I can't really even confess to having given WT much thought, but if I was to, come out, as it were, I have looked at a couple of videos. :unsure:

If anyone can bring themselves to even admit that they've dabbled with the dark side what I'd like to know is:

What, if any, cool features, animations, sounds, graphics effects made you go "WOW,  that's neat "I hope they have something like that in BoS" ?

I'm not interested in what people think of the overall authenticity or feel of the game, just what little details might have caught your attention.

I expect this might be the BoS worlds shortest topic however, as nobody will probably admit to playing the game in the first place, but then again you never know.

The whole game made me go "wow" tbh. However, WarThunder is what got me flying tho. I had a x52 Pro, but SST is trash. So I bought the HOTAS Warthog... And a couple dcs games :) So thanks to WT, I'm really into doin the flight sim thing. Flyin in FRB there, DCS and even some IL2 Cliffs.

It does look beautiful. Sounds pretty good too. However if you don't know, it's basically an arcade simulator, or soft sim. It feels judging off DCS P51, it is more forgiving to fly - especially take offs & landing. I have no trouble in IL2 tho. Advanced Eng management is a joke, as are several planes FM/DMs... However if you can get past that the game can be enjoyable. That & we need more people in FRB! Don't waste too much time in HB with a stick, unless you masocistic.

• Upvote 1

I played it for a bit. It was fun at first, but the same maps over and over can get quite repetitive and the whole Me-163 vs. I-16 stuff is not that interesting to me. I also shot down more German La-5s (Premium) than Russian La-5s.

And overall all this grinding to get better planes is something that never fascinates me, especially because of limited time and having to buy planes instead just is something i didn't even want to start doing for a game like that.

Waiting times for getting into a historical battle was very long and often resulted in half or more of the planes becoming AI.

Performance was excellent, feeling of speed at low altitude was good too. Sound was quite bad though. AI flew UFOs. Many flightmodels were not refined yet and even those that were, did not feel that impressive.

Can't think of that many features that Warthunder has which stand out in a positive way, excluding the huge amounts of planes and perhaps the clouds, which looked quite well from a distance.

Edited by hq_Matt

I don't know if this is in War Thunder, but in Birds of Steel, the game's console predecessor, there were actual INFANTRY UNITS, going around shooting at each other and you! They were pretty hard to spot, except for in the American Campaign's Guadalcanal level, but damn, you could hear the 'CRACK! CRACK!' of their rifles!

It,s have me get in to flight sim intress have gone from arcade to there frb buy a tricker 5 view ,broke 2 logitech 3 Ext pro sticks ...even now have buy a hostas warthog

never have to read so manny on internet and forum fore gaming than fore a other type of game  .

After see manny movies of all the flight sims there were in the past, i have miss a lot of game fun the last 10 years

I really hope i gone like this IL2 bos ,it,s gone be damm hard fore me....and for those who i go see moving along the sky like a eagle on the wind you have my respect

• Upvote 1

I can't think of anything to be honest. I'm impressed with how War Thunder looks, but BoS also looks very impressive from the live stream footage I've seen so far.

Since the games provide different experiences, I hadn't really considered whether I might "miss" anything from War Thunder. I doubt it as the features of BoS that I'm looking forward to aren't key components of War Thunder. So I'm more interested in the big things, and besides, I'm expecting BoS to have the greater attention to detail when it comes to the little things anyway.

I'm going to share my shame here, because you seem like kind folks. I was a GM with WT for something close to 6 months, please don't hold it against me.

I gained a few things I'm glad to have from my time in WT; an interest in flight (yes, WT isn't really so sim, but it got me interested in flight simulation), a healthy respect for the folks that do moderation, a closer look at how a game is developed, a bunch of really dedicated sim enthusiast guys I met, and the friendly guys I like to call my squadmates.

I'd have none of that if I hadn't been there, so I feel like it was a pretty good trade for some of my free time.

