Sign in to follow this  
Rigsby

BOS & Oculus Rift 2

Can someone tell me if this sim still supports Oculus Rift. I am getting the Dev Kit 2 and want to try this out if it does. Thanks!

Can someone tell me if this sim still supports Oculus Rift. I am getting the Dev Kit 2 and want to try this out if it does. Thanks!

Still supports? I don't think it ever did officially support OR.

Hopefully they will work that in to the budget with time - it seems OR has enough of a following and it would be a shame for BOS to lack OR support as a feature when other combat flight simulators/games on the market do offer support.

Edited by FalkeEins

I like the comment "it seems OR has enough of a following". I'm not making fun of you but did you know Facebook just bought them for 2 Billion dollars. Palmer said their first unit on the market will be sold at cost because they've already made their money. OR is working with some of the brightest people in and out of the industry. In fact they are still tackling some technical challenges with outside help in the science community. OR just won't be for games think much bigger and broader than gaming.

Edited by 14./JG5CaptStubing
  • Upvote 1

Ah, the search function must be broken again?

Edited by [JG2]Creepermoss

I like the comment "it seems OR has enough of a following". I'm not making fun of you but did you know Facebook just bought them for 2 Billion dollars. Palmer said their first unit on the market will be sold at cost because they've already made their money. OR is working with some of the brightest people in and out of the industry. In fact they are still tackling some technical challenges with outside help in the science community. OR just won't be for games think much bigger and broader than gaming.

Do you know how many people own BoS and an OR? My guess would be somewhere around fifty currently have one or have it on order. I'm sure it has a great future but I can't see the point in spending a lot of time on it until they release the consumer version.

I can't see the point in spending a lot of time on it until they release the consumer version.

It's 50,000 or more potential customers, all currently looking to buy something to go with their hardware. I think it might be a very good time.

• Upvote 5

OR just won't be for games think much bigger and broader than gaming.

So it will make the world seem like it's in 3D? Cool!!!

They do support it.  But are waiting on their DK2 to continue support for it.

Cool, I finally got the answer I was looking for.

Seriously , if they didn't support this then they wouldn't sell as much as they could. I searched Google for an article where someone tried IL2 BOS, using Oculus Crystal Cove, and they said it was awesome. I haven't been back to IL2 for awhile because I have been busy and that's why I was keen to know it is still going to support it.

@Prangster, You need to add 49,950 to that figure and it's still counting. And when CV1 comes out you can bet it's going to be over a million.

Edited by Rigsby

They do support it.  But are waiting on their DK2 to continue support for it.

Where did they write that?

If I recall correctly, Hooves is a bit of a pioneer in this area. And I'm still grumpy about it, and I'm still NOT JEALOUS AT ALL.

[For what it's worth, someone in my squadron has sent away for the new developer's kit. He's instantly made himselt the centre of a veritable vortex (a vortex, I'm telling ya) of envy. He'd bleedin' well better "develop" something, that's all I can say. The only silver lining is that he hasn't told his missus yet, so we're all looking forward to visiting him in hospital some time soon.]

(Personally I'm hoping it'll be a game changer and will cause an almighty spike of interest and income into our hobby)

Edited by No601_Swallow
  • Upvote 3

I was mentioned several times. Recently in the Prague and play interview video.

Edited by =SE=Hooves

I just had two mates over , and I showed them Elite Dangerous in Rift. I don't know if they are religious but certain son of god was mentioned a lot :). It's great to see other peoples reactions once the initial novelty wears off. It reassures me that Rift is success. Both of them said that they will buy consumer version.

Anyone managed to win a dogfight in DCS using Rift?

Edited by Don_Kojote

After the 1c/777 2013 gamescom boot visit and the DK1 peak a new DK2 is waiting at my desk. I'm eager to find out how Bos looks and flies with it.

Considering people are buying elite dangerous solely because its really the only full fledged title that supports it right now I would imagine it should be a high priority for the devs

Any news on DevKit 2 been integrated into this sim yet? I bought BOS because it was shown on Oculus Crystal Cove, but since then I've not heard anymore. Please tell me they are going to support the Rift still given that's the reason I purchased BOS?

We won't see support for the rift until 'after' release and maybe even not until the consumer rift is available.

I highly doubt that. My understanding is getting a DK2 to Moscow tends to have it's "complications".

Edited by driftaholic

While it may be true that maybe just 50 people own dk2 and il2 at the same time. But being a dk2 owner...i also know this to be a fact...that at the moment there is an extreme dearth of vr experiences in general...so any thing that pops up for vr, dk2 owners will snap it right up, without giving it much thought.

