Jason_Williams

BOS is up on Steam. Need your help.

I am asking this question here, as I am not allowed to reply to the topic of buying and installing BOM. 

I have BOS installed - purchased a cd from Amazon, and installed into steam as per on screen instructions, where it resides alongside CLOD, which was also purchased from Amazon, installed from cd, and into steam.

I have an account with steam, and I have to open steam - mostly off line - to run the 2 games.

Who do I purchase BOM from - yourselves or directly from steam ?

Installation seems one heck of a problem - not like ROF where the add on you buy is automatically installed next time you go on line.

I have seen numerous questions on this, and some, to be frank, quite callous and insulting answers.

My profile page only shows my pilot card/records, and does not have a purchases tab.

I did purchase BOM from steam in the last sale, and it was downloaded successfully.

Installation, however, was not successful, and in fairness to steam, they reimbursed my purchase cost. 

Your two guides do not really help - activation via your store/steam.

Is there not a more simplistic way of dealing with purchase and installation of BOM ( and future add ons - Battle of Bodenplatte ?

I know I am not alone in this conundrum.

I am asking this question here, as I am not allowed to reply to the topic of buying and installing BOM. 

I have BOS installed - purchased a cd from Amazon, and installed into steam as per on screen instructions, where it resides alongside CLOD, which was also purchased from Amazon, installed from cd, and into steam.

I have an account with steam, and I have to open steam - mostly off line - to run the 2 games.

Who do I purchase BOM from - yourselves or directly from steam ?

Installation seems one heck of a problem - not like ROF where the add on you buy is automatically installed next time you go on line.

I have seen numerous questions on this, and some, to be frank, quite callous and insulting answers.

My profile page only shows my pilot card/records, and does not have a purchases tab.

I did purchase BOM from steam in the last sale, and it was downloaded successfully.

Installation, however, was not successful, and in fairness to steam, they reimbursed my purchase cost. 

Your two guides do not really help - activation via your store/steam.

Is there not a more simplistic way of dealing with purchase and installation of BOM ( and future add ons - Battle of Bodenplatte ?

I know I am not alone in this conundrum.

I would suggest making a topic in the support section. But just to run through some things, the only way you will have access to the in-game content is activating the key in this website. Activating the key on steam wont do anything but add the game to your steam library. I take it you only picked up BOM and not BOS. If you do not have BOS then steam wont work for you, as steam requires you own BOS in order to access BOM. 

There is however a launcher you can use instead of steam.

https://il2sturmovik.com/download/

Be sure to activate your keys on this website once youve signed in. You need an account before you can activate the keys.

https://il2sturmovik.com/store/license-keys/

• Like 1

Field Ops - thank you for your reply which proved to be extremely usefull.

I followed your first link, used the 1c downloader, and downloaded BOS  onto my second drive.

I now have BOS via steam ( my original game ) on drive one, and BOS via 1c on drive two.

I then took the plunge and purchased BOM from the store ( not steam as I had previously done ) and voila, the licence key had been automatically activated, and BOM was up and running in BOS.

Will now copy my skins and missions from steam BOS into 1c BOS.

Many thanks.      

• Like 1

This seems like an appropriate thread for this question, so here goes.

Is there any plans to update how BoS is set up on Steam? Not that there is anything wrong with how it is now, but I am hoping to hear that it will officially be updated to IL-2 Great Battles, and then Ideally all the DLCs will be available through that one launcher, even if it can't all be laid out from the same menu.

Would just like to see it revamped, and be able to refer to the series as Great Battles as opposed to BoS or BoX.

I'm sure it will, once the demo is available I'd imagine it will be something similar to DCS, without the total mess of having a million branches of the game that DCS currently has.

Something I don't understand : why do so many want to add their game on their Steam account?

I have some games on my Steam account, and some other games not. The fact is... I really don't care about it...

I see no advantage or disadvantage to have a game on my account or not... As long as everything is working, it's my only concern.

I bought my game from a store, a physical copy that required Steam.

Just posted a review on the terrible cloud performance and work arounds to get the sim running smooth. Cannot recommend atm in this terrible state.  If and ever this is ever fixed, I will change my review, until then, It can sit there.