Edited by -JG2-Creepermoss
  • Upvote 2

I'll admit it, I play Warthunder :) It's a quick fun game I can play with some of my less hardcore flight sim friends to introduce them to all the fun. Maybe they will end up here someday too.

For me the biggest wow in the graphics was how tanks and vehicles look from the air. You can see their dust trails from very far away, it makes bombing and ground attack missions very realistic. I always had trouble spotting tanks in CoD and DCS in the p51.

Clouds look great too, so does the terrain. PLUS it all runs very smooth on lower end PCs.

Up until a while ago I was unaware of this game. Hearing that its a "soft sim" arcade type I think I'll pass. Brings back memories of IEN Warbirds 2.77 and 3.. pay to play,was fun but not the sim thing I was looking for.

A quick look on youtube will show you what it is like and I have to say it doesn't look nice to me. I'd rather fly IL2/ROF over that any day of the week especially PC performance is an issue. CLOD is also pretty good but does require a slightly more powerful computer.

Honestly nothing in it is really that impressive to me. The graphics aren't overly impressive compared to RoF. It has some nicer textures but falls flat on its face in lighting effects (they don't exist beyond 300m or so). Sound is dated by a good 10+ years as well. I've played it for the past 7+ months waiting for BoS to be released. It is primarily an arcade shooter at this point. It did show signs of going the survey sim route earlier but they have since departed that path rather significantly and abruptly the last couple months. I take back what I previously stated about it not impressing me in any way, I am impressed with how blatantly they ripped off their early contributors to chase some mouse aim, 20mm cannon proof bomber arcade dollars. I don't see any long term potential in that game given their current direction. Too complicated for the arcade crowd (no HP bars and such) but no appeal to anyone with an interest in any sort of CFS. They have tons of players atm, but I think that's a short term thing.

• Upvote 3

Installed and un-installed within about a day nuff said, if it`s bringing folks here then that`s great but I doubt we`ll see many going in the opposite direction.

Well I am one of those new immigrants from WarThunderia, and I must say I got tired of being an afterthought to the arcaders and mouseaimers. Now they are on Steam we have the Steamers to join the ponies and anime people, so it was a hostile environment, and getting called elitist for using a joystick to fly a virtual plane was getting old. I have my preorder and hope I have better times here, even though I don't fancy Russian equipment or the theatre, I think I need to support a simmer developer just to show there is a market.

I actually like that game. I have all of the Bf-109's unlocked except for the 'Kurfurst'. I also use all of my Fw-190's and my Zerstorer's Me-410 and Bf-110. I try and play FRB as much as possible. I just wish they would make the La-5 and La-7 perform historically accurate. I witnessed one accelerate while in a climb in excess of 70 deg pitch up and catch a bomber. I saw him over my port wing come up from 5mi below me to right up there with us in 10 seconds flat. None the less a good plane doesn't make a good pilot and I swiftly reminded him of that with my R5 gun package.

I found this game from the War Thunder forums....

Although not a total newb to flying  (WWIIOL, Wings of Prey), I had basically given up on them after playing IL2 1946 and finding it just too hard..... War Thunder renewed that interest, but then proceeded to kick it in the goolies with mouse aim. Luckily I kept seeing comments about something called BoS in the forums and decided to see what it was.

I have now bought the premium edition and am praying I have a bit more persitance than last time in learning to fly well. Maybe community is the key to that....

In any case, War Thunder is a game that brings in the money but it is also bringing in a lot of new people. The vast majority are ADHD kids who will just move onto the next twitch and shoot when it comes out, but there are also going to be a lot of others who will look further in the genre, surely a win for the niche. The job now for you vets is to help the newbs in adjusting to the difficulty and getting them to enjoy it! S!

• Upvote 1

The vast majority are ADHD kids who will just move onto the next twitch and shoot when it comes out

Yes, that's how we show how adult we are! We make fun of children with psychological issues!

