sialo

Reasons for leaving War Thunder and moving to BOS

Hi , thought it might be good to hear players experiences and reasons for leaving war thunder , and how they are findinding BOS . for me the straw that broke the camels back was players jumping from arcade mode into simulator getting a mitchell  bomber turning on smoke and dogfighting with fighters and coming away with 5 kills .long queues and  only being able to squad up with 4 . im loving bos ive bought a new pc so running this maxed out , graphics are out of this world . the feeling of flying seems more realistic to me . definately will be staying with this for a long time . just need to find a squadron and a way of saving different settings for my joystick , i have a x55 rhino and some commands dont seem to register so i have to do half in game ,  half on my joystick  . In game i see no way of saving commands.thats my only grumble at the moment im sure this will change with later updates .

What I didn't like about WT was having to grind to get better aircraft. And the planes had the same "feel"... I mean, the Chaika and FW-190 A8 differed in speed and turnrate but had the same weird "floaty" feeling.... I just never got the right feeling while driving.... something that all IL-2-named sims had was that correct feeling... hard to explain actually...

The main reason for me was the imbalance between mouse players and joystick players, putting joystick players at an unfair disadvantage, where mouse users have the computer doing most of the flying for them, not being hampered by damage (until completely destroyed), canon recoil, and generally having a much easier time aiming.  It becomes a 3rd person view click/shooting game.  If I'm going to play from an outside view with a mouse, I won't feel like I'm flying.  Sticking with a stick with the (obviously more limiting) cockpit view is much better for immersion, but not competitive.  And the grind, and the grind, and the grind...  Too bad though, it had good things going for it, like quick action in Arcade mode, nice maps, nice graphics.

• Upvote 4

Whoa... I didn't even know that you could fly that way in WT...

Explains a lot actually...

also the graphics settings , i dont think i ever had the graphics set right as everyone around me seem to spot planes that i just couldnt see , so in the end i turned everything off ran the game on the lowest graphics settings just so i could spot ..very annoying

LEAVING WAR THUNDER AND MOVING TO BOS  >>>  no more word needed, this say everything :biggrin:

I left War Thunder because of all-caps thread titles and because I hoped the Ju-87 was fully modelled in BoS. Well, not much changed in that regard, eh?

The match maker in WT was utterly broken, in BoS you can pick a limited number of planes and not fight off planes from a wrong era in Sim battles.

The WT community is a good enough reason.. Most players will bail out as soon as youre on their 6 (F2P model that attracks kids with no self esteem, and no brains..). Then you got this ''report'' function which works great, if you know how to abuse it. You can simply teamkill a player, watch him rage back at you or whatever, now you can report him and there you go, player just got banned from chat. 

Im banned from chat now for 11500 days and I never TK I never KS or I never rage at ppl without any good reasons, Ive had my history of foul language and thats just me speaking the truth which some weaker ppl may not handle.. And yes, I got some kind of line and if that line beeing crossed you will hear it or you will tase my cannons. Little to no respect within the WT community, heaps of kids with nothing but anime on their minds. 

Then you got the simulator part. BoS is on such a level that you cannot even compare these two games. Where BoS go for quality, WT goes for quantity. 

I do love the ammont of planes that WT got to offer, and WT is the only game I know of where I can enjoy my beloved Corsair (my favorite prop plane of all times) at a high level of detail.

WT do have various gameplay to enjoy, and it is a great game (if youre not all that crazy about simulation) and their vision is also something to get inspired by. But in the end, somewhere on the road, they got lost.. 

Ive spent money on WT and when Im getting my x55 joystick I might not go back! Havent yet got to try a singly flyout with BoS which is something I really look forward. 

Edited by AceRevo
  • Upvote 2

I'd like to propose to change the title into "One reason to not leave War Thunder and moving to BoS". This could give us all a more intersting and enjoyable discussion / trollthread. :popcorm:

Edited by [Jg26]5tuka
  • Upvote 1

I'd like to propose to change the title into "One reason to not leave War Thunder and moving to BoS". This could give us all a more intersting and enjoyable discussion / trollthread. :popcorm:

Are we allowed to cite unrealized/ wasted potential? :cray:

Edited by Bis18marck70
  • Upvote 1

Why is this thread still in general discussion? If it was titled "Reasons to stay with WT (or CloD) vs moving to BoS" it would be gone.

In game i see no way of saving commands.thats my only grumble at the moment im sure this will change with later updates .

Have you tried pressing "accept" twice? Once when you hit the key and once and the bottom right of the settings menu? Seems silly to tell you this, but the amount of times I've forgotten is...way too many.