Before you ask.

i7-4790K@4.1GHz | ASUS Strix GTX1070 OC'd | 16GB HyperX Ram

Edited by CastorTroy

I have no bias against Steam, but I have a digital install dating from the first purchase of the sim which seems ( with no diffinitive proof I.e. FPS numbers,) play a bit more smoothly & clearly than my Steam version while I play them using Oculus VR...I’m just saying...

OK. And before the patch, I could run the sim at 60 fps with no dip or stutter, on Ultra. Now, the counter shows 60 fps constant, but the clouds look like a slide show. Very distracting and kills the experience. And to have to do "work arounds" so you can aid the frame stutter, is completely unacceptable! I hate I purchased the Kuban map and the two collector planes now. Completely useless in the current state with the clouds and the known work around for frame stutter.

Also, while toggling the map, or HUD, I get about a quarter second frame freeze with this new patch, as I did not before.

I want to warn the potential Steam buyers, as of now, the product is broken, may not run smooth,  and not a fluid experience anymore because of the 3.001 patch.

For tech sake.

Edited by CastorTroy
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, CastorTroy said:

OK. And before the patch, I could run the sim at 60 fps with no dip or stutter, on Ultra. Now, the counter shows 60 fps constant, but the clouds look like a slide show. Very distracting and kills the experience. And to have to do "work arounds" so you can aid the frame stutter, is completely unacceptable! I hate I purchased the Kuban map and the two collector planes now. Completely useless in the current state with the clouds and the known work around for frame stutter.

Also, while toggling the map, or HUD, I get about a quarter second frame freeze with this new patch, as I did not before.

I want to warn the potential Steam buyers, as of now, the product is broken, may not run smooth,  and not a fluid experience anymore because of the 3.001 patch.

For tech sake.

Product is broken ? that's a bit harsh don't you think ? For such a massive update we should be giving these guys some credit for the massive amount of work they have done, I've seen far worse day one launches. X stillbirth anyone ? Yes there are some problems here and there, but they will be addressed soon enough. 

• Upvote 3

premature I think CastorTroy. I would have been a little fairer if the patch was a month old but a week? 

7 hours ago, BOO said:

premature I think CastorTroy. I would have been a little fairer if the patch was a month old but a week? 

The patch has been delayed several times, and I have spent the last 7 days tweaking and working around problems that should have not even been there. Not harsh, just the truth. I will change my review IF this is ever fixed. As of now, I cannot even play, or have no desire to play a product that is not working properly, and giving me frustrations. 

The sputtering, skipping, jerky clouds ruin any and all immersion for the sim.  I am using the "work around" setting for the micro stutter, that works, mostly, but the clouds render terribly and looks like they move at 1 fps. FPS counter never dips below 60.

I do not want any other Steam user to get this title until it's playable, or at least be warned of the shoddy performance after the patch.

Edited by CastorTroy

1 minute ago, CastorTroy said:

The patch has been delayed several times, and I have spent the last 7 days tweaking and working around problems that should have not even been there. Not harsh, just the truth. I will change my review IF this is ever fixed. As of now, I cannot even play, or have no desire to play a product that is not working properly, and giving me frustrations. 

The sputtering, skipping, jerky clouds ruin any and all immersion for the sim.  I am using the "work around" setting for the micro stutter, that works, mostly, but the cloulds render terribly and looks like they move at 1 fps. FPS counter never dips below 60.

I do not want any other Steam user to get this title until it's playable, or at least be warned of the shoddy performance after the patch.

As "another steam user" I thank you for your concern - oddly I don't have the problems you describe despite having a lesser rig. As for the clouds, its a well known issue but 3.001 has largely eradicated the glitch for me (at least in my 10-2 vision).

3 minutes ago, 216_Yakdriver said:

"muh clouds not smooth" "dis game suxxorx"

no value.
empty seat.

Never said the game sucks. In fact, this was my favorite sim until the patch. I spend alot of money on hardware to ensue I have steady frames. Jerky graphics give me a headache. Take your empty seat and shove it far up you a$$

If your happy with a half baked product, good for you pal.

Edited by CastorTroy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Take your empty seat and shove it far up you a$$

And that confirms the value of the things you type.
Thanks.
I hope they never fix it.
Please uninstall.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 216_Yakdriver said:

Take your empty seat and shove it far up you a$$

And that confirms the value of the things you type.
Thanks.
I hope they never fix it.
Please uninstall.

2 hours ago, 216_Yakdriver said:

"muh clouds not smooth" "dis game suxxorx"

no value.
empty seat.