It's really annoying how much people on these forums say 'Kids these days are just idiotic YOLO-SWAG people who don't repect history'. That's complete lunacy. I've only heard my friends say 'YOLO' or 'SWAG' sarcastically. And if you keep saying stuff like that, you really shouldn't be confused if people take one look at this forum and decide that flight sims suck.

Yes, that's how we show how adult we are! We make fun of children with psychological issues!

It's really annoying how much people on these forums say 'Kids these days are just idiotic YOLO-SWAG people who don't repect history'. That's complete lunacy. I've only heard my friends say 'YOLO' or 'SWAG' sarcastically. And if you keep saying stuff like that, you really shouldn't be confused if people take one look at this forum and decide that flight sims suck.

Wow, that's a very emotional response. I'm sorry that you feel my tongue in cheek comment was somehow an attack on children with psychological issues.

"Swag" I know as a sleeping mat, "Yolo" I shall have to google.

I don't particularly want my first introduction to the board to become an argument so I shant respond further. I honestly thought my comment was an obvious fallacy of generalization and would be seen to be such. Apologies for that not being the case.

Hey Yob

Glad you found your way here. Hope you like it when it is released. You do know that you've ordered a beta, right? I mean it'll become the full game but first will be a 'testbed'.

Hi, thanks for the welcome.

I do realize it's the beta, hopefully even as a learner I can contribute somehow...

I notice you are in Kobe....I'm in Kyoto!

What, if any, cool features, animations, sounds, graphics effects made you go "WOW,  that's neat "I hope they have something like that in BoS" ?

WT has impressive terrain details for sure. Speaking of other visual effects (stuff explodes, smokes and sparkles endlessly) - well, I'm sorry but it would break the simulation and make an action game out of IL2BOS.

But we're making a flight sim, which - just like real life - looks more washy, sounds quiter and plays seriously. Nevertheless, IL2BOS visuals are great for a flight sim game, and I've seen different games. :)

• Upvote 2

I was with WT since it was WoP. WT lost me with the whole grind to advance model. I don't like it, never did and will just not be bothered with any product like that for long. I buy and fly sims because I want to fly in a virtual world. I don't mind buying the add ons and accessories to accompoish this but I refuse to be forced into having to fly to unlock stuff. That model does not work for me. I don't have the time to spend xx hours a day just to unlock anything and this is the only concern I have with BoS. I don't have that kind of time and when I do take the time to fky I either want to fly with my squadmates on line or fly what I want to fly from the choices available in the given product without having to do anything other than click and fly. I don't mind paying for the options even if I don't use them all as in the case with RoF... I have every single seat fighter in the sim save one but I prefer to fly a hand full.. but it I decide to fly something else I can. If RoF was under the WT model I'd still br e stuck on the planes from the initial release given the time I put into Rof. Yet as I said.. I was willing to spend the money for my options. I am not alone in this respect and I hope the final version of boS is structured in such a way so that I can do that because if it is all campaign driven I probably will not invest as much in it.

WT was OK but the system that it used was also quite cumbersome, at least in the beginning.. I haven't flown it in a long time and never did fly it on line. I find that as dated as it is IL2 does a very good job still of giving me what I want in a sim.. At this point I want more and WT is not it.. I believe that Bos can do that... Cod and DCs scratch that itch to an extent as well but I still find myself rubbing on the walls so hopefully BoS will do that.

Although not a total newb to flying  (WWIIOL, Wings of Prey), I had basically given up on them after playing IL2 1946 and finding it just too hard..... War Thunder renewed that interest

I have now bought the premium edition and am praying I have a bit more persitance than last time in learning to fly well. Maybe community is the key to that....

I'd be interested in hearing what you think of BoS when you get your hands on it. My position is similar in that I played flight games for a long time but interest faded when the level of simulation reached a point where I felt I needed to spend too much practicing before I could actually play the game. I've probably got less spare time now than then though perhaps more patience, I spent time last night testing carrier takes-off and landings with full controls in War Thunder.