From what I played War thunder is no worse than IL-2 1946 on an arcade server.

Full real is ok to for an online free game that doesn't cost a single red penny.

I play it mostly for the new tanks beta as a new replacement for World of tanks.

The game is free  :biggrin: .

Let us see what this game will end up costing you with the new system in place

for the next five years.

Edited by WTornado

Main reason for me would be no waiting times at all. Choose a dedicated server , join and play for hours. No more Wait Thunder , waiting for couple of minutes watching some stupid charts of how many players are also waiting to join a game.

I played WT for hours and when BoS early access started I just could not go back , I launched it couple of times since but every time I get into a WT plane cockpit i just laugh how poor it looks , like made out of cardboard box.

Warthunder is trash now and has no hope. Devs too greedy and doing unnecessary investments such as an obscure tablet support, a VR system that I never heard of (I thought they made the game more grindy because lack of funds? lol!) They do changes that make literally no sense what so ever and haven't fixed bugs in years that have been massed submitted. The community is god awful ESPECIALLY the moderators, they literally dont know how to moderate a forum well and are all power abusers who like to feel powerful locking unnecessary threads, censoring and what not (And on top of that I couldnt even report 2 of them for abuse when they trolled a legit bug claim ect, just played telephone with the higher ups until the highest up just ignored me but asked me what was wrong without reading my PM. Thanks for wasting my time writing a big well written post) And ill end here by saying the game is terribly unbalanced that isn't even historical. If you are going to make a unbalanced make it ATLEAST historical! Instead you just have a game thats just not balanced nor make any sense why it isnt balanced.

So those are some of my reasoning from a longtime WT player lol. I seriously can't believe I found IL2:BOS though! I was just looking around and finally heard about it and quickly did some research and bought it. No regrets, this game is just what I wanted! cant wait for it to be finished  :biggrin: and I recommended it to all my WT buddys as well who like realism and history

Edited by NuclearPenguin
  • Upvote 1

BoS is a combat flight simulator.  WarThunder is an airplane game :gamer:

Airplane flavored game product. Like what we have in supermarkets that they call cheese product, that can't be legally called cheese.

Mouse aimers, the community, idiotic pony people, firing of the EU FM team, ravishing of history with their super secret Stalin Stash of Super Confidential flight documents that oh so conveniently made LA-5ns like UFO and also conveniently cannot be shown to you because you are not Russian. All the nice simmer mods apparently got demoted to be replaced by mouse aimer idiots. 

Edited by kongxinga
  • Upvote 1

Airplane flavored game product. Like what we have in supermarkets that they call cheese product, that can't be legally called cheese.

Mouse aimers, the community, idiotic pony people, firing of the EU FM team, ravishing of history with their super secret Stalin Stash of Super Confidential flight documents that oh so conveniently made LA-5ns like UFO and also conveniently cannot be shown to you because you are not Russian. All the nice simmer mods apparently got demoted to be replaced by mouse aimer idiots.

It begs the question: What if a kit builder in Europe or North America made a full-scale replica of the Lavochkin, even matching engine power output? Then what would they do?

• Upvote 1

Hi , thought it might be good to hear players experiences and reasons for leaving war thunder , and how they are findinding BOS .

Because WT is crap and BoS is not.. nuff said?

You will be getting my 2 cents about comparing IL-2 1946,Cliffs of Dover,War Thunder,and now

this game.

I have been flying for a very very long time 1c products.

Tried and couldn't get into Rise of flight. WWI wasn't my thing.

I like the armored version of WT it is a shame there are no serious

non arcade versions the best i have tried on WWII was T-34 vs Tiger

but it was bugged to death.

My biggest dissapointment was, like many others, the mouse aiming. The game acts like the player is the pilot, and the game is the instructor, but in fact the player is the instructor, and the game flies the plane. What the player does has nothing to do with flying. 

Players only have to point where they want to go, and the game does the rest. 

This wouldn't be a big problem if there was a choice to play joystick only games, but it is not an option, so you can choose between flying with a joystick and getting murdered every game by someone who only has to click ahead of you to kill you, or play like a kid and point where you want the little plane to go. 

• Upvote 1

It begs the question: What if a kit builder in Europe or North America made a full-scale replica of the Lavochkin, even matching engine power output? Then what would they do?

I will answer that for you. Some guy managed to get original Luftwaffe tests of captured LA-5n (in german no less) that showed the vast, vast questionable modelling decisions. The WT implementation was simply fantasy. The fanboys and mouseaimer "mods" defense was that Germans did not know how to fly planes and were flying it incorrectly. :(  Then more excuses popped up, plane was damaged yadda yadda.

