Graphics Card Recommendations

A  stock 7970 is the better perfoming  card but not by much, using a 7970 ghz edition myself playing on ultra 

settings, using a i7 4790k@4.6ghz but up to recently was using an old  i7 960 not overclocked at all and could 

still get good frames on ultra settings, have not used an Nvdia card on BOS so really cant comment.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/508?vs=598

The current QMB and MP mode are probably not representative for the final version. So it might make sense to wait.

But i can also run Ultra just fine with my 660 Ti (1680x1050 resolution).

As I have said elsewhere, BoS runs better for me than RoF. The optimization of this game has been great for me. I know that is not true for everyone but I am more than satisfied with how the game runs. With my rig (see below) at Ultra it runs at about 40-45 fps on or very near the ground and gets quickly up to 55-60 with altitude. In RoF, running on what I am sure are lower settings I start out at 30-35 on the ground and rarely hit 60 even at high (well for WWI) altitude. I hope RoF gets at least the optimization that BoS has received!

ps; you can pick up the GTX 660 for around $200(US) these days.

Edited by SYN_Mike77

Thanks for all the quick responses.

Can anyone explain the relationship btwn gpu speed and gpu memory? Can an older card with more memory compete with a newer card which is faster but has less memory?

What are the trade offs?

My understanding is that gpu memory is great for caching textures. The gpu, however, must be fast enough to make use of the onboard memory. How can you tell that a card has the balance right? Otherwise, you're wasting money on resources the card cannot exploit. 

Thanks again.

FC

Did find this and hope it helps other searching for cards:

"It depends upon the resolution at which you are gaming. If you are gaming at 1080p then anything above 2 GB is an overkill. But if you game at 1440p then 3 GB is the way to go. And currently 4 Gb is only necessary if game with multi-monitors For eg 5760*1080 resolution."

• Upvote 2

Extreme 1,

I think you are right. Though I am just a flight simmer, buying with an eye to the future is always wise. Not long before max settings will sound something like Ultra Hyper Insane.

What the chip engineers give, the gamer designers taketh away.

Flying Colander

• Upvote 2

I everyone, I've got a similar question, so I thought I'd just add it to this thread. 

My main specs are as follows:
AMD Phenom 955 @ 3.2Ghz
8Gb RAM

Nvidia GTX 560 (non Ti)

1280 x 1080 monitor

Windows 7

So I've got two questions: a.) I know the whole system needs upgrading, but what is the "weakest aspect"/the component most in need of an upgrade? b.) If it's the GPU, would the GTX 660 be worthwhile (since it seems the best in that price range, and I've got a thing for Nvidia)?

Many thanks!

Edited by LeafyPredicament

EDIT: sorry, 760. GTX 760. Too many numbers!

It'll slightly increase your electricty bills too. ;)

Hm... we're in the UK, so that might be an issue! ;D

Edited by LeafyPredicament

S!

Using a computer for a couple of hours daily has a fairly minor impact on your electrical bill. You do not run it to the maximum power at all times and it hardly does so, even when gaming. From the local electrical company's info I recall a hefty computer used regurarly for a few hours a day would add about 100€ per year to your bill, and that if it runs on full power. If you browse the net and argue on forums the usage is low :P Bigger impact on your e-bill is the temperature inside the house, if having electrical heating, and usage of warm water(if the reservoir is using electricity). Those are the 2 biggest electric eaters so to say.

If you keep, say 24'C temps inside, you will save 5% per dropped degree of temperature in your e-bill. I dropped mine from that to 20'C in other rooms and 18'C in bedroom, adjusted floor heating from 25 to 20'C and saved over 7000kWh in a year :) An impact also makes how you keep lights and other things on, even not in the room etc.

Oh well, derailed quite heavily. But bottom line. I would not worry about electrical bill when choosing my computer :)

Oh well, derailed quite heavily. But bottom line. I would not worry about electrical bill when choosing my computer :)

I know; I was joking about the UK's very high electricity bills. :D And I'm very impressed by your energy saving -- 7000kWh is very substantial!

http://www.hwcompare.com/14816/geforce-gtx-560-vs-geforce-gtx-760/

That'll be a fairly significant upgrade - you should notice the difference.

How come I've never seen that website? Seems like a great resource! Is IL2 a more CPU or GPU intensive game?

S!

Another site to check for GPU comparison, look here: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-categories/videocards.html They use most of the modern games as measurement. IMO Guru3D is pretty neutral in it's reviews, not favoring a brand. Also a good place for new drivers, even beta :)

As of saving 7k kwH a year was actually pretty simple, as I wrote. Drop temperature, stop wasting hot water and do not run lights/electric devises everywhere if you are not there :)