:1946 Server and a Rise of Flight Server for many years.

Today we will be launching our test Server for BoS based in Europe (Amsterdam) which should give good stable pings to just about anywhere. We strive to bring you complex objective based missions with a slant towards teamwork. We try to work within the boundaries of the software to bring a smooth performance experience. In these early stages we will obviously make mistakes and all feedback, no matter how good or bad, is welcome.

Enjoy the Server!

SYN_Jedders

• Upvote 18

Good news! Looking forward to your server :)

Hope you are going to disable auto balance / side change penalty as well. Too bad only 1 server uses this setting currently.

Edited by [Jg26]5tuka

Did I got this right? You are offering custom missions ? Not the usual tdm as we know it so far and which I really don't like.

There will be objective based missions with AI ?

So at least one of You squadmated has access to the Missionbuilder?

That sounds to good to be true.

:-)

I wish You all possible luck with this endeavour. And be sure that I will visit Your server. That sounds really really good!!

Yup, no auto-balance :)

My hero!

Will certainly fly with you guys. Make sure there's plenty of juicy targets for bombers :D

Not sure to what extent we will be offering custom missions right at the off. Van and Haash will probably only be able to tweak groups a bit etc. Wait and see tho :)

Good to know! Expert server EU is full often. TY.

Can't wait!

SYN was one of the best ROF servers available, if not the best.

Thank you chaps!

I hope everyone will understand we'll have to do some closed testing/password only before we go live. We still have to learn how (if) it all works and how it will perform.

• Upvote 2

Good news. If you need people to test, i'm pretty sur that players who are playing on your server on Rof will help.

What is your "vision" for the server? I mean, specifically, how do you want your missions to be structured and what kind of "crowd" do you wish to attract? How much of a ground target presence is desired? What role should ground-attack aircraft and level bombers play?

I am asking because I am toying with the idea of flying online again (from time to time) but I don't want to waste my precious spare time on servers that essentially degenerate into endless gangbanging.

@csThor: Our missions are objetive based, all of them.

About ground targets, our goal (not neccesary for this testing period) is to have several ground objectives on the map, as train stations, airfields or factories and some "oportunity" ground targets, those are not marked but have to look for them such as tanks, trains and trucks. Ground attack and level bombing will be necessary to take out certain objetives.Basically the same we actually have in RoF.

Hopes this answer your questions :)

• Upvote 1

Well, not quite (yes, I'm a greedy bastard :biggrin:). I mean I've seen it time and time again that "ground targets" are being tossed at some random area and then touted as "historical". I know I'm a nitpicker and a PITA to boot ( :crazy:) but I expect a little more. I would like more "centrality" to the ground-attack aspects and far less emphasis on the fighters (to give them the appropriate role, not this overemphasis I've seen time and time again). To give you an example of how I'd love to see a mission structured:

On November 26 soviet 8th Cavalry Corps found a weak spot in the already flimsy german lines and made a dash for Oblivskaya airfield where the remnants of SchG 1 and StG 2 had sought refuge (after their airfields at Karpovka and Tuzov had been overrun on November 21). Everything that had wings took off and continously attacked the advancing Cavalry Corps (including a Brigade of T-34s) while the ground-crew set up defenses at the eastern edge of the airfield. The corps suffered such losses that it failed to penetrate the flimsy defensive perimeter.

Such a mission would really put premium on ground-attacks, on both sides (!), because only the intervention of the air forces can tilt the balance here. If the Luftwaffe weakens the approaching tanks enough they won't make it to the airfield. If the VVS can hold the Luftwaffe at bay and destroy enough defensive works (and 8.8cm Flak guns) the Corps can take Oblivskaya airfield.

I hope that clears up my ideas about mission structure. ;)

Edited by csThor

This is great news! Fingers crossed it works okay (and we all know it's just a trial) AND that it meets csThor's finickity requirements (somewhere down the line at least) because that is one mission I would love to fly!

CsThor it sounds like a nice set for a mission, will look that up.

Im very interested in reading about this battle, so if you (or any other) can send me links where I can read about the events in certain dates of the battle of Stalingrad, as you just did, I will have the material to try to recreate those battles, well or at least try to ;) .

• Upvote 1

IMO there are only two books that contain the core of the information I'd consider necessary:

1.) David Glantz's "Stalingrad" trilogy. This focuses very much on the ground side, but I'd consider understanding the ground ops mandatory to be able to put air ops into perspective. Volume 2 deals with the period up to November 1942, Volume 3 from December to the end.

2.) "Stalingrad - The Air Battle" by Christer Bergström. In fact my description was taken from that book. This deals with the aerial fighting.

I've also seen a very interesting analysis and depiction of a part of "Wintergewitter" and 6th Panzer Division's role in it in "Panzers on the Eastern Front" by Peter Tsouras. This book deals predominantly with post-war interviews given by General Erhard Raus (then CO of 6th Panzer) and key engagements he had on the Eastern Front. One chapter is dedicated to "Wintergewitter": how 6th Panzer arrived by rail at Kotelnikovo, the engagements it fought afterwards, the massive tank battle north of the northern arm of River Aksay, the battles for Verkhnekumskiy ... Highly interesting read.

I've also seen a very interesting analysis and depiction of a part of "Wintergewitter" and 6th Panzer Division's role in it in "Panzers on the Eastern Front" by Peter Tsouras. This book deals predominantly with post-war interviews given by General Erhard Raus (then CO of 6th Panzer) and key engagements he had on the Eastern Front. One chapter is dedicated to "Wintergewitter": how 6th Panzer arrived by rail at Kotelnikovo, the engagements it fought afterwards, the massive tank battle north of the northern arm of River Aksay, the battles for Verkhnekumskiy ... Highly interesting read.

That is awesome book,I can recommend it straight away to any military history enthusiast.It is less of that grand strategy and more of small and combned units tactics on Eastern front.Some of the stories in that book are just unbelievable.But true.

Is it actually readable? If it is, then it sounds really good. I love this kind of thing, but I also don't mind a bit of literary endeavour. Those books on the Luftwaffe in the Crimea just about knocked me out every time I opened them.

Great news. I am certain this will be one of my favorite servers, just like back in the good old rof times. Looking forward to be frequent guest on your server.

I look forward to it!

You have a date of service?

Is it actually readable? If it is, then it sounds really good. I love this kind of thing, but I also don't mind a bit of literary endeavour. Those books on the Luftwaffe in the Crimea just about knocked me out every time I opened them.

Yes it is.It is based on reports of gen Erhard Raus,famous commander of 6th panzerdivision.There are lots of examples how germans used combined units (or kampfgruppe) when dealing with unexpected situation on eastern front.Story about  brave KV tank defending crossing at Raseiniai in 41 or Wintergewitter undergoings around Verkhne-Kumskiy are smtg every WW2 enthusiast must read.And that is the magic of this book.Fighting on regimental scale,where you can litteraly follow each action in very detailed manner.So it is not about those large arrows at Supreme HQ,it is about those smaller,hardly visible ;)