I mean, some guy spent a lot of his own time to find you information, and all he got was belittlement. That was mouseaimer community for you, who did not care anything for FMs or modelling, as long as they could buy super ammo and point their mice.

WT is a great game, tons of aircraft and lots of action. However, it sits more in the realm of a FPS rather than a sim. It does have a simulator game mode, but with the large number of placeholder/broken flight models its only so useful. Also I have found that when flying in Sim mode It really doesn't feel like you are actually flying your plane like in BoS. The sim mode also makes up a tiny fraction of the WT community so it gets little attention from the dev team. Maybe years down the road it will become more flushed out, but who knows. 

Maybe years down the road it will become more flushed out, but who knows.

LOL, great typo there.

• Upvote 2

As I've said a few times here I enjoy Warthunder.

First of all it's FREE, I have been playing for over a year and have yet to spend a dime. Second of all I ONLY play on simulator difficulty. It has less mouse aimers, you need a stick to be pretty good, and runs great on my pc with 3 monitors. Smooth fps all the time.

The biggest thing I love about Warthunder is it's a great intro into more hardcore flight sims like BoS for the casual gamer. When I was a kid in the 90's we had all these great flight sims to get us hooked. Nowdays kids don't have those kinda games. So WT is the game that gets them hooked on WW2 aviation and history. If they want a more realistic sim then they can move on up to BoS.

• Upvote 1

So WT is the game that gets them hooked on WW2 aviation and history. If they want a more realistic sim then they can move on up to BoS.

Not rly. It has been like that previously when it still made fun (2 years ago). We had very competent pilots in SB and a growing simulation comunity despite all the acarde thing going on.

Now it's just a ridiculously laughtable. Aside form FMs (which are utterly terrible) the MM is totally messed and biased. And that's just a few issues that went right out of hands since open beta started....a pity, since it was a very competetive and enjoyable game during closed beta stage.

As for myself I also started with WT to get into dogfighting. It somehow worked there, though I felt I simply couldn't get any better at some point. Than I started to fly RoF (which I still enjoy today) and despite it being a totally different expirience than ww2 planes it teached me advanced ACM and the intuitivity of turn-/stallfights better than any other sim.

The best way to get into aviation is starting with a sim, not playing plane games.

Edited by [Jg26]5tuka
  • Upvote 1

Not rly. It has been like that previously when it still made fun (2 years ago). We had very competent pilots in SB and a growing simulation comunity despite all the acarde thing going on.

Now it's just a ridiculously laughtable. Aside form FMs (which are utterly terrible) the MM is totally messed and biased. And that's just a few issues that went right out of hands since open beta started....a pity, since it was a very competetive and enjoyable game during closed beta stage.

As for myself I also started with WT to get into dogfighting. It somehow worked there, though I felt I simply couldn't get any better at some point. Than I started to fly RoF (which I still enjoy today) and despite it being a totally different expirience than ww2 planes it teached me advanced ACM and the intuitivity of turn-/stallfights better than any other sim.

The best way to get into aviation is starting with a sim, not playing plane games.

I disagree.  i started with WT as a game and progressed up from there and I was a military pilot in my youth.  I still love WT bu only as a mouse player.  BoS is my goto sim for "flying". That and DCS.

I never even touched Warthunder. In the gap between 1946 and Il-2 BOX, i played ROF and before that left flightsims for a while. I played modded version's of SH3 and 4 for quite a while. 

Grt M

I still enjoy WT. The aircraft variety is incomparable. Some of the newer cockpits are great. F4u-4s. The performance, for such detailed maps, is outstanding. If the ai was in anyway worthy of the name "intelligence" id spend a lot of time in SP. As others have said the community and the certain type of folk who play that game is, for me, the main reason it wont realise its obvious potential. It will remain a fps with airplanes.

Its good that folk are looking for "better" and comming to BoX but unfortunately they will bring the WT mentality with them. No tactics, shoulder shooting, "you stole my kill". Theres a learning curve and not just with flying skill.

Edited by Rolling_Thunder

Apart from some glaring game issues - compressed jet tiers, automated ranking, FMs, DMs, and hit detection - the community interaction was terrible. Their mod team was, and quite possibly still is, full of people with a power complex making them a pain to discuss with and denser than a lead weight. They would often ferociously defend all the developers decisions even if they were universally hated, be often hypocritical to defend their stance and would even bait people in to getting them banned.