This holds no value as well. And this confirms the value that you like to annoy people.

Edited by CastorTroy
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, 216_Yakdriver said:

Right backatcha <3

I don't think so. I have posted nothing from a quote to nag or annoy anyone here. As a IL2 Founder, I would think you would be more supportive, but apparently not. Im frustrated with the post patch performance, and have what seems to be "beta" testing the past week, by trying this setting, or that setting, then restarting. It becomes mind numbing.

I should not of told you to stick a chair up you a$$, but your comment was really uncalled for, and downright rude. A lot of users are having problems with sufficient hardware. Software troubles, for anybody, of any kind, can become tedious, and downright annoying. The case is the same for me here.

Edited by CastorTroy

4 hours ago, CastorTroy said:

I don't think so. I have posted nothing from a quote to nag or annoy anyone here. As a IL2 Founder, I would think you would be more supportive, but apparently not. Im frustrated with the post patch performance, and have what seems to be "beta" testing the past week, by trying this setting, or that setting, then restarting. It becomes mind numbing.

I should not of told you to stick a chair up you a$$, but your comment was really uncalled for, and downright rude. A lot of users are having problems with sufficient hardware. Software troubles, for anybody, of any kind, can become tedious, and downright annoying. The case is the same for me here.

Ignore Yakdriver. He's cantankerous at the best of times and the founder status just means first - not wise :)

It's super frustrating when the game isn't performing the way it should. I've had pretty good success so far getting it back to what I want but not everyone has yet. I think we'll get there but there may be patches or drivers we have to pay attention to or some sort of specific issue that needs testing. Most games these days are constantly changing and being in beta in some way. I think 3.001 has been a brilliant patch overall but I wouldn't feel that way if I couldn't get it to run smoothly.

With the work around, I have no stutter hardly at all. But,when toggling HUD, or the map, I get a slight freeze frame.

The clouds, on my end,  look glitchy up close. Its as if they start, "dancing". LoL.  At a distance, they look great. Before the patch, the clouds had the fluid gas motion expected of a cloud. Hopefully the devs can sort it out.

For me, and I am sure most can agree, Flight sims, and Racing sims particular, the FPS mean everything.

SMOOTH FRAMES MATTER

Edited by CastorTroy

Game starting matters. After the 3.001 update, the Steam version of the game hasn't started at all. I've contacted support and I'm waiting for the next update/hotfix to remedy the situation.

3 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Game starting matters. After the 3.001 update, the Steam version of the game hasn't started at all. I've contacted support and I'm waiting for the next update/hotfix to remedy the situation.

That's weird I use the steam client and not had any launch game issues. I do right click on it on my steam library, and select launch with steam vr though. Have you tried reinstalling ?

1 minute ago, =FEW=Herne said:

That's weird I use the steam client and not had any launch game issues. I do right click on it on my steam library, and select launch with steam vr though. Have you tried reinstalling ?

Yes. Tried starting via the Steam quick launch icon and directly from Il2.exe.

Installed the game using the launcher from il2sturmovik.com. That works, so I'm able to play.

21 hours ago, CastorTroy said:

17 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Ignore Yakdriver. He's cantankerous at the best of times and the founder status just means first - not wise :)

Ha! He's the only one (the only person I've ever done this to) on my "ignore" list!

On 3/21/2018 at 10:48 AM, =FEW=Herne said:

Product is broken ? that's a bit harsh don't you think ? For such a massive update we should be giving these guys some credit for the massive amount of work they have done, I've seen far worse day one launches. X stillbirth anyone ? Yes there are some problems here and there, but they will be addressed soon enough. 

On 3/21/2018 at 11:35 AM, BOO said:

Your right. Just have been very frustrated the last few days. The anger finally came out in my fingertips..... I changed my review, gave it a positive, and will wait for a fix. The scripted campaigns are not giving me any cloud stutter what so ever, well, just slightly, and the HUD, and map do not freeze the frame for a split second in those modes. Only career do i get them.  Edited review below....

One of if not the most, realistic WW2 flight sim on the market. The new patch has introduced a new dimension for single player gaming with the career mode, which is a dynamic campaign, that can span all three maps, if purchased. All in all a solid sim experience.

The newest patch has created a few bugs, in which you have to select a few graphic options to counter some micro stutter,  but hopefully this will be sorted soon....