I myself am one of those guys, my last study sim was falcon 4 back in the late 90s, also my last joystick. After that I just havent had the time or the patience to get into study sims...warthunder arcade mode is the closest i've ever come to simming (which isnt saying much admittedly).

In anticipation of my dk2 i got an x55, a g27 logitech wheel, bought assetto corsa (last car game was gt3 on ps2), downloaded dcs, bought il2 (becuz of rock paper shotgun il2 + dk1 preview). Without the rift, i was just running landing scenarios in dcs, which is a surprisingly addictive thing to do using the x55. and now i know what i've been missing. i am glad to be back into simming after such a long hiatus.

anyways, in my humble opinion its just not about adding dk2 support for the 5 dk2 owners who already own il2...its potentially tapping into the currently 50k(and growing rapidly) vr software starved dk2 owners market, that is dying to try out anything they can find in vr. These 50k dk2 owners are also the early adopters, meaning they are willing to spend money on something that might not be perfect out of the box.

Edited by Shalimar
  • Upvote 1

I highly doubt that. My understanding is getting a DK2 to Moscow tends to have it's "complications".

They had a DK1 and still didn't offer us the ability to test it to us even though it was like 'borsch and cream', besides, the last time they got a DK it was sent to Jason in the US who then sent it to Moscow circumventing many of the 'complications'

I saw IL2 BOS on steam > did a search for IL2 BOS and Oculus Rift >  got some hits, bought the game. Now I wish I read them ;)

I saw IL2 BOS on steam > did a search for IL2 BOS and Oculus Rift >  got some hits, bought the game. Now I wish I read them ;)

Yeah, similar to what happened to me, it looks like I bought into something for the wrong reasons. I did read though and saw that they had it running in Crystal Cove, so a bit different to yours. After been in the Rift on DCS, I can honestly say I have no interest in flight sims that don't support VR. 

@Shalimar - You are right, I know Live For Speed is one of those games that has sold plenty since it supported the Rift. Also, the game Elite Dangerous.

Edited by Rigsby

How the hell can you play a flight sim with Oculus Rift if you cant see your keyboard/joystick!!! Or am i missing something

You don't have to see the joystick to operate it and you can program a lot of controls into a HOTAS system. Clickable cockpits can be quite useful, but you can still use keyboard and most other peripherals with feel only.

You don't have to see the joystick to operate it and you can program a lot of controls into a HOTAS system. Clickable cockpits can be quite useful, but you can still use keyboard and most other peripherals with feel only.

I see what your saying regards the joystick but theres no way you would be able to navigate your keyboard. Think about how many commands require Alt+this key ...Shift+that key.

I see what your saying regards the joystick but theres no way you would be able to navigate your keyboard. Think about how many commands require Alt+this key ...Shift+that key.

Just few buttons in joystik few more in throttle and V.A.C.

if u assign buttons to ur hotas, then u dont need to touch the keyboard...I have done this with dcs and elite dangerous...i'm slowly working my way through il2...i assign a button as i begin to need it in game. and the assignment process is super easy. although someone raised a very good point in another thread..that once u've setup the hotas in game, a new patch will wipe that out...so the painful process starts all over again. dcs is a finished game so thats not a problem, elite has excellent hotas default button assignments, so even when they put out new patches, the hotas assignments stay amazing...its only with il2..matter of fact even star citizen has similar problems...but in that u cant even rebind buttons...unless u want to get into editing xml files...

TL;DR  if you assign buttons to ur hotas, u dont need to touch the mouse or keyboard, while using oculus rift.

Using the keyboard without looking at it is a skill that comes to you naturally once you've done enough of it, same applies to other controllers to some degree. After mapping everything you can to the HOTAS you can also remap the keyboard stuff to the buttons that are easiest to recognize blind. It's not completely trivial, but doable.

Actually it is kind of a good point, a HOTAS is pretty much a must for Rift users. After all HOTAS systems were designed to make all the combat-critical functions easily available so that the pilot can use them without looking, which means that the technology will serve Rift users well - although for a bit different reasons. There are a lot of problems with Rift, but after testing one for a while I'm pretty convinced that accessing controls isn't necessarily one of them. At least I would be willing to jump through some hoops to get controls working with Rift, the technology itself was promising enough. I'm not going to go into details here, but if anyone is interested in my experiences I think I posted a blog link somewhere... Ah here you go: http://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/2014/09/15/oculus-rift-in-simulator-gaming-potentially-the-most-disruptive-tech-since-trackir/

I just found a great use of the DK2 for patient people. I just sold it on ebay for $800 and ordered another one. Sure I'll have to wait a couple more months but I'm getting paid to :P

Edited by driftaholic
  • Upvote 1