The very best of this was the discussion of the Ju-87D-5 with it's cannons and air breaks when the dive break were removed for "historical (balance) reasons" and there was a large thread with a ton of documents proving otherwise. This all came to boiling point when one of the most hated mods (BBB) posted pictures of a D-8 and field modified D-5's as "proof" the D-5 came factory standard without dive breaks and said the quote "don't argue with idiots, they'll only drag you down and beat you with experience". 

this one one of many different but similar cases of the moderation and community mangers being awful at what they did with others being the captured premiums (jap B-17), Enduring confrontations, tank CBT vs the release, WTPC (a complete shit show), Avarik's response to how shit the mods were doing things, loot crates, balancing issues etc. 

The community went from being on of the best I've known online to one I don't ever plan on joining again which I find quite sad and I do miss it a lot

I am, I understand, one of the few that enjoyed "Wings of Prey" which was Gaijin's previous game to WT. Even now I am impressed by the lighting, ground detail, and effects.

I then became an Alpha tester for War Thunder and along with other members of the original IL2 community (I think Bearcat was in there too) who hoped for the next Sim with the latest graphics (which at that time still seemed possible). Sadly it soon became clear Sim player inputs to the developers were not being taken onboard and then the grind table appeared.... and it then became obvious this would end up as a pay to win/play game.

Most of us walked away feeling we had wasted our time and hugely disappointed.

I then moved to Cliffs of Dover (as most of you know) but have bought all the packs for BoS as I enjoy Sims and want to support developers as it expands my and others possibilities in the future.

War Thunder sadly (for me) could have been so much better and interesting to flight simmers but ultimately ended up as an FPS for aircraft.

MP

I am, I understand, one of the few that enjoyed "Wings of Prey" which was Gaijin's previous game to WT.

MP

I actually enjoyed Wings of Prey a lot.

I went from original IL-2, to PF, to IL-2 1946 the Cliffs of Dover, and then BoS.

War Thunder has never really had an appeal for me.

Guest deleted@30725

I wonder how many times the OP re-started war thunder since posting in 2014. Is the OP even still playing BOS?  :salute:

I've put far more time and money into WT than BoS. All the issues with the game put aside, it really helped shape me into the person I am today. Aside from reading about aircraft in books and stuff like that, flight didn't peak my interest too much.

After I started, I guess you could say it took flight. ;)

It was fun while it lasted. But all good things must come to an end.

• Upvote 1

Was after a more realistic and better modeled large plane and bomber experience.

also i always found it funny playing war thunder as its a plane game.
But it has no Wind or proper weather that acts on the planes handling or engine.

This would be like playing World of Warships without Water or currents in the water

I never left. Its still my Favorite F2P Game... even tho it was the first F2P where i really put alot of money in and felt good with it. It has it Whales vehicle but most of the time (especial when there special offers) i feel its very budged friendly game. 

Sure its nots BoS kind of Sim but i still like to fly from time to time. Or playing with Friends the Arcade mode. And i never had a grindy feel as i never was interessted in Jets or super high rank prop gameplay.

And im in a similar boat like milopugdog. After war thunder i really start getting into 30's / 40's Aircrafts. And this part of History. But for me it never ended, just have bigger breaks from time to time :D

Also someone complained about the Community... well i think the community here is similar just smaller sized. The most annoyng type of player for me where those German Fanboys which allways felt like their godplanes where to weak. And i see this and debades about this subject from time to time here as well (see the La5FN thread in General which was closed :D)

Also sure Gaijin isnt really super hardcore supportive towards the Sim Community (as they are a small part) but at least now all Bomber have a Cockpit even tho they are placeholder but still most of them are fine. And the new Sim mode dont have waiting times of 5 minutes not even a second. The "EC" Mode which is split into diffrent rooms, kinda feels like playing on  WoL just with fewer Player and random spawning Ground Battles :D

And i find War Thunder is an excellend Kickstarter for Sim newbs. Only problem its, better to start off with Arcade than "realistic" mode to get more planes because the Biplanes feel weird in Sim mode and also its a nice small learning curve and its a very friendly f2p. 

i think war thunder teaches more bad habbits than it helps new players learning to fly
like in WT Flaps help fighters turn better at high speeds even WHILE INVERTED omg thats hilarious

Learning to drive in a penny arcade racing booth will not help you much out on the real road

Edited by =TBAS=Sshadow14

In SB the Flaps just break off if you are to fast, which is for most planes quite slow. They work wrong on Yak1 or Spitfire for sure.