Whilst War Thunder has rekindled my interest, it isn't quite the game I want, too much pvp focus for my tastes but it's the only way you can progress and get new planes. I've got IL-2: 1946 and have been playing more of it recently, it's been fun but I still find myself play more WT. So I don't really know if BoS will be for me either.

WT lost me with the whole grind to advance model.

This, but not this alone. I really, really liked the general art direction in Wings of Prey. For the first time ever in any simulation, I got a feeling of being there in flight. This is what really drew me into flight simulations as a hobby, before that I did not think it would be possible to reproduce the feeling of flight that closely.

Surely we're not talking about technical accuracy down to the last rivet here that produced the sensation. It was a combination of landscape textures, lighting, effects, reflections, clouds, movement. It was really really nicely done.

Somehow, for me, that got lost in the transition to WT.

MAC

PS: from what I've seen I think IL2 BOS will have it

Edited by MACADEMIC

This, but not this alone. I really, really liked the general art direction in Wings of Prey. For the first time ever in any simulation, I got a feeling of being there in flight. This is what really drew me into flight simulations as a hobby, before that I did not think it would be possible to reproduce the feeling of flight that closely.

Surely we're not talking about technical accuracy down to the last rivet here that produced the sensation. It was a combination of landscape textures, lighting, effects, reflections, clouds, movement. It was really really nicely done.

Somehow, for me, that got lost in the transition to WT.

MAC

PS: from what I've seen I think IL2 BOS will have it

I agree. WoP was visually very well done... even the ballistics were nice.. I relly liked that water vapor in the clud bit too.. While it was not as good as CoD in the FM department I think it was close enough to be fun. The P-47 in there could out dive anything.. but the whole map size thing list me and so did the off the map effect of being placed back in the center of the map. I was hoping they would just increase the map sizes and add a mission editor..

Try DCS... I really like their P-51.. I am not a huge fan of modern sims. They just don't do much for me at all.

WT also brought me into sims, I was with them since early closed beta (Though I always used full controls, none of that mouseaim bullcrap), I have since ventured out, tried my hand at other sims as well.

The thing about WT that is mind-boggling is that they basically promised us something in early closed beta and then went complete 180* U-turn.

They promised us realism, but now they dont even care about simmers and realism (be it in DMs, FMs, Gameplay mechanism, content). They blatantly made it more and more into a arcade game the last 3 or so months.

At first, people said that they will add in the realism, the engine is not finished yet, things will be added, realism was key to their priorities, and they still maintain that, but it is utter hogwash.

BoS will be fun in that regard, an infinitely better sim experience.

I do think WT was good though, met many fellow simmers and likeminded people, awesome friends, and some really experienced simmers who have taught me much.

See you in the barren skies over Russia

• Upvote 1

WT has impressive terrain details for sure. Speaking of other visual effects (stuff explodes, smokes and sparkles endlessly) - well, I'm sorry but it would break the simulation and make an action game out of IL2BOS.

But we're making a flight sim, which - just like real life - looks more washy, sounds quiter and plays seriously. Nevertheless, IL2BOS visuals are great for a flight sim game, and I've seen different games. :)

Thanks for this. No "Hollywood" effects! ;)

Sokol1

God help me, but their Stalingrad summer map looks nice. Gameplay is very juvenile however.

It looks very nice.. but it is small even compared to IL2's Stalingrad map..

At most I'll miss the infantry, but this thread has proven that WT is attracting people into the hobby and that's a great thing :).

That is a very good thing and that is why I think there is a place for WT.. I think that it is good to have tiers in things lke this.. and when you get bored or too comfy at one level you step up a rung. I hope that BoS will be, if not the top rung the rung just under it... 

Have to agree with KarayaOne's sentiments on the 180, the broken promises, the stonewalling. But there seems to be a few posters who have jumped ship to here after seeing the mysterious BOS mentioned, so I guess the name drop campaign is working. I am expecting a WOT style bans to show up soon for namedropping, especially since WT is looking more and more like WOT everyday.